Author Topic: Am I being ripped off on getting the lock replaced?  (Read 4631 times)

GAR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Am I being ripped off on getting the lock replaced?
« on: January 05, 2016, 03:36:39 PM »
Hi All,

My brother and I inherited our mother's home last year, and are renting it for the time being (until we figure out whether we'd like to sell it).  We don't live nearby so have a property manager handling the rental.  Neither my brother nor I own our own homes so we are new to the ins and outs of home ownership.

We just got an email form the property manager telling us that the front door lock has stopped working.  Their handyman couldn't fix it, and the locksmith said it will need to be replaced.  It's a Baldwin mechanism/handle which apparently are very expensive, and, because of the way the lock is installed, the replacement also has to be a Baldwin lock (unless we just replace the door entirely). 

The total price quote for labor and hardware is $648.20.  Does this seem outrageous to anyone?  I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.  Thanks!

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Am I being ripped off on getting the lock replaced?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 03:43:38 PM »
Seems sort of outrageous, unless it's one of those keypad entry mechanisms, which run ~400 to purchase.

GAR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 03:50:30 PM »
Thanks for the response! It's not a fancy keypad - just a standard key lock.  The home is, however, in Southern California, where the cost of living index is high.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 03:51:37 PM »
Yeah, but I own my place in Manhattan, and that seems high to me.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 03:57:41 PM »
Seems outrageous to me, but i'll add that I've never had to stick with a Baldwin before.  What is the breakdown for parts and labor?  It's certainly possible to spend several hundred$ on a single lock/handle if you really want to.

For comparison, when I replaced our front-door lock I spent about $60 for an exterior  deadbolt + handle combo at HD.  Swapping out the locks took me about an hour (was more frustrating than I thought) but it was my first time doing it. 

Jim2001

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 07:38:37 PM »
+1 on asking for a detailed estimate.

Is it a "standard" knob and/or deadbolt or a "fancy" handle type?  I've seen older locks that were hard and expensive to get parts for, but that sounds high if you have a working key; hand cutting a new key is time consuming and may be part of the cost.

Vee2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 08:43:05 PM »
Yeah, I'd want more information. 

Most expensive Baldwin lock at Home Depot is $270 (1 model), next is about $170 (3 different models).  The standard door knob/deadbolt is like $50 each.  If it's your profession, pretty sure you can get discounted/wholesale rates.

For someone who knows what they're doing, it should like like 10 minutes of actual work...  Not sure how that adds up to $650.  If it's custom work and requires extra effort, that's one thing.  I'd be concerned that they're trying to gouge out of the area owners.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 09:20:12 PM »
If it's an old house, it might have a non-standard backset.  My FIL's front door handle was probably a 5" backset.  Standard is 2 3/8" or 2 3/4".

GAR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 07:02:01 AM »
Thanks everyone for the responses, info and ideas.  I will see if I can get more info and ask for a detailed estimate.  And just fyi, the house was built in the 1970s, and the lock didn't look fancy (although my mother was a bit paranoid so I wouldn't be surprised if she had paid extra for some sort of extra-secure lock when she initially installed it).

phred

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 09:26:21 AM »
Ask for the old lock to be returned to you as a "memento"

coopdog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 11:35:14 AM »
You could probably replace the whole dang door and lock and still come out better than that price.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 12:06:32 PM »
You could probably replace the whole dang door and lock and still come out better than that price.

Not too sure about that.  Exterior doors are pretty expensive, because they have to be weather tight, secure and insulated.  $1k-2k is pretty typical for replacing an exterior door (with labor), and $3k isn't unusual if you get a door with architectural glass set inside hardwood.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 01:08:51 PM »
Yeah, a new door and lock would be over 1K, but having said that, that bid is pretty outrageous. I just can't wrap my head around how it could cost that much.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 02:22:59 PM »

Not too sure about that.  Exterior doors are pretty expensive, because they have to be weather tight, secure and insulated.  $1k-2k is pretty typical for replacing an exterior door (with labor), and $3k isn't unusual if you get a door with architectural glass set inside hardwood.

Damn, we just bought a hardwood and architectural glass 36" door for under $200. Granted I have to finish it and husband has to hang it (and may need to reframe the entry in the process), but the cost isn't in the door itself... We got this from a salvage place, but it's new. It's actually my Christmas present. :)

But I guess it's all a bit more than the average DIYer wants to take on.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 02:38:42 AM »
That bid is pretty outrageous. I just can't wrap my head around how it could cost that much.

+1.  Waiting to hear more details.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 09:34:29 AM »

Damn, we just bought a hardwood and architectural glass 36" door for under $200. Granted I have to finish it and husband has to hang it (and may need to reframe the entry in the process), but the cost isn't in the door itself... We got this from a salvage place, but it's new. It's actually my Christmas present. :)

Of course.  DIY - especially using revitalized recycled components - is often going to give you the fraction of the cost.  I was speaking of what a GC might charge a customer to completely replace an exterior door (new parts + labor). 

I'd be very interested in hearing about how your project goes - I haven't tackled an exterior door yet (though I've had one replaced professionally).  One of my projects on my 'list' is to replace the exterior door going to our terrace with something that has a lot more glass.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 02:22:10 PM »

Of course.  DIY - especially using revitalized recycled components - is often going to give you the fraction of the cost.  I was speaking of what a GC might charge a customer to completely replace an exterior door (new parts + labor). 

I'd be very interested in hearing about how your project goes - I haven't tackled an exterior door yet (though I've had one replaced professionally).  One of my projects on my 'list' is to replace the exterior door going to our terrace with something that has a lot more glass.

That's pretty much what we're doing,  and by "we" I very much mean he who designed and built the house, the wall, and the doorway/ original door in the first place. I'll report back, but I'm very much the construction cheerleader/ part-time financier/ general dogsbody in this operation.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 02:30:47 PM by Rural »

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2016, 11:20:43 PM »
GAR - $650 seems high.  If the whole house has locks of the same age, you might be replacing more locks soon.  You might want to find out how much it would cost to get cheaper locks (and replacement exterior doors) would cost overall.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!