Author Topic: Streaming NHL Hockey?  (Read 5222 times)

RumbleKittie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Streaming NHL Hockey?
« on: January 02, 2015, 09:45:08 AM »
My husband and I never had cable, and Netflix more than provides for our entertainment needs. However, we do enjoy watching Stars games. We're thinking of subscribing to GameCenter Live, but it averages out to about $18 a month. I think it'd be ultimately worth it, since if we go out to a sports bar once a month for a "date night", it has been more than $18 for that evening. We'd much prefer to stay at home, though, where we can prepare our own food, drink cheaper, and not have to get a babysitter once our baby's here. Plus, we'd be able to watch more than 1 game per month! :-P Before we bite the bullet on GameCenter, I was wondering if you guys had any cheaper alternatives to streaming hockey games. Right now, we have everything (Plex, Netflix, etc.) connected through an xbox 360 to a projector.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Streaming NHL Hockey?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 08:54:07 AM »
You don't say where you are in Texas, but if you're in the Dallas area or what's considered to be the Stars' home territory you wouldn't be able to get GameCenter anyway, since the powers that be figure that you have cable and can get the games.  However, there's a Dutch website called Hockeystreams.com.  For $110 a year you get all the games, including the playoffs.  You can even get minor league and KHL (Russian superleague) games and stuff like the NHL Awards.  Some have questioned the legality of the site, but the explanation is that the NHL has no jurisdiction in the Netherlands, and since it's been around for about five years I have no doubt the NHL knows about it and would have made moves to shut it down a long time ago if it had a problem.  The games are available in hi-def.  I know you can stream through Roku, but I'm not sure about Xbox (I just watch on my laptop).  Last year HS offered a playoff package.  I still had DirecTV at the time--and paying through the nose for it because the NHL Network is on the second-highest-priced tier.  I bought the package, streamed my first game, loved it, and immediately fired DirecTV.  One of the best decisions I've ever made.  PM me if you have any questions!

PS--LET'S GO PENS!!!!!  :D

RumbleKittie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 09:02:47 AM »
Aww, that's disappointing. We are indeed in the Dallas area. I had looked into the hockeystreams.com site, but they've closed registration to new members for the time being. :-( For the moment, we've found some other NHL streams online, but they're pretty low resolution. He can watch it on the laptop, but whenever we want to watch a game together, it's a bit awkward for us to huddle around the laptop screen. Thanks for the feedback! Looks like we'll have to explore this a bit more! :-D

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 09:08:50 AM »
Don't let that deter you--send a request for an invitation to HS and you usually get it within a day or two.  It's weird how that's set up but I've never heard of anyone even having to wait a week for an invitation. 

College Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 08:14:37 PM »
Anyone know any good sites for in-market mlb games?

Texan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 01:07:52 PM »
Search on google (Use google chrome and Install AddBlock)

Cigar2011

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Pay attention to the details
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 06:18:46 AM »
USTVNOW.http://www.ustvnow.com  I haven't use this service yet so don't know much about it.  It's a live stream for the channels that used to be free when we were kids. CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, MY9, etc.  you have to sign up for a free account.

Another option you may want to look into is Kodi (formally XBMC).  It IS software that runs on your computer. You then download add-ons for different categories of shows. For sports you use sports devil. The Kodi and the add-ons are free. 

Leanthree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 01:37:56 PM »
Hockey package + Ad Free Time @ 2.99 per month.

Ad Free Time reroutes your DNS data through a proxy that hides your location from the NHL and allows you to watch in-market games.

It takes about 10 minutes of set-up and works forever. Supposedly it works on the new Roku but I just use my PC and hook that up to the tv with a cord.

https://adfreetime.com/ It has some other bonuses like being able to watch other country's netflix.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 11:21:34 AM »
firstrow you can find all US sports just use adblock and chrome

piffle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 03:33:14 PM »
Since they are local broadcast, can't you put up an antenna and get them all OTA for free?  The picture quality of OTA is the best signal available because it isn't compressed like cable or (especially) online streams.  This is assuming they have hockey on a local channel where you are.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!