Author Topic: Where to get a good bed  (Read 49034 times)

JeffC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Where to get a good bed
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2014, 05:19:25 PM »
I got a bed 12 years ago from the scratch and dent area of the fancy furniture store, I think it was a steinhafel's? It was purchased and returned because the people who bought it couldn't fit it up the stairs of their place and got a full instead.  It was maybe a $2500 queen set that was marked down to 1000.  might be worth a look.  It seems like the discount mattress places would have lower quality since they were built as discount mattresses.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2014, 06:10:09 PM »
We bought a latex mattress about 10 years ago at a sample sale from a local mattress company.  It looks and feels exactly like it did the day we bought it.  We buy it a new memory foam topper about once every five years. 

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2014, 02:04:21 PM »
Thought I would update this thread.  I recently (as in today) purchased a new mattress.  I heavily considered the tuft and needle after reading about it in this thread.  I decided against it.  Many of the reviews commented on how firm they are, this was confirmed by several forum members in this thread and others.  I appreciate their business model, but ultimately it was not for me.  I purchased a Lucid 12" memory foam mattress.  For the size, it was cheaper than TandN, and a majority of the reviews are positive.  I'm somewhat concerned about the off gassing, but some people say they don't notice it.  We shall see.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GMS0BG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After sleeping on it for a few weeks I'll check back in and update how its going.

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2014, 11:52:27 AM »
My problem with the Tuft and Needle mattresses is they look like they're Asian-style very firm mattresses. I've slept on those before and, I don't care how good for you they're supposed to be, I find them incredibly uncomfortable, even after a couple weeks sleeping on them.

We took the plunge and bought a 10 inch Tuft and Needle mattress.  Unpacked it 6 days ago,  After 5 nights of sleeping on it, here's what we have found:

• The smell is nearly gone.
  • The mattress is, indeed, quite firm.  I feel like my hips are too high in relation to my shoulders.  Maybe that's just the transition from a 14 year old mattress.  Being so firm also makes side and stomach sleeping difficult.

We will eventually move the 2 inch memory foam topper from our old bed to this one, which I think will fix the too firm and side sleep problems, but for now we're getting acclimated to it on its own.  And we like it.

Edit 2014.12.11: 2 weeks in, smell is gone, and foam has expanded enough that it's actually NOT as firm.  Comfortably sleeping on our side and stomach now.  I guess that memory foam topper is going in the closet after all.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 10:02:16 AM by RelaxedGal »

lemondirgopie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2014, 09:51:53 AM »
A few years ago I made our bed frame using this lifehacker instructions (with no woodworking experience):

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cheap-easy-low-waste-platform-bed/

We then later bought a tuft and needle mattress. Killer combo!

Decalin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2015, 06:01:46 PM »
I have the queen size of this mattress: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Slumber-1-8-Mattress-In-a-Box-Multiple-Sizes/14225185 and I've been happy with it, for the price. The Box will fit in the back of a standard sedan, and no worries of bedbugs that can be present in mattresses in the south (Used or new!). I have an ~40 memory foam topper on it. We're planning on selling this mattress and just ordering a king when we get settled in California.

Dimitri

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2015, 10:23:18 PM »
...Over a decade ago, my wife convinced me that a tempu-pedic was an "investment". Despite my skepticism and horror at paying over a grand for a big lump of foam, I'd have to agree it was a great idea.  Slept well ever since.  It has it's disadvantages-  not as great when the weather is in the 90s without a/c, and pricey up front are two.  But it works exactly as it did over 10 years ago, and at this rate may be the last one we ever buy.  Maybe the "other" foam mattresses are just as good, but even I'm not complaining about the price anymore.

I've had a Tempur-Pedic pillow since 1994 when I bought one from a co-worker that fell off the back of a truck.  $30 for a pillow seemed high at the time but he said it was worth it and boy was he right.  I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I didn't get a Tempur-Pedic mattress until 2002.  Why I waited so long I don't know.  It is one of my regrets that I didn't buy one years earlier.  Simply the best.  If memory serves correct I paid something like $1,900 for a king sized mattress and box spring.  And I would pay it again in a New York minute. 

You sleep one third of your life.  You deserve a comfortable sleep.  Buy a Tempur-Pedic and don't look back.

Irishmam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2015, 01:16:47 AM »
We researched mattresses recently after our 5 year old mattress from Costco became unbearably saggy. We discovered that the big mattress companies are now only making 1sided mattresses, so they need to be replaced sooner because you can't flip them every month or so.Well this didn't appeal to this mustachion girl, so I researched a little more. You can purchase "Hotel Style" 2sided mattresses from the big S companies, AKA Sealy, Serta, etc, but you have to specifically request them or shop online. BTW I believe Costco, BJ's and Sam's only sell one sided mattresses. Hope this helps, YMMV.

lynnie0921

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I love me some MMM
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2015, 11:41:43 PM »
I haven't read through all of the comments, so I am sorry if this is repeated......My husband and I wanted a GREAT bed.........so looking at Macy's we saw "hotel" beds for like $5K....UH...NO.  So, I kept researching hotel bedS and came across

https://www.shophampton.com/productGroup.aspx?mattress

We got the same set as the Hampton Inn, Queen size, with "white glove" delivery for about $1500.  This was about 8 months ago...It is AWESOME!!

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2015, 07:15:02 AM »
Thought I would update this thread.  I recently (as in today) purchased a new mattress.  I heavily considered the tuft and needle after reading about it in this thread.  I decided against it.  Many of the reviews commented on how firm they are, this was confirmed by several forum members in this thread and others.  I appreciate their business model, but ultimately it was not for me.  I purchased a Lucid 12" memory foam mattress.  For the size, it was cheaper than TandN, and a majority of the reviews are positive.  I'm somewhat concerned about the off gassing, but some people say they don't notice it.  We shall see.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GMS0BG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After sleeping on it for a few weeks I'll check back in and update how its going.

So far, I have to say that I love this mattress.  My wife is still on the fence.  She says it's to firm, but I think it's slowly breaking in to the point where she likes it.  Neck and shoulder issues I was having with my old mattress have gone away.

We let the mattress "rise" for about 2 days.  The off-gassing was present for about a day.  I haven't noticed it since.  The wife made mention of it a few days after, but has since acknowledged it is completely gone.

Overall, I would recommend this mattress to anyone in the market. 

The Resilent Dame

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2015, 05:54:13 PM »
Another vote for Sleep Number, mainly for the longevity. We were contemplating a sleep number many years ago but were talked out of it at a very reputable local furniture store. We spent quite a bit on a king sized spring mattress. A couple years later we were tired of the craters and unevenness. Went to the sleep number for that bed, and for all other beds in our house and never looked back.

One thing we've learned though is to stick with the very basic models. You don't need to know your exact number. You don't need the fancy special sheets. No, no, no no, to all the upsells. You may have a frustrated salesperson but you will end up with a bed that will feel the same years later. Also, my parents had gotten a sleep number and fell for the memory foam type top. The problem is that thing eventually developed cratering, which negated the point of the air chambers.

Stick with the very basic model and buy a separate replaceable foam topper if you need the squish.

zkate

« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2015, 11:49:09 AM »
Build one!!! I am a girl and I have built 90% of our furniture with a Japanese hand saw, a drill, a hammer, hand sander, some wood filler, stain and polyurethane. It also helps that my home depot doesn't charge for how ever many millions of cuts of wood I need :)

Anyway, anawhite.com beautiful plans that are easy to use. Since we had a bed frame I just did a headboard but I think it would be cheaper to make the frame with wood. She has plans for both.  When I built a couch, I used www.buyfoam.com for the cushions (I suggest medium or the Cadillac foam but it does cost more). You can price it out on their website.

Good luck! Also, she really likes kreg jigs and they do make life easier but if you aren't going to build several pieces then it's not worth $100. I didn't buy mine until someone paid me yo build a dining table and the proceeds paid for it. I didn't realize I was going to build so much or it would have been a great upfront purchase...

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2015, 01:15:19 PM »
We researched in Consumer Reports, then bought a very reasonably priced memory foam mattress for about $800 from Costco.

Now about 6 months into it I can't believe we didn't do it sooner.  We sleep better and the quality is excellent.

Costco has one of the best return policies around.  If you get your new mattress and it doesn't work out, they'll come pick it up for free with no hassles.  I have had them pick up another furniture purchase and I can attest to their great guarantee and customer service.

I think there's a lot of hype when it comes to mattress-buying and people spend WAY too much money -- and I say this as someone with lower back and hip issues.

DangleStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2015, 01:10:03 PM »
I bought a bedroom set from Costco for ~$1600 and it was fine, but over the course of the 2nd year I lost a few ball bearings from the drawers, and the bed started to creak more.

TBH if I were to do it all again, I would probably get a metal bed frame and just a headboard/footboard combo.  Different styles for different people though.

For the mattress:
I've heard great things about the Casper mattress as well as Leesa. They deliver it for you to try for a while, and if you don't like it, they take it back w/o charging you anything.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2015, 01:30:23 PM »
On that note, has anyone built their own memory foam mattress?
I did.  It was quite a few years ago and it held up better than I expected.
I bought everything online.
I bought a generic foam queen mattress (but not the cheapest I could find).  It came tightly wrapped in a tube shape.  When I cut the wrapping, it grew and grew - very much like a life-raft that gets accidentally inflated on a sit-com.
I bought a 3" memory foam topper - but I only bought a twin size.
I bought some 3 inch upholstery foam.
I bought a mattress cover for a 9" mattress.
I laid the memory foam topper across the mattress sideways and cut the 'overhang' off with a serrated knife.
I put the memory foam where my shoulders to hips will be. 
I cut the upholstery foam to fit/cover the mattress where the memory foam didn't.
I put the mattress cover over it all to hold it together.
I flip or rotate the mattress and/or the topper every year or so.

FoundPeace

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2015, 02:47:16 PM »
I'm thinking about getting this floor futon for my 2 year-old. We think it would be the safest option for him, it is cheap, and my brother (who lived in Japan for a few years) says they are very comfortable. Depending on how we all like it, we might switch over to their king size when our current bed is done.

Has anyone else done the floor futon thing?

Thalassa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2015, 08:48:39 PM »
Pre-mustachian, I bought a wool bed from Shepherd's Dream.  If you are into a firmer bed, it is an interesting option. I liked the idea of natural fibers and no flame retardants or other chemicals. 

CashFlowTurtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2015, 09:05:32 AM »
Amazon

Memory foam mattress under $400 easily.

I bought a queen sized sleep innovations mattress about two years and couldn't be happier.  I've also bought twin memory foam from amazon.  Look at the reviews, they tend to be accurate.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2015, 09:12:16 AM »
All these votes for Sleep Number, but I will share a cautionary story. DH and I got a Sleep Number as our 'reward' for paying off debt and ABSOLUTELY HATED IT. We slept on it for 3 nights of misery. It's basically a glorified airbed, so I could feel the squishiness of the air every time I moved, and that was with with a 4 inch cool gel memory foam topper on top of it. Awful experience. Plus we had to pay about $60 in return shipping costs to return the darn thing, so that was a big bummer. They also kind of harassed me when I called to set up the return. "Why didn't you sleep on it the full 7 nights?" Uhh, maybe because it sucked, and I didn't need 7 nights of awful sleep to know that? We happily went back to our regular pillow top mattress. When it's time to replace, I would just go to a mattress store when they're running a sale and spend $1k on a traditional mattress.

I've also read good things about Tuft & Needle, no experience with them, though: https://www.tuftandneedle.com/

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2015, 10:17:23 AM »
I'm thinking about getting this floor futon for my 2 year-old. We think it would be the safest option for him, it is cheap, and my brother (who lived in Japan for a few years) says they are very comfortable. Depending on how we all like it, we might switch over to their king size when our current bed is done.

Has anyone else done the floor futon thing?

We don't do floor futons because we sometimes have spiders.  I just feel better off the ground.  We do have a futon mattress on our king platform and a twin for our toddler.  I love that ours is made out of natural cotton and wool.  It also was cheap and came with a 10 year warranty.  It took me a while to get used to the firm mattress, but now I find it much more comfortable. 

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2015, 10:26:35 AM »
We've been pleasantly surprised with the Ikea memory foam mattresses. We got a their mid-range queen size one for about $300 and it's still in perfect condition 5 years later. I am sure this mattress will last at least 10+ years. And my husband who has had back issues in the past loves it.

We bought an IKEA Sultan Hansbo a few years ago and haven't been very happy with it. It's cratering and not very comfortable. I'm looking to replace it when we move in a year and a half.

On that note, has anyone built their own memory foam mattress?

IKEA mattresses typically have a long warranty,  mine was 25 years,  not even a top of the line model.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2015, 10:51:32 AM »
We just got a Tuft & Needle about a month ago, and we have it on a metal frame with wood slats. I really like it! I do not find it too firm - the first couple of nights I did feel like my hips were up kind high, but I don't notice it anymore. Can't say anything about longevity, obviously, but so far it works great. We can toss and turn and get up early without waking each other, which was not the case on our previous innerspring mattress (which I liked fine when I was living on my own, but it was less great for sharing). We also went from Queen to King, so that's part of what I like about it. I think I've been sleeping noticeably better on it. And FWIW I haven't noticed a big difference in terms of "active response." And it was so easy! Just order it online, and it shows up on the porch a week later.

Field123

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2015, 03:40:42 PM »
I saw Tuft and Needle beds talked about over at ERE and now I want one.

I can vouch for Tuft & Needle. I bought the King size about 6 months ago and absolutely love it! With regard to the firmness, it's definitely firmer than the pillow top mattress I had before, but it certainly is not uncomfortably firm. I'd say its my favorite mattress I've ever owned.

latetotheparty1977

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2015, 08:52:42 AM »
I also couldn't be happier with my Tuft & Needle mattress (queen). Bought a couple of weeks ago. The smell goes away in a couple of days. I found out about it thanks to this forum!

eostache

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2015, 09:07:28 PM »
I think it's been about 10 years now that we bought a basic firm queen size mattress and box spring from Denver Mattress. It was the cheapest one with a flippable mattress at $300 for the whole set. It's still going great and very comfortable! I keep the mattress rotated regularly: spin in the spring, flip in the fall.

Mirwen

• Stubble
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2015, 09:37:43 PM »
I second Denver Mattress.  I chose Denver Mattress because of the Consumer Reports ratings and price.  I bought a King set with a latex layer and delivery for about $600.  It has a longer warranty than the standard coil mattresses, but not as much as the full latex.  Overall I've been pretty happy with it.  It does have some depressions, but it is still comfortable and doesn't seem to be getting worse.  When I purchased I was having a lot of back trouble and I thought a new mattress would help.  This one, now 2 years old, hasn't helped, but it hasn't made it worse either.  I would buy it again, but maybe wait until my old mattress completely wore out before switching.

arcangel911

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2015, 07:12:25 PM »
We swear by the [expensive but insanely comfortable] Tempur-Pedic beds.

Don't judge me ;-)

You can have all the money in the world, but ask yourself this.... "How much is a good night of sleep worth?"

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2015, 07:24:33 PM »
Nobody has mentioned ours yet- we're really happy with our Stearns and Foster

FrogStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Get there...FASTER!
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2015, 11:50:35 AM »
I bought a king-sized memory-foam multi-density, gel-something or other, from overstock more than a year ago.  $500-700 delivered to my door.  We got the medium-firm, but that's a personal preference thing.  I will buy my next bed from them again.  I love the bed, and the process couldn't have been easier.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2015, 07:45:25 PM »
Goto the mattress underground website to learn all about mattresses. We spent 1400 on a 100% latex king size mattress at spindle mattress online and love it. You'll learn that the "s brand" mattresses are marked up low quality junk. 

cerebus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2015, 07:25:00 AM »
Has anyone had any experience with Casper? I've heard them advertised a lot on The Talk Show podcast. It's $850 for a queen sized which seems like a pretty good price to me, but I don't know.

https://casper.com/mattresses

teadirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2015, 10:18:16 AM »
I bought a king-sized memory-foam multi-density, gel-something or other, from overstock more than a year ago.  $500-700 delivered to my door.  We got the medium-firm, but that's a personal preference thing.  I will buy my next bed from them again.  I love the bed, and the process couldn't have been easier.

Another recommendation for Overstock.com. I purchased a queen sized innerspring futon mattress from them earlier this year for about $270. I'm a young guy and could sleep on anything if I needed, but I find this bed very comfortable. I shopped around town, and this thing seems to be much higher quality than anything else I found in the same price range.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2015, 10:26:21 AM »
Has anyone had any experience with Casper? I've heard them advertised a lot on The Talk Show podcast. It's $850 for a queen sized which seems like a pretty good price to me, but I don't know.

We bought a Leesa in March which is a similar price point to Casper (ours was $815 for a queen after coupon, they always have coupons). We'll see how it holds up in the long run but so far we both love it. I like a mattress a little on the softer side and my bf likes it a little firmer; this is a nice happy medium firmness for us. According to the internet it seems like it's a little softer than T&N. Also works just fine for sex (I was so annoyed at how hard it was to find reviews of this key element of mattress use on the internet... I was worried that switching from spring to foam mattress would be bad but it's not).

JKLescher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2015, 03:19:24 PM »
Sleep Like The Dead does have some data on this: http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/mattress-sex.html
It's nice to see that someone does. This isn't really the kind of thing you can test out in the showroom without causing a scene.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2015, 04:46:13 PM »
Sleep Like The Dead does have some data on this: http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/mattress-sex.html
It's nice to see that someone does. This isn't really the kind of thing you can test out in the showroom without causing a scene.

hahaha exactly! And that is a helpful resource, but I just thought it was funny that that's one of only 2-3 references on that topic I found in all of my mattress research :P

OttoVonBisquick

• Stubble
  • Eisen und Blut und Pfannkuchen
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2015, 08:37:01 AM »
Forgive me if I didn't see a post that mentioned this, but I have a Goodwill near here that sells about 20 different mattresses, all of them considerably cheaper (duh) than buying retail, and likely perfectly fine. If you don't have a goodwill, google '(your city) donation store' and there will probably be a place for something like this. Perhaps Denver is unique in this respect, but I imagine most major-ish cities would have this opportunity.

Also, everything is cheap at Goodwill. Maybe I just love Goodwill.

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2015, 12:59:02 PM »
This has been the wife & I's bed (well, part of it) for a few years. I call it a camp-style bed, but really it's just 1x4s, 2x4s, screws & lag bolts scrounged from a job site. After inheriting a family hand-me-down double bed from the earlier half of the 20th century, locally made with similar (moveable) slats, I never wanted anything with a box-spring again. An added bonus is all the space under the bed for storage. I could have fancied it up, but with skirting over it all you see is the four legs anyway, so it looks fine. We did shell out for a mattress, though not that much - about $250 for a 10" futon mattress with pocketed coil springs. By far one of the most comfortable beds you'll ever sleep on.

I have a buddy who works as a furniture salesman, who regularly regales me with the ludicrous markup in that industry. Really many of the products are low-quality crap, so it amazes me how conditioned people are to buy expensive bed combos.

Don't underestimate the make-it-yourself option.

That looks exactly like my bed frame that my mom and I built during one her visits when I was trying to keep us busy. We built it over two days. We used plans that I found somewhere online. It's great--exactly what I wanted. Very stable and with plenty of room for the dog to sleep underneath.

My mattress is a Bed Boss. I know, I had never heard of them either. This is the one I have https://www.thebedboss.com/mattress/memory_foam/products/visco_elite--full#mattress-specifications, but I paid less for it locally. I've had it a couple of years, I guess? So far so good, but I do wonder how long it will last.

cliffordru

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2015, 08:40:11 PM »
Bought a 14'' novaform gel memory foam mattress from costco for $400 and have been real pleased with it.  It comes in a ~3.5' box with wheels so easy to get from store to home.  Once you open the plastic seal, it expands.  Firm enough to sleep on your back and soft enough for side sleepers.  Plus, if you are dissatisfied, you can return it.

OlyFish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
I have chronic back issues (two back surgeries by the age of 25, yay!) and so we sprung for the tempur-pedic for our main mattress. It was a great investment. I used to wake up with back pain probably 4-5 days out of the week, at least, and now it's like 2 days a month, if that.

if you want a good memory foam mattress that is not iron-clad, for less than $400, I would recommend this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Signature-Sleep-12-Inch-Memory-Mattress/dp/B005A4OO80/ref=sr_1_2?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1435772704&sr=1-2&keywords=memory+foam+mattress&pebp=1435772720271&perid=14JT6QR8WJG1A9JR9DB7

we have it in our guest room. The price varies widely month to month--I think when we bought it it was like $250.00. The 8 inch foam mattress is even cheaper, at $180. it comes in a human-sized duffel bag. it doesn't sleep quite as well as the tempur-pedic, but it's about 1/10 the cost.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache

Betterlate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2015, 01:35:47 AM »
Here's my first post and .02¢

I have had tremendous luck with Craigslist. I believe a bed is one area of your life that can afford opening the wallet a little. In my area (Bay Area) there are a tremendous amount of very affluent people. This method has worked both times I've needed a bed. I search a very specific term, 'dux bed' I scan everyday for a minute and within a couple weeks the right mattress pops up. What I've looked for each time is a bed in a wealthy area that has been used in 'guest bedroom' I'll pay 1.5k for it. What I have gotten both times is an indistinguishable from new 8-10k duxiana mattress that makes for a very restful nights sleep. If you are not in a very metro area it may be harder. Mine have both come from Marin county ca. Use discretion obviously, I'm not advocating for buying a grimy used mattress. I would wager that the two mattress I purchased were slept on less than 10 nights before being sold after 1-2 years. 7 and 3 years later I consider some of the best investments I have ever made.

Michael S

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2015, 03:02:33 AM »

I have a Queen-sized Casper I've owned for 6 months, and quite happy with it. Looking at Tuft & Needle, I think they're likely pretty similar now, but haven't tried any Tuft & Needle beds for comparison.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2015, 09:35:51 AM »
Hi - OP here....  Well, I turned my current piece of crap bed in for a warranty replacement with Slumberland and after sending out a technician to take measurements to see if our sleeping spots on the bed were "sunken" enough - he came, he measured - and he approved a new mattress and box spring.

So I get the pleasure of picking out a new mattress from Slumberland (I am sure they will find a way to charge us $200-$300 dollars....)  and try to convince them to deliver the bed to my house, since we originally paid for delivery of the first bed purchased.

I will spend more time picking out a quality mattress (and remember that higher $$ doesn't mean better mattress by any means!)  And try to get something made with quality materials that don't compress as easily.   Thanks for all the suggestions and links!

Went to the store this weekend and hated the sales lady.   Without even asking us what we were looking for she started to parade us across the sales floor to try (of course) the 2k-3k beds.   I stopped her and tried to tell her what we were looking for and what problems we were having but it seemed to fall on deaf ears.   I would ask her about the quality of materials in the cushion and springs, and she would start to tell me about the "cooling layer at the top."   

Also she really pissed me off.  She was trying to sell us the new 3K miracle bed and I wasn't interested.  I told her I wouldn't be purchasing a 3k bed, and she told me it would really only be 1.5k because of the credit we have on file! 

Oh and then she told us about all the other things we could purchase as well.  The new protectant cover that protects against germs - it has silver threads!   And we could also purchase metal beams for our bed frame to improve that as well!

She then showed us the temperpedic beds which were higher priced as well.  Immediately when I laid on the bed I got a mouthful of the chemical smell and told her I wasn't interested.  She was very rude and pushy - telling us that this was the best bed and the one we really should get.  I told her absolutely not, the smell was bothering me already and plus - I am pregnant so I don't need to be inhaling all those chemicals for 8 hours a night!  She was very argumentative and in an accusing tone asked me if I went to work.  Because I could just take the cover and sheets off every day while I was at work and air out the bed for the month it takes to lose the scent.

Needless to say we will not be working with this woman again and will be making our purchase with a better sales rep.

Sounds like every sales person I've ever dealt with. Can't stand salespeople and avoid such establishments. Took six plus weeks to buy our first new car (yeah, yeah - pre-MMM) b/c of this kind of BS.

Thank you everyone for some great pointers. Building a bedframe soon for our teen and then buying a mattress for him and one for us. Our mattress predates him... ;)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 10:31:53 AM by Joe Average »

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2015, 07:01:11 AM »
Just this weekend, I had a new mattress from Amazon delivered.  We got the full size and it was $409 with free shipping.  We slept on it all weekend and DAMN! it is the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on!  And I used to have one of the $1800 memory foam mattresses.  I loved that one too, but the quality is extremely similar.

Brentwood 13-inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJZ17PY/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00JJZ17PY&linkCode=as2&tag=tayloropolis-20&linkId=2BHOGS2ZMFLAI6FC) (PS- that's an affiliate link)

We used to have a king sized bed, but it just won't fit in our new house so we switched back to my old full-size, with a mattress I've had for a decade.  It was fine when it was just me, but it was really bouncy so every time one of us moved (or the cats came into bed), we got jostled and woken up.  This is excellent in that there is no movement transfer.  I'm so pleased with it.  To have a good night's sleep after weeks of bad ones is so wonderful.  I woke up on Sunday morning thinking "I would have spent $5,000 on this!"

ClassyCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2015, 10:11:25 AM »
I'm a huge Tempur-Pedic fan, partially because I have back problems and it eases them, and partially because I love the squishiness. I haven't tried other memory foam mattress brands so I'd love to know if they feel equally comfy. I have a Tempur-Pedic now but was lucky enough to get it for only $300. It belonged to my old landlady and she said I could take it if I bought her a replacement, so I'm extremely thankful for that. The only downside is moving them, because they're completely dead weight and have no rigidity to allow for easy movement like standard mattresses.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2015, 01:22:09 PM »
Forgive me if I didn't see a post that mentioned this, but I have a Goodwill near here that sells about 20 different mattresses, all of them considerably cheaper (duh) than buying retail, and likely perfectly fine. If you don't have a goodwill, google '(your city) donation store' and there will probably be a place for something like this. Perhaps Denver is unique in this respect, but I imagine most major-ish cities would have this opportunity.

Also, everything is cheap at Goodwill. Maybe I just love Goodwill.
There is no way on gods green earth that I'd ever buy a mattress from goodwill.  You have no way of knowing what is INSIDE it!

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2015, 11:35:25 PM »

Then I made the mistake of checking the internet for prices on those same mattresses that I liked in the store, and they were typically 40-50% cheaper online.  I went back to the stores and explained that I was happy to pay a little extra  beause they have overhead and a showroom and helpful sales people, but their prices seemed awfully high.  They wouldn't budge, and were very critical of my online price comparison shopping, as if I had somehow betrayed their trust.

How did you find the comparable mattresses online?  I've read that mattress stores go out of their way to have a different model number on a mattress specifically to make it very difficult to truly compare.  I mean, you can't be trying to write down models in front of the clerk, right?  I want to do this, please share, lol

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!