Author Topic: Any Interest in a Real Estate Newbie Book Club?  (Read 2026 times)

Thedudeabides

• Stubble
Any Interest in a Real Estate Newbie Book Club?
« on: April 25, 2015, 01:49:59 PM »
I've been interested in looking into real estate investing for a while, but for many reasons (primarily living in a high COLA where cash flow investing does not seem viable) have unfortunately dissuaded me from learning.

After reading a lot of posts on the forum about readers having success investing in different states, I've become interested in learning more.

I am going to begin reading the books in @arebelspy's book recommendations sticky and would like to see if there are other readers interested in starting a book club. I would envision that we would start at the top of the list, work our way down the list, and start discussion threads on each book. This would allow other readers to start in at any time, although it would be great if we had a group interested in starting some of the books at approximately the same time.

If you're interested, respond to the thread and we can begin discussing the logistics (when to start, etc.).

Thanks!

nanu

• Bristles
Re: Any Interest in a Real Estate Newbie Book Club?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 01:56:47 PM »
Yes! This would be really cool.
Real estate investing is something that I'd like to get into in the future, and there's no time like the present to start learning :)

Thedudeabides

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 03:14:48 PM »

Yes! This would be really cool.
Real estate investing is something that I'd like to get into in the future, and there's no time like the present to start learning :)

Great!

There are seven books on ARS's book recommendation list.

I think I'm going to challenge myself to read a book a week and be done by the end of June.

Feel free to go as fast or as slowly as you'd like. I'm going to start a new discussion thread on each book and I'll post the links to discussion thread as an edit to the original post.

Thanks!

Thedudeabides

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 08:16:27 AM »
I finished the first book yesterday and will be writing up a quick summary. I've started on the second book.

Poorman

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 05:48:17 PM »
This is a nice plan and you will get up to speed quickly by doing this. 

Another thing you should consider is joining a real estate investor meetup to learn what strategies people are working in your market.  I found this to be especially useful early on, although I don't attend meetings as often as I used to.

The second thing I would recommend is signing up on Bigger Pockets and setting up keyword alerts for the forums to track topics that you are interested in learning.  A sample of the keywords I use would be:  'Orange County', 'SoCal', '2%', 'Portfolio Lenders', 'Appreciation'.  These are topics I'm interested in but I change them frequently depending on what I'm focused on learning at any given time.  As you can see, a couple are location specific, but you could set a keyword to a different market you want to learn about like 'Indianapolis' or 'Austin', etc.

Thedudeabides

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 05:57:23 PM »
@poorman thanks for the feedback. Great ideas on the real estate investor meetup and also Bigger Pockets. The keywords idea is awesome. I had been to the site before but was not aware of that feature.

Thanks again!

Thedudeabides

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 11:31:51 PM »
I'm just starting book three. PM me if you're also reading and want to start a discussion thread.