Author Topic: What books have changed your life?  (Read 115602 times)

bray144k

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What books have changed your life?
« Reply #300 on: August 26, 2019, 10:23:00 AM »
My list is nearly endless...
There are a ton of great niche-specific books I read over the years. But if I had to choose a handful of books that everyone can (and should) read:

• The Guide for the Perplexed - Maimonides: The most important book I've ever read, period. Particularly recommended for people interested in philosophy and religion. Reading it felt like swallowing a bottle of red pills.
  • Thinking Fast & Slow - Daniel Kahneman: Us humans are littered with "bugs". Read this if you want to understand them, avoid them and "exploit" them in others. A must-read for anyone interested in investing, psychology, marketing, business, sales, communication... did I miss anything?
  • 4 Hour Work Week - Tim Ferriss: Definitely a paradigm shifter. Although there are some things I later came to appreciate less about the book (sensationalism, lots of survivorship bias, overly simplistic at times etc') - it's still the bible of internet businesses and lifestyle design
  • Letters from a Stoic - Seneca: The most practical Stoic philosophy book (and philosophy in general) I've ever read. Seneca's letters had a massive impact on my life... I applied many of his teachings in my own life and keep returning to his letters from time to time.
  • The War of Art - Steven Pressfield: A must-read for creators of all kinds (artists, entrepreneurs, authors etc')

Working through the letters of Seneca right now. I'm really enjoying his philosophy.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #301 on: August 26, 2019, 10:30:07 AM »
"The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous, and Broke" by Suze Orman. Good basic information on personal finance for people who have never been exposed to it before.

"Your Money or Your Life" by Vicki Robin and Joe Dominguez. Basically the bible of FIRE.

"A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeleine L'Engle. Yes, a children's book but a very good examination of the fact that religion and science are not in opposition to one another but instead complement each other for human beings to live good lives.

"Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius. Good introduction to Stoicism and placing reason before emotion, in general.

justinhurt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #302 on: September 05, 2019, 01:11:07 AM »
The book that changed my life was Jonathan Livingston Seagull written by Richard Bach. It's about a seagull who is trying to learn about life and flight, and a homily about self-perfection. I strongly advise reading this book. It's appropriate for people who want to find the right way to go further and the right place in life.

Custom Concern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #303 on: September 12, 2019, 04:28:12 PM »
Richard Dawkin's "The Selfish Gene" interested me in evolution, ultimately leading to a PhD and my current career path

Stephen King's "Misery" got me thinking about becoming a writer (oddly enough, if you know the story you'd expect the opposite to happen)

John Steinbeck's "Winter of Discontent" main-lined me into American literature

vand

• Bristles
« Reply #304 on: September 13, 2019, 01:13:13 AM »
I have just finished the audiobook "Drive" by Daniel Pink.
It's a look into advanced social science.

Mind absolutely blown.

5/5.

freedomfightergal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #305 on: September 16, 2019, 08:58:16 AM »
"The War on Normal People", by Andrew Yang, I literally walked around in a daze for a couple of days, as the constant light bulb moments pinged my brain.  I'm so excited such a brilliant intellectual like him is running for President.  I hope more people read his book and understand the need for his cutting edge policies.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #306 on: September 16, 2019, 01:46:59 PM »
"The War on Normal People", by Andrew Yang, I literally walked around in a daze for a couple of days, as the constant light bulb moments pinged my brain.  I'm so excited such a brilliant intellectual like him is running for President.  I hope more people read his book and understand the need for his cutting edge policies.

Too bad he doesn't have a chance =(

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #307 on: September 16, 2019, 03:48:17 PM »

"An Edible History of Humanity" and "A History of the World in 6 Glasses" (by Tom Standage)
Not really life changing, but I found the insight on how food supply (or its disruption) shaped civilizations very interesting.

I also just finished the recommended "To Kill a Mocking Bird" - I lived it very much!

Next up: Walden and Cat's Cradle.

ericbonabike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #308 on: September 17, 2019, 09:57:53 AM »
In chronological order:

Voltaire's Candide
Huxley's Brave New World
Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land
Heller's Catch-22
Those 4 books made me into the anti-authoritarian, independent, absurdist thinker I am today.

Coyne's Why evolution is true.
A very excellent read as to why evolution is true.

Collin's Simple Path to Wealth
An elegant and simple description on how to accumulate money.  Started me down the path of FI and minimalism ( I want to be the monk).

savetheeffort

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Save The Effort
« Reply #309 on: September 22, 2019, 04:09:49 PM »
I've enjoyed:

"What got you here won't get you there."  - Marshall Goodwin
"Deep Work"" - Cal Newport
"Start with Why" - Simon Sinek

johnchanceradio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #310 on: September 28, 2019, 01:33:11 PM »
A Wrinkle in Time.  The first book read as a child that made me realize,  WOW books can be cool.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #311 on: September 29, 2019, 06:06:32 AM »
Most recently, Atomic Habits by James Clear.

Very actionable, and mind blowing in how quickly you can make changes in your own life.

2sk22

• Bristles
« Reply #312 on: October 08, 2019, 02:48:15 PM »
  • Pebble in the sky by Isaac Asimov. The first science fiction book I ever read. I now have a collection of over 1000 classic SF books from the 50s to the 70s.
  • Having fun in electronics by Leo G. Sands. Thanks to this book, I became an electronics hacker and then that led to computers. I have been working on computers ever since.
  • The moon is a harsh mistress by Robert Heinlein. This classic science fiction novel was my first introduction to AI and intelligent computers. This motivated me to get into the AI field in the 1980s and get my PhD.
  • The soul of a new machine by Tracy Kidder. Absolutely captivating account of the computer industry in the 70s and 80s.
  • Jonathan Livingston Seagull The idea of striving for perfection resonated strongly in me.
  • Men at arms by Terry Pratchett. My introduction to Discworld.

EscapedApe

• Stubble
« Reply #313 on: October 10, 2019, 01:09:26 PM »
Anything written by Thomas Sowell. I'm convinced he's the smartest person in America. But especially his book Basic Economics, which breaks economics down very plainly. No charts, graphs, or formulas - just historical examples and statistical evidence.

lisabobisa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #314 on: October 11, 2019, 06:37:07 AM »
I read The Food Revolution by John Robbins, decided to eat vegetarian and never looked back.

I first read To Kill a Mockingbird in 7th grade because my sister had it assigned, and my mom showed us the movie.  I reread it again in 9th grade, and then again (more than once) as an adult.  It's amazing how much more I got out of it as an adult, but it resounded with me as a 7th grader too.

1984 scared the poop out of me, but I couldn't put it down!  It still blows my mind that this guy wrote this book in the past about the future, and I was reading about his futuristic-past in his own future.  Still scary re-reading it today because it could still happen! (But he should have titled it 2084).

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #315 on: October 11, 2019, 06:51:26 AM »
I recently read The Road by Cormac McCarthy and it left me with a book hangover. I had avoided it because I thought it was just a post-apocalyptic story, but it's so much more.

Maverick1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #316 on: October 11, 2019, 11:26:38 PM »
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

abbuyt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #317 on: November 05, 2019, 08:45:39 PM »
7 Habits of Highly Effective People.