Author Topic: Advice for rentals in the Minneapolis area? Agent referral?  (Read 1972 times)

Miss Growing Green

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Advice for rentals in the Minneapolis area? Agent referral?
« on: March 04, 2014, 11:50:29 AM »
After months of going back and forth about which position my husband should accept, we decided to take the one in Minneapolis, MN!   Our current location (Missoula, MT) doesn't have great rentals so we've been hoarding cash waiting for the next big move- which will be in August / September this year.
I'd like to get the ball rolling, hopefully with an agent, who can help us scout out our next rental.  Ideally we'd be owner-occupied while we're there (it's a 2-year job), and within 5 miles of the university.  Anybody know any good agents in the area with experience in income properties?  Or, just any general advice for real estate in the area?  Thanks!

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Advice for rentals in the Minneapolis area? Agent referral?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 12:09:52 PM »
Welcome to the Twin Cities, hope you won't miss the mountains to much.

I can't speak to much for the housing rental market, but I know there are a lot of good options near the university (I'm assuming UofM?)

I personally like the Como Minneapolis Neighborhood (1 mi) and the St. Anthony Park Neighborhood in St. Paul (2.5 mi).  The latter probably being more expensive.

I'm sure others will chime in with there experiences with the area.

salmp01

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 07:45:27 PM »
I live in the Twin Cities and own several rental properties and one is near the U of M. I have a pretty good pulse on the rental market and would be glad to talk with you.  I’ve had my real estate license for a few years but I’m not a full time agent.  PM me and we can talk offline.

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »
Hi! Congrats on the job and the move. As I recall you are also having a baby, right? Lots of big changes! I live in Minneapolis and work on campus at the U. I'd love to meet up once you're in town.

Minneapolis has some great neighborhoods. Northeast is the place for hip young parents and generally cool people. It's fairly quiet and central. It's only a few miles from the U with good bus and bike options. I've never used a real estate agent (just Craigslist and For Rent signs) so don't know what that's about. My dad (he's on this site, FishingMN) is a realtor and owns almost a dozen properties in the area. I'm sure he'd be happy to give you advice or references if you're interested. Let me know and I'll PM you his email address.

Miss Growing Green

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 08:31:09 AM »
Thanks for the offers, and the advice about neighborhoods!  PMed you both :)