Author Topic: Save on Gas, Groceries & Restaurant- NorthEast Area only  (Read 7805 times)

myemail1045

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Save on Gas, Groceries & Restaurant- NorthEast Area only
« on: November 03, 2018, 02:20:27 PM »
I use "GetUpside" app to save on Gas, Groceries & Restaurants (Cell phone app only). They ask email account to signup. (fake email works too since no activation required). You can use code "FMB9E" if it asks.

Save $0.25/gallon on Gas
Save 15% on Groceries & Restaurants (only DC & surrounding area)

Money you save can be moved to Paypal account or gift card or get a check mailed to your address. No minimums to cash-out.

This app is currently only in Maryland, Virginia, Long Island, North Carolina, South Carolina, Delaware, Florida, and Washington DC areas.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Save on Gas, Groceries & Restaurant- NorthEast Area only
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 09:08:45 AM »
Starting to think this is just a scam app.  Or at least not worth the bother.  I got the app and followed it in the middle of nowhere to get gas.  Only gas station in the one horse town.  Followed the directions to a T.  They denied my claim because the receipt had an address that didn't match exactly their address of record.  But it's the only gas station in miles of where I was sent.  This was a case of the address on record was like 100 main street, but they list it on the receipt at 100 route 12, since main st is rt 12.

At this point, I have to say not to bother with this app unless you like wasting your time getting a paper receipt and taking a picture of it, then getting nothing for your time.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 08:04:43 PM »
So an update.  I went to war with getupside on that middle of nowhere fill up.  Denied, denied, denied until I got a survey from them on how my case was handled and I reamed them a new one.  They then actually looked at my facts.  Someone probably got off their ass and called the gas station and found that I was right.  I got my credit.

Also, the amount you get back is NOT 25 cents a gallon.  It varies all the time.  I have watched and never seen more than 14 cents a gallon off anywhere, any time.  I've also learned that the receipt has to be photographed in very bright light to be readable by their robots.  You also have to get $50 in credit before they'll send you money without taking money off to send you money.

I still use it when I don't have a stop & shop discount or a BP gift card.  I also added a mobil rewards account because pretty much only higher priced mobil stations show up on the app.

My overall rating of this app:  Meh

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 06:25:39 PM »
I get 5% back on all gas purchases using my PenFed Visa card. I just filled up at $2.89/gallon, so I get 14.5 cents back per gallon.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 06:39:50 AM »
You can use your penfed card and get your 5% and then stack the getupside discount which comes later.  Since the ONLY stations that I've seen on the app are Mobil, I joined the mobil rewards program.  I put in my phone number and it adds up credit.  When you want to use it, you hit the "yes" when prompted at the pump.  Just redeemed $5 to see if it worked.  It did.

The app has sent out an offer that if you make at least 5 $10 claims before sometime in December, you'll get 20 cents a gallon.  It is murky as to whether that's one time or for more than one time.  Also noticed that the stations that were typically 11-12 cents a gallon off are now 1 cent a gallon off.  Seems coordinated with the required 5 purchases.

It is better than nothing but I'm not going to a getupside gas station when it's 10 cents a gallon more than the shell right next door just to pull in 1 cent a gallon.

myemail1045

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 01:34:00 PM »
I get 5% back on all gas purchases using my PenFed Visa card. I just filled up at $2.89/gallon, so I get 14.5 cents back per gallon.

Get upside discount is on top of your credit card cashback. I combine both of them.

@Car Jack - luckily in my area (Raleigh,NC) I have plenty of options, almost all Shell & BP stations are on this app. But i agree with you, I wouldn't drive out of my way to get a discount. It defects the purpose. Just based on gas I have saved $47 in a year. It's just pennies but better than nothing.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 01:35:41 PM by myemail1045 »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!