Author Topic: Acceptable to email lease agreement?  (Read 1567 times)

brandino29

• Bristles
Acceptable to email lease agreement?
« on: May 21, 2015, 09:33:49 AM »
A few months ago we rented our SFH rental to a young, unmarried couple.  I wanted both of them to sign the lease (and they did) indicating that they were jointly and severally liable for rent.  Earlier this week I got a message from the girl that the guy had moved out.  She said that he was looking for a new apartment and wanted his name removed from our current lease.  I have no problem taking his name off and actually just figured I would have the girl re-sign a new lease (under the same terms) by herself.

Considering we have already reviewed the lease in person when they moved in and the contract terms won't change, is it legal and reasonable just to email her a copy of the lease and ask her to sign it electronically?  Thanks!

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
Re: Acceptable to email lease agreement?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 09:41:41 AM »
I signed the lease for my current apartment via email, since I was moving from a different state. I think that's perfectly reasonable.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 01:04:37 PM »
A few months ago we rented our SFH rental to a young, unmarried couple.  I wanted both of them to sign the lease (and they did) indicating that they were jointly and severally liable for rent.  Earlier this week I got a message from the girl that the guy had moved out.  She said that he was looking for a new apartment and wanted his name removed from our current lease.  I have no problem taking his name off and actually just figured I would have the girl re-sign a new lease (under the same terms) by herself.

Considering we have already reviewed the lease in person when they moved in and the contract terms won't change, is it legal and reasonable just to email her a copy of the lease and ask her to sign it electronically?  Thanks!
I do it all the time. This just came up in another thread too and I recommended DotLoop for ease of use. It's free and designed specifically for real estate... in my area, most real estate docs are signed that way.

brandino29

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 02:02:45 PM »
Thanks folks!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!