Author Topic: Use it for Life - the Maintenance topic  (Read 8082 times)

Reader

• Bristles
Use it for Life - the Maintenance topic
« on: August 26, 2017, 01:15:28 AM »
I think the general population would be surprised how many things could last a great deal longer than they expect, if they kept up with maintenance. Knives need sharpened and proper care. Fridges, washing machines, coffee makers, etc. all have maintenance cycles, whether they're meant to be BIFL or just making them last as long as possible. Cars aren't the only things we buy that need maintained, but I've rarely met anyone who keeps the coils on the fridge cleaned, or runs vinegar through their coffee pots, or oils their leather furniture/boots/jackets/etc.
Coming from the Buy it for Life thread, I realised i actually don't maintain any of my stuff and expect them to continue working. the only exception being a knife sharpener to sharpen my dull knives.

what are the activities you do to keep your stuff usable for life instead of tipping it into the landfill? i'm going to youtube how fridge coils are cleaned and what oil to use on my leather boots..

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Use it for Life - the Maintenance topic
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 05:59:02 PM »
I grew up (mostly) on a farm.  Equipment care and maintenance was right behind caring for the stock and crops.
The first thing I drove with an engine was a tractor that was about 30 yrs old.
So I'm way above average on maintaining things I own.

One thing I do, that seemingly few others do, is:  armor-all (or it's equivalent) the body gaskets of my car.
Years ago, the door gasket of my (old) car lost it's elasticity, which meant it didn't seal well.  It whistled going down the road and rain would get in sometimes.  So since then, I treat the door gaskets.
Another car; the door windows froze to the gasket that holds/seals the windows.  So now, ea. fall, I put the windows down and treat those gaskets.
I also treat the trunk gasket.

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 10:10:35 AM »
One thing I do, that seemingly few others do, is:  armor-all (or it's equivalent) the body gaskets of my car.
Thanks for the tip! i do that for my seats to prevent them from cracking and never realised that it would work for the gaskets too! http://www.armorall.com.au/videos/protect-rubber-trims/

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 12:25:56 PM »
Sew shut small rips and tears in anything with dental floss.  Dental floss lasts forever and is an awful lot tougher than thread.  I've extended the life of backpacks, suitcases, shirts, socks, and pants by years doing this.

Also, clean your drivetrain on your bike regularly.  It's quieter, it looks nicer, and it will last longer (particularly if you ride in wintry salt and grime).

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 01:23:20 PM »
Take every piece of paper you own and plastic laminate it.

Now it is all waterproof, stainproof, goo-proof.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 04:20:04 PM »
What maintenance needs to be done on the fridge?

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 04:35:54 PM »
What maintenance needs to be done on the fridge?

The fins/coils for the condenser should periodically be vacuumed to ensure efficient operation. Also, if you have a frostless fridge you should periodically check the drain to the evaporator pan to ensure it isn't clogged.

We occasionally run the washing machine with an empty load and a cup of baking soda to clean it. Keeps odor down and removes residual buildup.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 04:43:28 PM »
Thanks for the tip! i do that for my seats to prevent them from cracking and never realised that it would work for the gaskets too! http://www.armorall.com.au/videos/protect-rubber-trims/

This stuff is fantastic for all the rubber seals on a car. I bought a tube in 2005 for my S2000, and I used it once or twice a year. I still haven't used it up.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-08798-9013-Silicone-Grease/dp/B00GD49GTS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503873712&sr=8-1&keywords=shin+etsu+grease

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 04:48:19 PM »
RE refrigerator: clean the coils and get the dust bunnies out from behind and below. Leave a little bigger gap behind for better airflow.

I keep my vehicle washed, waxed and detailed. I do my own oil changes and run full synthetic Mobil 1. I also wash the frame each fall and spray it with fluid film. Cars are the most expensive thing we own for depreciation and maintenance. I keep them as long as I can. In Ohio the salt kills them before the miles. I change transmission fluids, differentials, power steering, brakes, and anything else I can do myself. Fluids are cheap compared to transmissions, and engines.
I flush my hot water heaters every 6 months. I also use a water softener. It literally doubles or triples the life of faucets, water heaters, washers, and you use way less soap.
I try to keep all of my tools and equipment maintained, wiped down and organized. It all adds up in the end!

One of my best side gigs is buying power equipment and refurbishing it. People don't take care of anything. I flush out the fuel, clean up the carbs, and clean everything up. A non running snowblower is worth $75... A spit shined and tuned one during a snow storm is worth $500. Outboard motors, generators, chainsaws, power washers.... I have figured almost all of them out thanks to the youtube. It has made a lot of free cash and I mow grass, trim trees, and blow snow with them in the mean time for money.  I mow three of my neighbor's yards and all of my own. It really adds up quick. All of it is thanks to no one maintaining their stuff and being to "busy" to mow.

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 03:38:32 AM »
I've extended the life of backpacks, suitcases, shirts, socks, and pants by years doing this.
I've used dental floss as an emergency wire-tie for my sandwich bags before but didn't think of using it as thread. will test it on my backpack - the strap broke after years of use and regular thread wasn't up to stitching it together.

bmelissa545

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 07:37:09 AM »
I have never heard the dental floss trick?! Definitely going to try that.
Now, what about cars? Good luck keeping a car for life.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 11:35:03 AM »

Dental floss is also useful in the kitchen:

http://www.delish.com/food/news/a37897/cut-ingredients-dental-floss/

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 08:42:07 PM »
If they are leather seats, you should use leather conditioner.  On the steering wheel too if it's leather covered.

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 10:40:04 PM »
If they are leather seats, you should use leather conditioner.  On the steering wheel too if it's leather covered.
yeah, sorry what i meant was that i'm using the leather care gel from armor-all. http://www.armorall.com/products/leather/leather-care-gel
what i didn't know was that they have stuff that works on rubber gaskets...

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 10:53:33 PM »
Oiling my paper shredder! I generally do it once a month or after emptying the bin. (Smear olive oil across a piece of paper, run it through, done.)

pegleglolita

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 11:25:22 AM »

Dental floss is also useful in the kitchen:

http://www.delish.com/food/news/a37897/cut-ingredients-dental-floss/

Just make sure if you have pets (especially cats) that you ball it up and throw it away immediately in a covered trash can.  From a veterinarian who has seen fatal consequences of cats eating (delicious) dental floss... This goes for the stuff you've just flossed your teeth with as well!

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 11:52:36 AM »
I realised i actually don't maintain any of my stuff and expect them to continue working.

OUCH OUCH OUCH!
that hurt to read.
when you buy something, you just bought an obligation to take care of the dam' thing. One more reason actually to buy less :)

Yes I maintain everything. leather shoes, belts. cars, bikes, pool, fridge, ac unit, lawn mower, sprinkler system, etc etc. Things are on weekly, monthly, or annual schedule

I have a schedule in Notepad on my phone and Monday is Chore Day (it used to be Saturday, screw that, weekends are for fun. Load up Mondays!)

I am proud of my lawnmower. I bought it new at age 15 for $800. 25yrs later, it still works fine after thousands of lawns! :)

good luck!

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 12:07:02 PM »
OUCH OUCH OUCH!
that hurt to read.

Yes I maintain everything. leather shoes, belts. cars, bikes, pool, fridge, ac unit, lawn mower, sprinkler system, etc etc. Things are on weekly, monthly, or annual schedule.
i know.. it's super cringe worthy. what do you do to maintain leather shoes, belts and fridge? i buff my shoes and wipe them clean. i don't do a thing for my belts (which is why i buy saddleback which has a 99 year warranty). i vaccuum the ac unit twice a year to suck out gunk from the pipes, clean the filter once every 2 months.

i'll start planning a maintenance schedule.. thanks for that idea!
found a really cool site on maintenance around the house, didn't know there are that many things to maintain in a house! the bit on fridges : https://www.familyhandyman.com/appliance-repair/refrigerator-repair/how-to-avoid-refrigerator-repairs/view-all/

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 01:48:51 PM »
I use Pecard Leather Dressing on shoes, belts, leather couches & chairs. Museums use it. Apparently a lot of 'leather oils' (mink oil etc) become rancid & the acid will actually damage the leather. My 12yr old Italian leather sofas look new.

Vacuum the fridge coils. Usually you have to remove trim from the front, cover from the back, or both.

Don't get me started on cars! or the pool! it's a chemical plant I keep running 24/7/365. Pool faulire can be very expensive - as in, the plaster can come off, and costs $20k to fix ;) it is a commitment!

kelvin

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 06:45:01 AM »
I use Pecard Leather Dressing on shoes, belts, leather couches & chairs. Museums use it. Apparently a lot of 'leather oils' (mink oil etc) become rancid & the acid will actually damage the leather. My 12yr old Italian leather sofas look new.

I've never had a problem with mink oil. If it goes rancid I throw out the can before I use it. Winters are dry enough here that all leather must be oiled once in September and once in January. I'll look into this Leather Dressing thing.

Avoid any silicone-based products. I had trouble getting my hands on mink oil once, and thought "well this'll do". It sealed the leather completely, which means the leather became cracked and dry. Ruined the boots.

Thanks for the link on fridge maintenance. I'm a renter, so I've never looked into this.

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2017, 03:17:04 PM »
I take really good care of my clothes and they last me a long time, although maybe not quite for life.  I wash things inside out, treat stains, air dry delicate items or things I don't want to shrink, wash bras and delicate items in mesh bags, use the delicate cycle on my washing machine and mend or replace buttons as needed.  I used to have a friend who bragged that she had never sewn on a button; she would just throw away a garment if a button fell off.  Madness!

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2017, 08:46:31 PM »
Knives - keep sharp
Pots - scrub clean
Everyday items - handle gently
Shoes - resole

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2017, 12:43:17 PM »
resoling of shoes ranks way up on my list of WTF.  i wear nice dress shoes for work but i can get a new pair cheaper than i can have them resoled.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2017, 11:58:24 AM »
resoling of shoes ranks way up on my list of WTF.  i wear nice dress shoes for work but i can get a new pair cheaper than i can have them resoled.

Some folks have environmental reasons to re-use even it costs more.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2017, 12:29:52 PM »
We also put silicon on the car door rubbers before the winter season. We also use a motor warmer for the main car in the winter, as the motor will last longer when it doesn't have a cold start.

We have a very old frame rucksack of which the bag has been resewn numerous times. Recently my DH sewed a new hipbelt for it, because the old ones desintegrating after 35-40 years.

We have repaired loose leather in hiking shoes with Dyneema fishing line. That also holds forever.

We have a good knife sharpener and DH is good at sharpening knives, being an old speed skater.

We glide are skies before and during the winter season to make them last longer.

Bicycles in our house are repaired with new brakes, new gears, new tires and whatever is necessary to keep them running.

We also paint the house and windows on time.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!