Author Topic: When Is Upgrading AllTrails A Good Value?  (Read 1784 times)

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
When Is Upgrading AllTrails A Good Value?
« on: October 24, 2021, 03:41:08 PM »
Hey fellow Mustachains! Since the wife joined me in FIRE, we've been enjoying hiking more frequently: sometimes 3 or more times a week. We've been using our robust collection of trail guide books. Because we wanted more options, we've started branching out and using AllTrails. We're wondering if anyone has an opinion on when upgrading to Pro--where one can download their maps to your device--is a worthwhile value. We'd like to hear all the reasons that you either decided AllTrails Pro was worth it or not. Thanks!

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
Re: When Is Upgrading AllTrails A Good Value?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 04:45:21 PM »
I'd say never. I tried out pro when they had a pandemic deal last spring. It was a bust. Those so-called downloadable maps still weren't viewable on the phone if you were in a deadzone. Customer service was no help at all. I can just snap a screenshot of the map, or print a free map off of Caltopo, and it was much more dependable than trying to use offline maps on AllTrails. I still use the free version, along with WTA app (similar to alltrails but only for WA), to look for hikes.

I was using a Pixel3 (android), not sure if their iphone app is better.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 05:16:26 PM »
I am not a fan of AllTrails, because I have found misleading and incorrect info there for hikes I'm familiar with.  I have not personally tried using their maps, but some people I worked with this summer got led off-trail while using them.

I use the GaiaGPS app to download offline maps when I hike.  I have no idea about the pricing now, but it was a 1 time $20 purchase when I got it years ago.  Their baseline map is pretty good, but this year I discovered they have different map layers available, and I found some trails I was looking for on the USFS map layer.

I have also used Avenza Maps because my local trail organization provides those maps free with membership, but I have not tried any additional for-purchase maps on that app.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 01:25:30 PM »
I love alltrails but haven't figured out why paying would be helpful.

The only time it occurs to me to download a map is once I'm at the trailhead and already have no cell signal. Too late at that point!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!