Author Topic: Toaster Oven  (Read 1902 times)

saijoe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Toaster Oven
« on: April 11, 2019, 08:10:55 AM »
Our toaster oven has been wonderful for years.  But one of the heating elements is developing a wicked bow (see picture).  Please no comments on cleaning the glass, we're on it.  My question is "is this thing gonna blow soon?".  Should I just go ahead and start shopping? 

momcpa

• Stubble
Re: Toaster Oven
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 02:36:45 PM »
I'd say BUY a new one soon.  They don't cost much and it would be a lot less expensive than cleaning up broken glass if it blows through the door of the toaster.  Or even worse it if burns or cuts or injures a person.  I would't count pennies when it comes to saving a person a trip to the doctor/ER/etc.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 06:40:50 PM »
Don’t mess with this. Get rid of it.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 07:04:08 PM »
I just replaced our wonky five year old toaster oven with a $50 model from Costco that has been perfectly adequate. It's on sale right now for $42. Missing the sale has made me die a little inside.

MusicLover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 11:47:39 AM »
If you want to try air frying, I think you can get convection style toaster ovens able to do the same thing as having the separate appliance for that would.  Plus they probably bake food faster too!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 12:14:00 AM »
Those calrods are usually replaceable, but a quick google seems to imply that it might not be worth the price. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 06:25:24 PM »
Can't you just face it towards the wall while it's running?  Then you can keep using it until it blows up.  THEN you buy a new one.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 07:04:31 PM »
Can't you just face it towards the wall while it's running?  Then you can keep using it until it blows up.  THEN you buy a new one.

I'm pretty skeptical that it would explode at all.  That doesn't mean it's safe, and there's a potential shock or fire hazard.

https://goodsonengineering.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/ISFI-Abstract_Heating-Element-Failures.pdf