Author Topic: SPRINT offering one year FREE service  (Read 22855 times)

change_seeker

• Bristles
Re: SPRINT offering one year FREE service
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2018, 08:40:16 AM »
I signed up this month!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2018, 09:03:02 AM »
We are going to try this too.  Currently in the process of unlocking our phones.....
If all goes well this service may be able to replace our home internet service as well as our cell phone plan.  That would be great!

I'm not sure this offer is still good, most of this thread was during mid 2017!

It is still available

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2018, 10:23:18 AM »

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2018, 04:18:09 AM »
When I checked the link the offer had been renewed and is good until end of April 2018!  Yay!

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2018, 11:35:49 AM »
My bill went from $122.38 to $8.  The call quality is noticeably worse, but not $114.38 worse.

SwitchActiveDWG

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2018, 04:37:50 PM »
My bill went from $122.38 to $8.  The call quality is noticeably worse, but not $114.38 worse.

Mine went from $70 to $8. And my data from 2 gb to 10 gb

Not complaining about minor call quality drop off

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2018, 04:54:09 PM »
I'm using so much free data now that it'll be an adjustment when we go back to a regular plan.  My free year expires at the end of June.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2018, 04:57:03 PM »

Yup, that's my math also.  Our bill went down by 93% and our call quality by about 10-15%.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2018, 10:08:49 PM »
I'm using so much free data now that it'll be an adjustment when we go back to a regular plan.  My free year expires at the end of June.

Me too.  That's what Sprint is counting on, hedonic adaption. 

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2018, 05:32:48 AM »
Slightly annoying first world problem: Verizon continues to bill.  Before switching, Sprint told me that they would 'handle everything seamlessly'.  Now, I'm continuing to get bills from Verizon, and am anticipating spending hours on hold with both companies.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2018, 07:24:25 AM »
My experience with sprint so far has been that they definitely do not have their shit together. 

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2018, 10:34:55 AM »
My experience with sprint so far has been that they definitely do not have their shit together.

I've been very fortunate in that I've had no reason to contact their customer service since signing up.  I understand dealing with them can be difficult.

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2018, 11:31:48 AM »

Ours will be up around then too. I'm curious what folks intend to do when the promotion is over.

I have no plan on staying with Sprint unless for some reason we can hustle another free year out of them. I won't go back to Verizon - too expensive. Just the other day I got an add in the mail for Xfinity (Comcast) for cell service which made me lol... everyone wants a slice of this market.

Has anyone decided what they are going to do after the promotion ends?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2018, 12:48:49 PM »
I signed up right around the start of the new year.  In late december I plan to move back to republic wireless.  My wife is too good for RW, so we will probably put her on a verizon plan.  Last we checked verizon was $35/mo for 2GB data and unlimited talk/text.

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2018, 03:19:09 PM »
Verizon promos are kind of misleading. There will be a line access charge too, on top of the price of the data plan ($20/phone I think?), and I think they limit what data packages you can purchase if you're on a solo plan. They'll nail ya with an activation fee I think too. Ugh I'm a jaded ex-Verizon customer.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2018, 01:02:52 PM »
I signed up right around the start of the new year.  In late december I plan to move back to republic wireless.  My wife is too good for RW, so we will probably put her on a verizon plan.  Last we checked verizon was $35/mo for 2GB data and unlimited talk/text.

If it needs to be Verizon, you could do worse than RedPocket, assuming it sticks around.  Customer service is often a bit clueless, but they do eventually get things straightened out.  My $10/month plan ends up being $10.22 with tax, so they don't add a lot. 

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2018, 06:40:29 PM »
According to the Sprint web page the offer expires tomorrow (4/30/2018). It will be interesting to see if it is extended again given the recent announcement of a merger with T-Mobile.

If anyone is still contemplating this I'd recommend signing up right away.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2018, 09:25:42 AM »
...and the beat goes on.  The offer has been yet again extended:

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/offers/free-unlimited.html?ECID=vanity:1yearfree

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2018, 09:59:47 AM »
It's not gonna stop, it's never gonna stop!

https://youtu.be/2bjC-VMUhIs?t=87

TeresaB

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2018, 06:23:39 PM »
Has anyone successfully gotten this offer coming from Ting?

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2018, 06:30:53 PM »
In all seriousness I'm going to miss this.  Our year expires at the end of July.  We've been spoiled with unlimited data and $8 monthly bills.

Any advice as to what we should do after it ends?

missundecided

• Bristles
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2018, 07:45:04 PM »
Has anyone successfully gotten this offer coming from Ting?

Me!

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2018, 08:57:41 AM »
I had to pay the last month's bill with Verizon.  They actually sent it to collections.
But yup, still $8/mo.
I'm looking for suggestions to keep this party going a la @Pizzabrewer

CG6152011

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2018, 06:34:37 AM »
Just an update, the link is still working so I am fairly certain its still going on:
https://www.sprint.com/content/sprint/sprint_com/us/en/shop/offers/free-unlimited.html

ManyMountains

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2018, 04:17:40 PM »
It appears that the offer is still good. My wife and I are both on $20/month plan (and happy), so to move to Sprint would not save us much. But I have a friend who is interested and I shared this thread with him - maybe he'll make the switch!

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/offers/free-unlimited.html?ECID=vanity:1yearfree

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2018, 06:04:34 PM »
For those of us about to rotate off the Sprint promotion, I just spent 35 minutes trying to get them to extend the deal and they wouldn't. I'm hoping I can save others some time, because in the very very slight chance they might extend it, I thought it would be worth the time... but no dice. Here's how it went:

Call Sprint
Go through automated nonsense
Get hung up on by automated service after ~5 minutes on hold for "high call volume"
Call Sprint
Get hung up on by automated service after ~5 minutes on hold for "high call volume"
Call Sprint
Magically find the precise numerical combination to get me through to a human
Try for 10 minutes to get a very nice woman at an Indian call center to be able to log into my account
Tell woman its ok that she can't get me logged in, I will just go to a store to cancel
Hear woman freak out at the word CANCEL and transfer me to...
LEVEL TWO EMERGENCY aka "Supervisor"
Spend 5 minutes trying to get another very nice woman at an Indian call center logged into my account
Spend another 5 minutes talking about how much money I will save by not cancelling Sprint
Tell woman it's ok I am still going to cancel if they can't extend the promotion
Woman transfers me to...
LEVEL THREE EMERGENCY aka "Account Services"
Apparently at LEVEL THREE EMERGENCY you get an American call center
Woman proceeds to tell me, "Whoa, you are on the best plan available, yeah no one here has the authority to extend that one for more than a year, sorry!"
THANK YOU that is all I wanted to know
Ask woman, so what is the process to cancel next month then, can I do it online or should I go to a store?
Oh just call us back!
Um, I just spent 35 minutes on the phone trying to cancel my account, I think I'll just go to a store, but thanks!

The double whammy here is that my call quality with Sprint is awful, so through this whole process there was a lot of... wait what? I'm sorry can you repeat that? I feel so badly for call center folks that have to try to defend poor quality products... I'm like, yes this is a great service when it's free, because I get what I pay for if you get what I'm saying... D:

I may give Total Wireless a try. Anyone have any experience with them?

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2018, 06:14:55 PM »
Wow Ruby, thanks for taking one for the team.

My free service runs out at the end of July. I'm gonna miss it.

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2018, 11:50:15 AM »
Just signed up for this. First bill was about 7 bucks. Also going to cancel satellite radio in the car (*facepunch*) because we're driving a lot less lately, and we can now stream without worrying about our data limit (previously on 2 GB shared between 2 people with VZ).

Yay for saving money.

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2018, 09:05:19 PM »
Have someone who wants to sign up for this deal but is losing their phone and number (business phone, and they're quitting their job). Any ideas re: workarounds?

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2018, 10:55:41 AM »
Our Sprint deal was about to end so we signed up for Total Wireless. Our 2 phones with 15GB shared is $63.34 including taxes/fees and there was no activation fee and no contract. We were able to bring our own phones and port our numbers over with minimal problems (just about 45 minutes talking to TW customer service to make sure the second line ported correctly). The service is noticeably better. Sprint call quality is SO BAD where we are. We get coverage in areas that were previously dead zones too. It's sad to be paying again, but we're paying for a better product at least (and it's still much cheaper than Verizon).

The reason I decided to pop back in here though is to notify anyone about to end their Sprint service that Sprint may send you promotions to reactivate your lines. We got one promotion email that would pay us $150 for one line's reactivation or $250 for two or more lines' reactivation. I am not going to bother with it, but I thought it might be worth mentioning. If anyone wants to game them a bit, you could always go back for the $150/$250 and that might pay for another couple of months for free, depending on your situation.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2018, 01:37:49 PM »
Were those promo offers before or after you signed up with TW?

We're losing our free service at the end of the month. My wife, who had to be talked into Sprint at the beginning, now doesn't want to give it up. She gets better reception at work than previously with ATT.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 04:21:30 PM by Pizzabrewer »

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2018, 01:58:05 PM »
We're those promo offers before or after you signed up with TW?

The promo was after we ported out. To port out we needed new SIM cards which took about a week to arrive (though TW BYOP SIM cards were like $2 and free shipping, so very negligible cost there). We didn't have any other lines with Sprint so our account became deactivated, which is probably what triggered the promo. So if you were going to try to game it, I would suggest porting to a cheap service that doesn't have an activation/deactivation fee and no contract of course. Then you could hope Sprint sends you the promo and port back to get the credit.

It seemed like a hassle to me (and I didn't know it was coming) so I didn't jump on it, but $250 would get you another few months at least "for free" if it's worth it. Keep in mind though that whatever cheap service you switched to may still charge you for the full month, which would eat into that $250. And it may be difficult to port out of a cheap service as the customer service is generally what's lacking.

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2018, 02:11:55 PM »
Just FYI I read through the block-of-text fine print on the promo and it seems there is a $30/line activation fee to come back to Sprint, so that $250 might actually be $190 if you brought two lines back and couldn't get them to waive the fee. Also note that the promotion amount is a credit against future billings on your Sprint account, not cash. It also says credit approval required (odd for a returning customer...) so they might have to do at least a soft pull on your credit.

It seems like quite the hassle to me but if anyone is successful in claiming the promo, hats off to you! You have more patience than I do :)

change_seeker

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2018, 12:59:10 PM »
Has anyone replaced their device and maintained the pricing deal?  I brought over my iPhone 5s and my wife's iPhone 5c from Verizon in March.  On Saturday I lost my phone and now need a replacement.  I was fishing with my four kids and I'm pretty sure it fell in the pond when we were all jumping around at the excitement of catching a trout.

I'm thinking I can just get another old iPhone off of ebay, buy a new SIM, and be in business.  But I'm sure that Sprint will try to get me to buy a new phone with a new plan.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2018, 04:16:18 PM »
So I've been pondering what to do.  My free year is up in 3 weeks.

Then today I see this on doctorofcredit.com:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/sprint-unlimited-how-to-get-a-second-year-of-free-cellular-service/

I think I'll give this a try for a second free year...

change_seeker

• Bristles
« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2018, 11:43:39 AM »
Has anyone replaced their device and maintained the pricing deal?  I brought over my iPhone 5s and my wife's iPhone 5c from Verizon in March.  On Saturday I lost my phone and now need a replacement.  I was fishing with my four kids and I'm pretty sure it fell in the pond when we were all jumping around at the excitement of catching a trout.

I'm thinking I can just get another old iPhone off of ebay, buy a new SIM, and be in business.  But I'm sure that Sprint will try to get me to buy a new phone with a new plan.

Success!

First I went into a Sprint store to find out what my options are for keeping the deal with a different device.  Clueless employees stated I needed to get a Sprint iPhone 6 or newer.  Started looking at Craigslist phones so I could meet the buyer at a Sprint store and verify functionality.

Light bulb went off.  There is an iPhone 5c sitting on the electronics shelf in our closet!  It has a broken screen, but still...  Replacement screen on Amazon is $20-30.  However, I was supposed to be flying out for work in Sunday, so started looking at local phone repair shops.  $60, done in an hour.

Back to the Sprint store to confirm the 5c would work before replacing the screen.  After 30 minutes of waiting and employee head-scratching while staring at the computer, he told me I had to do it online.  If I do it online they will ship me a SIM card for $13.  However, he could sell me a SIM card for $27 (grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr).  Walked out with SIM card.

Later that night called Sprint, confirmed SIM card would work, installed, and now have a functional phone.  Was going to head to the repair shop tonight, but just found out my trip is cancelled.  Save $30 and do the screen myself?  I have done one before.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2018, 07:16:51 PM »

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/sprint-unlimited-how-to-get-a-second-year-of-free-cellular-service/

OK I just ordered the T-Mobile starter kits from Amazon, $21 including sales tax.  They should be here in 2 days.  There were some other cheaper, quicker but sketchier-sounding options mentioned in the Doctor of Credit article but I'd rather keep this straightforward.  I'll post again as I go through the process to let y'all know how it goes.  A second year of free Sprint would be terrific.

CG6152011

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2018, 12:33:46 PM »
I just brought my phones to ting today as my free year ends next week, checked my eligibility for both phones and got the green light on sprint. Think I am going to order my SIM cards today and go back to not caring about data for another year.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2018, 07:18:33 PM »

OK I just ordered the T-Mobile starter kits from Amazon, $21 including sales tax.  They should be here in 2 days.  There were some other cheaper, quicker but sketchier-sounding options mentioned in the Doctor of Credit article but I'd rather keep this straightforward.  I'll post again as I go through the process to let y'all know how it goes.  A second year of free Sprint would be terrific.

So I sat down tonight with the intention of giving this a go.  Got all my info together then got cold feet.  I posted a few questions on the DofC thread and hopefully will get some answers.  If anyone here has any insights I'd appreciate it:

"I have a few questions. After porting our numbers to TMobile, we won’t have the ability to call Sprint to port back to Sprint as our phones will be inactive. Can we instead go through the online signup process as we did last year signing up for the first time? If so, can we bypass the “order SIM card” step?

If we can’t do it online, I suppose I could call from work, but since it’ll be my wife’s name/SS on the account I assume they’d want to speak with her.

And if a phone call to Sprint is necessary, how do you specify upon porting the numbers back that you want the free unlimited plan?

Also, does anyone know the phone numbers for both TMobile and Sprint that would need to be called? Is it just the general CS number? I remember on signing up last year that the regular CSRs knew very little about the free plan and that there was a separate department to handle my request. I’m worried about porting over to TMobile then being stuck not getting back to Sprint by doing things in the wrong order or speaking with the wrong department.

I have the TMobile SIM cards in hand but am hesitant to get started without knowing exactly what I’m getting into.

Thanks in advance for any help."

CG6152011

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2018, 04:24:49 AM »
Not sure if it helps, I ported my numbers to Ting online ($6 for 2 SIM Cards) I Then ordered the sprint ones and it took a day or 2 to receive. I have checked and re-checked my numbers and will be activating online tonight. I did not have to call anyone so far. to activate sprint online after you receive your cards its www.sprint.com/activatenow , do not go to the activate section of the website on the header or you will be stuck in an endless loop of hell.

Does this make sense or did I miss your question?

Edit: update link
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 04:47:24 AM by CG6152011 »

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2018, 05:09:57 AM »
Not sure if it helps, I ported my numbers to Ting online ($6 for 2 SIM Cards) I Then ordered the sprint ones and it took a day or 2 to receive. I have checked and re-checked my numbers and will be activating online tonight. I did not have to call anyone so far. to activate sprint online after you receive your cards its www.sprint.com/activatenow , do not go to the activate section of the website on the header or you will be stuck in an endless loop of hell.

Does this make sense or did I miss your question?

Edit: update link

Thanks. So are you without service for the day or 2 waiting for the SIM cards?

I guess my main question about the process described in the DofC post is exactly how it works getting the new free account up and running. It just says to call Sprint and port the numbers back and Voila! you've got another free year. It seems some steps/details are missing.

CG6152011

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2018, 06:11:59 PM »
Ok so I wasn't without service at all, I will give you the rundown:
Checked on Ting that my numbers were portable and phone compatible, ordered sim cards and ported my number from Sprint to Ting once I received the TING Cards (10-15 minutes without service).
Started service with TING (12-18$) for a few days, saw this thread and ordered Sprint Cards using my wifes name as account holder (matches the Ting account).
Waited until Sprint cards arrived. Got the porting information from TING and activated SIM cards and ported from Ting to Sprint (10-15 minutes without service*)
Service on sprint was previously in my name, no issues!

*since ting gives you a pin number per line my wifes line was out of commission for an hour, I just had to call Sprint to fix the pin number.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2018, 08:58:50 PM »
Ok so I wasn't without service at all, I will give you the rundown:
Checked on Ting that my numbers were portable and phone compatible, ordered sim cards and ported my number from Sprint to Ting once I received the TING Cards (10-15 minutes without service).
Started service with TING (12-18$) for a few days, saw this thread and ordered Sprint Cards using my wifes name as account holder (matches the Ting account).
Waited until Sprint cards arrived. Got the porting information from TING and activated SIM cards and ported from Ting to Sprint (10-15 minutes without service*)
Service on sprint was previously in my name, no issues!

*since ting gives you a pin number per line my wifes line was out of commission for an hour, I just had to call Sprint to fix the pin number.

Awesome.  Thanks.  Just as I suspected, you need to pay for an intermediate service while waiting for the new Sprint SIM cards.  I don't mind that at all, I just didn't understand the DofC instructions that glossed over the process of signing back up with Sprint.

At this point I'm planning to port our numbers to T-Mobile, pay the minimum for their "Pay as You Go" plan to keep the phones ringing for a few days, then sign up online again for the Sprint free year under my wife's name/SSN.

Thanks again for the info!!

Field123

• Stubble
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2018, 08:52:54 AM »
My (wife's) free year expires at the end of this month and I'm trying to figure out what to do from here. (My phone is reimbursed through work and its best to keep my wife on a separate plan or else they proportionately reduce my reimbursement... annoying).

I just talked to Sprint's customer service to find out what the new bill would be after the promo rate -- they told me it would be $25/month per line for the Unlimited Plan. (She somehow uses 9GB a month so unlimited would be good)

I'm considering following the doctor of credit article and switching to a new provider then coming back to Sprint to get another free year... but Sprint's website says it has to come over from Verizon or ATT. Has anyone had success bringing it from T-Mobile? Especially since the two have merged?

At $25 it may just be best to continue on with Sprint Unlimited as-is... What do you all think?

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2018, 10:17:15 AM »
I'm considering following the doctor of credit article and switching to a new provider then coming back to Sprint to get another free year... but Sprint's website says it has to come over from Verizon or ATT. Has anyone had success bringing it from T-Mobile? Especially since the two have merged?

You could switch to visible.com (a verizon company). It is $40/month for an unlimited plan. Much better service for unlimited.
Then, you could switch over if you want to.

I believe that you need a specific phone for this to work....