Author Topic: What Podcasts are you listening to - Part Deux  (Read 14567 times)

newton

• Stubble
What Podcasts are you listening to - Part Deux
« on: March 06, 2017, 03:16:51 PM »
Hello Fellow Mustachians

A while back I inquired what podcasts people were listening to.  There was a lot of great info shared.  I used the information to find some new podcasts to listen to.   Since that time I have narrowed my podcasts down to:

Mad Fientist - Usually like the topics.  Less than an hour.  Good stuff
Stacking Benjamins - About an hour.  Ok topics.  Don't usually walk away with much but good listening.
Freakonomics - About an hour.  Love the topics.  Always interesting.
Planet Money - About 20 minutes.  Interesting and variety of topics.
Cal Cast - Just because you have to love the University of Kentucky

I'm looking for some additional ones to listen to.  Please reply with your favorite podcast and indicate the reason why.  Please also indicate how long the podcast is and how often it comes out.  Please just respond with your 1 favorite podcast

Looking forward to your responses.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What Podcasts are you listening to - Part Deux
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 03:26:23 PM »
Side Hustle School, by Chris Guillebeau. www.sidehustleschool.com

Chris is giving us a side hustle success story every day for this whole year. Some of the stories are a little zany, all are interesting. Each episode is only 7-10 minutes long, so it fits in perfectly in those little blocks of time throughout the day. Many loves. Such awesome.

Ed Mills

• Stubble
  • Join the FI Revolution Y'all!
    • The Millionaire Educator
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 10:26:35 AM »
I've been listening to Choose FI  http://www.choosefi.com/category/podcast/FI.  I even did a podcast with Brad and Jonathan:  http://www.choosefi.com/457b-free-money/

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 10:52:45 AM »
Joe Rogan Podcast

2-4 hrs in length and typically posts 4-5 per week.

I've been really into this podcast for about the last 6 months or so, but I've been listening on and off for a few years.  He does a good job of bringing on interesting guests from all sorts of backgrounds.  He regularly has comedians and fighters, but he also has a good mix of scientists, strength and nutrition professionals, political guests...etc etc

Recent episodes that were really good.

Henry Rollins Interesting views on the world and travel.  He is an engaging story teller

Leah Remini Interesting look into scientology

Gary Taubes Nutrition focused episode

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 12:12:40 PM »
Dan Carlin's Hard core history is my new jam.

I like some of Ezra Klein's interviews. 

Cracked podcast, but only the ones with David Wong/Jason Pargin.

Reveal is also really good.

I liked Serial when it was running, both seasons.

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 02:02:20 PM »

Felicity

• Stubble
  • ruff!
    • Fetching Financial Freedom
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 02:18:34 PM »
Right now Bad With Money with Gaby Dunn http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/panoply/bad-with-money

Roughly 40-minute episodes, once a week (new season starting soon!), all about money-related issues. Hers is the one podcast where I must immediately listen to it as soon as I realize there's a new episode. Gaby Dunn herself is hilarious, and most of the episodes involve interviewing others about their relationships with money, like growing up with class anxiety or how "Death is F*cking Expensive"

Also anything by Gimlet Media is fantastic.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 07:12:04 AM »
Another Dan Carlin "Hardcore History" fan.  They only come out every few months but they are long 2+ hour podcasts.

newton

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 03:47:20 PM »
Right now Bad With Money with Gaby Dunn http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/panoply/bad-with-money

Roughly 40-minute episodes, once a week (new season starting soon!), all about money-related issues. Hers is the one podcast where I must immediately listen to it as soon as I realize there's a new episode. Gaby Dunn herself is hilarious, and most of the episodes involve interviewing others about their relationships with money, like growing up with class anxiety or how "Death is F*cking Expensive"

Also anything by Gimlet Media is fantastic.

Great.  Thanks.  Never heard of it and will check it out.

newton

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 03:47:59 PM »
Another Dan Carlin "Hardcore History" fan.  They only come out every few months but they are long 2+ hour podcasts.

Thanks.  Probably too long for my liking. 

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 06:34:11 PM »
Documentos RNE
Democracy Now
History Chicks
A German podcast that reads the news slowly. It's great for my level of German!
Cinco Continentes

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 07:02:32 PM »
You asked for one but listed five so I'm going to break the rules and list five. 
1) How I Built This: NPR 30-45 minutes about how people started their successful businesses.
2) Welcome to Night Vale: quirky 20-30 minutes horror comedy.
3) Stuff You Should Know: ~1hr various topics; always interesting (to me).
4) Bigger Pockets: ~1hr real estate.
5) History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps: 15-20 minutes self explanatory from the name.

newton

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 09:54:19 AM »
I make the rules :)

Thanks for the info!

gearb0x

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 11:29:20 PM »
http://www.theminimalists.com/podcast/

been listening to the back catalogue of these guys recently, a bit repetative but alot of info/ideas that transfer well into ERE/moustachism

trashmanz

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 11:52:02 PM »
http://www.theminimalists.com/podcast/

been listening to the back catalogue of these guys recently, a bit repetative but alot of info/ideas that transfer well into ERE/moustachism

I find them VERY repetitive. 

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 08:29:35 AM »
Jocko Podcast = extremely motivational, though perhaps not for everyone.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 08:36:58 AM »
PTF.
Always been a This American Life fan. But looking for more.
Tried The Minimalists, and while I enjoy many of their blog posts I find the podcast repetitive and annoying.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 11:28:06 AM »
Definitely 2nding Reveal. Good pace, very clear, and they have interesting stories. Love it.

spookytaffy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 02:01:32 PM »
If you like real crime-- Case file is amazing!  He's Australian so sometimes the accent is a little thick.  Also the first 6-8 episodes are much more amateur until he gets a "real" studio voice and help.  From then on, it's fantastic.  The first episodes are good, but he tends to drop his voice and ramble a bit.  Someone obviously started coaching him after that. 

Lore--also great!  Based on all sorts of real-life creepy stories from history to present.

taiwwa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 03:51:21 PM »
I have so many podcasts that to get through all of them each day I'd have to devote like 6 hours.

The best ones I've run across are--

Motley Fool Money. Best stock discussion I've found.

Side Hustle. really short, really interesting.

Vox Weeds and 538 are the best politics podcasts.

And of course there is the standard NPR fare like Fresh Air, This American Life, Radiolab, etc.

The one podcast that I assiduously avoid is NPR politics. Too much national politics.

Mustachio Bashio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2017, 09:31:57 AM »
All things Gimlet media.  My favorite is Reply All, which is about internet related topics and run generally 30-45 min.  That's the one I listen to as soon as it comes out.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2017, 10:23:49 AM »
I listen to TED radio hour. Lots of interesting subjects.

I listen to a Norwegian podcast, Pengerådet, about how to be smart on money.

redwagon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2017, 10:29:39 AM »

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2017, 10:19:12 AM »
Waking Up with Sam Harris is by far my favorite podcast.  Sam has been unjustifiably vilified from pretty much every direction but I've always found that people who disagree with him actually disagree with a strawman distortion of his arguments.  In the podcast he engages in long (~2 hour) discussions with people on topics including the nature of consciousness, morality, ethics, philosophy, AI, meditation, and recently politics.  He comes at all of these topics from a philosopher/scientist's point of view.  Episode #53 "The Dawn of Artificial Intelligence" is one of my favorites.
I also like Vox's "The Weeds" for policy (not politics) discussions and the "You are not so smart" podcast.  Episode #72 "The Dunning-Kruger Effect" was a particularly good episode of that podcast.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 06:10:15 AM »
PTF

TaraB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • my journal
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2017, 06:36:28 AM »
All things Gimlet media.  My favorite is Reply All, which is about internet related topics and run generally 30-45 min.  That's the one I listen to as soon as it comes out.

Seconded Reply All. (I've been working through the Gimlet podcasts myself).

My other pick is fairly mainstream- NPR's Invisibilia. (my psych major is showing).

sultee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2017, 10:37:08 AM »
I noticed that no one mentioned comedy podcasts so Last Podcast on The Left is a HILARIOUS comedy podcast about weird sometimes dark topics.

Generation Why / Sword and Scale / Undisclosed / Serial - All true story/crime
Brute Strength / Barbell Shrugged - Fitness podcasts
Abe Lincoln's Top Hat - balanced politics with some humor

Forever Wednesday

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2017, 08:56:20 AM »
Waking Up with Sam Harris is by far my favorite podcast.  Sam has been unjustifiably vilified from pretty much every direction but I've always found that people who disagree with him actually disagree with a strawman distortion of his arguments.  In the podcast he engages in long (~2 hour) discussions with people on topics including the nature of consciousness, morality, ethics, philosophy, AI, meditation, and recently politics.  He comes at all of these topics from a philosopher/scientist's point of view.  Episode #53 "The Dawn of Artificial Intelligence" is one of my favorites.

Seconding this recommendation.

I will also throw in Shaun Stevenson's "The Model Health Show" as a recommendation for health & fitness podcasts.

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2017, 03:57:16 PM »
Not FI related, but the Beef And Dairy Network podcast is absolutely hilarious. If you like British comedy give it a try.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2017, 12:12:42 PM »
Pod Save America - twice weekly, about 60-90 minutes per episode.  It keeps me sane in this insane (political) world.

Sword and Scale

I used to be into S&S until I saw things surface about the host (Mike) being a creep and harassing people online.  He got arrested for DUI, too.  So I stopped listening in part because of that, and in part because he seems to have no empathy for mental illness but would rather portray those people as "monsters."  Just an fyi on the creep/harassment thing if that factors into your listening choices.

Waiting until "Convicted" wraps up so I can binge on that podcast (another true crime case).

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2017, 02:02:47 PM »
My favorite podcast changes every once in a while, but since I can only pick one, the one I almost never miss is Pod Save America. I second DarkandStormy's comments about it. It's hosted by guys who worked in the Obama White House and they are smart and funny and interview interesting people. They drop the f-bomb a lot, which always get you on my good side, but they actually know what they're talking about as well. I think it usually comes in at under an hour and comes out twice a week. Crooked Media produces it and there are other associated podcasts to check out too (Pod Save the People especially which is more about race and social justice issues). 

Every time one of these threads comes up I subscribe to more podcasts! I'm going to have to purge--my Podkicker is getting too confusing.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2017, 03:12:44 PM »
Crooked Media produces it and there are other associated podcasts to check out too (Pod Save the People especially which is more about race and social justice issues). 

Pod Save the World - foreign affairs, international relations
Pod Save the People - like you mentioned, geared more to racial and s.j. issues
With Friends Like These - "Ana Marie Cox, political columnist and culture critic, sits down with liberals and conservatives, pastors, writers, activists, and other people you should know for an open, funny, in-depth conversation about what divides us - a show about listening instead of arguing."
Lovett or Leave It - "Jon Lovett, former Obama speechwriter and co-host of Pod Save America, is joined by comedians, actors, journalists, and many, many renowned Friends of the Pod for a roundup of the week's top news. Rants! Games! Bad impressions! Nuanced discussion! Recorded in front of a live audience."

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2017, 02:06:16 PM »
I also like Vox's "The Weeds" for policy (not politics) discussions and the "You are not so smart" podcast.  Episode #72 "The Dunning-Kruger Effect" was a particularly good episode of that podcast.

Sam's podcast is fantastic.

In the health arena, I listen to Robb Wolf's Podcast (Paleo Solution) as he has branched out quite a bit and doesn't just cover paleo. Also like Dr. Rhonda Patrick's blog.

2ndGenFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2017, 01:57:55 PM »
I just caught all the way up with "ChooseFI." Probably the best FI podcast ever. Also listening to the Mad Fientist now.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/choosefi-radio-podcast-financial-independence-early/id1187770032?mt=2

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2017, 03:28:40 PM »
Joe Rogan Podcast

2-4 hrs in length and typically posts 4-5 per week.

I've been really into this podcast for about the last 6 months or so, but I've been listening on and off for a few years.  He does a good job of bringing on interesting guests from all sorts of backgrounds.  He regularly has comedians and fighters, but he also has a good mix of scientists, strength and nutrition professionals, political guests...etc etc

Recent episodes that were really good.

Henry Rollins Interesting views on the world and travel.  He is an engaging story teller

Leah Remini Interesting look into scientology

Gary Taubes Nutrition focused episode

Yes!  You and I would be buddies IRL.  Everyone I've met that listens to JRE is right up my alley.
I've actually gotten into BJJ, archery because of him, as well as the physical fitness aspects.

The psychedelics I'm holding off on...

Fave recent ones were Neil deGrasse Tyson and Josh Barnett.

saveORspend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2017, 01:54:43 PM »
Another huge fan of Hardcore History, his episodes are basically like super engaging ebooks. Don't be thrown off by the long run time, easy to listen to them in chunks. I've gone through everything freely available and have purchased the rest of the backlog off his website for a reasonable price. I am a bit of a history buff though...

Also like to listen to a Joe Rogan once or twice a week depending who is on.

When I'm looking for other things to listen to I usually go through the back catalogue of Radiolab or Tim Ferriss to find something interesting.

On the FI front, Mad Fientist, Radical Personal Finance and Financial Mentor are my go to. I've been throwing in some Choose FI, its growing on me, but a little repetitive so far.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2017, 08:27:17 AM »
I've added the following podcasts to my interminable 35 minute one way commute, listening at 1.5x speed:
Tim Ferriss Show
-Hit or miss.  I give it 10 minutes and if it's inapplicable I delete and skip.  Silicon Valley tech oriented 'hacks' to optimize life.  Usually the techniques are too cluttered: drink yerba mate at x time, do a myotactic crunch at y time, you have 27 pounds of weight loss in 4 weeks.  When he interviews successful people is when it's time to listen.

ChooseFI:
-Lots of prose as mentioned in other threads, a little bit too florid and hackneyed phrases such as 'levers', 'pillars', 'gauntlets', 'unpacking' can test the limits of attention, but what other options are there?  Again as above, the guests provide the most useful content, they are interviewers, and the sooner they realize that and trim down speech it will improve.  Glad to see people in this FI space doing it though, good on them.

Revisionist History:
-need useless facts presented in an interesting fashion?  Malcolm gladwell is your man, and has always been your man, to calculate the tax benefits vs square footage of the brentwood country club.

Wait wait don't tell me, NPR news quiz show:
-I'm on the low information diet as per Tim Ferriss' four hour work week, but I listen to this show for a weekly blurb on headline and other silly news presented in a fun, palatable, game show fashion, with a witty host, comedian contestants, and a famous guest on every week.

The Moth radio hour:
-story time!  My favoritest or second favoritest.  Weekly story telling hours across the country, the best are culled into this collection, and they have a theme chosen beforehand: theft, love, etc.  I'm so happy I found this, it keeps the story-telling tradition alive, and since they've only picked the best ones, be prepared to have your emotions manipulated and laugh out loud, smile broadly, wipe tears from your face, or beat your chest, all while driving.

MadFientist:
-an FI OG

BiggerPockets:
-financial freedom through real estate investing, two hosts interview those that have ALREADY become successful in real estate.  Don't take advice from people with less than you, or who haven't done it themselves.  Duh, right?

Radiolab:
-see revisionist history, above

Dan Carlin's Hardcore history:
-I have most of the episodes, and am waiting for an epic cross-country commute to get into it.  History is so interesting, and especially the way he presents it, it's clear that he has a commanding grasp, and expounds on details and minutiae not to the detriment of history, but as interesting facets.  35 minutes is too short and I always feel regret leaving the car, wanting to hear more.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2017, 08:54:42 AM »
Have about 12 episodes to catch up on ChooseFI - there's a separate thread dedicated just to that podcast.  Hit or miss.  Lots of corporate-style talk echoed by icecream above.  Great enthusiasm and the guests really bring great insight into their specialty.  Seems like they are going a bit more "real world examples" with some of their case studies.  Will probably keep on the recurring list.

Mad Fientist will be next.

Got introduced to Invisibilia on a recent road trip.  Seems interesting and probably one I will pick up here and there.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2017, 08:59:12 AM »
Joe Rogan podcast...train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night...all day! 2-4 hrs, 3-5 times a week, but most guests are pretty interesting and super varied.

Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast: 1.5 hr on Monday, .5 hr on Thursday. Just a stand up comedian rambling to himself. Sometimes life is too serious and it's fun to hear an uneducated dude ramble about random things, although with a fair amount of good wisdom.

brookebcollin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2017, 01:27:49 AM »
Vanguard: Investment Commentary
The Free Investors
WACC
The Minimalists
Science vs
From Scratch: NPR

mmmfan500

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2017, 06:37:31 PM »
I've been listening to podcasts obsessively for five years now and am subscribed to dozens. However, the best podcast, bar none, is The Joe Rogan Experience. He is a master conversationalist and the show is always funny and insightful whether the guest be a politician, pornstar, or podcaster.

Honorable mentions:
The Daily - New York Times daily podcast, about 20 minutes, in-depth breakdown of the biggest news of the day
Revisionist History - already mentioned
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - already mentioned
Dan Carlin's Common Sense - Dan Carlin discussing, with his vast historical perspective, a current political event
We Study Billionaire's - an investing podcast, usually a review of a book or an interview with a successful investor
Sword and Scale - true crime
Radical Personal Finance - outstanding and practical financial podcast
Impact Theory with Tom Bilyeu - in-depth interviews with successful people
The Art of Manliness - interviews with experts in wide-ranging fields from history to weightlifting to survival, always educational

As you can see I listen to way too many podcasts. And this wasn't even my complete list...

brookebcollin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2017, 01:46:02 AM »
Lingthusiasm - A podcast that's enthusiastic about linguistics by Gretchen McCulloch and Lauren Gawne.
From Scratch - A podcast that "explores the entrepreneurial life with leading pioneers from the business world, the social sector, and the arts"
The Minimalists - How to live happily with less by Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus

bankrupt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2017, 03:49:08 AM »
Side Hustle School and the Joe Rogan podcast.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2017, 03:40:57 AM »
I tried a new Norwegian podcast today and listened to it while working to work. The pod lasted for more than an hour. It was an interesting subject and was good to listen to. I'll try the rest of the episodes as well.

Done by Forty

• Stubble
    • Done by Forty
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2017, 05:41:26 PM »
My regulars are:

-The Daily by the NYT: does a deeper dive on one front page story
-Freakonomics
-Planet Money
-Stacking Benjamins (was lucky enough to be a guest a couple times...so am totally biased)
-Neighbors
-Welcome to Nightvale, when I want some dark fiction
-Marketplace (I often look forward to this in the afternoon..great way to end the day)
-FIRE Drill podcast is a cool new one in our space. I think they've got great potential.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2017, 07:11:09 PM »
I just found 'ReplyAll' it is a bit of tech real life mysterys.
https://gimletmedia.com/show/reply-all/all/
I suggest #104 to start and if you enjoyed that,
#102 (and I warn you it's a two part) and #103
so you will kill a total of 1-1/2 hours,
because you will want to hear part two!

keeneye

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Moneyhawk App
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2017, 12:10:50 AM »
I second EconTalk. Even if you disagree with some of the views, I really enjoy the way the host respectfully challenges his guests and invites a discussion on equal terms. Exemplifies discussion in pursuit of extending human knowledge and problem solving.

Another good one, if you're a science nerd, is This Week in Parasitism. The three hosts are experts who adorably banter (but not too much) as they read mail from readers, review the answer to the last episode's case study, and present a new case study. Despite the topic, it's not too gross.

moneysprout

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2017, 11:21:42 AM »
Ben catching up lately on MadFientist and just started listening to ChooseFI.  Both are great!

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2017, 02:02:43 PM »

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2017, 09:22:09 AM »
MadFientist
ChooseFI (really enjoy Monday episodes, Friday are so-so)
FIRE Drill Podcast (fairly new and improving)
Afford Anything (really enjoy the early ones with a co-host, I find newer stuff as Finance 101)

Other stuff in my rotation involve Tim Ferris, Motley Fool Money (weekly not daily), and The Minimalists.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!