Author Topic: Used Taxact instead of TurboTax  (Read 3170 times)

Steve Ainslie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • ainslies.org - becoming a better man
Used Taxact instead of TurboTax
« on: February 09, 2017, 04:01:20 AM »
I've done my own taxes using TurboTax for more than 10 years. This year though, the rates had crept up to well over $100 for my 1040 plus investments forms plus state plus extra to efile. After some googling here and elsewhere I decided to try Taxact which was less than half the cost. It worked fine. The GUI was not quite as elegant and since I wasn't used to it, I had to refer to the help section a few times to find a form to make an update. Otherwise, it worked great. I'll be using it again next year.

sargentd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Used Taxact instead of TurboTax
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 08:48:30 AM »
I switched last year for the same reasons.  It does the trick for my tax purposes.  I think they charged $5 to import last years info.  So if you use it again next year you will want to pay attention to that if it is not worth the convenience for $5.

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 05:37:34 AM »
Good rec., over TurboTax.  I switched a couple years ago for similar reasons.  I went to HR Block software that seems to have so many sales on Newegg and Amazon.  To me, at least, the UI is pretty much the same as TurboTax and it's usually about half the price.  I think Taxact might be cheaper? I don't know, but I've actually been happy enough with HR Block's software.

OutlierinMA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRED!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 03:04:24 PM »
I plan to use TaxAct this year as well. Do you know if you can use TaxAct if you have K-1s? I have 2 MLPs with K-1s this year due to dividend investments.

Thanks!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 07:40:04 PM »
I plan to use TaxAct this year as well. Do you know if you can use TaxAct if you have K-1s? I have 2 MLPs with K-1s this year due to dividend investments.

Thanks!

Yes.
https://www.taxact.com/support/1597/2016/schedule-k-1-1065-publicly-traded-partnership