Author Topic: Toyota Highlander vs. Honda Pilot  (Read 8482 times)

pmac

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Toyota Highlander vs. Honda Pilot
« on: October 01, 2019, 10:45:58 AM »
Looking into purchasing a used 2010-2013 Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot.
Both vehicles seems very similar, curious if anybody here has had experience with either of them.

I've heard Honda engines are better, but I've had good experience with Toyota cars (Camry)

Thanks

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
Re: Toyota Highlander vs. Honda Pilot
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 05:41:11 PM »
Owned an Acura MDX (Same 3.5 Honda engine and transmission as the Pilot).

Currently own a Toyota Highlander.

Honda makes good engines, no doubt. Honda has always made so-so automatic transmissions. Lot's of recalls and failures (it's really important to research specific model years).

Toyota just seems to make a better product overall. If you forced me to choose I'd go Toyota.

Jesstache

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 06:24:50 PM »
We had to decide between the two and ended up with the Honda Pilot.  If actually being able to use the third row is important to you the Honda Pilot is the better option of the two.  It actually has 3 seats with 3 car seat Anchors, whereas the toyota was two little jump seats and i'm not even sure it had car seat anchors.  That was pretty much the deal breaker for us.  At least that was for the years we were looking at (2007-2010ish?).  It also seemed like the pilot was a better overall price vs a similarly spec'd highlander.  Maintenance and DIY repairs was always super easy also.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 07:38:53 PM »
Had a 2010 Highlander with the four cylinder engine.  Gas mileage was worse than the quoted mileage for the six cylinder.  Car started developing electrical gremlins at 4 years.  First the radio stopped working.  Then one day around 5 years and 50k miles, the door locks went, followed by the power windows.  The car was gone immediately.  Total POS and would never buy another one.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 05:00:02 AM »
I have owned a 2012 Toyota Highlander now for the last 7 years and can only say hands down the best vehicle i have ever owned. I like that its on a truck frame to tow things around and yet has plenty of space to haul kids or other things around. Also like the feeling of having something solid around me. Tires, brakes and Oil changes , great car!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 07:46:11 AM »
I have owned a 2012 Toyota Highlander now for the last 7 years and can only say hands down the best vehicle i have ever owned. I like that its on a truck frame to tow things around and yet has plenty of space to haul kids or other things around. Also like the feeling of having something solid around me. Tires, brakes and Oil changes , great car!

Yes, a big +1.  I bought my 2012 Toyota Highlander SE six-cylinder in October, 2011, and have 50,800K on it. I've had no problems and the only expenses have been basic routine maintenance, new tires, snow tires, and just recently a brake job. Oh, and very minor body work twice because of parking lot dings. I don't pay much attention to gas mileage, so can't speak to that, but what I spend on gas has never seemed like an issue for this Mustachian. I've used the vehicle for interstate, 900-mile round trips usually twice a year, and as my only vehicle day to day for carting around an elderly man with wheelchair and walker, three kids over the years at varying stages of needing car seats and boosters, a dog in a crate, and a five-foot tall folk harp in its case. So I've been driving this SUV for eight years this month, and can't recommend it highly enough. I can't imagine a more reliable vehicle or one that would suit my purposes any better.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 08:37:34 AM »
We've got a mid mileage Honda pilot that so far has been great.  While I don't like the boxy shape of pilots, one can cram an amazing amount of junk in them when hauling the youth.

From a reliability standpoint you are likely fine with either option.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 09:30:09 AM »

As long as you acknowledge you're driving a clown car and are cool with the mockings you should be receiving here.

pmac

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 09:27:21 AM »
http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Honda_Pilot.html

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Toyota_Highlander.html

Very good site. I also compared the Toyota RAV4 to the Honda CRV and looks like Honda is much more reliable.

sonoranson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 08:29:37 AM »
I've owned 2 Pilots.  2004 and now 2013.

I've had 1 repair covered under warranty.  I've replace tires and fluids on it.  Trouble free.  I'm still on the original pads and rotors.

Previously, I had an Acura TL I'd bought used.  Sold it with 220k miles and still ran great.

We have a 2012 Camry my wife used for work and now has 225k miles.  It's had a couple thousand in repairs done over the years.  My oldest will get that car for driving in a few weeks.

I don't think you could go wrong with Honda or Toyota.  We're pretty loyal with them.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 09:13:24 AM »

As long as you acknowledge you're driving a clown car and are cool with the mockings you should be receiving here.

I'm not sure I'd put Pilots & Highlanders in the clown car category...  But to each their own.

UndergroundDaytimeDad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 09:50:09 AM »
Highlanders are definitely not clown cars.  They are spacious, but not enormous.  Is a minivan a clown car?  I ask because the Highlander is very kind on gas and is quite comfortable for all occupants, but essentially has the same usable human and cargo capacity of most minivans I have ever been in.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 05:35:37 AM »
Highlanders are not clown cars. Even now, when Grandpa is gone and we no longer deal with the walker and the wheelchair--and the kids have outgrown the need for car seats and boosters--I still need the Highlander for my dog crate and harp.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 07:09:36 AM »
Currently driving a 2006 Highlander. 225k miles and counting despite New England winters. My cousin bought a late-model Highlander back in 2012(?) and they still have it, has been very reliable. So I guess anecdotally, pretty good luck with Highlanders.

With regular maintenance, either one of these options should be fairly reliable, though. Never owned a Honda myself but very strong reputation and I wouldn't hesitate if the right opportunity presented itself (actually considering getting a Honda for a second family vehicle at the moment). Seems like most of the people I know who drive Honda's drive older ones... ;-)

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2019, 07:30:48 AM »
We have driven a 2014 Pilot that we got used. Two complaints:
 1. It is not as convenient as a minivan - I hate having to step up to buckle in the middle car seat, and
 2. It is an expensive clown car and we could cut our cost per mile significantly if we switched to a vehicle that got 30+ mpg. I think I could save $9,000 over three years by selling the Pilot and buying a $7,000 used hatchback that got at least 30 mpg, it might be a little less savings if I got a roof rack and enclosed my trailer.

We do each get to decide what a clown car is, but from my understanding of the concept 17 mpg average is a clown car. Room for 8 passengers is a clown car (when only 5 people are in it 75% of the time and 6 people are in it 1% of the time) because 5 people fit in a non-clown car.  AWD is a clown car because FWD is as good/better on paved roads and with snow tires. SUV when living on paved roads is a clown car.  Hauling my 4x8 trailer with my SUV is a clown car.  All of these things make me a clown.

soupcxan

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2019, 09:00:41 AM »
Have a 2011 V6 Highlander with 120k miles. Zero maintenance besides oil, filters, and tires. Not even brake pads (but getting close).

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2019, 09:58:42 AM »
We have a 2005 Pilot that we’ve had since it was new, now approaching 195K miles. It has been an outstanding vehicle. The only repair it has ever needed was the window up/down motor for the driver’s window. Everything else has been routine maintenance, which we’ve kept current. We will drive this vehicle until it can go no further (or until it becomes unreliable.)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2019, 06:34:18 PM »
I have a 2006 Highlander.  160k miles.  No third row seating.  Every time we start to drool over the idea of an electric car, within the week I am loving the way the engine on the Highlander just keeps asking for more.  I have never had a car that I still enjoyed driving after owning it for more than 5 years.

The window switch on one door doesn't work anymore.  It has a lot of underbody rust because of where it was driven for the first 5 years (salt laden snowy mountain area near the coast).  Water got into the rear brake light housing and took a bit to troubleshoot... But, that is not the car's design fault.

The older ones (mine) are not that fuel efficient.

afreeman85

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2019, 06:00:07 PM »
I am bumping this thread! I am looking at those same options. How many miles are worth buying at? I am going to sell my fancy new car I bought a couple years ago back when work was making my car payment in order to get more size and less fancy.

5 of us right now but trying to have a baby, so will need room for 5 plus a car seat within the next couple years.

Seems like I can get a Pilot for under 10k with 100k-150k miles on it, I am just not sure if that is the right range to buy in. We will need it for the occasional long distance trip and a lot of 80 mile round trips to my parents house for visiting.

Mahoney1988

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2020, 10:54:51 AM »
I would personally go with the Toyota Highlander. Call me biased for working for Toyota and happen to work at the plant that builds these wonderful machines.

Some back story I worked at a place for roughly 13 years working to supply parts for the big three. I worked my way up through the ranks in the company to my last position being a production supervisor. I recently switched from that company to work for Toyota the start of December 2019 and currently still working there.

I can tell you hands down the quality control and safety of Toyota customers is and always be the highest priority in the company. They put us through 3-4 weeks of training before even being able to go to the departments to work on vehicles. We got to see all kinds of pictures and testimonials from customers who took time to write and email in to praise the quality and particular the safety of Toyota vehicles in crashes. It's really a way of life at Toyota and every employee from new to experienced are empowered to stop any part from being used that has quality issues that do no meet standards of Toyota that our customers deserve.

Long reply to say it's a personal preference and I've owned every make and model through my life but after working at Toyota for just this short period I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any one of their vehicles. I myself will be buying one of their Tacomas for my next vehicle and possibly a used Prius for traveling back and forth to work.

Hope this helps !

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2020, 11:06:41 AM »
Seems like I can get a Pilot for under 10k with 100k-150k miles on it, I am just not sure if that is the right range to buy in.

I'd go with the Highlander as a long-term vehicle. Hondas are good, but they've had issues with the transmissions that can crop up around that mileage.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2020, 08:52:42 PM »
I would personally go with the Toyota Highlander. Call me biased for working for Toyota and happen to work at the plant that builds these wonderful machines.

Some back story I worked at a place for roughly 13 years working to supply parts for the big three. I worked my way up through the ranks in the company to my last position being a production supervisor. I recently switched from that company to work for Toyota the start of December 2019 and currently still working there.

I can tell you hands down the quality control and safety of Toyota customers is and always be the highest priority in the company. They put us through 3-4 weeks of training before even being able to go to the departments to work on vehicles. We got to see all kinds of pictures and testimonials from customers who took time to write and email in to praise the quality and particular the safety of Toyota vehicles in crashes. It's really a way of life at Toyota and every employee from new to experienced are empowered to stop any part from being used that has quality issues that do no meet standards of Toyota that our customers deserve.

Long reply to say it's a personal preference and I've owned every make and model through my life but after working at Toyota for just this short period I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any one of their vehicles. I myself will be buying one of their Tacomas for my next vehicle and possibly a used Prius for traveling back and forth to work.

Hope this helps !

One of the worst cars I have ever owned was a 2010 4 cylinder Highlander from your factory.  It was a total POS.  It got worse gas mileage than the six cylinder.  It had multiple annoying issues from the first month.  At about 4 years the electrical system started to go.  First the radio.  Then the power windows and the door locks started malfunctioning intermittently.  Zero help from the dealer service department in locating or fixing the problems.  I held out until the car was just under 5 years old.  One day I could not lock the car in a parking lot, even manually.  The car was gone that afternoon.  I will pass on any more products from that factory, thanks.

mrmoonymartian

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2020, 04:37:47 AM »
There can be only one.