Author Topic: Warm slippers/ socks?  (Read 2613 times)

Alchemisst

• Bristles
Warm slippers/ socks?
« on: June 25, 2020, 12:29:39 AM »
I get really cold feet and even with socks and uggboots on they seem to stay cold, any other ideas what i could try? I thought about trying duck down slippers or something

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Warm slippers/ socks?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 04:49:55 AM »
Have you talked about this with your doctor?  If your feet are still indoors while wearing socks and ugg boots this may be a symptom of an underlying condition, one that could be potentially serious.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 07:22:14 AM »
I have a pair of Goldtoe (brand) moccasin-style slippers with flannel inside.
My house is on a slab, in Wisc, so the floor is pretty cold in winter.
I only wear these in winter because they're to warm otherwise.

For socks, I have some heavy wool socks and some silk sock liners. 
I also have... and this is a bit revealing.. a pair of knit wool leg warmers.  I like them because they are quick and easy to put on and off when I go out / come in.  Keeping my legs warm helps a lot with keeping my feet warm.

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 04:25:53 PM »
Before I moved to a warmer climate, I had this problem. Once my feet got cold, I couldn’t seem to warm them myself... socks, slippers, boots just seemed to insulate their coldness. I managed it by trying not to let them get cold in the first place. As soon as I got out of bed or the shower I immediately fully dressed with socks and slippers/boots. If my feet got cold from being out in the snow too long, then when I got back inside I had to take off my shoes and rest my feet on a hot water bottle or heating pad to warm them, then they could go back to being slippered.

For indoors, knee high knit slippers are good, since they’re like a slipper and a leg warmer in one and there’s no gap at the ankle to let in a draft. For outdoors, duckboots are really warm, better than old school moon boots, which seem like they’d be warm but don’t have any insulation in the sole.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 09:11:06 AM »
Make sure that you buy winter boots one or even two sizes too big.  Besides leaving room for thick socks in the winter, any boots that are snug -at all - will reduce circulation which makes your feet feel colder than they should.

My mom always has cold feet and swears by knee high Darn Tough wool mountaineering socks.  They're very expensive, but apparently warm enough and durable.

bluebell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 10:04:44 AM »
I wear wool socks over regular socks throughout the winter. Smartwool is a good brand, but many brands of wool socks do the job fine. Most of mine are from Costco.

I pair these with German wool slippers...also not cheap...but they last and my feet are warm!

bluebell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 10:13:55 AM »
I wear wool socks over regular socks throughout the winter. Smartwool is a good brand, but many brands of wool socks do the job fine. Most of mine are from Costco.

I pair these with German wool slippers...also not cheap...but they last and my feet are warm!

I meant Darn Tough wool socks, not Smartwool (haven't tried those).

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 11:22:01 AM »
Columbia Duchess Hill Slippers, one size bigger than you usually wear to allow for wool socks. I have the black ones.

https://www.columbia.com/womens-duchess-hill-slipper-1359291.html

I have several pairs of Darn Tough hiking socks, which I wear during the day, but to sleep in, I wear loose thick wool socks (any variety will do) because they keep my feet warmer.

nobody

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 05:33:57 PM »
I got some of these off of Amazon for camping when nights would get below freezing...

J.B. Icelandic Artic Trail -40 Below Winter Sock

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 07:12:10 PM »

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 01:57:34 PM »
I ordered a pair of these yesterday - https://www.sundanceleather.com/Colorado-Moccasin-Sheepskin-Slippers-with-Leather-Sole-Made-in-the-USA_p_13.html

I was looking at Overland's slippers, but noticed that they were made in China, and cost the same as the Colorado Moccasin slippers, which are made in the US, and with US materials. Based on the reviews, I decided to give them a shot.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 08:52:00 AM »
I ordered a pair of these yesterday - https://www.sundanceleather.com/Colorado-Moccasin-Sheepskin-Slippers-with-Leather-Sole-Made-in-the-USA_p_13.html

I was looking at Overland's slippers, but noticed that they were made in China, and cost the same as the Colorado Moccasin slippers, which are made in the US, and with US materials. Based on the reviews, I decided to give them a shot.

Please report back with your impressions.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 06:26:27 AM »

Please report back with your impressions.

I've been wearing the Sundance Leather slippers for a month or so, and I really like them. I ordered a 9.5, my usual shoe size. They were just a little tight at first (with socks), but soon packed down to a perfect fit - not too loose. They are well-constructed, with seams in the right places (not at wear points), and the sheepskin offers good temperature regulation, so my feet aren't getting sweaty if the room warms up, but stay warm when it's cold.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 01:07:58 PM »

I meant Darn Tough wool socks, not Smartwool (haven't tried those).

This - I only wear darn tough boot socks to work and darn tough athletic socks when running and lifting weights. They have a lifetime warranty and even the pair that’s 4-5 years old with hundreds and hundreds of miles on them, still look new.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!