Author Topic: What accessories to get for my minivan?  (Read 1624 times)

MrsSpendyPants

• Stubble
What accessories to get for my minivan?
« on: January 16, 2021, 05:23:46 PM »
In the process of buying a minivan.  What accessories should I get to protect it and enjoy it?  I currently have all weather mats and an organizer than hangs off the backs of the seats.  Anything else?

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What accessories to get for my minivan?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 05:54:35 PM »
Keep some moving blankets in it.  I’ve got them always in there for hauling stuff.  Never leave home without them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrMama

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 09:54:50 AM »
I keep a couple plastic bins in the back of my SUV. They're mostly for hauling groceries, but they also keep any other items I have to transport from rolling around in the back.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 12:29:11 PM »
-We have a lithium ion battery jumper if you ever leave the light on and run the battery down. It also serves as a phone/device charger/light source when camping.
-A first aid kit.
-A pair of gloves for changing a tire (everything gets too hot to touch in the summer).
-A shop manual if you intend to do a lot of work yourself.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 12:29:49 PM »
And windshield ice scrapper if you live someplace where it snows.

stacheasaurus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 12:58:17 PM »
What are you using it for?  In no particular order, some suggestions:

• Blanket
  • sleeping bag(s)
  • pillow
  • Flashlight
  • garbage bags
  • small instrument - recorder, ukelele
  • small backpacking chair

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 03:13:23 PM »

• Blanket
  • sleeping bag(s)
  • pillow
  • Flashlight
  • garbage bags

My mind spun out a bit here. Is this to keep the kids happy while driving down the road? If so, you are a wonder. That's level-up parenting.

stacheasaurus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 08:53:32 AM »

• Blanket
  • sleeping bag(s)
  • pillow
  • Flashlight
  • garbage bags

My mind spun out a bit here. Is this to keep the kids happy while driving down the road? If so, you are a wonder. That's level-up parenting.

Could use it to entertain kids, or to entertain yourself! Always a crowd favorite to have it available and it doesn't take up much space.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 12:28:29 PM »
It's really hard to nail down what you should keep in there, without knowing more -

Do you have kids? Seat back protectors, floor mats (you already have these!), wipes, sunshades (if not built in), collapsible bins for storing 'stuff', a trash bag hook

Other stuff not already mentioned - snow scraper, sun shade, portable tire pump, extra phone charger cable.

To protect it and not yourself? Apart from the above - a good quality car wash kit (sponge/mitt, soap, spray wax, microfiber cloths), leather protector (if you have leather), bug shield, bumper guards if in a city.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 01:31:02 PM »

• Blanket
  • sleeping bag(s)
  • pillow
  • Flashlight
  • garbage bags

Could use it to entertain kids, or to entertain yourself! Always a crowd favorite to have it available and it doesn't take up much space.

Always a crowd favorite unless I'm playing it. 

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 01:52:41 PM »
Following this thread as I just bought my very first vehicle (also a minivan) so that I don't have to haul lumber on my bike. My first purchase was an ice scaper/snow removal brush. But then I had to make an emergency shovel purchase since I'm a renter and didn't own one. After the snow plows went by and created a huge pile between my van and the travel lane I got stuck in the snow. Fortunately a friend saw me from his window and came out with his shovel. Now I have my own that I keep in the vehicle.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 04:52:21 PM »
Grocery bags aren't free in my part of the world, so I keep a bag of bags in the car at all times. I have insulated ones and plain ones, all with sturdy handles. I just stuff them all into the largest bag. Now, if I could only convince DH to keep some permanently in his truck...

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2021, 07:28:14 AM »
Like others have said... What are you using it for?

Personally, I would put a roof rack on the top and carry a set of ratchet straps and some rope.  I'm constantly strapping things to the roof.
 Plastic canisters (like coffee cans) are great for keeping ratchet straps organized).

I'd also install a hitch, which allows you do carry everything from bikes to tow a trailer.

...then again, maybe you never plan on towing a trailer or carrying bicycles or picking up materials (or a playset) which needs to be strapped to the roof...
It all depends on your usage.  Personally I can't fathom how people can own cars without hitches OR roof-racks...

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2021, 07:50:21 AM »
Like others have said... What are you using it for?

Personally, I would put a roof rack on the top and carry a set of ratchet straps and some rope.  I'm constantly strapping things to the roof.
 Plastic canisters (like coffee cans) are great for keeping ratchet straps organized).

I'd also install a hitch, which allows you do carry everything from bikes to tow a trailer.

...then again, maybe you never plan on towing a trailer or carrying bicycles or picking up materials (or a playset) which needs to be strapped to the roof...
It all depends on your usage.  Personally I can't fathom how people can own cars without hitches OR roof-racks...

Argh I completely overlooked this in my post - I give a hearty 'second' especially to the trailer hitch. Even if it's used a couple times, it really opens the possibilities for what you can do with your van. The current stable of vans (going back to 2010, with maybe the exception of that the early '10s Sienna) all have a tow rating of 3500 lbs (except the hybrids) - you really can do a lot with that.