Author Topic: Shark or Miele Vacuum  (Read 6104 times)

cobbmic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Shark or Miele Vacuum
« on: July 04, 2017, 09:08:25 AM »
I have recently tried to be more deliberate about a frugal lifestyle (I was never spendthrift before, though). I'm needing to replace my vacuum cleaner. I have a 2,000 sq/ft home, half-carpet, half-hard-floors, with three kids, an indoor/outdoor dog, and an indoor cat. My kids and I all have allergies.

I've narrowed down my choices to:

Miele Compact C2 Electro+ ($599) -- great longevity, power, and HEPA filter with superior particle trapping because of bagging (motors are tested to last 20 years, and my MIL's has lasted almost that long). (https://www.amazon.com/Miele-Compact-C2-Electro-Canister/dp/B06XHQJKKD/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8)

Shark Rotator Powered Liftaway TruePet ($312) -- great reviews...doesn't seem to have the longevity, nor to be as good at trapping allergens, nor to be quite as powerful -- but still a good vacuum (https://www.amazon.com/Rotator-Powered-Lift-Away-TruePet-NV752/dp/B00X7R1FZ2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8)

Any advice? I don't mind spending twice as much if I get twice the lifespan. But is that worth the risk?

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Shark or Miele Vacuum
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 09:46:23 AM »
Go with the Miele since you are fighting allergens.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 09:57:25 AM »
I've got the Shark model above and couldnt be happier. Not sure I agree with the above poster regarding allergens as the Shark model states:

"Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology + a HEPA filter. Traps 99.9% of dust and allergens inside the vacuum"

Shark model is great value, though its largely plastic, but in comparing that aspect to the much more expensive Dyson, its all plastic these days, so cant yet comment on lifespan, but I'm 3 years into the shark and zero problems.

And btw, I too have a 2000+ ft2 home, and a heavy shedding dog, my kids also have allergies. I am AMAZED at how effective the shark picks up all that dog hair.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 10:12:12 AM »
I didn't get the lifespan -- the switch died on our Miele canister after just 3 years. A switch repair would have cost more than the USA made Riccar canister our local vacuum dealer now sells & services instead of the Mieles he used to carry. Too many were malfunctioning exactly the way ours did. We're very pleased with the Riccar -- check it out.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 05:22:36 AM »
I didn't get the lifespan -- the switch died on our Miele canister after just 3 years. A switch repair would have cost more than the USA made Riccar canister our local vacuum dealer now sells & services instead of the Mieles he used to carry. Too many were malfunctioning exactly the way ours did. We're very pleased with the Riccar -- check it out.

Miele has 7 yr warranty, did yours qualify for that to get fixed under warranty?

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 03:20:10 PM »
No

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 10:23:59 PM »
I know you probably already made the decision, but FWIW my wife and I have a Miele vacuum that is 8+ years old and is still working great.

Peony

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 10:51:53 PM »
My Miele is about 12 years old and still works wonderfully.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 11:33:50 AM »
I don't have that specific model, but my Shark does wonderfully. I have the Shark Rocket and it handles my cats' fur and dander really well. My mom as a pet model and says she doesn't really notice a difference between hers and mine.

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 09:45:53 PM »
I would have a look at what you can get spare parts for and which has some good repair instructions online. We got our Dyson in 2004 and I've done a few repairs over the years. I am unskilled, but could still do it. It's still going like new. I would say I've spent 15% of the price of a new one on parts in that time. Thinking about it, the price I've spent on spare parts in the past 13 years is the same as I spent on cheap vacuums in the three years before buying a Dyson.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 09:37:33 AM »
I got a Kirby g4 for 20$.    Bought a part to fix it for 12$ and bought a used hose and implement kit for 40$.     

Been very happy with it.    Obviously this helps you none ..

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!