Author Topic: "Compound" Build in SoCal Mountains  (Read 3367 times)

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
"Compound" Build in SoCal Mountains
« on: January 05, 2021, 06:39:57 AM »
Would I be a moron for doing this?

- Buy a 15 acre lot in 2021 for $350K using 1031 funds
- Build out off-grid solar, well, small 800 sqft cabin (permitted as ADU) in 2023; total est. cost $240K
- Build 2,500 sqft main cabin in 2025; total est. cost $625K
- Purchase and both builds to be financed at 75% LTV
- Final value after both builds ???

I'd potentially move into this compound as my main retirement residence after I quit working in 2031. While I know it's probably not the optimal use of my funds over this time period, I'm considering it as a long term project to stay busy over the next decade.

Feedback and/or face punches appreciated! ;)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 01:53:33 PM by FatFI2025 »

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
Re: "Compound" Build in SoCal Mountains
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 09:40:26 AM »
I'm not sure even the first step makes sense. A 1031 has to be like-kind... a building lot for a cabin you plan to live in won't fly if you're 1031-ing out of a rental property of some sort.

Otherwise, yeah, it's a bad plan, since it sounds like you mostly want to do it because you're bored and somehow plan to keep being bored for a decade (?!?) There are cheaper ways to alleviate boredom while your money works for you in some actual investment.

-W

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 10:32:10 AM »
is this an "investment" or is this something you really really want? 'cause there is a big difference between the two, and the latter might make it OK.

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 06:03:12 PM »
Thanks for the replies @waltworks @spartana and @trollwithamustache.

Out of the things I want to do -- 1) buy a boat, 2) get another degree, 3) buy a plane, 4) buy/build a cabin -- the last seems like the least financially irresponsible option because the others are guaranteed to lose money. I was on a non-profit board the last two years which kept me busy but really sucked. What to do, what to do?

I guess I could get a piece of land in a less expensive area and DIY build, challenge myself to do the whole thing for $100K or something. To @spartana 's point, I'd have to find a county with a more libertarian permits office.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 07:18:15 PM »
The cost of building materials is out of sight right now, compounded by lack of availability. While I tend to agree with Walt in general, I especially do on this one.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 10:13:23 AM »
Yes, this reminds me of a lot of the ideas I had when bored and single.

-W

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 08:35:11 PM »
Yes you guys and gals are totally right, logically raining on my parade. I'm bored and need something big and interesting to do for the next ten years. Knitting ain't gonna cut it!

dang1

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 11:37:56 PM »
check out underwater basket weaving

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 09:52:10 AM »
Yes you guys and gals are totally right, logically raining on my parade. I'm bored and need something big and interesting to do for the next ten years. Knitting ain't gonna cut it!
Do you plan to retire early? If you have that kind of moolah to develop your own compound then I'm guessing you can - or could if invested right. Lots of interesting things you can do (even during a pandemic)to occupy your mind and body and engage with the world once you are off the treadmill of a 9 to 5 job.

Yes I plan to work through Oct. '31 for reasons that I won't get into here, but I could retire as early as '25 if I really wanted to. But even '25 is still 4+ years out, so I still need something big and interesting to do over those years. Maybe I'll keep looking for a vacation property that's much more modest but would still give me a something to continuously improve.

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2021, 12:59:09 PM »
Since you want to build something, and want to buy a boat, why not combine the two? Build a boat!

It will be much cheaper than your current plan. You should definitely start a thread to document the build.

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 06:34:35 PM »
Since you want to build something, and want to buy a boat, why not combine the two? Build a boat!

It will be much cheaper than your current plan. You should definitely start a thread to document the build.

I would love to do that! But I don't think it would be cheaper in the long run. I'd have to find workshop space, invest in all the tools, raw materials, engine, etc. And hand-built boats don't retain much value.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2021, 07:27:33 PM »
Workshop space and wood is a lot cheaper than a cool million bucks worth of land/house. And if you decide it's not your thing, you don't renew the lease.

Hobbies aren't generally investments, that's what we're telling you. Keep that in mind and you'll be fine.

-W

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2021, 08:19:17 PM »

I would love to do that! But I don't think it would be cheaper in the long run. I'd have to find workshop space, invest in all the tools, raw materials, engine, etc. And hand-built boats don't retain much value.

I fixed that for you. Boats are basically taking cash and lighting it on fire, whether you build them or buy them. I still love sailing! My personal solution has been to sail on friends’ boats, but I completely understand the desire to have one of your own.

And any boat under 35 feet will be much cheaper than your mountain compound idea. If you work on it during nights and weekends, you’ll get at least ten year’s entertainment out of the build.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 08:20:49 PM by Wintergreen78 »

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2021, 09:54:07 AM »

-W

just get married and have kids, then you wont be bored any more or have any extra money either... JK, but really its true

sounds like you need to do some soul searching on what's important to you and what you want out of life, not just look for something to keep you busy for 4-10 years. what purpose would the compound have other that to keep you "busy"?

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2021, 01:00:46 PM »

-W

just get married and have kids, then you wont be bored any more or have any extra money either... JK, but really its true

sounds like you need to do some soul searching on what's important to you and what you want out of life, not just look for something to keep you busy for 4-10 years. what purpose would the compound have other that to keep you "busy"?

Meh, you can still have plenty of money with kids. They're cheap. But bored, you will not be. Frustrated, furious, exhausted, etc, sure, though!

OP just needs an SO and/or hobby, not an expensive piece of land in the middle of nowhere.

-W

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2021, 08:04:37 AM »
Yes @spartana I like the idea of buying a fixer cabin to renovate over time. I'll need to be patient and find a place that's close enough to LA and will at least break even over the long term. I wonder if I should look at a place in an inexpensive locale like AZ and buy a little plane to putter back and forth...that's mustachian right? :D

I guess there are two areas where I'm struggling with FIRE/Mustachianism -- hobbies and housing. My preferred hobbies are expensive. Flying, sailing, building big things. Of course I can do that stuff a lot cheaper if I leave LA, but then I'd also leave behind a big city salary.

For housing I'm currently paying $2,850/mo for a 1 br. apartment and plan to buy in mid-to-late '22. In my area a 2 br. condo is $850K and a 4 br. is $1.1M. A 4 br. with roommates is obviously way better financially, but I'd much prefer to live solo in a 2 br. *Sigh* at my "first world" problems.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 03:16:24 PM »
I could be wrong, but haven't there be wild fires in those mountains?

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2021, 03:07:22 AM »
@Sibley oh yes there are wildfires. In fact, rural homes advertise tanks with fire hose hookups to defend the house.

@spartana I like the idea of doing live-in flips where I hold each property for two years then sell to get the tax break. That would give me projects to work on and I could make a few extra bucks along the way. I agree with you that the current market is bubblicious, probably due to crazy low interest rates and inventory. And for other reasons, I wouldn't start until Fall of '22.

I don't think the subject property in Big Bear is overpriced because it's vacant land, which isn't in high demand up there. 80% of buyers want a vacation rental that's generating income. I modeled it out and, pessimistic scenario, in ten years it would reduce my NW by $650K compared to not buying it. But yeah I guess worst case scenario is that it's ravaged by a wildfire, rendering the land worthless, which would cost me over a million smackers over ten years.

ETA: But I, like, REAAALLYY want a mountain compound. :D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 03:15:34 AM by FatFI2025 »

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2021, 11:43:33 AM »
Yeah, I have spent time in Big Bear and I would not want to live there year round. There is really not much "town", the skiing is almost nonexistent at this point, etc.

PC has it's own set of problems with being square and lame but there is at least a core local crowd that is fun to hang out with.

-W

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2021, 01:05:24 PM »
@Sibley oh yes there are wildfires. In fact, rural homes advertise tanks with fire hose hookups to defend the house.

@spartana I like the idea of doing live-in flips where I hold each property for two years then sell to get the tax break. That would give me projects to work on and I could make a few extra bucks along the way. I agree with you that the current market is bubblicious, probably due to crazy low interest rates and inventory. And for other reasons, I wouldn't start until Fall of '22.

I don't think the subject property in Big Bear is overpriced because it's vacant land, which isn't in high demand up there. 80% of buyers want a vacation rental that's generating income. I modeled it out and, pessimistic scenario, in ten years it would reduce my NW by $650K compared to not buying it. But yeah I guess worst case scenario is that it's ravaged by a wildfire, rendering the land worthless, which would cost me over a million smackers over ten years.

K...but why?

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2021, 06:49:46 AM »
@waltworks @spartana @Malcat Appreciate the feedback. NGL I'm both nervous and excited about the prospect -- let me try to hit on your points.

I love being in the mountains, specifically surrounded by pine trees with some privacy. This lot is perfect in that respect and Big Bear is an easy 1.5-2 hr drive for me to escape LA on the weekends.

Second, I love doing big, bold projects. A 15 acre development is certainly big for me. It would keep me busy and, if I'm smart about it, maybe I could break even WRT opportunity cost. I mean if I invest $500K in the property over ten years and those funds would otherwise go into equities, I would try to develop the property to make an equivalent return.

Third, it would be fun to have family and friends up to make memories. To @waltworks point, I do worry about the town's value decreasing due to climate change, but there is still snow to ski and there are things that can be done to increase water to the lake.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2021, 07:17:07 AM »
Well, this sounds more like a passion project than anything else.

To me, it all depends on how much money you have and how much you want tied up in real estate. If you have millions outside of these two real estate ventures, then go ahead and chase your mountain compound fantasy.

If this is going to be a large portion of your NW, then I don't quite understand it.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2021, 08:40:23 AM »
Go visit some other ski towns. Or just mountain towns.

Big Bear is at the bottom of my list and I've lived in/spent time in almost every mountain town in the west.

-W

PMJL34

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2021, 12:04:16 PM »
Holy shit Walt! I just redfin'd Park City. The prices are beyond insane.

Do millionaires just buy winter cabins there to ski or do people live there year around?

How does a community like yours even exist/support itself?

The local mountains near me is Tahoe and it's very popular, but no where near as expensive as yours. What gives?

I swear everyone has so much money lol! My mind is blown.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2021, 02:03:48 PM »
Holy shit Walt! I just redfin'd Park City. The prices are beyond insane.

Do millionaires just buy winter cabins there to ski or do people live there year around?

How does a community like yours even exist/support itself?

The local mountains near me is Tahoe and it's very popular, but no where near as expensive as yours. What gives?

I swear everyone has so much money lol! My mind is blown.

It depends on the neighborhood. A lot of the slopeside condo/ski in ski out mansion stuff is second homes for billionaires or celebrities. Those places are only occupied maybe 1 month a year, and they're concentrated around Deer Valley.

Outside of that, most normal houses are $1.5-$3million bucks. But believe it or not there are:
-A lot of people who can afford that, especially post-Covid.
-A lot of people (ie us) who bought many years ago for a fraction of that.

Things really went nuts (ie, up 50% or so!) this year. People realized they could work from anywhere, they saw that the schools here are decent and holding classes in person, and the outdoor recreation scene in general went nuts, which is sort of our big thing.

If you can get over living in Utah, that is.

For what it's worth, if I wanted to build a "compound" and live surrounded by trees, I'd look at the upper Midwest (and in fact I might buy a place there this year). CA and the whole intermountain west stand a good chance of being pretty undesirable in 10-20 years due to drought/fire/climate change, IMO.

-W

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2021, 03:45:38 PM »

As I read the thread I agreed with other posters who responded that if you want a project to occupy your time there are other options.

But then I came to your  post here.

I live on rural acreage in my dream home located  in the mountains about ~35 miles from the entrance to Yosemite National Park.

I call it my "mini Yosemite."

You could call it a compound.

Elevation is ~2700 feet where there's not much snow and winters are mild.

At elevation > 4000 feet there is much more snow and it's much colder.

If you really want to have a mountain compound buy one,  have one built to your specifications, or DIY.

If it turns out you don't like it you can sell it.

I don't think that will happen because you "REAAALLYY want a mountain compound."

Living in the mountains on rural acreage is a lifestyle  that offers maximum freedom because your neighbors are far away.

The air is clear and the views spectacular.

The only serious drawback to living in a mountain compound is the risk of wildfire.

Though during a wildfire my house caught fire (fascia) it was easily  saved because   the fire department's engine was yards away.

To reduce the risk of destruction from a wildfire have a  roof  made of metal and exterior walls covered with *fire-resistant siding made of fiber cement.

You also have the option of a metal house or one made from concrete/brick/stone.

Be sure all outbuildings are made of metal.

And CLEAR, CLEAR, CLEAR all flammable vegetation and  material away from the buildings.

May you enjoy your mountain compound.

*Protecting Your Home From Wildfires | James Hardie Proswww.jameshardiepros.com › blog › protecting-your-ho...
Oct 31, 2018 — FEMA stresses that fire-resistant siding is critical to avoiding ... Amongst the many benefits, James Hardie® fiber cement siding and trim are ...

« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 03:50:57 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

PMJL34

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2021, 03:47:10 PM »
Yeah those prices in Park City aren't for millionaires, they are for billionaires. The entry price for a vacation home there is more expensive than Palo Alto primary homes. Nuts!

I definitely hear you on the positives and agree that there's huge appeal. It sure looks beautiful, but hot damn 5million is beyond steep. For that price, you guys must have slopes made of snow that never melts and is warm to touch!

Climate change is certainly affecting Tahoe, but for now, it's beautiful and an awesome place year around. I guess I might as well enjoy it while I can.

I enjoyed Big Bear a few times when I was in LA, but agree it doesn't compare to the rest of the places being discussed. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 03:49:07 PM by PMJL34 »

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2021, 04:01:20 PM »

I love being in the mountains, specifically surrounded by pine trees with some privacy.

The redolence of the pines on my property is wonderful.

And so is the swish of the wind as it blows through the spaces between their needles.

I've  a lifetime supply of oak firewood to boot.

And privacy, privacy, privacy too.

Typically, I hear  NO man-made sounds; that's how remarkably peaceful it is up in the mountains.

For me it's paradise.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 04:07:26 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2021, 07:27:16 PM »
Like @spartana I'm in the area to be close by family. LA is not my first choice city and Big Bear is not my first choice ski town, but it's the only ski town I could realistically visit every weekend. There are two other mountain communities I'm interested in, but neither has any skiing at all.

@John Galt incarnate! I'm thoroughly jealous. I love Yosemite and visit it often...was just there over Thanksgiving. Thanks for stepping in and sharing your experience.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm still on the fence. On one hand I know building a mountain getaway is not the financially optimal thing to do. On the other hand, I keep coming back to the potential that I'll regret passing up this piece of land in five or ten years.

Fuzz

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2021, 11:32:36 AM »
I think Walt's comment about single guys having this thought is hilarious. I would have had the same thoughts as a single guy.

Anyway, if you're a pilot, check out the factory assist build of the sling TSI in Torrance. Youtube mojogrip. Great way to have a 250K hobby. You can be at big bear in 30 minutes!

But the general idea of sinking that much money/net worth into a recreation property you'll use 1/12 of the year is pretty crazy.

If you want to 1031 the money, can you just get a few yurts up there and call it good? Also, I wouldn't believe anything a realtor tells you about whether the HOA or county or anyone will let you build an ADU first, or avoid minimum lot sizes, or speed of permitting.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2021, 11:39:51 AM »
Out of the things I want to do -- 1) buy a boat, 2) get another degree, 3) buy a plane, 4) buy/build a cabin -- the last seems like the least financially irresponsible option because the others are guaranteed to lose money.

Is it just me, or is that list really, really, really weird?

You list 4 things that you want to do . . .
1) buy a boat
2) get another degree
3) buy a plane
4) buy/build a cabin

but 1, 2, and half of 4 aren't actually examples of doing anything.  Buying shit is not doing something.

1) Go boating more often
2) Become more educated
3) Fly a plane (often?)
4) Build/Live in a cabin

Those would be examples of doing things . . . and all of them can be cheaper than your original list.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2021, 10:27:13 PM »
I have stayed in that Motel 6 for a few NORBA nationals and it is indeed craptacular and expensive!

-W

SanDiegoFIhopeful

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2021, 03:24:41 PM »
I have had similar daydreams*, but with climate-related concerns about Big Bear/Arrowhead, my dreams take place further north in the June Lake area, close to Mammoth but much smaller and cheaper, and close to Yosemite. In 10 years my car will just drive me there anyway, so why not go a bit further to access better snow/lakes/hikes? :)

In my plan, I would be buying a fixer on a large-ish lot that was just nice enough to rent out year round or in 6 month stints (one stretch for fishing/lakes season and one for ski season), then I would eventually update the house and build an ADU. I think it would be burning quite a bit less cash than starting with an empty lot, but when I run the numbers it's still not helpful to my FIRE plan unless you factor in substantial appreciation, which I would not want to plan for (although I think a case could be made for that area to appreciate a lot even if it will never catch up to Mammoth).

*then my son was born. Now that DW and I are both working from home while taking shifts watching him, my daydreams are much smaller LOL.

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2021, 09:22:35 PM »
I think Walt's comment about single guys having this thought is hilarious. I would have had the same thoughts as a single guy.

Anyway, if you're a pilot, check out the factory assist build of the sling TSI in Torrance. Youtube mojogrip. Great way to have a 250K hobby. You can be at big bear in 30 minutes!

But the general idea of sinking that much money/net worth into a recreation property you'll use 1/12 of the year is pretty crazy.

If you want to 1031 the money, can you just get a few yurts up there and call it good? Also, I wouldn't believe anything a realtor tells you about whether the HOA or county or anyone will let you build an ADU first, or avoid minimum lot sizes, or speed of permitting.

I get to build my $1M compound and a $250K plane -- this is a version of mustachianism that I'm really liking haha!

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2021, 12:23:25 PM »

I get to build my $1M compound and a $250K plane -- this is a version of mustachianism that I'm really liking haha!
Or.... you could go full mustashian and ride your bicycle up there and back every weekend and just rent a room. That 8,000 plus elevation gain plus 100 miles will likely fix the boredom and big project lust - assuming you don't die that is ;-)!

Ha, yes death would do the trick!

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2021, 12:24:45 PM »
Based in part on y'alls feedback, I'm leaning away from this project, like 80% I'm not going to do it.

I hope I don't look back a few years from now, pockets full of dough, and say to myself "wish I hadn't let that one pass me by."

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2021, 12:13:08 AM »
Based in part on y'alls feedback, I'm leaning away from this project, like 80% I'm not going to do it.

I hope I don't look back a few years from now, pockets full of dough, and say to myself "wish I hadn't let that one pass me by."
Meh. With that much dough in your pockets, you'll find something you like better.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!