Author Topic: Shaving  (Read 42604 times)

frugalfather

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Shaving
« on: July 26, 2013, 05:49:33 AM »
I am a card carring member of  the dollar shave club.  Cuts my cost for new razors in half plus they send them to me every month. I have the most expensive plan which is $9 a month which includes shipping. The cheapest plan is $1 a month but you have to pay for shipping. Oh... and no more spending money on gas to buy them at a store. The quality of the razors are great. Plus the commercial on the website is funny as hell.  Here is the link      http://shaved.by/ezao
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 05:55:43 AM by frugalfather »

danzabar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Shaving
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 07:42:44 AM »
Have you looked at the cost of buying an electric razor these days? I bought one for 80$ canadian, i'm sure cheaper in the states, and if you the do the math will pay for itself in roughly 8 months...

minimalist

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 10:50:33 AM »
I bought a Panasonic Arc IV electric shaver for $69 over four years ago and only replaced the blades a year ago for $15. I also haven't needed to buy shaving cream for four years.

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 11:40:42 AM »
Dorco razors are cheap: http://www.dorcousa.com/

Got a combo box for ~$35 that will likely last the husband (and me sneaking a use every so often...) at least a couple years at the rate he (we) go through them. The July pack says "one year supply," which might be the average mileage on them.

For electric razor users: are they fairly reliable? Any maintenance you have to do on them?

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 12:01:01 PM »

Got a combo box for ~$35 that will likely last the husband (and me sneaking a use every so often...) at least a couple years at the rate he (we) go through them. The July pack says "one year supply," which might be the average mileage on them.

Wow- these are amazingly cheap.  Is the quality good?

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 12:04:27 PM »
I can't speak for their cartridges or disposables, but Dorco's DE safety razor blades are by far my favorite.

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 12:42:55 PM »

No complaints so far - I'd say they're comparable to Gillette from my own experience.

frugalfather

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 02:44:32 PM »
Have you looked at the cost of buying an electric razor these days? I bought one for 80$ canadian, i'm sure cheaper in the states, and if you the do the math will pay for itself in roughly 8 months...

I used to have an electric years ago, but didn't like it. It never seemed to cut close enough for me. But it did irritate my skin pretty good. hehe

hoopy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 09:38:11 PM »
I read somewhere (on this site I believe) that Dorco is the company that manufactures DollarShaveClub's razors. So if you like DSC, you save by buying them direct from Dorco.

minmax

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 29, aiming to be semi-retired at 40 with kids
    • MinMax UK
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 11:33:42 AM »
21 months ago I switched from razor+cream to electric. I've not looked back.

I don't use the classic electronic replacements, I use what they refer to as a trimmer. Example

It leaves you with slight stubble which is socially acceptable at work!

I'm still on my first trimmer and it cost less than £12. I maintain it well though and make sure the blades are clean.

Can't believe I did not switch sooner.

YMMV: I am fair haired and do not have thick facial growth!

Iron Mike Sharpe

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 11:44:33 AM »
21 months ago I switched from razor+cream to electric. I've not looked back.

I don't use the classic electronic replacements, I use what they refer to as a trimmer. Example

It leaves you with slight stubble which is socially acceptable at work!

I'm still on my first trimmer and it cost less than £12. I maintain it well though and make sure the blades are clean.

Can't believe I did not switch sooner.

YMMV: I am fair haired and do not have thick facial growth!

Yeah, I've been just letting my beard grow for a week, then cut it off with a trimmer.  Occasionally, I will get a real shave the next day with my Gillette Fusion. 

I just don't like spending the time on shaving.  The cost doesn't bother me, but I also use razor blades a lot longer than what I read other people do.

Matt K

• Bristles
    • Krull Photography
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 12:54:37 PM »
DE safety razor. Cost me $40 for the handle (solid billet steel) and costs me $16 for 100 razors. Each razor lasts me 1 month (but I have a beard, I figure about half that if I was shaving my whole face). I change razors roughly twice or three times as often as my old Mach3, but that still gets me a huge cost savings.

Personally, I've never seen the dollar shave club as good math (unless you are the post office).

destron

• Bristles
    • Mustachian Financial Calculators
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 01:17:11 PM »
I currently have a beard, but...

I used a double-edged safety razor for years. Each razor ends up costing about a quarter, I would use it for about a week (I have pretty thick facial hair and needed a good shave for my job). The shaving soap is also very inexpensive. Even though I buy a fancy, Italian brand, it ends up costing me about $1/month. I have had the razor handle and badger-hair brush for about 8 years now.

I do not like electric shavers. They irritate my skin and do not get a very good shave. Plus, it is expensive to replace the blades. I know some people will use the same blades for an incredibly long time but, IMO, I cannot get a good shave using the same blade for that long of a period.  The safety razor is the best option for me because it is very inexpensive and gives me a good shave.

VasyaPupkin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 05:35:11 PM »
There is also Harry's (http://www.harrys.com) a startup from the creators of Warby Parker eyeglass store.
Their razors run $20 for 12 and are a of pretty high quality. Since I change blades about once a month, it's a cheap option compared to the usual suspects

frugteacher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 04:15:20 PM »
I bought one of these. Read about it on The Simple Dollar.

http://www.amazon.com/RazorPit-Razor-Blade-Sharpener-Black/dp/B004W2UMDW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376259258&sr=8-1&keywords=razorpit

Amazing! I reuse disposable razors I bought at Target and I haven't looked back. I can use the same razor for several months. Feels great and saves mega bucks.

Myrmida

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 10:03:32 AM »
To give a woman's perspective, I save tons of money by purchasing a bar of shaving soap, rather than the ridiculously overpriced women's shaving gel.  I could probably use regular soap, but I like things that smell pretty.  Also, since women's body hair is generally sparser and finer than men's facial hair, no shaving brush is needed.

Like frugteacher, I also reuse disposable razors for ages.  I probably buy a pack of 10 or 12 to last me about a year.

Matt K

• Bristles
    • Krull Photography
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 10:24:11 AM »
To give a woman's perspective, I save tons of money by purchasing a bar of shaving soap, rather than the ridiculously overpriced women's shaving gel.  I could probably use regular soap, but I like things that smell pretty. 

Not a woman's perspective, but I've found there is a big difference between shave soap and facial/hand soap. Normal soap is made to rinse cleanly, which means after one pass with a razor it is gone. Double Edge safety razors require two passes, one with the grain, one against, leaving the second pass soap (and thus lubrication) free. Proper shave soap has stuff in it so the second pass is still lubricated (but still rinses cleanly). I learned this when I tried using bits of old hand soap with my brush in place of proper shave soap. It isn't worth it, especially when proper shave soap cost $1.50.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 12:00:24 PM »
I've always used a Braun foil type electric razor. The last one has lasted me well over 5 years.

Now that I have a full beard, I only use the Braun on my neck...take 2mins every other morning. I love not having to waste time shaving my face... I'm lazy like that I guess.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 07:11:54 AM »
Another DE shaver here.  I use a vintage Gillette usually.  cost me $20 and a year's worth of blades is $20-30.  I buy great shaving soap from Mama Bear Soaps for $5 a puck that lasts several months.  Shaving is fun now!

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 07:32:34 AM »
I think the idea that they constantly try to sell these new fangeled 14 bladed razors is kind of silly.

Check out this story.
http://money.msn.com/now/post--hipsters-are-killing-american-razor-sales

Yeah, the penchant for reclaimed and sustainable goods just happens to be a hipster stereotype that's true.

Fine, I'll be a hipster then.

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 07:54:32 AM »
I read somewhere (on this site I believe) that Dorco is the company that manufactures DollarShaveClub's razors. So if you like DSC, you save by buying them direct from Dorco.

Hoopy's memory is good. I.P. Daley first turned me on to Dorco here:

If you want to go the DSC route and their equipment, it's far cheaper buying from Dorco directly:

http://www.dorcousa.com/

...or you could just grow a beard and not have any shaving costs at all.

I'm very happy with the combo pack I purchased from Dorco and my wife likes the pack I bought for her, too. I think I spent about $35 total on the combo packs in March and we have tons of blades left (way more than a year's worth each).

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 08:06:32 AM »
Since I started couponing, we haven't spent more than $1 per razor (with 3-4 blades) or $.25 per shave gel can. Actually, I went a little overboard a few years ago, getting a shoebox full of blades for free or less than $1, and we haven't bought blades in 3 years. You can get great deals in-store, all summer, on razor blades.

Myrmida

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2013, 01:44:08 PM »
To give a woman's perspective, I save tons of money by purchasing a bar of shaving soap, rather than the ridiculously overpriced women's shaving gel.  I could probably use regular soap, but I like things that smell pretty. 

Not a woman's perspective, but I've found there is a big difference between shave soap and facial/hand soap. Normal soap is made to rinse cleanly, which means after one pass with a razor it is gone. Double Edge safety razors require two passes, one with the grain, one against, leaving the second pass soap (and thus lubrication) free. Proper shave soap has stuff in it so the second pass is still lubricated (but still rinses cleanly). I learned this when I tried using bits of old hand soap with my brush in place of proper shave soap. It isn't worth it, especially when proper shave soap cost $1.50.

Thanks for the insight.  I'm glad I'm not wasting my money.

livetogive

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 04:02:13 PM »
I was using the middle of the road Dollar Shave Club system but am punting it for the cheap one.  4 blades on a head is too big to maneuver around my nose and face, leaving huge areas of unshaved idiocy.

If the small ones are good i'm gonna pull the trigger @Dorco - thanks for the tip!

OldAndInTheWay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 07:55:53 AM »
I've had electrics in the past, they don't work well for me. Pricey electrics or cheap electrics, didn't matter, none shaved as close as a blade.
Been using cheapo disposables and shaving cream from the Dollar store. But switched recently to an old school Safety Razor. The razor was $2.50 from Amazon and a pack of 100 double-sided blades was $6, also from Amazon. Coupled with my dollar store shaving cream I figured out I'll be spending around $5-$6 per year on shaving. and the safety razor shaves much closer than disposables or an electric.

DTown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2013, 02:54:30 PM »
I've been using a straight razor exclusively for the past 5 years and never want to use anything else. The initial cost is high. I spent $120 on the razor (a Dovo), $30 on a high-quality strop, $30 on a high-grit hone, and $80 on a lower grit diamond plate. However, unlike the DE which I used to use, I never have to worry about buying blades again. As long as I don't break/lose anything, this setup will likely last the rest of my life. I also like how there aren't any disposable parts. I usually hone it once or twice per year and don't need to do any more maintenance. A DE may still win in ease of use and total lifetime cost, but the straight razor is way more fun!

Besides, my SO thinks I'm a badass for dragging an open blade across my face :P

El Gringo

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 03:33:38 PM »
I've had electrics in the past, they don't work well for me. Pricey electrics or cheap electrics, didn't matter, none shaved as close as a blade.
Been using cheapo disposables and shaving cream from the Dollar store. But switched recently to an old school Safety Razor. The razor was $2.50 from Amazon and a pack of 100 double-sided blades was $6, also from Amazon. Coupled with my dollar store shaving cream I figured out I'll be spending around $5-$6 per year on shaving. and the safety razor shaves much closer than disposables or an electric.

I use disposables and normally just shave after a shower or splash hot water on my face and I don't use shaving cream. If I got one of these, do you need to use shaving cream?

jamface10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 05:28:33 PM »
I've also been wondering how well a DE would work for female legs? My disposables last forever (can you tell we are just coming out of winter :P), so I'm not sure it would be that economical but they just look pretty baddass!

Sneezy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 07:08:36 PM »
I'm on my second Norelco electric (~$50 IIRC) in about 15 years. I use it to shave my whole head (well, except for eyebrows). Eliminates having to pay for haircuts, shampoo, razor blades, shaving cream, bandaids for when I cut myself, and a plumber every 5 years to unclog the drain from all the hair I used to wash down it. :)

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 07:30:26 PM »
+1 for DE or straight. I have both depending on the free time available. The good shaving cream is all I buy now and it shaves up so much nicer than the gel crap.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2013, 08:16:36 PM »
I've also been wondering how well a DE would work for female legs? My disposables last forever (can you tell we are just coming out of winter :P), so I'm not sure it would be that economical but they just look pretty baddass!

They work great on my dude legs, and I assume lady legs would be similar. More control + higher quality blades = I cut myself less than I used to with disposables or cartridge razors. The Lady Gillette has a longer reach than most regular DE razors, but I just use a normal shorter one (Gillette Tech, standard cheapie vintage razor) and it's still been great.

TygerTung

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2013, 09:25:23 PM »
I use conditioner for shaving cream, must better as it softens the hairs, and doesn't irritate like normal shaving soap does. I don't have to use moisturiser or anything after.

rogar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2013, 06:08:08 PM »
I picked up a vintage Gillette DE off ebay for ten dollars.  Then a shaving brush and bowl.  Then a couple of soaps and cremes.  I haven't put a pencil to it, but it will take a while before the savings over the fancy Mach 3 blades surpasses the start up costs for the DE, but in the mean time it is a fun ritual.  I enjoy a good shave and the DE does it better.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2013, 10:39:06 AM »
I picked up a vintage Gillette DE off ebay for ten dollars.  Then a shaving brush and bowl.  Then a couple of soaps and cremes.  I haven't put a pencil to it, but it will take a while before the savings over the fancy Mach 3 blades surpasses the start up costs for the DE, but in the mean time it is a fun ritual.  I enjoy a good shave and the DE does it better.

I figured about 2 years even with fancy soaps.

tfordon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2013, 11:03:06 AM »
I've been using a DE for years, replacing the $.10 blade every month or so.  I've talked it up at work so often that I got a second cheapo handle ($2 on amazon) so I can convert others.  The $2 handle works great by the way.

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2013, 05:01:39 PM »
I've been using a DE for years, replacing the $.10 blade every month or so.  I've talked it up at work so often that I got a second cheapo handle ($2 on amazon) so I can convert others.  The $2 handle works great by the way.

Now that is an awesome deal - I way overpaid for a handle last year.   I bought a 100 count batch of Dorco blades for about $6.   After all the talk (on shaving forums) about DE awesomeness I find it no better than my first kit 40 years ago.  The shave takes twice as long and the results are about on par with a Panasonic electric I own.  I will still use them but not for everyday shaving.

I find the Mach III cartridge superior.   Unfortunately that is costly at $2 minimum per cartridge.  I just bought a years worth of Dorco 6 blade cartridges (34 count total) and a handle at their online store for $31 shipped.  I bought extra cartridges to get the free shipping.   Thank you to the earlier poster who provided a link.

Sparafusile

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2013, 05:07:23 PM »
I've been using a straight razor exclusively for the past 5 years and never want to use anything else. The initial cost is high. I spent $120 on the razor (a Dovo), $30 on a high-quality strop, $30 on a high-grit hone, and $80 on a lower grit diamond plate. However, unlike the DE which I used to use, I never have to worry about buying blades again. As long as I don't break/lose anything, this setup will likely last the rest of my life. I also like how there aren't any disposable parts. I usually hone it once or twice per year and don't need to do any more maintenance. A DE may still win in ease of use and total lifetime cost, but the straight razor is way more fun!

Besides, my SO thinks I'm a badass for dragging an open blade across my face :P

Seconded. I have almost the exact same setup.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/get-rich-with-the-universal-shaving-device/msg7965/#msg7965

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2013, 11:43:17 PM »
Electric is a way to go for sure. I don't know how much exactly my Philips shaver cost because it was a Christmas gift from my father about five years ago, but knowing him probably the most expensive model in the shop. In any case it has worked great and I haven't had to replace any parts yet. It's true that it doesn't shave quite as closely as the most fancy razors, but that's fine with me. I might even look better like that. Have had no problems with skin irritation.

My shaving costs are pretty much zero unless you count the electricity. I shudder every time I notice a package of fancy razors in the story for 50$.

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2013, 02:18:46 PM »
I tried the 6 blade dorcousa.com shaver I just got on their black Friday sale.   The shave was close and smooth.
The sent the code 1013SHAVE8PS for 5% off this Month (December 2013)   I won't need it, having bought plenty of cartridges.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2013, 02:26:33 PM »
I have been using a Panasonic wet-dry rechargeable shaver for 2 years now, and I will never go back to anything else considering the savings in blades and the quality of the shave. I had to replace the foil because I was careless and never used the cover for the head, but now I know how fragile it is so I put it back after each shave. I use the shaver dry, but once in a while I use whatever body cream or conditioner I have left from my thousands of hotel stays when I was a flight attendant. I am actually so cheap that I recharge my razor at my office.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2013, 03:23:07 PM »
I use a dual setup: manual mondays and thursdays to kickstart the week with a close shave, electric every other day for convenience.

The electric one I got for $40 on sale a few months back, and the cartridge blades are left over from... I don't even remember when. One blade lasts me much longer that most people however. Will be trying the fancy DE shaving techniques once I run out of the cheapo cartridges.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2013, 04:18:49 PM »
I use a Remington F2 electric (MSRP $25; I got it for I think $10). I got it maybe a year or two ago, only because my old electric (which I had used for 6 years or so) had a battery that would no longer hold a charge and could not be used while plugged in. This one can be used while plugged in, so I don't expect to replace it for at least 10 years.

Short of not shaving at all, I think y'all will have a hard time beating $1/year. : )

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2013, 05:41:28 PM »
I haven't shaved anything in over a year.

Glorious ladypit hairs, indeed.

I know most posters in this thread wouldn't consider not shaving an option, but why not? I'm proud of my hairy ladylegs in summer skirts and winter trousers.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2013, 10:18:17 PM »
I don't shave anything either.  When recovering from a knee surgery, it was too painful to shave my legs, so I didn't.  And I haven't shave anything since then.  That was more than 10 years ago.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2013, 12:42:02 AM »
I don't shave anything either.  When recovering from a knee surgery, it was too painful to shave my legs, so I didn't.  And I haven't shave anything since then.  That was more than 10 years ago.

*highfive*

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2013, 02:54:15 AM »
After 30 years of having to shave daily while on duty in the military, I am currently going through a Tom Hanks Castaway-like refuzzification of my face. When I get over that I will go back to either clean shaving or a trimmed beard twice a week using an electric razor/trimmer. I tried blades when I was a youngun, but my pimply face at the time made it a bloody affair, so I switched to electric and haven't changed back.

jomic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2014, 10:05:48 AM »
 Another technique that really works and I adopted about a year ago is drying your disposable razors after each use:
 http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-howard/clarks-bargains/clark-reaches-12-month-mark-using-single-disposabl/ncxf/
 Now you don't have to go a year (unless you are trying to prove a point), but the fact is that most of the dulling of the razor is due to rusting/corrosion causing micro-pitting from water and salt(from skin) left on the razor.
  When I first tried this I dried them with a bit of TP after each use and noticed that a blade would comfortably last 3-4 weeks instead of just one. More recently I started dipping my razors in rubbing alcohol after rinsing in water. This works even better, the alcohol rinses the blade and evaporates away any left over water. A bottle of isopropyl alcohol costs a buck and will do this for at least a year. My current razor is going on 2 months with this technique and still shaving really well. The best part is you can choose to use inexpensive or "fancy" disposables per your comfort level and get 5x or more the life out of each.
  On a similar note you can air dry your bar soap for a few weeks before using and it won't dissolve away nearly as quickly in the shower. Try it!

jordanread

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2014, 09:52:18 PM »
I personally have DSC (smallest one) and am still on my first one. I let the orders keep coming even though I'm on my 2nd razor. I use a trimmer. As a software engineer, I don't need to be clean shaven, so the trimmer works for me. I'll have to check out some of the other options raised in this thread though.

Ftao93

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2014, 02:58:17 PM »
8 months ago I ran out of my costco stock of mach5 blades.

I bought a 'starter' safety razor set, 50 razor blades, a nicer brush (the first one fell apart) and some nicer soap for $60.

I should run out of the soap in roughly 4 months, the razors should last me years, since I tend to shave 2x a week.  When the razor gets a bit dull, I use it to shave my arm that is tattooed. 

Keep in mind it really gets rid of ALL your hair if you do it right, so if you look like a boob without fuzz you might want to go the clipper route.

jordanread

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2014, 03:22:49 PM »
[...] if you look like a boob without fuzz [...]
...you should carry a pocket mirror.