Author Topic: Two Easy Bank Bonuses (Service Credit Union and Chase, updated 8/15)  (Read 2348 times)

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
Service Credit union bonus is now dead (8/26)

Service Credit Union

1. Be referred to open a new checking account at this link: https://servicecu.org/pays-2-know-referred/

If you are from Massachusetts or New Hampshire, you automatically qualify to open an account.  For everyone else, you first have to become a member of the American Consumer Council (https://www.americanconsumercouncil.org/membership.asp?dname=Americanconsumercouncil.org).  Use the Promo code "Consumer" to join for free and they will send you a certificate via email in about an hour.

2.  Click on the "Open a Checking Account" button on the Service CU site.  Choose "New Member Account".  Choose your eligibility option (Member of the ACC).  Don't bother having them sign up for you, just do it yourself at the link I posted above.

Add the Primary Savings (required) and Everyday Checking (no fees).  When you add the Everyday Checking, it asks if a friend has referred you through the Pays 2 Know program.  Select Yes and enter the referral ID of the person referring you (mine is P2K0421817234)

3.  Enter your info, and if you want to speed things up a bit, upload the front and back of your driver's license/ID and your ACC certificate.  Otherwise you'll get an email asking for these.

You can fund up to $249 between the two accounts with a credit card.  If you have a Citi Double Cash card, I can confirm that this counts as a purchase.  For other cards, be careful that you don't get charged a cash advance fee.  If in doubt, just fund with a linked bank account.  Otherwise data points for the credit card funding are here: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/does-funding-a-bank-account-with-a-credit-card-count-as-a-purchase-or-cash-advance/#Service_Credit_Union

4.  Once the account is open, you need to deposit $500 into the account to get your bonus.  There are many data points showing that you can just write yourself a check and use the Mobile Deposit feature in their app to get the $500 in almost instantly.  They have been posting the bonus within a day or two of the $500 deposit.  It looks like an ACH transfer from almost any bank will also work, it just won't be as fast as the check deposit.

5.  When your account is open and you want to generate your own referral ID for Two Player Mode, go here: https://servicecu.org/pays2know/

Chase Checking and Savings

Requirements for bonuses: Checking bonus requires one direct deposit of any amount within 90 days of opening the account to get $300.

Savings account requires you to transfer in $15,000 within 10 days and then keep it there for 90 days to get $200.  You then get an extra $100 if you do both the checking and savings accounts.

Lots of people have probably seen the interest rate on their savings accounts drop to under 1% by now, so this savings bonus gets you closer to a 5-8% annual return on your $15,000 (whether you count it as $200 or $300).

Link: https://account.chase.com/consumer/banking/LC92272

If you already have Chase accounts, you can log in and this application will take about a minute and a half total.  You can download a PDF at the end they call a Direct Deposit form, which has both of your account numbers.  From there, set up a direct deposit for the checking and link an external account for the savings account to get your money in there in time.

Here is a link showing what works for direct deposit, lots of methods seem to have stopped working recently, so you may need a real employer DD: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/knowledge-base/list-methods-banks-count-direct-deposits/#Chase

Both of these just seem like really easy bonuses for someone looking to dip their toes into the bank bonus game.  If you become hooked and start signing up for lots (my wife and I make $5000 or so a year from these), you can check DoctorofCredit.com for the best current offers, more specifically this page: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-bank-account-bonuses/
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 09:44:23 AM by kpd905 »

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Two Easy Bank Bonuses
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 04:34:23 AM »
New better offer for Sofi Money is available, so I edited the OP.  Now even better payout for these offers ($300 for one person or $700 for two people).  Sofi offer is dead
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 05:32:45 PM by kpd905 »

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 08:11:48 AM »
Thanks for that, I used to do the bonus all the time, may start up again if I do I will use your code.

FireAnt

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 07:34:14 PM »

4.  Once the account is open, you need to deposit $500 into the account to get your bonus.  There are many data points showing that you can just write yourself a check and use the Mobile Deposit feature in their app to get the $500 in almost instantly.  They have been posting the bonus within a day or two of the $500 deposit.  It looks like an ACH transfer from almost any bank will also work, it just won't be as fast as the check deposit.

Is this considered the "direct deposit" that is required? This is my hesitation in getting into churning. I don't want to have HR change my bank account constantly.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 07:40:37 PM »
@FireAnt the mobile check deposit is the only deposit required for Service Credit Union, no need to get any real direct deposits from an employer.  I wrote myself a $500 check, deposited it through the app, and had the $100 bonus the next day. 

missundecided

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 08:58:28 PM »
Is Service Credit Union a hard pull?

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 04:03:43 AM »
@missundecided No, just a soft pull. 

I have only done a couple bank bonuses with hard pulls, and try to get a minimum of $300 for those.

remizidae

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 04:29:42 PM »
Looks like the SoFi offer has disappeared now.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Two Easy Bank Bonuses (Service CU and Chase, updated 8/15)
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 05:34:19 PM »
The Sofi offer is officially dead, but Chase just brought back their $600 Checking and Savings ($300 checking, $200 savings + $100 if you do both) offer, so I added info on that offer to the OP.

nalor511

• Stubble
Re: Two Easy Bank Bonuses (Service Credit Union and Chase, updated 8/15)
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 02:41:39 PM »
Anyone do Service CU with frozen credit? Trying to decide if it's worth it, do not want to unfreeze 😁

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 03:17:52 PM »
@nalor511 There are a few comments on DoC saying that people were told they needed to unfreeze their credit to proceed.  I am not sure how hard it is to unfreeze, but once you get the account open it is only about 3 minutes to do a mobile deposit of a $500 check from yourself.  Still probably a pretty good hourly rate even with the credit unfreeze/freeze.

nalor511

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 03:30:02 PM »
Would you know which bureau needs unfreeze? Thx!

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2020, 04:43:05 AM »
@nalor511 I just pulled my credit reports and see that they did a soft pull to Experian, so you might just have to unfreeze that bureau.

remizidae

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2020, 06:54:53 AM »
I just got the SoFi $125 bonus, a week after opening the account. Thanks OP!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!