Author Topic: Vacuum Cleaner recommendations please  (Read 2251 times)

Aardvark

• Stubble
Vacuum Cleaner recommendations please
« on: September 19, 2022, 02:19:23 PM »
We have a pretty small apartment - around 1000 square feet. It's about 50% carpet and 50% tile.
Hoping to buy a sturdy vacuum that will last a long time.
I am considering a used high quality vacuum, but don't really know where to start.
Any tips or considerations would be much appreciated... This is not my wheelhouse.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Vacuum Cleaner recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 02:59:14 PM »
We bought a Dyson upright canister vacuum more than a decade ago, and I've been very happy with it.  It's noisy as hell and can be a little heavy if you're doing stairs.  Other than that it's very well designed, easy to service/clean, and has always worked very well.

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 07:59:10 AM »
If I were going to purchase a high quality vacuum, I'd probably look at Miele.  For good but cheap, I have a Shark which has been a top budget pick from a review site I like to use.  It seems good, no complaints.
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-upright-canister-vacuums/

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 10:31:34 AM »
I bought myself a new full sized Dyson this summer. I had had a previous one that lasted a very long time until we both fell down the stairs, and nothing I've bought since has lasted more than a year or two. We also have a Dyson stick vacuum which is fine but not fine enough on the rugs with 4 cats in the house.

Anyway, I watched the deals on Amazon for a couple of months and got this one "used" for $325 - it was obviously never used, but a return of some sort. It is great.

JupiterGreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 02:01:42 PM »
If I were going to purchase a high quality vacuum, I'd probably look at Miele.  For good but cheap, I have a Shark which has been a top budget pick from a review site I like to use.  It seems good, no complaints.
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-upright-canister-vacuums/

We have a Miele canister and love it but also have minimal carpets. The canister is not great for shag type carpets but works great on regular carpet and wood floors. It is a great vacuum, but expensive. it was a practical purchase for us because we bought it with a rather large gift certificate so we didn't actually pay much for it.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 03:25:10 PM »
We have a Dyson stick, a V11 Animal. I absolutely love it for our 1200 sq ft condo with hardwood floors, rugs of various textures, and a cat. It’s cordless and light, which means that it isn’t a pain to take out and use. I take it out and whisk it around one/two rooms a day each weekday. This keeps the place clean with minimal effort on my part, which is ideal.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2022, 09:09:50 AM »
My recommendation is to buy from a vacuum cleaner shop and ask their repair guy what he recommends.

I bought a Riccar upright and I have loved it for many years. I believe it's the only vacuum still made entirely in the US. Very replaceable and repairable; in almost 10 years, I've only had it in the shop once and it's because I accidentally sucked up a five-inch piece of wood. Vacuum shops tend to sell Miele, Rainbow, and other brands that are meant to be used long-term and repaired when things wear out.

Rusted Rose

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 08:52:53 AM »
Another vote for an older Dyson that is designed to do the jobs you need.

Mine is more than 10 years old and I've heard that some newer versions aren't as well-made. If you can compare in person, that would help verify of course. Things could have re-improved too, for all I know.

This has been my fave vacuum and I love the bagless, easy-empty (and easy rinse!) receptacle design and how easy it is to take apart for maintenance.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2022, 08:53:30 AM »
We have a Shark from Costco - it's great.