Author Topic: Ting Customer Service Plummets  (Read 3673 times)

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
Ting Customer Service Plummets
« on: September 04, 2015, 10:20:34 AM »
I'm still a happy Ting user. But after reading the Ting forums (“Ask Ting”, and “Discussions”, both on ting.com) I am even happier that I'm not needing Ting tech or customer support.

The pick up the phone after a few rings and no hold policy is long gone. Even web chat is often unavailable. The Ting system is set up to hang up on people after being on hold a couple of hours.

The Ting forums have acquired a couple of “Ting sucks” type trolls. Ignoring those two individuals there are still a lot of lucid and similar complaints of nearly nonexistent customer service.

Also, Ting employees have abandoned participation in the Ting forums. They used to answer faithfully, even apologizing if a thread was overlooked. Now most useful replies comes from the one loyal long time non-employee Ting Army member.

I'm taking this as a bad sign for the future of Ting. They got an enormous influx of customers from the top rating that Consumer Reports gave them. That was eight months ago. They should have scaled by now.

Add to that the fact that traditional carriers are moving closer to Ting's model of no subsidized phones and lower bills for lighter users.

I'm thinking that they may go from an embarrassment of riches (too many new customers to gracefully accommodate) straight to the poverty of people leaving in droves.

Anyone here used Ting tech support or customer service lately?

If so, how did it go?

If you got straight through, are you a new customer?

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Ting Customer Service Plummets
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 11:24:31 AM »
I have had Ting for just under two years.  I haven't used the customer service for my phones since the first couple of months, but I'm in one of their Internet areas and have had super good support in June and July on Internet service. 

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 11:32:55 AM »
I've had to use it. Had no issues with the "press 3 and you'll keep your place in line and we will call you back" button, so it wasn't that much annoyance. The worst part was when I wasn't available to pick up the phone when they called, so it went to voicemail, they said call back--you call back and you're back to ground zero.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 06:33:44 PM »
I have had Ting for just under two years.  I haven't used the customer service for my phones since the first couple of months, but I'm in one of their Internet areas and have had super good support in June and July on Internet service.

I've been with Ting three years now. I've called them twice, but not recently. They did indeed answer quickly and I was never put on hold.

I had forgot about their fiber Internet. I wonder if they use the same support personnel for Internet and cellular?

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 08:45:07 PM »
Called them last week.
They didn't pick up the call, I opted for the "call back" option.
It took about an hour for them to call back, but when they did, they resolved my issue within minutes, so I am pretty happy still.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 09:10:26 PM »
Called them last week.
They didn't pick up the call, I opted for the "call back" option.
It took about an hour for them to call back, but when they did, they resolved my issue within minutes, so I am pretty happy still.

Between your experience and mtn's, maybe it is not as bad as it seemed to me to be from reading the Ting forums. Still, it is kind of a shock; a year ago those forums were pretty much 98% happy campers.

usedsoup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 08:43:52 PM »
I just had this same experience. Been a customer for 2 years and had a live person on the phone in 3 rings 2 years ago. Called a few weeks ago and got the new hold response. A mild nuisance for paying half as much in our phone bill.

Sent from my Studio Mini LTE using Tapatalk

Gumbo1978

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 07:59:46 AM »
I used their online chat system a couple of months ago and they resolved my issue quickly (took about 5 minutes).