Author Topic: Rock Deodorant to save money  (Read 61872 times)

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Rock Deodorant to save money
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2014, 01:19:06 PM »
It means "almost free of elemental aluminum" and not "free of aluminum-containing compounds"?

Yeah, perhaps...

Anway, labelling aside.  Aluminium is the third most abundant element in the earth's crust!...Although there is no *known* function for Al in the human body, I would still be rather unconcerned about its potential health effects...why?  Because the stuff is everywhere, including the food you eat and the dust you breathe.  I suspect the human body wouldn't be averse to normal, everyday exposure.  Alum, in rock deodorant is not something that I would worry about at all. 

Did you also know that antacids like Mylanta and Maalox have a fair bit of Aluminum Hydroxide in them? 

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2014, 01:35:18 PM »
This is an interesting discussion. Now I'm curious about the rationale behind the "Aluminum Free" sticker on my rock deodorant. That said, I am someone who does care about the safety of what I put in my body and on my skin, so I looked up Rock/Crystal deodorant in the Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database by Environmental Working Group. For those who are not familiar, they keep track of the known safety research on ingredients in cosmetic products.

Although the data is limited, it seems the ingredients in typical rock deodorants get low scores (between 1 and 3 points). These scores are low enough for me to feel comfortable with continued use of my rock deodorant.

Take a look if you are interested:

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/516305/Crystal_Rock_Deodorant%2C_Wide_Stick/
http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/521502/Thai_Deodorant_Stone_Thai_Crystal_Deodorant_Stone%2C_In_Bag/

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2014, 12:50:52 PM »
For what it's worth mine has a sticker that says "No Aluminium Chlorides" which are the ones found in stick deodorants, but still has Potassium Alum listed as an ingredient.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2014, 10:21:54 AM »
I'm intrigued enough after reading this thread that I might buy one.

poxpower

• Bristles
  • Retired at 35
    • thepoxbox.com
« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2014, 02:59:49 AM »
Just shave your armpits. I did that years ago, it takes 10 seconds with an electric razor and you basically never smell again. Shower after workouts of course. I trim them every 2-3 months and basically no one's noticed.

This might not work if you're fat and sweaty as when that was the case for me, no amount of artificial anti-stink compensated for a long day of existance as a blob... But otherwise, yeah... no need for speed stick ever again!

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2014, 08:37:07 AM »
Well, I got curious and bought a stick from Sprouts that comes in a dispenser. Easy to use. Not slippery. Absolutely no perfume, which I love. Around $7 for just over 4oz. I've been using it for 4 days and so far, so good. No sticky weird residue like some other deos. No white stuff on my shirts. And so far no smell under arms! (But it's winter...)

Poxpower, I'm a girl but I have always wondered why guys don't just shave armpits, too, to help with the smell. Is it "unmanly" or something? Well, I notice that any length of hair makes the smell worse. And obviously, I still feel the need to use deodorant even with shaving, but it's so much better.

Wanderer

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2014, 08:38:44 AM »
Quite right.  The deodorant industry often has things like AL chlorohydrate, AL chloride, AL hydroxybromide or AL zirconium.

From a chemical perspective, there is little or no free alumimum in crystal rock deodorants, nor are the above present.  What they do contain most frequently is potassium aluminum sulphate.  This is a large molecular structure (much larger than the industry-used chemicals above).  This molecule is sufficiently large that it is not thought to be absorbed by the human body...rather remains on the surface and inhibits microbial growth.

So, while labelling says "aluminum free", strictly speaking it may be (depends on what the definition of aluminum is for the purposes of labelling)...or they may be mislabelling...

So you sweat, which puts H2O and NaCl on your skin.  You don't think there's going to be any ion exchange happening to make aluminum chlorohydrates?  Not that it really matters, because these also don't make it far in the skin either.  I think fears about aluminum exposure due to antiperspirants are overblown.  The train of thought basically goes "antiperspirants have aluminum->armpits are close to breasts->some studies find elevated aluminum levels in breast cancer->aluminum may be toxic->ergo, antiperspirants cause breast cancer".  Right now studies say, eh, we don't know. 

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2014, 08:57:15 AM »
Quite right.  The deodorant industry often has things like AL chlorohydrate, AL chloride, AL hydroxybromide or AL zirconium.

From a chemical perspective, there is little or no free alumimum in crystal rock deodorants, nor are the above present.  What they do contain most frequently is potassium aluminum sulphate.  This is a large molecular structure (much larger than the industry-used chemicals above).  This molecule is sufficiently large that it is not thought to be absorbed by the human body...rather remains on the surface and inhibits microbial growth.

So, while labelling says "aluminum free", strictly speaking it may be (depends on what the definition of aluminum is for the purposes of labelling)...or they may be mislabelling...

So you sweat, which puts H2O and NaCl on your skin.  You don't think there's going to be any ion exchange happening to make aluminum chlorohydrates?   Not that it really matters, because these also don't make it far in the skin either.  I think fears about aluminum exposure due to antiperspirants are overblown.  The train of thought basically goes "antiperspirants have aluminum->armpits are close to breasts->some studies find elevated aluminum levels in breast cancer->aluminum may be toxic->ergo, antiperspirants cause breast cancer".  Right now studies say, eh, we don't know.

Not unless you are a hydrochloric acid secreting alien! 

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2014, 08:59:21 AM »
This is an interesting discussion. Now I'm curious about the rationale behind the "Aluminum Free" sticker on my rock deodorant. That said, I am someone who does care about the safety of what I put in my body and on my skin, so I looked up Rock/Crystal deodorant in the Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database by Environmental Working Group. For those who are not familiar, they keep track of the known safety research on ingredients in cosmetic products.

Although the data is limited, it seems the ingredients in typical rock deodorants get low scores (between 1 and 3 points). These scores are low enough for me to feel comfortable with continued use of my rock deodorant.

See, with my "modified French approach," I don't even have to worry about that at all. By "French" I mean I don't use deodorant or antiperspirant. And by "modified French" I mean I actually wash my armpits on a daily basis.

poxpower

• Bristles
  • Retired at 35
    • thepoxbox.com
« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2014, 09:40:12 AM »
Poxpower, I'm a girl but I have always wondered why guys don't just shave armpits, too, to help with the smell. Is it "unmanly" or something? Well, I notice that any length of hair makes the smell worse. And obviously, I still feel the need to use deodorant even with shaving, but it's so much better.

Yes they probably think it's not manly. Since I do bike races, I "had" (sure...sure) to shave my legs so I thought "might as well try this" after I saw it on a bodybuilding site. I definitely notice the smell increasing as the hair gets longer.
When it's gone though, I can work out, wipe myself with towels ( including pits ), put on a clean shirt and go about my day without anyone noticing, even without taking a shower.
Btw not that it saves any money but shaving legs = you'll be made fun of for a week then no one cares, not even any of the girls I'd date.

Wanderer

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2014, 01:42:23 PM »

So you sweat, which puts H2O and NaCl on your skin.  You don't think there's going to be any ion exchange happening to make aluminum chlorohydrates?   Not that it really matters, because these also don't make it far in the skin either.  I think fears about aluminum exposure due to antiperspirants are overblown.  The train of thought basically goes "antiperspirants have aluminum->armpits are close to breasts->some studies find elevated aluminum levels in breast cancer->aluminum may be toxic->ergo, antiperspirants cause breast cancer".  Right now studies say, eh, we don't know.

Not unless you are a hydrochloric acid secreting alien!

How's that?  Aluminum is Al3+ in both ionic compounds, and both will dissolve in water and dissociate to form various Al3+ species.  Because they share this property, both are useful as flocculating agents for water treatment.  I think you've have a lot of the sulfate complex still because it was there in highest concentration, but I think you'd end up with many other aluminum complexes as well. 

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2014, 11:38:11 PM »
Bought my very first rock deoderant online a few days ago. Can't wait for it to arrive in the mail so I can test it out and post about the results!

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2014, 06:18:18 AM »
How's that?  Aluminum is Al3+ in both ionic compounds, and both will dissolve in water and dissociate to form various Al3+ species.  Because they share this property, both are useful as flocculating agents for water treatment.  I think you've have a lot of the sulfate complex still because it was there in highest concentration, but I think you'd end up with many other aluminum complexes as well.

Aluminum chlorohydrate is man made.  The most common way is by reacting aluminum with HCL. 

For Instance:
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CEIQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dedietrich.com%2Findex.php%3Fcmpref%3D67438%26lang%3Den%26module%3Dmedia%26action%3DDisplay&ei=rHLeUp6DKZKzsASN3ICgCg&usg=AFQjCNEi4rO7t4wgrojzf6AESfLggifZlQ&sig2=InQhaJg5-Yj2uBG5erfdZQ

Aluminum chloroydrate is not spontaneously made under the arm: ever. 

Wanderer

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2014, 04:04:01 PM »
^.-  I wasn't suggesting it was.  It's a common ingredient in antiperspirants.  People apply it to their armpits, that's how it gets there. 

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2014, 08:20:21 AM »
Me and my lady friend have been using ours for a week or so. Seems to be effective and now there's one less P&G product in our lives!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2014, 12:09:50 PM »
A lot of women in my old Facebook mommy group have used slices of lemon as deodorant. It seems like that would actually be expensive, but if you happen to have half a lemon lying around and you weren't sure what to do with it...

I second the "modified French approach." I only put on deodorant if I'm going to the gym. Otherwise, daily washing (not necessarily a whole daily shower) seems to be adequate.

AllChoptUp

• Stubble
« Reply #116 on: January 27, 2014, 01:16:14 PM »
Very effective for me has been a mix of baby powder (talc free, natch) mixed with baking soda.  I just lever off the baby power lid and dump an equal amount of baking soda in.  Lasts a long time.  If you don't like dealing with powder fall out on your floor (or clothes) I've also used baking soda mixed with coconut oil. Melt the oil and dump in enough baking soda so the final product feels slightly gritty. 

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2014, 07:29:55 PM »

Yes they probably think it's not manly. Since I do bike races, I "had" (sure...sure) to shave my legs so I thought "might as well try this" after I saw it on a bodybuilding site. I definitely notice the smell increasing as the hair gets longer.
When it's gone though, I can work out, wipe myself with towels ( including pits ), put on a clean shirt and go about my day without anyone noticing, even without taking a shower.
Btw not that it saves any money but shaving legs = you'll be made fun of for a week then no one cares, not even any of the girls I'd date.

I've shaved since I was a teen, but I still use alcohol gel ("hand" sanitizer) to kill stink producing bacteria.  Makes it more effective, to be sure, but doesn't eliminate the need completely. 

I really don't get how having furry underarms makes someone more manly.
Never had anyone comment on it.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2014, 12:00:31 PM »
Update
Have now used the rock deodorant WITHOUT FAIL for the last 6 months.  This includes biking to work, gym workouts etc.  It even holds out over 48 hours.  I highly recommend its use.  Also, on my (2) wind up rock sticks I've maybe lost 6-8 mm on each one - estimate the two will last years.  Cost was around $5 each.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2014, 12:09:04 PM »
Update
Have now used the rock deodorant WITHOUT FAIL for the last 6 months.  This includes biking to work, gym workouts etc.  It even holds out over 48 hours.  I highly recommend its use.  Also, on my (2) wind up rock sticks I've maybe lost 6-8 mm on each one - estimate the two will last years.  Cost was around $5 each.

Yeah, I've used it for about two years straight.  I need to buy a new one though, it's gotten pretty small, in large part due to dropping/breakage.  I don't have numbers on regular deoderant cost and length of time it lasts to compare, but I'm happy with the rock deoderant.

The wife uses it as well, except in summer.  She sweats more than I, though, and even though it stops it from smelling, she doesn't like the sticky feeling.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

HAULIN3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Plant Strong!
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2014, 03:19:49 PM »
go VEGAN! None needed!!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2014, 03:23:35 PM »
Do vegans still poop?

HAULIN3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Plant Strong!
« Reply #122 on: April 30, 2014, 01:34:53 PM »
Do vegans still poop?

OH YA!!!  It's much enjoyable too! lol!!

Read "my beef with meat"  It will make you switch!  I've been vegan for a year and a half! Love it!!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2014, 05:53:53 PM »
Read "my beef with meat" 

I'd rather meet with beef.  Sounds delicious!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #124 on: May 01, 2014, 07:42:34 AM »
I've used crystals, but find that homemade coconut oil/baking soda 'cream' works more effectively. I reserve the crystal deoderant usually for travelling

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2014, 05:02:40 AM »
I ordered one of these, I've wanted one for a while but it's an add-on item for Amazon and I wasn't going to buy something just for it.

I figure if I'm going to be biking to work at all it'd be nice to have a good deodorant if I don't end up showering there.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: May 06, 2014, 10:43:13 AM »
I ordered one of these, I've wanted one for a while but it's an add-on item for Amazon and I wasn't going to buy something just for it.

I figure if I'm going to be biking to work at all it'd be nice to have a good deodorant if I don't end up showering there.

Sounds great!

I found what works well for me when biking to work is stripping down for a few minutes and letting myself air out and cool off. Biking to work gets me warmed up, and if I just get right to work I end up getting wet pits and feeling like my clothes are nasty. So I time my ride to get to work 5 minutes early, use our locker room (or a bathroom would work), and strip down while I read some emails on my phone or just play a game, whatever. After a bit my sweating slows down and I have cooled/dried off enough to get dressed without feeling so nasty. I wear scrubs at work, but it doesn't matter what you wear, just that you don't get them wet to start the day with. I still sweat slightly for a while, I bike hard to work, but this gets me past the worst of it.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2014, 05:01:04 AM »
It'll be interesting that's for sure - my morning ride will be about 26 miles ;)

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2014, 11:07:55 PM »
I've found a little trick when using these if you don't shower every day, it works best on wet skin and for the first 7 years I have always put the tip under the faucet and used it that way, but it didn't always feel like it worked out that great.  Just recently I have figured out that if I instead get my hand wet and dampen my armpits a little then I just rub the dry stick on my now wet armpits, works great.

HattyT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2014, 10:42:21 AM »
I’ve used rubbing alcohol for years.  A bottle will last me 6 months or more.  I put it into a small squirt bottle. ($1 from the drugstore travel size section, for one about the size of a roll of quarters, )
I do two or three squirts per side.  Usually lasts me all day.  I wash and re-apply when necessary.
I’ve been using it for years.  The alcohol keeps the odor microbes from setting up shop.
Gotta admit, Bakari, hand sanitizer is easier to apply.  Hand sanitizer is my second choice if I catch myself without my spritzer.  I like not having to worry about the aluminum and who knows what else they put into the standard stuff.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #130 on: May 14, 2014, 11:12:15 AM »
I don't want to get this too off track because I'm interested in this rock deodorant thing.
However-

go VEGAN! None needed!!

What?

dadu007

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #131 on: May 14, 2014, 12:36:30 PM »
I used these deodorant "rocks" back in the late 80s and early 90s. I worked at a natural foods co-op (single young man at the time), and adopted their use when the scare-of-the-month was aluminum in regular deodorants/antiperspirants.  Nothing new about them.  They save you from spending money on typical deodorants/antiperspirants, but that's about it.  If you're under any heavy physical stress, they will not stop the stink.  Ask the woman I ended up marrying.  I had to stop using the deodorant rocks for reasons of olfactory civility. ;-)

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: May 14, 2014, 01:02:21 PM »
I used these deodorant "rocks" back in the late 80s and early 90s. I worked at a natural foods co-op (single young man at the time), and adopted their use when the scare-of-the-month was aluminum in regular deodorants/antiperspirants.  Nothing new about them.  They save you from spending money on typical deodorants/antiperspirants, but that's about it.  If you're under any heavy physical stress, they will not stop the stink.  Ask the woman I ended up marrying.  I had to stop using the deodorant rocks for reasons of olfactory civility. ;-)

Make a deal with you...  I won't generalize that it will work for everyone, if you won't generalize that it won't work for everyone... :D

I bike to work, I mow the lawn, I go jogging, I go mountain biking, I work around the house, and I don't smell. My wife is a HSP, I would hear about it really quick if I did.

Never said it would work for everyone, but many people use it with great results. To each their own.

PS I agree about the "scare of the month" club, I try to ignore them also... :)

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #133 on: May 14, 2014, 03:07:19 PM »
I've used crystals, but find that homemade coconut oil/baking soda 'cream' works more effectively. I reserve the crystal deoderant usually for travelling

I agree.  I gave the rock deodorant a try a few months ago.  It was winter (dry) here, and I don't sweat a ton.  I feel like I really gave it a good try, but after a while I noticed body odor.  I switched to a coconut oil/baking soda/corn starch/essential oil blend (tea tree, peppermint, wintergreen).  I make it really dry so I just take a pinch and rub it on after my shower.  I will still sweat a bit, but no body odor.  If you smell the pits of my shirt I wore all day, you'd just smell coconut oil.  For me, it is the right option.

dadu007

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #134 on: May 14, 2014, 06:23:00 PM »
I hear ya, James.  It's a deal.   

bikebum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #135 on: May 14, 2014, 06:31:05 PM »
I just mix baking soda with a little water and smear on the pits. It doesn't get rid of too much of my scent, which my lady likes ;)

katalyn13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #136 on: June 05, 2014, 12:00:44 AM »
I switched to natural stuff because I'm not a super-heavy sweater under normal day-to-day circumstances, and started with Toms of Maine deodorant, but found that it quickly irritated my armpits (after less than a year of use). I'd never had problems with fragrances before but heard similar complaints from other places online.

Now I use this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001ZZH0M/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_1 It works great--I've used it for long bike rides/runs, intense workouts, etc. and although you do sweat, no stink! Also no irritation at all, and I like that you can spray it anywhere (which I guess you could do with the rock as well, but a bit harder to reach your back). Basically its rock in spray form, so I will definitely be getting the rock once this runs out after hearing how well it works.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #137 on: June 05, 2014, 12:18:47 AM »
Well mine is getting pretty sad - dropped and fractured multiple times, and worn down from use.

Going to order another one.  Amazon informs me that "You purchased this item on May 9, 2012." - so just over two years of use for $10 or so.

Don't remember how much regular deodorant costs or how long it lasts, so I'm not sure if I've saved any money, but I prefer the rock deodorant over normal anyways, so even if costs were the same, I'd be buying it.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #138 on: June 05, 2014, 11:32:18 AM »
Going to order another one.  Amazon informs me that "You purchased this item on May 9, 2012." - so just over two years of use for $10 or so.
Great meeting you and your wife at Camp Mustache this year!  Didn't notice a stench at all.

It's always great to see that reminder and realize it's been a long time.  I'm still using the deodorant I bought the first time I moved to Taiwan in 2006.  I needed a two year supply so I bought two 1 year sticks; 8 years later and I've just barely opened the second stick.  I haven't even looked into where to source them from anymore, but at this rate I may be FI before needing to buy another.

bicoastalblues

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #139 on: June 25, 2014, 12:50:33 PM »
I feel like it's so great to discover this community that uses things that I use and doesn't look at me like I grew a third head when I say I rub a rock on my armpits. I found out about this from my hippie friend in England and I'm still using the same stick that I bought over 6 years ago and it's barely rubbed away at all. They're starting to become more popular, I've seen it at Whole foods as well. I have a smaller travel rock as well but I've noticed that over time I don't really need to use deodorant anymore and I live in humidity city (DC) and bike to and from work every day. It's only a 2 mi bike ride and I'm not a heavy sweater anyways but I've pretty much stopped using the stick unless I know I'm going to be out in the sun all day. Tom's has a version that is dissolved and lavender scented with a roller ball applicator which I like for using when I'm not just out of the shower. I have seen spray versions as well but haven't tried those out.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2014, 10:46:59 AM »
Haven't read the whole thread, but put me down on the why use deodorant or bath soap group?

I rarely use deodorant.  My wife rarely notices unless I'm in sweaty clothes.   One trick is to shave the arm pits.  (males too)  this keeps bacteria from breading.   

I quit using bath soap in January.  No soap, no shampoo.   Wife never noticed.  Skin is better than ever.  Pimples on back cleared up.  My face acne (at age 54) worsened so I now soap the face only. 

I frequently go 2 days without showers now as well.  Better in winter. 

I know sounds crazy to a generation raised on "soap operas"  and TV ads --- but it absolutely works.  Skin nicer,  hair nicer.   Try it!

MyNameIsNotJim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #141 on: July 15, 2015, 06:40:00 AM »
I have used the rock crystal deodorant for a while.

I was curious how much it did for me, until I realized a ridiculously simple test: Put it on one armpit and not the other. I tried this, and the armpit with the rock gets smelly far slower than the one without.

After reading up on the ingredients in the rock, though, I'm probably going to stop using it also pretty soon. I might try shaving one of my armpits for comparison next.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2015, 07:17:48 AM »
This thread is a fun trip down memory lane! I'm still using my deodorant rock 3 years later and still like it just fine. It's nice that when you make a change in your life it keeps saving you money in perpetuity and after you adjust to the change it's just a new normal. I'm still using a handful of cool tips I picked up here in the forum's early days (rock deodorant, baking soda for shampoo, home haircuts, showering less, no soap) and it's just life as normal now, but it's saved me a couple hundred dollars in the meantime. Pretty neat!

I have used the rock crystal deodorant for a while.

I was curious how much it did for me, until I realized a ridiculously simple test: Put it on one armpit and not the other. I tried this, and the armpit with the rock gets smelly far slower than the one without.

After reading up on the ingredients in the rock, though, I'm probably going to stop using it also pretty soon. I might try shaving one of my armpits for comparison next.
Hey, welcome to the forums! Shaving definitely helps, though I find it's not enough on its own if I'm going to be outside much in the summer (or inside much in the winter). Another option you may think about is homemade deodorant (as contrasted with the rock antiperspirant), which smalllife mentioned a recipe for on page 1:
I looked into rock deodorant about a year ago but ended up making my own deodorant with coconut oil, baking soda, cornstarch, and a few essential oils.  It took a few tries but I have customized it for my own bodies needs and I can make it smell however I want.  I use a bit of tea tree oil for extra anti bacterial strength and a bit of lavender to even out the tea tree.  I infuse the coconut oil with chamomile to be extra soothing on my skin and have decreased the amount of baking soda.  There was a two week period where my body detoxed from commercial anti-perspirants but after that my sweaty levels really went down to lower than they were before.

The only issue I have is that the shoulder with metal in it smells different (worse) than the shoulder without, but I can hardly blame the deodorant for that.
It won't help you sweat less, which is really the point for me. But it could help you smell better.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:20:26 AM by grantmeaname »

Restless Consumer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #143 on: July 15, 2015, 12:59:12 PM »
Stone deodorant worked for me very briefly. I really liked the idea of it but when it stopped working I didn't really have a choice but to go back to regular stick deodorant. My wife still uses it though.

Here is a link to the post she made about it:
http://www.offthecheapend.com/personal-care/natural-crystal-deodorantstone-deodorant/

frances

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #144 on: July 17, 2015, 09:45:12 AM »
The alcohol certainly makes sense, anything that was antibacterial enough to kill what's there should work about the same.  Since just about everybody has alcohol at home in some form, it might work to try alcohol for a while to see if just killing the bacteria and avoiding the smell is enough, or whether you really require the antiperspirant as well.  I think long term the rock has advantages, but it might have a bigger up front cost and is a uni-tasker...

Putting Everclear in a spray bottle and spritzing your pits with it works really well. I read somewhere that you should use Everclear instead of rubbing alcohol because it's not good for you to absorb rubbing alcohol regularly for reasons I cannot remember, but it makes sense to me intuitively since Everclear is safe to ingest and rubbing alcohol is not.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2015, 10:55:59 AM »
Another option you may think about is homemade deodorant (as contrasted with the rock antiperspirant)

I don't think the rock is an antiperspirant, it kills the bacteria that causes smell causing it to be a deodorant. I sweat a lot more using the rock, but it doesn't smell. If I am going to be in a hot place and don't want to sweat I pull out my old antiperspirant stick.

kaizen soze

• Stubble
« Reply #146 on: July 19, 2015, 01:39:06 PM »
Serious question, has anyone tried just going without deodorant?  I usually don't bother to shower or wear deodorant during the weekends, and I find I have to stick my nose into my pit to smell anything.  Definitely not anything someone would notice unless they too were sticking their noses in my pits. At which point they would get what they deserve.

Phenix

• Bristles
« Reply #147 on: July 19, 2015, 07:29:35 PM »
Serious question, has anyone tried just going without deodorant?  I usually don't bother to shower or wear deodorant during the weekends, and I find I have to stick my nose into my pit to smell anything.  Definitely not anything someone would notice unless they too were sticking their noses in my pits. At which point they would get what they deserve.

During the summer I wear it because it's hot enough to make me sweat just walking to the car.  In cooler weather I don't bother putting on any deodorant unless I'm going to be doing something that involves heavy sweating.  So unless I go to the gym or go play some pick-up games of basketball, I don't find the need for deodorant.  On the weekends, I'm much like you though.  Very rarely do I put on my deodorant and the only way I smell anything is if I bury my nose in my pit.

Really considering ordering myself some rock deodorant after seeing so many fans in this thread.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: July 19, 2015, 07:43:27 PM »

I think it is a very individual question. There are two smells to consider. One is the smell from our body and our sweat, which is usually pretty mild. The other is from bacteria which proliferates in our wet areas, and makes the typical "BO" smell. For those without a lot of sweat, who don't have strong normal body odor, I bet they could get by just fine without any deodorant. For me I find my pits don't smell much after one day, but the bigger issue is that without the rock killing the bacteria, my shirts start to smell. I like to wear my shirts a few days before washing (my button down shirts I wear over a t-shirt and wear many days), but without the rock killing the bacteria the shirts start to smell before they are dirty and need washing. So by using the rock my pits don't smell and my shirts don't smell. If I wore a new shirt every day I could probably get by without anything, since I work in a cool place. But I would need to take a shower after working outside or getting sweaty at all, otherwise I would probably smell before bedtime, especially in the summer.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #149 on: September 03, 2015, 10:08:53 AM »
I got my rock deodorant about a month ago and it works great.
DW says my smell has completely changed.
thanks for this tip!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!