Author Topic: What bicycle do you own?  (Read 28014 times)

FIRE2b

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What bicycle do you own?
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2020, 03:32:23 PM »
Looking for advice on buying my first new bike ever. Ive had a bonelli chromoly for ages, and Ive been totally happy with it, but its getting to the end of is life. I ride on average 5km per day, half road and half gentle trails.
I want something that can handle snow and rain (southwest ontario), and is pretty durable, but above all cost effective, and advice?

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2020, 03:52:50 PM »
Looking for advice on buying my first new bike ever. Ive had a bonelli chromoly for ages, and Ive been totally happy with it, but its getting to the end of is life. I ride on average 5km per day, half road and half gentle trails.
I want something that can handle snow and rain (southwest ontario), and is pretty durable, but above all cost effective, and advice?
Might be worthwhile looking at a Surly...

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2020, 04:37:41 PM »
My first thought was a Surly too...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2020, 07:33:58 PM »
You need two bikes.

Anything you ride in the snow in southwest Ontario will also be ridden in lots of salt.  This is very hard on:
- Cables (brake and shifter)
- Components (Chain, cassette, derailleurs, shifters, pedal axles, brakes, etc.)
- Wheels (axles and bearings, as well as quick releases)
- Frame (I use an aluminum frame for my winter bike due to rust concerns).

You want mudguards, shifters that will work with heavy gloves/mitts on, and the cheapest components you can get away with because they'll just melt away with the salt.  You'll probably want different tires on your winter bike too.  Even with meticulous cleaning you'll end up replacing almost everything on this bike every 2-4 years.

Then have any nice bike you want for the spring/summer/fall.

bloodaxe

• Stubble
« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2020, 03:16:52 PM »
I have a KHS Vitamin A. I bought it new when I was in college ~4 years ago for ~$500. $500 was about 1/3 of my checking account at the time :P

For a hybrid it's very fast. I commuted to school every day with it. And then every day for my first two years of work.

I'm unfortunately in a situation where I can't bike to work now, but I use it on the weekends to get groceries using a trailer.

Would recommend if you can't find a better deal on craigslist.

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2020, 12:07:49 PM »
I personally own 3 my wife has 2 as well.

Hardtail MTB: 2018 Specialized Fuse Comp (bought used)

FS MTB: 2018 Rocky Mountain Instinct BC 90 (bought used)

Gravel Bike: 2020 Diamondback Haanjo 5

First purchase was the hardtail as the area I live in has become huge into mountain biking, so I figured I'd dip my toes in and see what it was all about. I absolutely fell in love and about 3 months later I found a great deal on a used FS. I decided to keep the hardtail for a change of pace and in case a friend or someone from out of town came in and needed a bike. This spring (right before Covid) I did a 45 mile greenway ride with a friend. I road the Fuse with 3 inch tires and he had a road bike. That ride convinced me I need something with less friction for longer rides on the greenway, so I found a great deal to get the Haanjo new at about 30% off and it was actually in stock, which basically no bikes were during the pandemic.

I admittedly spend a decent chunk of money on bikes, but it's one of my main hobbies and I probably typically do about 10-15 miles of mountain biking a week and about 10-20 miles of greenway riding per week as well, so IMO it's worth the investment.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2020, 01:54:03 PM »
I just decided to own the bike company so I could have all the bikes I want. :)

-W

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2020, 03:03:35 PM »
I just decided to own the bike company so I could have all the bikes I want. :)

-W

Very jealous :) I kind of want an E-MTB now, so I can hit the longer trails that I don't have the legs for. I'd love to get in a good 40 miles, but about the best I've done is ~25 split up by lunch and a few hours off.