Author Topic: Travel to Aruba, NOLA and Pensacola Fl  (Read 5853 times)

annie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Travel to Aruba, NOLA and Pensacola Fl
« on: August 26, 2019, 01:07:39 PM »
Hi All,

We are traveling in November to the above two locations (off season and cheap).  We got a great deal on airplane tickets and places to stay.  We are not the type to do group tours or expensive touring.  However, I do want to see the swamps in NOLA and explore as much as possible.  We are fit and active.  We love to hike and explore. 

Any suggestions for MMM type travel in these areas?  Recommendations greatly appreciated as we plan the trip.

Thanks
Ann

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Travel to Aruba, NOLA and Pensacola Fl
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 01:39:15 PM »
Pensacola has some fantastic beaches nearby (Destin perhaps being the best-known). https://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/florida-beaches/5-emerald-coast-beaches-sugar-white-sand.html

My biggest recommendation for visitors to Florida is to explore some of the abundance of rivers on a canoe or kayak (though admittedly I haven't done so in the panhandle). https://paddleflorida.net/panhandle-paddle.htm

Enjoy!

annie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 01:46:44 PM »
Thank you!

We paddle board all summer here in vancouver.  We love it.  I really appreciate the link to great places to explore.  The thought of going inside to a theme park while in such beautiful land gives me shudders.  Thanks.  Ann

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 01:56:04 PM »
The Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola is world class and well worth a visit.  The price can't be beat either.

Highly recommended, and not just because I'm a retired Naval Aviator and son of a retired Naval Aviator...

https://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/

annie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 12:00:31 PM »

First and most importantly - thank you for your service.

I have checked this location out and it has definitely made the short list of activities.  it looks really interesting.  And,  As you say - the price is right!

Thank you,

Ann

ecchastang

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 01:39:21 PM »
The Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola is world class and well worth a visit.  The price can't be beat either.

Highly recommended, and not just because I'm a retired Naval Aviator and son of a retired Naval Aviator...

https://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/
Second this recommendation!  Grew up across the line in AL.  Also recommend the fort on Pensacola Beach. 

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 06:22:10 AM »
I went to Appalachicola a few years ago and enjoyed it. SW flights from Nashville to Pensacola are pretty cheap, so I thought about heading down for the long weekend. The incoming hurricane says otherwise.

HawkeyeNFO

• Bristles
  • Retired at 44.....back to work at 45
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 09:05:17 AM »
Aruba - be sure to get some snorkeling or diving in.  The water is so clear there, and lots of tropical fish swimming around

NOLA - Sure, do the French Quarter for a day, but I would recommend staying Uptown or in the Garden District.  Cheaper, cleaner, safer, quieter.  Bourbon Street is good to see one evening, but it's really for tourists who want to get drunk and spend money on crap.  Too many restaurants to mention all over town, but just don't be afraid to eat at the places that look scary from the outside.  Don't miss out on one of the haunted NOLA / ghost tours.  Be sure to catch some live music while you're in town too.

P'cola - yup, Naval Aviation Museum - do the tour of the additional hangar.  Blue Angels practice on Tuesday and Thursday mornings.  (I can still hear the flight instructor yelling at me when I was a student to get the plane started before they closed the airfield so the Blues could practice!)

ontheway2

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 11:55:23 AM »
I did a weekend in NOLA recently and really only spent money on food. We paid $3 for a 24 hour public transit pass and stayed near a stop. You can buy the pass when you get on the first time; have exact change. We also did a St Louis cemetary/French quarter/congo square walking tour for less than $20; the swamp tours were more in the $60 range and you had to drive out of town to meet.
We really just walked/rode all over, explored Jackson square, magazine street, the French quarter and French market, etc.

Eta: we only did the French quarter tour as it is the only way to get into st louis cemetary #1. I learned so much about the history of new Orleans though. Oh! and I went through a bit of ones for the street performers.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 12:02:38 PM by ontheway2 »