Author Topic: SPRINT offering one year FREE service  (Read 22854 times)

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
SPRINT offering one year FREE service
« on: June 15, 2017, 08:53:37 AM »
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/13/15792628/sprint-free-year-unlimited-service-deal-promo

This deal looks like it was designed for us. My wife and I have paid-off and unlocked iPhone 6s. Together with our son we are paying ATT $120 per month for service. Seems like a no-brainer.

Anyone else looking at this?

Neo

• Stubble
Re: SPRINT offering one year FREE service
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 10:28:11 AM »
Looks pretty awesome. Put me as a referral and we would both get gift cards worth $100 or $150 I think :) (or anyone you know who is on Sprint)

Ozymandiaz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 12:49:27 PM »
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/13/15792628/sprint-free-year-unlimited-service-deal-promo

This deal looks like it was designed for us. My wife and I have paid-off and unlocked iPhone 6s. Together with our son we are paying ATT $120 per month for service. Seems like a no-brainer.

Anyone else looking at this?
There are cheaper deals than AT&T for $120, if you look into MVNOs.
This Sprint deal sounds interesting, but I'm sure it isn't totally free (I think there is an account fee plus taxes) and some people don't like Sprint coverage (or lack thereof). Depends on where you live I suppose. If you do sign up, please share the details.
I just wonder why Sprint is doing this. A years worth of "unlimited" service is a pretty expensive thing to give away for free...

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 07:23:06 PM »
So I went to 2 different Sprint stores.  The folks at both insisted there is no such deal even after I showed them the offer on Sprint's webpage.

Now I'm really curious...

TaxChick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 07:34:47 PM »
https://www.sprint.com/content/sprint/sprint_com/us/en/shop/offers/free-unlimited.html

It is an online only deal.  They can't offer it to you in the store.

JackieTreehorn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 02:50:48 PM »
I just jumped on this last night.  Awaiting sim cards for my wife and I to make the switch official.  All the research I did led me to believe it's legit.  I'm in a huge urban area so not too concerned about sprint's reliability. 

Only downsides were that we had to buy a new phone for my wife because her iphone 5 was too old and not compatible for whatever reason.  So had to drop $400 on a new phone, but she needed a new one anyway.  The other issue was that something didn't go through correctly when I tried to switch due to some issue when they ran my credit (not a credit score issue I don't imagine since mine is near 800).  Had to call in the Sprint to get the credit check done manually and oh boy, based on my experience I'm hoping I never have to deal with their customer service department...

On the plus side there's no contract so if anything goes awry we can switch back to verizon or whoever. 

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 02:55:28 PM »
I tried really hard to like Sprint when I had it, but it was just awful. Got awful service a lot of the time even when in metro areas that their service map says should be solid.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 08:02:03 PM »
To quote IP Daley on the Communications thread (whole Sprint thread starts about the 4th post down):

Anyone else heard of Sprint's "free unlimited for a year" offer?
[snip]
Anything I'm missing here?

Read the fine print at the bottom of the page. Relevant below quoted under fair use:

Req. AutoPay, eBill, and port-in from postpaid carrier.
[snip]
Excl. ports made between Sprint or related entities.

Can't be 100% certain, but I suspect the second part excludes all Sprint MVNOs, postpaid or not. That said, I suspect Sprint might view Ting as a prepaid MVNO given even Ting views itself as somewhat nebulous on the subject depending on where you draw the lines, roaming or not. Businesses aren't in the business of losing money. You can try, but color me skeptical.

That's the benefits of being an optimistic pessimist. When you're proven wrong, it's usually good news. That said...

The first thing that jumps out at me is the complete lack of clarification on whether you're obligated under contract to a hard length of service time even if you bring your own device, and the current general terms and conditions don't help appease that concern.

Always read the contract before you sign. ALWAYS.

As for why the offer, it's likely happening due to the possibility of a T-Mobile merger and Softbank trying to pump up their Sprint subscription numbers at the last minute to improve their sale price to either T-Mobile or another potential buyer. Sprint's postpaid terms and stealth fees are treacherous in general these days. Why anyone would willingly go under those, even for the promise of a year's worth of "free" service is beyond me, but I'm one of those crazy nutjobs who checks the teeth on a gift horse before taking it. Finally, if the merger talks prove out, I'm not sure I'd personally want to be on the absorbed network end of a merger due to the inevitable technical issues of combining two massively disparate networks and billing systems.

My gut says this is a bad idea, and "free" anything should immediately send up red flags with any semi-rational person, but there are days it doesn't seem like many people care too much for my my more measured and cautious methodologies anymore. If you're brave enough to go back to a postpaid contract with Sprint even despite current circumstances, I wish you well.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 08:17:46 PM »
I got in under the wire.  Both my wife's and my phones are compatible so all we need are the SIM cards.  Our son will have to set up his own phone service as his phone wasn't eligible.  He's off in the world on his own so it's probably time anyway.

Only odd thing is on the final confirmation page.  It says my PIN number is displayed, which I will need for setting up online access or account service help.  There is no PIN displayed.  I'm on hold with their customer service to get it sorted out.

JackieTreehorn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 10:47:14 AM »
Mine was in this box on the right not in the text of the confirmation.  I missed it at first too.  Mine was 6 digits long.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 06:35:54 PM »
ALL RIGHT!  After weeks of wondering what the catch would be, I just got our SIM cards installed and we are now on the Sprint network.  FREE service until 7/31/2018!

This is the most Mustachian thing we've done.  Woo hoo!

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 08:27:59 PM »
...and for those interested it looks like Sprint has extended the signup deadline to July 31.   So you can still get you some free service.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 05:35:05 AM »
Free service doesn't mean the bill is $0.00.  It looks like our first bill will be for $8.32.  They do charge $1.99 per line for a maintenance fee, then there are a few taxes and regulatory charges.

I think I'll take $8.32 for 2 phones.  8)

BTW we've found the service to be pretty much equal to ATT.  It's marginally worse at our house but both of us get slightly better reception at work.

The promo ends July 31, so grab it while you can.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 06:11:04 AM »
I tried really hard to like Sprint when I had it, but it was just awful. Got awful service a lot of the time even when in metro areas that their service map says should be solid.

Sadly that's my experience, too.  I don't live in a remote area.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 06:29:22 AM »
So it seems Sprint keeps extending the signup deadline for this deal.  You can still get it.

After several months I am quite satisfied.  Our reception is only marginally spottier than ATT.

The unlimited data is nice.  We only had 3 gigs of high-speed before.

What I like best are the monthly bills for $8.32.

gravitysmiles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2017, 10:35:14 AM »
Crap. I already have Sprint it costs me $60 a month for terrible service.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2017, 05:15:34 PM »
I keep hearing about Sprint's terrible service.  It hasn't been so for us.

It's also been $8.32/month for 2 phones.

I call that awesome.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 05:38:23 PM by Pizzabrewer »

Mac_MacGyver

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2017, 05:26:52 PM »
I pay about 32 for their service, maybe 26. I get text messages days late if ever, text messages don't go out, sometimes I can't make calls, sometimes calls don't come in, messages left in voicemail arrive days late. Overall sprint is awful, I am just too lazy to change it up as I don't use my phone all that often. I would advise against them though.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2017, 11:30:04 PM »
Are there any obligations saying you can't leave at the end of the free year?

It looks like they just keep extending this offer. I hope it's still available next month after we get new phones (our current phones are too old). We had Sprint for years and years, but fled for Ting in the last year or two because they were just too expensive.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 03:55:48 PM »
Are there any obligations saying you can't leave at the end of the free year?

Nope, no obligations, no contract.

alexstjo26

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2017, 02:32:20 PM »
Sprint is so bad even at free it isn't worth it. You will never be able to talk to anyone in customer s rice.

TaxChick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2017, 03:18:25 PM »
Sprint has made a lot of recent upgrades, but unless you have a newer phone that supports three carrier aggregation and some of the newer spectrum bands, you will continue to struggle.

CG6152011

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2017, 04:44:22 AM »
Switched from $110 a month 3GB on Verizon to $7.25 on sprint (2 iphones) . No noticeable issues or differences over the last 2 months except when in a store. I will gladly accept this massive discount. Just need to plan accordingly when the promo runs out.

iTellStories

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 06:30:17 PM »
I'm a flight attendant, and travel the entirety of North America and Europe regularly with my Sprint service.  The only place I've ever struggled in the last two years was in Billings, Montana.  So glad I made the switch from AT&T.  Looks like a great deal!

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2017, 05:37:21 PM »
Sprint has yet again extended this offer, thru the end of October.

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/offers/free-unlimited.html?ECID=vanity:1yearfree

easilyimpressionable95

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2017, 12:58:55 PM »
Thank You so much for posting the updated deadline of October 31, 2017 on this offer... about a year ago, I financed a brand new Iphone 6S PLUS and got the top data plan for just myself because I use my phone as an extension of my hand for my business, and then this year I have had my FI epiphany because of forums like this, 3 months ago, I called in and paid off my iphone, lowered my plan to minimum plan giving 1 gb data a month as well as went to prepaid and my bill dropped from $140 a month to $40 a month and it felt like Christmas but now moving from Verizon to Sprint, I am now free every month for a year! Love this forum! THANK YOU MUSTACHIANS!

-SAMMY AZ

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2017, 02:51:40 PM »
Sprint has yet again extended this offer, thru the end of October.

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/offers/free-unlimited.html?ECID=vanity:1yearfree

Yay! Now hopefully my facepunchy new phone will be here before the end of the month so I can salve the pain.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2017, 11:09:39 AM »
I don't know how I missed this, but the offer is still going.   I'm on RW and wife is on verizon with her family, but a year of free service for both of us would be nice.

So what's the catch? Is sprint hoping to retain enough customers at the end of the 1 year period that it will be a net win for them?  I am planning to take the free year, then switch back to RW and probably switch my wife back to Verizon.  She has a total boner for verizon, but I think we'd be stupid to pay $500 over the next year to have verizon instead of sprint.

Why did this thread not get more love?

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2017, 11:55:29 AM »
We switched 2 months ago from Verizon to take advantage of the free deal (thanks to this thread - another sweet MMM find) and it is a noticeable decline in call quality. Texting seems unaffected. Internet connection can be spotty sometimes. We live in a major metro so I didn't really expect to notice a difference, but I have. Now, does that mean the phones are not usable or are we irritated on a constant basis? Do we regret changing? Not at all. Some temporary and intermittent annoyance is worth the drop in price imo, and we had been with Verizon so long that this was the kick in the pants we needed to finally try another carrier. We too intend on dropping service after the year is up, so like previous posters I also wonder how many people they'll actually retain after the deal ends, but for now I wholeheartedly enjoy my $7.14/mo bill for two lines.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2017, 12:07:33 PM »
We switched 2 months ago from Verizon to take advantage of the free deal (thanks to this thread - another sweet MMM find) and it is a noticeable decline in call quality. Texting seems unaffected. Internet connection can be spotty sometimes. We live in a major metro so I didn't really expect to notice a difference, but I have. Now, does that mean the phones are not usable or are we irritated on a constant basis? Do we regret changing? Not at all. Some temporary and intermittent annoyance is worth the drop in price imo, and we had been with Verizon so long that this was the kick in the pants we needed to finally try another carrier. We too intend on dropping service after the year is up, so like previous posters I also wonder how many people they'll actually retain after the deal ends, but for now I wholeheartedly enjoy my $7.14/mo bill for two lines.

That's what I'm talking about.  I'll take a small drop in quality to save $700 for a year.  Considering I'm on RW I'm not expecting my quality to go down at all, but my wife's (verizon) might.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2017, 01:35:48 PM »
I haven't ported to Sprint for this offer because the fine print says you have to port from a postpaid account. Maybe I could port in from my prepaid account and get the offer, but I'm not going to bother trying for the small (for me) difference.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2017, 01:53:57 PM »
I haven't ported to Sprint for this offer because the fine print says you have to port from a postpaid account. Maybe I could port in from my prepaid account and get the offer, but I'm not going to bother trying for the small (for me) difference.

How do they know whether your previous account was prepaid or post paid? 

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2017, 04:57:09 PM »
I don't know how I missed this, but the offer is still going.   I'm on RW and wife is on verizon with her family, but a year of free service for both of us would be nice.

So what's the catch? Is sprint hoping to retain enough customers at the end of the 1 year period that it will be a net win for them?  I am planning to take the free year, then switch back to RW and probably switch my wife back to Verizon.  She has a total boner for verizon, but I think we'd be stupid to pay $500 over the next year to have verizon instead of sprint.

Yeah. I dunno. Lots of people seem to have a genuine hatred for Sprint. Our experience (as stated several times already) is that the service is only marginally worse than we had with ATT. The cost savings and unlimited data make this offer an incredible deal.  YMMV.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2017, 05:03:42 PM »

Yeah. I dunno. Lots of people seem to have a genuine hatred for Sprint. Our experience (as stated several times already) is that the service is only marginally worse than we had with ATT. The cost savings and unlimited data make this offer an incredible deal.  YMMV.

I dislike Sprint.  I feel like taking advantage of them for a free year is a good way to stick it to them.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2017, 05:20:55 PM »

I dislike Sprint.  I feel like taking advantage of them for a free year is a good way to stick it to them.
LOL. OK, whatever the motivation it's a great deal.

I've been somewhat baffled by the negative responses but, hey. I'm paying $8.32 per month for
more than adequate service. 

You can lead a horse to water...

G. Thomas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2017, 03:26:47 PM »
Last day for this. I'm still not convinced. I live in a metro area and pay $50/mo for Verizon unlimited. Is $1.15 a day worth it for something I use 20+ times a day?

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2017, 03:42:01 PM »
Apparently our devices aren't eligible. Sad.

G. Thomas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2017, 05:36:01 PM »
If it's terrible am I able to get out of it after, say 8 weeks, without recourse?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2017, 08:24:08 PM »
If it's terrible am I able to get out of it after, say 8 weeks, without recourse?

Yes.  No contract.

Life got a little crazy for me shortly after I was in this thread, so I didn't end up pulling the trigger.  Luckily the deal is still going so you can still sign up and get a year of free service.  I have signed myself and my wife up.  I haven't received the SIM cards yet, but should this week.

SwitchActiveDWG

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2018, 06:54:31 AM »
Trying this out for my wife and I. So far very small drop off in service from Verizon. Paid $10.63 for the SIM cards and my first bill was $7.07.

edboc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2018, 05:23:51 PM »
Is there any reason why you wouldn't be able to renew this free offer after a year by switching to Verizon temporarily and then signing up again. That's assuming  Sprint continues to keep offering this promotion?

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2018, 05:10:08 PM »
Is there any reason why you wouldn't be able to renew this free offer after a year by switching to Verizon temporarily and then signing up again. That's assuming  Sprint continues to keep offering this promotion?

I'd be very surprised if the offer were still available that far in the future. Of course I'm surprised it is still available now so who knows?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2018, 04:46:39 PM »

I'd be very surprised if the offer were still available that far in the future. Of course I'm surprised it is still available now so who knows?

And if it was I would be very surprised if they let you do it for a second free year.

change_seeker

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2018, 10:50:35 PM »
In the middle of trying to use this promotion.  When I ordered the SIM cards there was no PIN on the page.  When they arrived today I went to the activatenow link.  After entering the new SIM cards the site told me that my phones were not eligible.  They are an iPhone 5c and 5s which the initial page said were eligible when I entered their IMEI numbers.  The chat service rep was unable to help, and customer care was closed.  Wish me luck when I call in tomorrow!

change_seeker

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2018, 07:13:22 PM »
And we are in!  A quick note, the rep mentioned offhand that the bill would be $30/month for two lines.  Turns out they automatically add device insurance.  No thanks!  We are going to try and maximize the mustachianity of this offer.  The plan includes 10GB of free hotspot data per line, we are going to try to use this as our home internet connection as well.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2018, 08:49:26 PM »
Hmm, they didn't try to cram insurance on us.  I wouldn't have been happy.

I've used the hotspot data a few times with no problems.  Certainly not 10 gigs worth monthly but I have been a heavy user of regular data with no slowdowns or other issues.  The wifi at work is crappy so I usually turn it off on my phone and often forget to turn it back on when I get home.

We are getting more than our money's worth and I'll be sad to see it end in a few months.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 08:52:46 PM by Pizzabrewer »

M5

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2018, 02:27:50 PM »
Wow, can't believe I didn't see this thread sooner! Both DW and my phones were eligible so I pulled the trigger. Should go from $48/mo for combined 2GB data to less than $10 for unlimited for a year. Sweet!

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2018, 08:30:16 PM »
And we are in!  A quick note, the rep mentioned offhand that the bill would be $30/month for two lines.  Turns out they automatically add device insurance.  No thanks!  We are going to try and maximize the mustachianity of this offer.  The plan includes 10GB of free hotspot data per line, we are going to try to use this as our home internet connection as well.

I also have no PIN on the order page.  Why can't anything ever go smoothly...?

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2018, 08:52:41 AM »
We are going to try this too.  Currently in the process of unlocking our phones.....
If all goes well this service may be able to replace our home internet service as well as our cell phone plan.  That would be great!

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2018, 08:19:05 PM »
We are going to try this too.  Currently in the process of unlocking our phones.....
If all goes well this service may be able to replace our home internet service as well as our cell phone plan.  That would be great!

I'm not sure this offer is still good, most of this thread was during mid 2017!