Author Topic: After eviction - Putting tenants in collections  (Read 2739 times)

Enigma

• Bristles
After eviction - Putting tenants in collections
« on: November 30, 2017, 09:38:50 PM »
I have been using 'www.rentrecoveryservice.com (rrs)' but will be switching to 'olddebts.com (od)'
I didn't realize it until yesterday that (rrs) uses (od) in the background.  The cost is less per person put into collections

There are different reasons you can put people in collections with (od) (unlike rrs)
 - General: Use if your debt type is not listed.
 - Medical: All HIPAA category debts, no pets.
 - Personal Services: Hair, nails , tailor etc.
 - Education: For school and education loans only.
 - Banking: For banking institutions only.
 - Rental/Leasing: For all tenant/landlord debt.

[each include reporting to all three collection agencies + Address change search]
1-ltr pkg w/collections -> rrs = $16.95  od = $12.95
3-ltr pkg w/collections -> rrs = $26.95
4-ltr pkg w/collections -> od = $24.95
(With (od) there is also bulk pricing)

++Also (od) is not limited to just rental/leasing debt.
++Also you do not need a SSN (social Security Number)

I in no way get paid to list this information.  I just wanted to post what I do after I go through the headache of evicting an individual from my units.  So if a renter moves out owing me more than $1000, I put them in collections a couple of months later.  Thus far I have put about 20 individuals in collections with just 1 letter.  It has only paid off twice in receiving money.  But it does make the next person they fill out a background check with aware they didn't meet their obligations on paying rent.

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
Re: After eviction - Putting tenants in collections
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 07:13:33 PM »
   Do they require a money judgement to start? just curious. Have been using lawyer who gets 33% of amount collected. He is a world class snake so he is normally somewhat successful.

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 01:41:23 AM »
No they do not require any money judgements by any judges.  For rental property they do require that the debt be 31 days after they have left the unit.

The individual put into collections has 90 days to dispute the collections.  In doing so they may ask you for paperwork showing that they owed you money.  Like a statement, lease, promissory note, etc.

I have put about 30 individuals into collections.  Two have disputed the collections almost 4-5 months after the fact.  None have come out of collections.  Also I haven't had to produce paperwork for anyone in collections yet.  The collections is also a flat based collections.  Using a lawyer is a strong arm attempt.  I have used that for one situation.

Aimza

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 09:43:47 AM »
What's the flat fee amount to get a tenant into collections?

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 10:22:46 PM »
All the prices are in the first post.  The minimum amount would be a 1-ltr pkg w/collections on olddebts.com for $12.95
It puts the individual in collections with all three credit (Trans, Equifax, Experian)

Satin Shoestring

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 05:41:28 PM »
All the prices are in the first post.  The minimum amount would be a 1-ltr pkg w/collections on olddebts.com for $12.95
It puts the individual in collections with all three credit (Trans, Equifax, Experian)

A few considerations:

#1 Make sure the debt collector you are using is licensed by the state licensing board for collections in the state where your properties are. This cheap price sounds too good to be true.

#2 If the evictions were through the court system and resulted in a judgment, the judgment should appear as a public record on the major three credit reporting agencies without your having to do anything. The credit reporting agencies use third party vendors who troll the court systems for public records.

#3 If the eviction was for possession only and did not result in a money judgment, but you want to collect the unpaid rent, go back to #1.

Good luck. Bad tenants are a nightmare.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 04:06:15 PM »
So you pay $12.95 and they send a letter to a tenant that owes say $1,500. If that tenant somehow decides to pay everything they owe do you get all of it, or just a percentage? Do these companies tack on additional fees to cover their costs, i.e. charge the tenant $1,800 for the $1,500 debt?

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 01:34:25 AM »
So you pay $12.95 and they send a letter to a tenant that owes say $1,500. If that tenant somehow decides to pay everything they owe do you get all of it, or just a percentage? Do these companies tack on additional fees to cover their costs, i.e. charge the tenant $1,800 for the $1,500 debt?

You have to log back into the sites to take someone out of collections.  There is no percentage and the person has to pay you directly.  Your information for payment is put on the collection letters.  There are no additional fees to cover the costs.  They offer lots of extra options that you can also do.  Send another letter, turn over debt to their aggressive collectors (could owe %age there).  I just put people in collections and move on to the next renter.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!