Author Topic: What bicycle do you own?  (Read 27931 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: What bicycle do you own?
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2019, 06:41:23 PM »
You're talking about new bars, new stem, new brake levers (which means new shifters typically), new brakes, new fork.

I like fiddling with bikes . . . and have pondered doing similar with an older bike that I really like.  But every time I start pricing stuff, there's no way in hell it makes sense to do what you're talking about doing.  It's always cheaper to hold out and buy a new (used) bike closer to the configuration you want.

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2019, 08:26:50 AM »
Bike 1: Surly Disc Trucker 26".  This is my suv bike.  It has big comfy tires, accommodates studded tires in winter, has a rack, hub generator & lights and platform/spd pedals with a huge gear range.  Pretty much every ride I do is on this.

Bike 2: Specialized Roubaix.  Road bike for riding in fast group rides.  This was really expensive and not mustachian at all, but I like it a lot.  Most of my fitness riding is on this.

Bike 3: Cervelo P2.  I was doing tris fairly regularly for a while, so I have this bike.  I have it on my trainer right now, and use it for indoor fitness rides.  I still do the occasional triathlon.  This bike is stupid fast, yielding me an additional 2 mph over a similar course at the same power output as Bike 2.

Bike 4: Cyclocross bike.  I've been trying to sell this for a while.  I got this thinking I could merge bike 1 & 2, but I didn't like it.  No one apparently wants it, and I'm not ready to give it away.

Bike 5: Co-Motion Tandem.  I use this with the kids.

In terms of style, I agree with GuitarStv on drop bars.  All my bikes except the P2 are drop bars.  They are much more comfortable than flat bars for me, as flat bars put pressure in bad places on my hands.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2019, 09:19:56 AM »

Bike 4: Cyclocross bike.  I've been trying to sell this for a while.  I got this thinking I could merge bike 1 & 2, but I didn't like it.  No one apparently wants it, and I'm not ready to give it away.

Where are you located and what's the Cyclocross look like?

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2019, 10:06:37 AM »
You're talking about new bars, new stem, new brake levers (which means new shifters typically), new brakes, new fork.

I like fiddling with bikes . . . and have pondered doing similar with an older bike that I really like.  But every time I start pricing stuff, there's no way in hell it makes sense to do what you're talking about doing.  It's always cheaper to hold out and buy a new (used) bike closer to the configuration you want.
Yeah, you're probably right. I would keep my V-brakes on the rear (and probably not upgrade my front brakes right away). My shifters and levers are separate, but the shifters are twist shifters so they wouldn't work on drop or butterfly handles. I could probably keep current shifters and brake levers if I chose H-bullhorn style bars.

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2019, 11:36:41 AM »

Where are you located and what's the Cyclocross look like?

Not intending this as a classified ad.  I did send you a PM.

Alchemisst

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2019, 06:51:57 PM »
I just picked up an old Shogun trail breaker and Benotto mountain bike for close to free, and also noticed a Jamis Aurora touring bike going for very cheap nearby... but now I have too many bikes, have to get rid of one, wouldn't mind adding a touring bike though..

BobbyTables

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2019, 07:37:35 AM »
Norco Indie hybrid for commuting, it's got flat pedals, full coverage fenders and a rack. I like it a lot except the mechanical disc brakes which are hard to adjust correctly. They do brake pretty good in wet conditions though.

Norco Valence 105 I got only slightly used for road riding and group rides. It's and 'endurance' style road bike and I love it. So far the longest ride I did on it was 100km without any discomfort, looking to do more.

If I had the space I would also get a steel touring bike for mixed terrain adventures and as a backup commuter.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2019, 11:38:22 AM »
Where do you guys put all these bikes?  I have one and find it's a bit in the way in the garage as I also have tools, a welding station, a wood working station, book shelves, etc.  I mean I have my bike off to the side but like to move it out of the way when I'm welding or wood working so it doesn't get sparks, ground metal, saw dust, etc.

Also, I'm seeing bikes in pics hanging from their wheel.  Looks like that would mess up the wheel.  Does it?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 11:42:12 AM by DeniseNJ »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2019, 11:50:53 AM »
Where do you guys put all these bikes?  I have one and find it's a bit in the way in the garage as I also have tools, a welding station, a wood working station, book shelves, etc.  I mean I have my bike off to the side but like to move it out of the way when I'm welding or wood working so it doesn't get sparks, ground metal, saw dust, etc.

Also, I'm seeing bikes in pics hanging from their wheel.  Looks like that would mess up the wheel.  Does it?

Well... four bicycles takes up far less space than a single car.  If you value the role a bike has in your life it's really not hard to find a place for it. 
As for hanging a bike by it's wheel - no, it doesn't mess up the wheel. After all, a bicycle rim is designed to take the full weight of the rider, including going into tight turns and small hops (e.g. off curbs): It routinely handles 100+lbs of force and will briefly take loads of well over 200lbs. They are designed to be very strong. Hanging the ~18-20lb frame is not even remotely a mechanical challenge.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2019, 12:04:09 PM »

I put hooks in the garage ceiling so they can be hung up and out of the way.  I don't do welding in my garage, but will just lift them down and wheel them out of the way if there's going to be a lot of sawdust flying around.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2019, 12:25:01 PM »
I too make much sawdust.
I just ride faster the next day so it all blows off.

never give up

• Walrus Stache
  • Kindness is free to give and priceless to receive
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2019, 01:45:47 PM »
In the house. Mine has its own bedroom! I do live alone though :-)

LittleWanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2019, 02:07:56 PM »
Where do you guys put all these bikes?

I live alone in a 1 bedroom apartment.  My "dining" area has 3 bikes in it instead of a table. 

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2019, 03:15:22 PM »
I live in a house, as part of a family of four. There are gates on either side of the house, as the backyard is fenced (to keep out the deer, mostly). Behind the gate, on the north side, we added a shed roof that sticks out about 3.5 feet and covers the trash cans, the recycling bins, and "fleet parking", which is diagonal back-in parking for, um, "a lot" of bikes. We built a rack, of sorts, to allow this. (Upgrading the rack from wood to metal is on the "make our lives nicer" list.)

Basically, we go out the front door if we're walking or driving. We go out the back door and grab bikes if we're biking (which is more frequent). The design thinking is "it should be more convenient to walk out of the house and grab your bike then to have to go find a car key." There are shoe racks by each door, containing appropriate footwear...

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2019, 08:34:07 PM »
The design thinking is "it should be more convenient to walk out of the house and grab your bike then to have to go find a car key." There are shoe racks by each door, containing appropriate footwear...
Great idea, design for success!

We're lucky to have a garage a couple extra feet wider than the garage door. We made a row of wall hooks at a 45 angle from the wall: takes up less room, easy to build, easy to get in/out, and easy to clean under.

**I'm not having luck inserting images or attaching files, so here's links to some photos:
https://ibb.co/nrWZ4Ht
https://ibb.co/1fYLQcL

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 05:27:55 PM by GreenToTheCore »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2019, 04:44:42 AM »
I can't remember the models, but we have 4 bikes
-mine is a Rocky Mountain hybrid
-DH's summer daily driver is a 20 year old Gary Fisher mountain bike
-DH's winter daily driver is a Specialized mountain bike
-DH's actual riding-in-the-mountains bike is a 20 year old Brody

We store the daily drivers in the summer in a sort of garden shed container on the front lawn (townhouse, no garage) In the winter, everything is inside in the basement. 2 bikes hang from hooks on the ceiling.

Our new condo has dedicated bike cages, so that's great, but we haven't yet found out how many spots we can get.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2019, 06:37:06 AM »
I have...a lot. But, I work in the bike world, and it's pretty much my life.

- Specialized Crux- for fast road rides, long gravel roads, etc
- Pivot 429sl- for endurance mtb racing
- Yeti carbon trail bike- for fun mountain biking...this is not really "mine" but my borrowed bike for the summer.
- Bridgestone MB2- my get around town, get groceries, ride to work bike. Old mtb that I made into a townie with some riser bars and a milk crate for a basket.

This is actually the least amount of bikes I've had in a while. I'll probably build up a hardtail this summer as I miss having one, and enjoy the efficiency.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2019, 09:59:54 AM »
Our bikes live in the one-car garage that we use as a large shed (car lives outside). It's easy enough to roll a few bikes out of the way when needed (my bike is the most frequently used thing in the garage, so much better to move int out of the way than something else.

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2019, 09:45:17 PM »
Cannondale CaadX Cyclocross
Black
$1100, but it was their floor model, so I got it for $600. 

I love it. 

lutorm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2019, 12:34:49 AM »
A Lightning recumbent (https://www.lightningbikes.com/recumbents.html). I have a hard time riding normal bikes due to wrist and neck injuries. A recumbent is so much more comfortable.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2019, 09:18:54 AM »
I own a PublicBike.  It has internal gear shift which I felt I needed due to an injury/recovery mode (had to be able to downshift from a stopped position)
It was expensive but I get a lot of compliments on it when I ride it around town (yes, random people yell out that they love my chartreuse colored bicycle).

I don't like the geometry of it -- I get to sit upright (which was the goal) but that makes the pedals close to the front wheel, and when I turn the wheel, my foot touches the wheel.  Freaks me out every single time. 

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2019, 11:05:23 AM »
I don't like the geometry of it -- I get to sit upright (which was the goal) but that makes the pedals close to the front wheel, and when I turn the wheel, my foot touches the wheel.  Freaks me out every single time.
+1.  There have been a lot of odd trends in bikes over the years, but this is one that is just insane.  My craigslist road bike has a "compact geometry", whatever the heck that is, that includes having a long stem to make up for the short wheelbase.  At low speeds I bump into the tire with my toes more than I like, especially when I have my fenders on it.  A non-interference design should be a given, but it is not.  The long stem makes for odd handling when taking off aggressively from a stop, especially if I have loaded panniers on it.  I am sure that someone concluded the short wheelbase fad was beneficial, but for me it is just dumb.

A lot of bike choice comes down to what the "pros" are using, which rarely lines up with commuting and casual use.  Buying a mountain bike requires wading through all the lingo of XC/Enduro/Downhill/etc.  Most are mimicking race bike rather than just giving an old fart like me comfortable rugged bike with big tires that can take the occasional bump and gravel road.

MatthewK

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2019, 06:00:01 PM »
Just picked up a Cannondale Topstone, new. https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bike/ProductDetail?Id=9ac7d791-d4a1-4f79-9f6e-0ab53253ed66&parentid=undefined
 I know, not frugal but really bikes are the only thing I spend much money on and the only thing I don't mind going fancy on. It's a great bike and a ton of fun.

I will be searching CL soon for an older but good working 26er hardtail to ride trails again. I figure the 29ers and 27.5's have made them all but obsolete, someones gotta have a good one sitting in their garage collecting dust.

wbarnett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2019, 10:57:10 AM »

I also have a custom frame steel road bike. I'm a lady-shaped person of a certain age, and I really wanted a bike that hurt nothing when I get on it.  I ride it everywhere -- and I lock it securely all the time, to the point where I've chipped the paint a bit. I'm thinking about sending it back to get the paint refreshed for my next large birthday. I ride it in winter, with boots on. I ride it in summer. I go for "rides" on it several times/week, weather permitting.

I haven't named it, but I concur with the companion part... It's ... um, got the same name as a company that makes fancy crystal, but it's from WI.

Waterford! Do I win?

A custom steel frame is on my wish list too, although they're sooo expensive (look up Sklar Bikes in Bozeman - that's my dream). I'm working on rationalizing the expense, since it's actually my year-round vehicle. Costs less than a car, looks awesome, loads more fun. I'm pretty much there...

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2019, 09:02:58 AM »

I also have a custom frame steel road bike. I'm a lady-shaped person of a certain age, and I really wanted a bike that hurt nothing when I get on it.  I ride it everywhere -- and I lock it securely all the time, to the point where I've chipped the paint a bit. I'm thinking about sending it back to get the paint refreshed for my next large birthday. I ride it in winter, with boots on. I ride it in summer. I go for "rides" on it several times/week, weather permitting.

I haven't named it, but I concur with the companion part... It's ... um, got the same name as a company that makes fancy crystal, but it's from WI.

Waterford! Do I win?

A custom steel frame is on my wish list too, although they're sooo expensive (look up Sklar Bikes in Bozeman - that's my dream). I'm working on rationalizing the expense, since it's actually my year-round vehicle. Costs less than a car, looks awesome, loads more fun. I'm pretty much there...

You win! Cake all around!

I bought mine (new, obviously) before prices skyrocketed. I spent a LOT of time hanging around the bike shop, and gave the mechanics a ceiling price. They wound up picking a box of the previous years components off the back of the shelf to make me happy...

Also, the bike now has maybe close to 15K miles on it? My cyclometer stopped tracking at about 12K, and I haven't gotten around to fixing it...

I classify it as an indulgence, but one that makes me happy about every day. :^)

wbarnett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2019, 08:46:06 AM »

Strange. Is your PublicBike the more townie looking one? Toe overlap on the front wheel is annoying, for sure. But usually it's the result of: 1) a frame being too small for the rider; 2) dumb design; 3) racing geometry. I didn't figure PublicBike would fall into category 2 or 3.

+1.  There have been a lot of odd trends in bikes over the years, but this is one that is just insane.  My craigslist road bike has a "compact geometry", whatever the heck that is...

Yep, compact geometry is just a marketing gimmick. I used to ride an 80s touring bike (garage sale find) for this reason.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2019, 12:39:33 PM »
Compact geometry lets someone ride a smaller bike than they would fit on traditionally.  This has the effect of dropping the head tube a little lower, which allows for a more aerodynamic position on the bike (if you have the flexibility, lack of gut, and core strength for it), more rider weight on the front wheel because you need a longer stem (which means better handling at faster speeds) and more nimble steering because of the reduced wheelbase.  It also makes the bike a few hundred grams lighter for free because of the smaller frame.  None of that is a scam . . . but it's all useless if you just want to pootle along barely above a stopped pace in an upright position.

Toe overlap isn't typically an issue because the only time you really are at risk of bumping your toe into the front wheel of a road bike is when you're track standing or nearly stopped.  All other times you will be leaning the bike to steer, not wrenching the handlebars from side to side . . . so the front wheel rarely gets more than a couple degrees of turn off center and won't bump your toe.

wbarnett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2019, 12:19:53 PM »
It also makes the bike a few hundred grams lighter for free because of the smaller frame.  None of that is a scam . . . but it's all useless if you just want to pootle along barely above a stopped pace in an upright position.

Toe overlap isn't typically an issue because the only time you really are at risk of bumping your toe into the front wheel of a road bike is when you're track standing or nearly stopped.

My understanding is that there might be benefits of compact geometry, but they are largely out-weighed by other cons. Less frame material is required, for instance, but the slanted top tube requires a longer seatpost. I didn't say it's a scam, but I do think it's mostly a marketing gimmick. We can agree to disagree.

I commute year-round on a racing CX frame and toe overlap happens other times besides track standing (I tend not to 'pootle along barely above a stopped pace'). Tight turns while pedaling, starting again from a stoplight, avoiding idiots walking off the curb staring at their phone, etc. It's not a big deal when racing, but it would be pretty annoying on an upright townie bike.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2019, 12:24:56 PM »

Strange. Is your PublicBike the more townie looking one? Toe overlap on the front wheel is annoying, for sure. But usually it's the result of: 1) a frame being too small for the rider; 2) dumb design; 3) racing geometry. I didn't figure PublicBike would fall into category 2 or 3.

+1.  There have been a lot of odd trends in bikes over the years, but this is one that is just insane.  My craigslist road bike has a "compact geometry", whatever the heck that is...

Yep, compact geometry is just a marketing gimmick. I used to ride an 80s touring bike (garage sale find) for this reason.

This is the bike I have
https://publicbikes.com/collections/womens-bikes/products/public-c7i?variant=15347579093055
Recovering from an injury, I needed step-through style and upright ride.  I also wanted internal gears because of all the stop/start and the need to be able to start at a low gear.  I ordered a size small/medium because my height fit into their size guide (just barely) and my legs are kind of short.  The toe overlap is annoying when running through obstacles in the city.  Straight lines are pretty rare.  Even when I'm riding on a straight stretch of road or sidewalk, there are always bollards and cement planters to avoid.  Because of all the stop signs/red lights and pedestrians, I typically ride very slowly and rarely in a straight line. 

This may just not be the right bike for me.  It's also extremely heavy, but that wasn't much of a concern for me. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2019, 12:33:28 PM »
It also makes the bike a few hundred grams lighter for free because of the smaller frame.  None of that is a scam . . . but it's all useless if you just want to pootle along barely above a stopped pace in an upright position.

Toe overlap isn't typically an issue because the only time you really are at risk of bumping your toe into the front wheel of a road bike is when you're track standing or nearly stopped.

My understanding is that there might be benefits of compact geometry, but they are largely out-weighed by other cons. Less frame material is required, for instance, but the slanted top tube requires a longer seatpost. I didn't say it's a scam, but I do think it's mostly a marketing gimmick. We can agree to disagree.

I commute year-round on a racing CX frame and toe overlap happens other times besides track standing (I tend not to 'pootle along barely above a stopped pace'). Tight turns while pedaling, starting again from a stoplight, avoiding idiots walking off the curb staring at their phone, etc. It's not a big deal when racing, but it would be pretty annoying on an upright townie bike.

A longer seat post is more flexible, and provides greater comfort.  :P

I'm not really wedded to compact geometry (don't currently have a bike with it), but I feel like a lot of the complaints about it are kinda unfounded.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2019, 02:21:54 PM »
I have a bike with "compact geometry" most because I am 5'2" and need it. I used to have some real problems with tow overlap on some of the tight u-bends on the overpasses but less so once I converted my bike from a pretty squirrelly road bike set-up to a porter style ride. It's comfortable and fast!

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2020, 02:03:35 PM »
Road:
2002ish Torrelli Corsa Strada steel frame
Ultegra components, about 19 lbs
Given to me for free by an uncle because it had two flats and a layer of dust
Highly recommended if you live somewhere flat. No low gears for hill climbs. Or maybe I’m weak.

Mountain:
2008 Jamis Dakar 26er full suspension
SRAM X9 components, RockShox XC30, 34 lbs
Paid $300 from Craigslist 3? years ago
OK bike but a little heavy and rear shock has ovaled out the bolt hole, so it’s a little loose. Plus the rear shock pogos a bit even at maximum air pressure. Or maybe I’m fat at 195lbs.

Mountain for DW:
2005 Giant Rincon
Alivio components, elastomer fork, cushy seat, police style road tires, 32lbs
Paid $400 in 2005
Decent bike, but rarely ridden. Threatening to sell, but too sad to follow through.

Kid’s bike 1:
Wooden strider bike from Amazon.
No brakes or drivetrain
Seems like a great concept to learn balance, but kid was never a fan.
Seat was too uncomfortable to get around the block.
Paid about $50 two years ago. Threatening to sell.

Kids bike 2:
Steel 16” BMX style, red
Custom plastic webbed seat, blue
Handlebars pulled way back
Seat as low as it goes
Kid likes this much more, even though it weighs more than some adult bikes!
Paid $15 for bike at thrift store, $6 for seat

Project bike:
1998? Raleigh M60 mountain bike
Shitty RST elastomer fork that barely works, STX/Alivio, maybe 29 lbs?
Fixing up for my dad
Replacing deteriorated rubber grip shifters with new Alivio triggers ($15 fix!)
Thinking about putting a $50-100 off-brand fork on it, but hard to make such an investment in a 20y/o bike.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2020, 09:05:14 AM »
Project bike:
Fixing up for my dad
Thinking about putting a $50-100 off-brand fork on it, but hard to make such an investment in a 20y/o bike.
Bike frames can last a very long time unless they are severely abused. I wouldn't worry about the age of the bike; I'm still riding a Mongoose Alta from 1996. My bike still has an old elastomer fork that barely works; but I probably would change the fork out if it weren't for the bike having a threaded headset.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2020, 09:42:17 AM »
https://www.straycatbicycles.com/Bicycles.html

Single speed commuter built by a local guy- nothing fancy, but it does what I need it to. My city's pretty flat so single speed works just fine, and there's no extra maintenance/weight from components I don't really need. Bought it just over a year ago, and I haven't made any major modifications to it yet. I just bought a set of Ergo grips to give me some added hand positions but haven't installed them yet. Will probably add a rack/panniers on the back at some point.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2020, 03:05:08 PM »
Project bike:
Fixing up for my dad
Bike frames can last a very long time unless they are severely abused. I wouldn't worry about the age of the bike; I'm still riding a Mongoose Alta from 1996. My bike still has an old elastomer fork that barely works; but I probably would change the fork out if it weren't for the bike having a threaded headset.

Unfortunately everyone on eBay is convinced their 15 year old fork with leaky seals is worth at least $100 or we’d both be riding SID XCs on our antique bikes.

Ricochet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2020, 09:23:06 AM »
I too have a Gary Fisher bike that I acquired from a 'serious' biker who was moving out of the country. I got it for about 1/2 the original price, in great condition and it's been a steady street fighting machine for the past decade of hard city riding.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2020, 10:30:47 AM »
The design thinking is "it should be more convenient to walk out of the house and grab your bike then to have to go find a car key." There are shoe racks by each door, containing appropriate footwear...
Great idea, design for success!

We're lucky to have a garage a couple extra feet wider than the garage door. We made a row of wall hooks at a 45 angle from the wall: takes up less room, easy to build, easy to get in/out, and easy to clean under.

I installed a row of wheel hooks on a horizontal board maybe 3.5 feet high so that all 4 of my bikes hang on the wall tightly side-by-side with their back tires on the floor - essentially doing a wheelie into the wall. The low ceiling in my space provides no advantage to overhead storage, so this minimizes the footprint as much as is possible. Plus I’ve found that hooking the bikes in and out is easiest this way because there is no lifting, reaching, or hoisting involved. Pushing the seat forward causes the front wheel to roll upward while still hooked in, until the bike’s weight is completely on the back wheel. Then with a little twist, it’s unhooked and I back it out by the handlebars. It’s a minimal thing to be ready to ride.

At a previous house, the garage had no ceiling (why do garages need ceilings anyway?) so I was able to attach ropes and pullies to the roof rafters and hoist bikes, roof racks, and a bike trailer over the cars. This freed up floor space, but was not as easily accessible as I’d hoped. You had to move a car to get a bike, so at that point you just drive.

Designing for ease of access is paramount.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2020, 11:36:38 AM »
At a previous house, the garage had no ceiling (why do garages need ceilings anyway?) so I was able to attach ropes and pullies to the roof rafters and hoist bikes, roof racks, and a bike trailer over the cars. This freed up floor space, but was not as easily accessible as I’d hoped. You had to move a car to get a bike, so at that point you just drive.

Designing for ease of access is paramount.
Garage ceiling is likely for fire separation. It prevents rapid spread of a fire starting in the garage to the attic over the entire house. It's usually easier to put a ceiling over the garage than to extend the walls up to the roof.

If I changed bikes seasonally and had the overhead space, I'd likely store out of season bikes over the car. I agree that a bike intended as a primary transportation source needs to be at least as easy to get out as the car.

STEMorbust

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2020, 03:54:39 PM »
In love with my recent build. Plan to have this one for eons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

norajean

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2020, 05:17:14 PM »
I use the Bcycle bikes here.  They are essentially free.  Quite sturdy Trek bikes with dual baskets. Some are electric. I like how you can check them back in anywhere and forget about them. No need to carry a lock and deal with all that. And no maintenance.  There are stations near home, work, gym, grocery, pub, university, library, car mechanic, etc.  Great deal!

« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 05:21:10 PM by norajean »

never give up

• Walrus Stache
  • Kindness is free to give and priceless to receive
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2020, 01:15:12 AM »
That's a nice bike but does it come in smaller sizes? :-)

Alchemisst

• Bristles
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2020, 10:48:47 PM »
Anyone own an ebike? Am interested in getting one however I'm put off by the heavy weights, hopefully as batteries get smaller/ more compact they will get lighter?

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2020, 08:07:08 AM »
Anyone own an ebike? Am interested in getting one however I'm put off by the heavy weights, hopefully as batteries get smaller/ more compact they will get lighter?
I wouldn't hold out for much weight savings from battery tech improvements. I din't think there's much room for improvement on energy density of modern lithium based batteries. Improvements on lithium batteries will more likely focus on safety (reduced risk of starting fires) and cost.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2020, 12:23:11 PM »
I wouldn't hold out for much weight savings from battery tech improvements. I din't think there's much room for improvement on energy density of modern lithium based batteries. Improvements on lithium batteries will more likely focus on safety (reduced risk of starting fires) and cost.

The weight of lithium based battery has been in decline, but it's just been nullified by increasing energy density. i.e. the same 18650 battery holds more power than before but it just results in more overall energy (range).

There's plenty of charts showing the wh/kg increasing fairly steadily.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Development-of-lithium-batteries-during-the-period-of-1970-2015-showing-the-cost-blue_fig6_284929881

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2020, 09:46:11 AM »
The weight of lithium based battery has been in decline, but it's just been nullified by increasing energy density. i.e. the same 18650 battery holds more power than before but it just results in more overall energy (range).

There's plenty of charts showing the wh/kg increasing fairly steadily.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Development-of-lithium-batteries-during-the-period-of-1970-2015-showing-the-cost-blue_fig6_284929881
That is impressive. Do you have information on advancements made in the last 5 years?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2020, 10:41:07 AM »
The heaviest component of any bicycle is always the rider.

Sure, eBikes are heavy sumbitches, but a large part of that is the motor and the substantially beefier frame that holds the motor and can handle the torque.  Higher energy-density batteries will help, but most eBike batteries currently ~5-8 lbs. So suppose we can lighten the battery by a whopping 30% — that’s going to be a weight savings of just a pound or so.... on a rig that will still weigh 40-60lbs. So a weight-savings of 2% or less on the entire bike, and probably 0.5% on the total bike-plus-rider.

Yeah, yeah, ounces and grams matter on road bikes (disclaimer: Ive done my share of road races)... but eBikes aren’t that.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2020, 08:40:56 AM »
The heaviest component of any bicycle is always the rider.

Sure, eBikes are heavy sumbitches, but a large part of that is the motor and the substantially beefier frame that holds the motor and can handle the torque.  Higher energy-density batteries will help, but most eBike batteries currently ~5-8 lbs. So suppose we can lighten the battery by a whopping 30% — that’s going to be a weight savings of just a pound or so.... on a rig that will still weigh 40-60lbs. So a weight-savings of 2% or less on the entire bike, and probably 0.5% on the total bike-plus-rider.

Yeah, yeah, ounces and grams matter on road bikes (disclaimer: Ive done my share of road races)... but eBikes aren’t that.
I agree, that's why I haven't been concerned about the weight of my bike as long as I can easily lift it with one arm.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2020, 10:19:27 AM »
Would someone please talk me out of buying this? I don't need to spend $1200, but damn that's a deal.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/full-suspension-mountain-bikes/fantomds-eagle-sx-pro-full-suspension.htm

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2020, 11:02:48 AM »
Would someone please talk me out of buying this? I don't need to spend $1200, but damn that's a deal.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/full-suspension-mountain-bikes/fantomds-eagle-sx-pro-full-suspension.htm

That's a sexy bike.  In terms of talking you out of it... I mean stalk CL and I've seen better speced MBs around the $1k mark, but obviously used and you have to wait for your size to come around...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2020, 12:42:30 PM »
If you're regularly bombing down hills with huge drops or doing serious off roading, then dual suspension makes sense.  If you occasionally do some single track it's just wasted weight and annoying to maintain for no benefit.