Author Topic: Shakeology replacement? Health shake mix recommendations  (Read 4168 times)

gillamnstr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Shakeology replacement? Health shake mix recommendations
« on: January 03, 2018, 10:30:31 AM »
So I kinda love the Shakeology shakes for breakfast, but they keep upping their prices - up to $140/bag now (!!!!) Any recipes or easy mixes you love?

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Shakeology replacement? Health shake mix recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 10:42:59 AM »
I use Garden of Life Raw Organic Meal, which is similar to Shakeology, but costs about a third of the price on Amazon. You could also try Vega Protein and Greens powder, which is similar in price to Garden of Life.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 10:46:37 AM »
I love TrueNutrition.com. They sell many types of protein powder. You can order one of their recipes or customize your own mix.

newgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 07:03:52 AM »
If you're in the US (for fastest shipping), check out Ebay for unopened/unexpired bags of Shakeology. I just quit the program myself and sold 2 unopened 30 day supply bags for $85 each. Not sure what your price limit of what you want to pay is, but you can most definitely find it for <$100 a bag and sometimes even closer to $70

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 08:14:07 AM »
What's the goal of consuming these?  Are you:
- enamoured of the flavour?
- looking for something very fast?
- worried about particular nutrients?

You can DIY lots of breakfast stuff that's tasty, quick, filling, and good for you pretty easily without spending a lot of money.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 08:15:22 AM »
I would see how many sample packs you can get at the health food store.... And then decide what elements you want.  A protein powder plus greens powder + part water/part juice could be the cheapest.

But vega products go on sale all the time at good quality

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 08:17:34 AM »
I'm not sure exactly what's in Shakeology or the quantities but you could always roll your own and portion it out in advance into baggies (you'll feel like a drug dealer).  I tried something like this a few years ago with whey protein and coconut milk powder as the base (inspired by the initial 2013 Soylent blog post and subsequent DIY buzz).  The main thing to note is that you won't be able to make a big bag at once, as it'll separate.  Either way though, it comes out way cheaper.  $140 would go very far in crafting such a thing.  I stopped doing it after I finished off all my ingredients because I'm really not a shake person, but it doesn't have to be difficult/expensive.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 07:39:44 PM »
I don't know how much those shakes cost, but I do milk, peanut butter, half a frozen banana, and chocolate whey protein powder.  Delicious and maybe $1.50 if I go heavy on the whey.

solinvicta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 06:57:49 PM »
I've been making kefir (very simple - dump milk on kefir grain / culture, let sit a day at room temp, strain them out), and blending it with some frozen fruit (mangos or raspberries), a little sugar, and some creatinine (which is in shakeology, and can be bought from Amazon cheaply).  Sometimes I'll swap the sugar for a ripe banana, but my understanding for a post-workout drink is that you want some simple sugars for recovery.  I haven't tried adding whey, but that would be a logical addition.

PJC74

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 02:35:40 PM »
check out proteinfactory.com

top quality and each batch is 3rd party tested.

lot of low quality protein out there with fillers, protein spiking, and contaminants.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!