Author Topic: Rock Deodorant to save money  (Read 61875 times)

marz1982

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Rock Deodorant to save money
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2013, 11:17:52 PM »
+1 for the rock deodorant, thanks for the tip!!

I never even knew this existed, and maybe if I did see it I automatically ignored it as being part of the "homeopathy woo group".  I stand corrected!

Since the Amazon linked items either didn't ship to New Zealand, or they charged $50 for shipping ( o.0 ), I ordered some rock deodorant locally from HealthPost.  They shipped it pretty quickly and very happy with the product.  I'm hoping it lasts a long time - the blurb on the product says "Lasts one year!" but at that rate I"ll only break even on what I'd use normally in a year, since it was $18 for 100g.

http://www.healthpost.co.nz/natural-beauty-and-personal-care/natural-body-care/natural-deodorant/BCS/Deodorant-Stick.html

As for the rock crystal itself, it worked like a charm for me.  My biggest problem was that some of my cotton shirts would start smelling as the bacteria gets into the cotton, with this I've found that it has gone down to barely noticeable.   

ShavenLlama

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2013, 11:10:26 AM »
So this morning as I was deoderizing, I started thinking about how my stick still looks like it's got a good year left on it, even though I've been using it for so long. Why was I thinking about deoderant? Who knows. Weird shit goes through my head all day. Anyhow, I think my husband has bought 2-3 sticks of regular deoderant in this same time frame, so yeah, I'm saving money with my rock! Yay!

Then I turned around to dry it off on a towel, and it flew out of my hands and SHATTERED on the tile floor.

So for the record, 1 $4 rock of salt lasted me 9 months. Not bad, and better luck next time.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2013, 04:53:10 PM »
Ah bummer.  Yeah, I've had mine maybe nine months and it looks barely used.  I'd expect to get 3-4 years, maybe more.

Really appreciate the recommendation, I'm still loving it, and my wife keeps talking about getting one.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

deltaecho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2013, 09:12:27 AM »
thanks for the tip, I can't wait to get one when my current one runs out.  oddly enough I found that my stinky armpits almost disappeared when I stopped eating sugar and processed foods, and only washed vigorously w/ water.  I still use a deodorant only on work days just in case.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2013, 01:59:33 PM »
So this morning as I was deoderizing, I started thinking about how my stick still looks like it's got a good year left on it, even though I've been using it for so long. Why was I thinking about deoderant? Who knows. Weird shit goes through my head all day. Anyhow, I think my husband has bought 2-3 sticks of regular deoderant in this same time frame, so yeah, I'm saving money with my rock! Yay!

Then I turned around to dry it off on a towel, and it flew out of my hands and SHATTERED on the tile floor.

So for the record, 1 $4 rock of salt lasted me 9 months. Not bad, and better luck next time.

My wife and I have both dropped ours from time to time and lost chips and chunks out of them.  But they smooth back out over time and continue to work well.  Haven't had one shatter completely yet, but I can see it happening.  I've got two years on mine and from the wear I expect to get about 5 years from it, it was a pretty big rock to begin with.  We'll see if I shatter it before then...  :)

peterpatch

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2013, 05:33:34 PM »
I have been using mine now for about a month or two and it works great. I still sweat but no BO and the stick should last me a year or two at this rate.

ozzage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2013, 04:22:46 PM »
Just wanted to say "thanks" for this thread.

I'd never heard of these before, but 3 weeks ago I ordered one and it's great! Much better than my previous deodorants, in terms of how I smell at the end of the work day, and will save me money (although I need a few months before I'll break even)

A great find!

eil

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2013, 10:35:23 AM »
I have to say, when I started reading this article, I thought, "oh great, here's someone hawking a magic rock that you rub on your armpits to keep other people from thinking poorly of you".

But then I did a little googling and found that there's some truth to this "magic rock": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_alum

So I stand self-corrected. I'm probably not going to rush out and grab one myself, though. Sweat has no odor, it's only after you've done some sweating and then let the bacteria fester for awhile that stuff starts to smell. So my solution to that is to simply take a shower after I've had a good sweat.

On the rare occasion that I do wear deodorant, I have to use to spray-on kind because I found out when I was a teen that I am allergic to the stick and roll-on types for some reason. Not just a little allergic, but scratching-my-armpits-until-they-bleed allergic.

-JR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2013, 11:33:21 PM »
Long ago I considered using the alum stone, especially after joining a safety shaving forum. A forum dedicated to shaving-maybe weird, yes, but these guys were my first exposure to mustachian thinking by convincing me to ditch my Stupid Shaving Syndrome and go safety.

However, I think I'm going to go the "make my own deoderant" route after reading this:

http://chemicaloftheday.squarespace.com/most-controversial/2010/3/8/exposing-more-truths-about-alum.html

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here, but it irritates me no end when I see the words the words "natural" and "healthy" haphazardly used as evidence of "goodness" and placed on a label. They really mean very little and are used too often to give people the warm and fuzzies. I feel a bit mislead after reading about the various claims pretty thoroughly deconstructed there.

For now my family has an endless supply of Arm and Hammer aluminum and paraben free sticks purchased a couple years ago on special for a buck a piece. Till then I have time to create my own recipe, or borrow one you fine folks'. :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 11:38:15 PM by -JR »

OldAndInTheWay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2013, 11:56:02 AM »
I bought a different one 3 years ago for les than $5 and its less than half gone. love it, and as far as i know i am never stinky.
I also quite using shampoo completely 3 years ago., after a 2 week adjustment period my hair was the shiniest and softest its been in years. I just rinse it out in warm water when i shower.
For the record i am a male with short to medium length hair, depending on the time of the year. I also run an average of 10 miles a day and have no issues not using shampoo or "real" deodorant

impaire

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2013, 11:55:05 AM »
For people making their own deodorant and having trouble with liquefaction issues: you can add beeswax to increase temperature stability (as seen here: http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2013/06/homemade_natural_deodorant_travel-friendly.php)

Yes, I am linking a food blog for deodorant-making reference!

As far as I can tell, we have not yet reached scientific consensus on risks associated with Al-based antiperspirants. I'm personally avoiding them for now.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2013, 01:14:06 PM »
I don't want to even think how much I've spent on deodorant rather than buying one of these over the past decade or so.

rogersbilly

« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2013, 03:27:27 PM »
I ordered the product and tried it out and my girlfriend did a sniff test and was emphatic that it did not work.   I was really hoping it would.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2013, 06:20:01 PM »
I ordered the product and tried it out and my girlfriend did a sniff test and was emphatic that it did not work.   I was really hoping it would.

Was it a blind test (i.e. you put it on, she had no idea, and just thought you were smelly and brought it up), or was she biased (i.e. you put it on and then asked her to smell you)?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

rogersbilly

« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2013, 07:30:41 PM »
I wore it for a day and asked her to check

urover

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2013, 11:48:38 AM »
If one of the purposes of going the "rock" way is to reduce aluminum exposure then I'm afraid that won't help because Alum is a compound with aluminum being part of it.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2013, 02:12:44 PM »
It's not that simple, vsanjay. I think the argument is that the entire chemical containing the aluminum in rock deodorant is less toxic as a whole to the human body than its alternatives in commercial antiperspirants.

I'm thoroughly unconvinced that either is harmful, but it's not like they must be equally harmful if they both contain aluminum.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2013, 03:17:03 PM »
I just stopped using deodorant all together. I still have a stick and use if for an event, but day to day I just don't need it. Either that or people are being too polite to tell me I stink.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2013, 03:35:06 PM »
That's how I am with soap, too. I switched to baking soda for shampoo, and I don't even use that every day.

Ewww...

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2013, 03:44:13 PM »
That's how I am with soap, too. I switched to baking soda for shampoo, and I don't even use that every day.

Ewww...

I'm with you on the shampoo... most are horrible petroleum based products. I actually use my old Suave shampoo for degreaser..you'd be surprised how well it cleans sludge off my hands. I use some Hemp oil based shampoo. Not sure if its legitimate or not.

I only shower every 3-4 days anyway. I've gone European. Or caveman, not sure which.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2013, 04:02:03 PM »
Are they really that different? =P

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2013, 05:37:36 PM »
I wore it for a day and asked her to check

One day isn't enough. The rock works by killing the bacteria causing the odor. If you only used it one day, that wasn't enough to kill the bacteria and you probably smelled later in the day. Try using it daily before your regular deodorant for a week, then start skipping days with your regular deodorant, and I bet in a couple weeks you can stop using your deodorant and your gf won't even notice.

Having said that, I don't think it's so important that everyone switch, just want to be sure people understand how it works before giving it up as not working.

Samsam

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2013, 08:02:13 AM »
A month or so ago I came across this thread about the same time I ran out of my last stick of deodorant.  Went to an Earthfare and bought the rock deodorant.  It took about a week before it started working but now it is great.  I then found a mostly used up stick of my old deodorant and tried that again, I could constantly smell myself!  I feel like now that I've gone rock deodorant I can't go back!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2013, 06:11:17 PM »

Ewww...

I'm with you on the shampoo... most are horrible petroleum based products. I actually use my old Suave shampoo for degreaser..you'd be surprised how well it cleans sludge off my hands. I use some Hemp oil based shampoo. Not sure if its legitimate or not.

I only shower every 3-4 days anyway. I've gone European. Or caveman, not sure which.

I'm similar.

And I have to say, a few years ago I never would have thought I'd associate with smelly hippies, or be one myself.  Apparently what we believe has no effect on the future...

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2013, 06:19:03 PM »
Man plans (to shower), God laughs.

Zalo

« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2013, 08:41:57 PM »
I recently started a thread concerning my own deodorant woes, it included a review of these two homemade deodorants:

-----------------------------------

Coconut Oil Deodorant

1. 5 Table Spoons Coconut Oil
2. 1/4 cup Baking Soda
3. 1/4 cup Cornstarch

Shea Butter Deodorant

1. 3 Table Spoons Shea Butter
2. 3 Table Spoons Baking Soda
3. 3 Table Spoons Arrowroot Powder
4. few drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil
5. few drops Rosemary Essential Oil

---------------------------------------------------

Although both recipes work, the coconut oil based one stains clothing white and gets runny in temperatures above 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

As for the Shea Butter based one, I just started using it today; so far it works very well as a deodorant, and has a higher melting point than coconut oil. It still gets runny in late summer Miami, but it at least doesn't seem to stain my clothing. Maybe if the recipe is changed to include less Shea Butter and more arrowroot powder, It'd provide better results.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:44:26 PM by Zalo »

DTown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2013, 03:03:23 PM »
I also successfully started using alum about a year ago. More recently I dropped my rock and it shattered into a million pieces. I gathered up the pieces, put them in a small plastic travel shampoo bottle and filled it with water. Now I just use the alum-water as deodorant and fill it up with more water when it gets low. There are still crystals in it, so I know the water solution is saturated. It works great, and is actually more convenient than getting the rock wet anytime I want to use it.

Next time I need more alum, I'm just going to get the kind that looks like table salt and dissolve it in the bottle with water. It's a good bit cheaper per once than buying the rocks.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2013, 09:24:03 PM »
Anyone elses's rock starting to smell?  Still works well, but my wife is complaining that the rock smells "like an armpit."  She wants me to buy a new one for her.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2013, 09:35:32 PM »
Mine's fine 18 months in (including use by 2 people for 6 months or so of that), but it is noticeably smaller and cracking down the middle (besides corners that have broken off).

I'm anticipating replacement around the 2 year mark.

If the wife wants a new one, doesn't seem to be an extravagant purchase or something worth thinking twice about. Sure.

Empire Business

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2013, 09:49:32 PM »
I have a somewhat related question.

If you wear a lot of dark shirts, do the armpits of your shirts get kind of weirdly bleached out?  I don't know if it is my sweat doing it or the antiperspirant (which I sometimes sweat through).

Anyone know if the rock or any of the other remedies mentioned in the thread help mitigate that?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2013, 10:01:05 PM »

If you wear a lot of dark shirts, do the armpits of your shirts get kind of weirdly bleached out?  I don't know if it is my sweat doing it or the antiperspirant (which I sometimes sweat through).

Anyone know if the rock or any of the other remedies mentioned in the thread help mitigate that?

I believe that happens to my wife on occasion with her deodorant, and I think the rock helps, but I don't have an apples to apples shirt comparison so I can't say for sure.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2013, 01:40:48 PM »

That did happen to some of my shirts and hasn't happened since I started using the rock.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2013, 01:41:56 PM »
Anyone elses's rock starting to smell?  Still works well, but my wife is complaining that the rock smells "like an armpit."  She wants me to buy a new one for her.

You leave it in water for a while, letting the outer layer melt off. Might get rid of the smell.

Bullseye

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2013, 05:43:42 AM »
I bought a rock a year or so ago, marveled at how great it worked.  Then I started to wonder....is it really the rock, or am I just not a stinky guy?  I started using nothing in summer, and that also works great!  lol  I haven't used anything under my arms for 6 months.  I'm very active, too, like Iron Man training athletic, and I get my wife to get a deep sniff on me (what a wife, eh!), and I'm good. 

So...try nothing before buying a rock!

Squidrow Wilson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2013, 01:53:40 PM »
Was really skeptical of this at first but I'll give it a shot since soooo many people have raved about it. While it wouldn't really save that much it seems pretty neat.

[rant]Although I kind of cringe when people tout it being natural compared to the other chemical deodorants. Its a chemical. They're all chemicals.[/rant]

mariejm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2014, 04:59:24 PM »
Just a note - the rock crystal needs to be applied to clean skin only. You must wash your underarm before you apply the deodorant for it to work!

I write this because I too experienced a smell with my rock, I did some research online about application and how to successfully use this tool. When I realized that you are supposed to apply the crystal deodorant to clean skin, I saw consistent results. I had been reapplying at the end of the workday *without* washing the underarm area first.

I tossed my "smelly" rock that was bothering me and have not had a problem since. Thai crystal makes a liquid spray-on product that is very convenient.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2014, 03:49:21 PM »
I've been using the crystal stick on and off, most of the time I don't even bother with deodorant.  It's been about 8 years and nigh a complaint.  Now that I am biking to work I may start using the stick again.

What I like the most about using the crystal stick is the same reason why I used to go with unscented deodorants, I can add my cologne without having to worry about how that smell mixes with my deodorants smell.  My wife is Taiwanese and, as another poster mentioned, while I lived in Taiwan they simply don't use deodorant, and you couldn't buy it if you wanted it.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2014, 04:52:12 PM »
I have been using and still use the rock deodorant daily for several years, and before that, I used to spend a fortune on conventional deodorant and anti-antiperspirants. With the rock stick, even after working out, or using the same shirt for several days, or even after biking to work, I had no noticeable body odour and my clothes smelled as fresh as when they came out of the washing machine even if I had sweated in them, but I must admit that until recently, I was doubtful about its magical properties and thought it was mostly BS. Because of my skeptic nature, I thought that this was mostly due to my physiology. Some people stink, other smell good, and I thought I was one of the latter group. However, on my last 3-week trip away from home, I forgot to pack my stick. After a few days without my stick, my body odour became so pungent that I could not stand to be around myself and started to stay at a distance from people, shaking my head in disgusted disbelief over the stench coming off me. I am a real cheapo and it broke my heart to fork $6 at the local pharmacy to buy another stick, but I had no choice: I stank. The stuff works, believe me, and I am not kidding!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2014, 06:15:30 PM »
I originally dismissed this as hippy bullshit... but now I'm ready to give it a go. I probably spend $20 a year on traditional deoderant so this would save me money and packaging/waste. 2014 - the year rock deoderant becomes mainstream?

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2014, 06:18:11 PM »
This is what we used in the Philippines when I was younger. You can still purchase it but there's a lot more commercial deodorants in the market. Are you guy using the actual rock or the powdered form?

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2014, 06:56:35 PM »
This is what we used in the Philippines when I was younger. You can still purchase it but there's a lot more commercial deodorants in the market. Are you guy using the actual rock or the powdered form?

LOL I also thought for years that it was one of my wife's new age hippy bullshit thing...

I use the rock, I threw away the plastic thingy but I think it is called Crystal, and it is simply a mineral salt stick. It will last several years of daily use, unless it slips off your hands and the whole thing shatters in thousands pieces on your bathroom floor.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2014, 01:20:53 PM »
I used my first one until I moved to the states, so around 6 years, but my wife threw it away when moving.  Now I'm on my second stick for the last two years, but honestly I don't even use it every day and only since I read this post have I started putting it on every couple days if I remember.  I'm biking to work now so I think it may be good to get back into using it, but I haven't noticed any stinkyness and my co workers haven't mentioned anything.

Davin

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2014, 10:35:38 AM »
I have always worried about the chemicals I'm rubbing into my armpits every days by using traditional deoderant.

The aluminum in many of the normal deodorants is considered bad for you by quite a few sources.  I've been trying to figure something else out for awhile now.  I'll have to try this rock

What makes you think there is no Aluminum in this rock?

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2014, 10:40:19 AM »

What makes you think there is no Aluminum in this rock?

My rock deodorant has a big sticker that says "Aluminum Free" right on the package.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2014, 11:40:29 AM »
What is it then?

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2014, 11:42:55 AM »
What is it then?

Rock deodorants are simply alum, which always contains aluminum, whether is is potassium alum, ammonium alum or whatever alum, unless I am completely mistaken. But I think it is not in a form that can be absorbed by the body.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2014, 11:47:41 AM »
I know. That's why I'm wondering what's in an aluminum-free rock deodorant.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2014, 11:50:45 AM »
Alum.  It's like aluminum.  But shorter.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2014, 11:56:25 AM »
What is it then?

Rock deodorants are simply alum, which always contains aluminum, whether is is potassium alum, ammonium alum or whatever alum, unless I am completely mistaken. But I think it is not in a form that can be absorbed by the body.

Quite right.  The deodorant industry often has things like AL chlorohydrate, AL chloride, AL hydroxybromide or AL zirconium.

From a chemical perspective, there is little or no free alumimum in crystal rock deodorants, nor are the above present.  What they do contain most frequently is potassium aluminum sulphate.  This is a large molecular structure (much larger than the industry-used chemicals above).  This molecule is sufficiently large that it is not thought to be absorbed by the human body...rather remains on the surface and inhibits microbial growth.

So, while labelling says "aluminum free", strictly speaking it may be (depends on what the definition of aluminum is for the purposes of labelling)...or they may be mislabelling...

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2014, 12:55:28 PM »
It means "almost free of elemental aluminum" and not "free of aluminum-containing compounds"?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!