Author Topic: Advice/Questions to ask for interviewing a property manager?  (Read 1524 times)

Left Bank

• Stubble
Advice/Questions to ask for interviewing a property manager?
« on: April 22, 2014, 08:54:20 AM »
Hello All,
I have two, 3-family properties that have been performing really well financially but my wife and I are moving across the country soon and would like to have a property manager.  I was recommended someone through an acquaintance and would like to make sure I have thought of everything I need to know before I sign a contract with him. 

Are there common problems with using a property manager that could be addressed up front?  What is your experience with PMs? 

Please don't offer the advice of doing it myself because I will be away and I am kind of tired of "lording th'land" anyway.
Thanks
LB

AlexK

• Bristles
Re: Advice/Questions to ask for interviewing a property manager?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 09:03:26 AM »
Ask how much they charge per hour for handyman work. I had one property manager tell me they do the work themselves for $50/hr. Another one hires an outside company for $20/hr.

Ask who keeps late fees. You would be surprised but most PM's keep these, I know it's crazy. Mine gets 60% of these.

Ask to see a sample copy of a monthly and year end statement. It will show you how organized they are.

Ask to talk to one of their customers (landlord and tenant if possible).

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Advice/Questions to ask for interviewing a property manager?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 09:08:08 AM »
Some good articles to read on this topic:
http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/04/19/1-question-everyone-forgets-ask-property-manager/

http://www.managemyproperty.com/articles/hiring-a-property-management-company-25

Some metrics to look for when hiring a PM company: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2012/08/08/investment-property-management-metrics-to-track/

Some questions to ask:
   * How much do you charge for the following: monthly fee, tenant placement fee, re-leasing fee, maintenance labor?
   * How do you handle maintenance calls: send a handyman, call a contractor, do it yourself?
   * What are typical maintenance charges in terms of labor?
   * What kind of statements will I receive each month?
   * How accessible are you on email and/or phone? (not kidding, sad I even have to ask)
   * Are there any times you won’t ask for my approval for maintenance repairs?
   * How many properties do you currently manage? Do you have references?
   * What are qualifications do you look for in tenants?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.