Author Topic: AirBNB vs roommates  (Read 6337 times)

taiwwa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
AirBNB vs roommates
« on: May 08, 2017, 04:56:46 AM »
For people who own their own homes, airBNB or roommates? I've mostly lived in roommate situations, but AirBNB might be interesting as an alternative.

So pros for AirBNB would probably be--

1. potentially higher money.
2. won't have that big of an impact on living area because only travelers.
3. variety and won't overstay welcome

cons would be

1. Not being able to develop long-term relationships with the guests
2. having to secure belongings and generally not being able to be as sloppy with the house as otherwise.
3. possibility of long stretches of nothing.

Has anyone done both? Roommates and airbnb? The difficulty would be in managing the roommate's rights and comfort in the process.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: AirBNB vs roommates
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 05:02:55 AM »
AirBnB con:
4. Need to clean bedroom, sheets and bathroom after every guest
5. Some more insecurity about what kind of person comes and whether the person pays
6. Communication with every guest about questions

I think the airBnB is more work. But a roommate is always there. Maybe you could find a roommate who is only there during the weekdays, but lives somewhere else during the weekend? A long-way commuter?

Tobias

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 08:42:20 PM »
I've done both with spare bedrooms in my home. The income can be more with AirBnB, but it is a lot more work. There is the day-to-day cleaning and looking after high maintenance guests, but also building your brand and securing guests. If you live in a popular tourist destination, the market will be over-saturated with AirBnBs that drive the prices down. The income fluctuates based on seasonal tourist demand.

I rent my basement, which is a one bedroom suite without a kitchen. Before
operating expenses, I made about $1000 a month in my off season, and $3000 a month in peak tourist season. I have a roommate right now and she pays $650 a month, but she is low impact, low maintenance and helps out with the garden and chores and pets, so I don't really mind missing the AirBnB income.

You may not be planning on it, but don't use AirBnB to find long-term renters because AirBnB takes a big cut, and in many cities guests get tenants rights after 30 days so you could end up with a squatter. AirBnB won't help you out unless you get a lot of attention on social media or can get the local media to pick up your story. Same as if your house is trashed. The company usually sides with the guests.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 12:54:48 AM »
You will make more money with airbnb, but be doing much more cleaning. If cleaning is not a big deal, then do airbnb for more money.

You can still maintain long-term relationship with airbnb.com One of my friends have hosted the same people on their annual vacation for over 5 years.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 09:27:23 PM »
AirBnB won't help you out unless you get a lot of attention on social media or can get the local media to pick up your story. Same as if your house is trashed. The company usually sides with the guests.

Had a friend with a successful AirBnB in Whistler. Their suite as semi-trashed (filthy, hole in drywall) by a group of young Australians. Despite receiving full documentation of the damage, including pictures, AirBnB offered no support whatsoever and when presented with the invoice from their (pro, specializes in short-term rentals) cleaner, informed them it was 'clearly fake'.

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 12:39:35 PM »
I did airBnB for awhile, and it was fun.  Meeting people and interacting with them prior to their stay, helping them plan the vacation and answering questions was all neat.  I didn't even mind turning over the room that much.

It did take a lot of time.

So: AirBNB is a second job.  A roommate is just extra money in exchange for putting up with someone in your house.  You vet a roommate once, you do a great job.  You will eventually start to slack on the AirBNB folks.

There is a HUGE difference between hospitality and real estate.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!