Author Topic: Air Duct Cleaning  (Read 1334 times)

oilhunter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Air Duct Cleaning
« on: October 11, 2016, 05:35:29 PM »
My tenant recently mentioned that the air in the house was starting to smell a little musty.  Luckily my annual HVAC tune up  was also scheduled in the same week it was brought it up.

My question,.. is they suggested an air duct cleaning which might improve indoor air quality as well as improve the efficiency of the unit. Are there other landlords that consider this beneficial. I do enjoy my tenant, they never made a single request in the past. I'd like for them to continue renting with me. 

Other landlords encountered musty smell in the house and how did yal address it. 

Quote as roughly $500 for a 4hr cleaning.

Thanks in advance!

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Air Duct Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 08:05:46 PM »
When was the last time they were cleaned?
Are the furnace filters changed regularly or cleaned regularly? (several times per year)

We have cleaned the ducts in all our units once since we purchased the rentals in 2001.
On our personal residence, we had them cleaned twice, the second time because of a musty smell (over 5 years apart), and the duct cleaner said the ducts were really pretty clean, except for one spot.

I'd say do it if it's been a long time since they were last cleaned. Especially since the HVAC tech said they need it.

flashpacker

• Stubble
Re: Air Duct Cleaning
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 11:39:34 PM »
If you paid for it, make sure you check if your electricity provider has a program for free HVAC tune-ups. 

This is what we have here in NV https://www.nvenergy.com/brochures_arch/ACTune-UpProgram_Brochure.pdf

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!