Author Topic: Recommendation for a Game Console/Games for Family/Kids  (Read 1838 times)

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
Recommendation for a Game Console/Games for Family/Kids
« on: November 20, 2022, 03:23:03 PM »
We've decided to take the plunge and get a dedicated video game console for our kids this Christmas. Mostly for our oldest boys age 7 - 14 (our daughter is not really interested). A couple of our kids bought Raspberry Pi Linux computers with their own money and had access to some free games ranging from a version of Minecraft to some simple arcade style games. They've handled that pretty well with us only allowing it on weekends after homework and chores are finished for an hour or so at a time. We also let them use an old laptop to take turns playing a copy of Minecraft that they went in together to buy.

The last videogame console I owned was a Super Nintendo so I'm fairly ignorant about the current offerings. I'm looking for the last generation I can pick up used and get a few family friendly games the kids can play together. This is not going to be used for Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, etc. Just something kept in the living room that they can use on the weekends for a few hours.

It looks like the main options are PS4 and Xbox One. I see both listed for sale on Facebook Marketplace for $200-250 or so depending on accessories (with some priced suspiciously low at sub $100). One game I know they would like is Minecraft Dungeons as they've played it at a friend's house and it's available for both those consoles.

So any input on which one to go one with? Or some other family games that multiple kids could play together? Any issues I need to be aware of with an old console such as known issues where something stops working after a few years?

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Recommendation for a Game Console/Games for Family/Kids
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 03:27:12 PM »
No tendon switch is the best option for a living room/family console.

lifeandlimb

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 05:51:28 PM »
I second the Nintendo Switch suggestion. It's a very easy-to-use, relatively small, all-ages friendly console that is still well-loved and up-to-date. It offers a lot of games that are appropriate for the 7-15 age range.

Second choice would be PS4 or PS5. Unfortunately the consoles are huge and take up space, but they play well and work well. I do feel like with their Wi-fi capability, you open yourself up to a realm of parental control problems, but maybe there are settings for that I'm not aware of.

I owned the Xbox One and XBox 360 for a while, and unfortunately I can't recommend. Found the user interface to be very clunky and would run into crashes and freezes here and there. The controllers also felt like they were designed for people with huge hands, another downside for kids.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 06:13:55 PM »
Third for Switch. If you're not looking for Call of Duty etc. with great graphics and all of that jazz, Switch is your console. It's cheaper and has family friendly but adult enjoyable games (if you like video games as an adult).

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 09:08:35 PM »
While the Switch is a great option, you could even go one generation back with the Wii U. While a 10 year-old console in the days of the Super Nintendo would be laughable (Atari2600 was a decade before SNES), improvements are much more incremental these days. My family has been having a blast playing Wii and Wii U games. My kids are 4 and 7, so we've mainly been sticking with 4-player simultaneous games like New Super Mario Bros, New Super Mario Bros U, Mario Kart, Wii Sports, and Kirby's Return to Dreamland.

Brystheguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 09:53:15 PM »
Agree with Nintendo Switch. The bonus is they can take it and play it in the car on a long trip.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2022, 07:32:56 AM »
Another call-in for the switch.

-Tons of games, plenty geared toward single player and multi player/party
-Knockoff controllers are cheap
-It can support up to 8 individual joycons for games which accept that level of functionality
-Portable, and supports headphones
-Relatively inexpensive compared to other new consoles
-The Switch successor will arrive next year, so there will be plenty of cheap secondhand games eventually

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2022, 07:57:11 AM »
Switch, again. We enjoy Just Dance, Ring Adventure and a number of cheap story games. The replacement wii sports is meh, but might be more fun for families than a middle aged couple.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2022, 07:26:53 AM »
I know the Wii is hopelessly out of date but my daughter and I used to have a lot of fun with it. I think my favorite was throwing the frisbee to the dog.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2022, 05:48:21 PM »
Yet another vote for the Nintendo Switch here.

For me it's not even about it being more family friendly, although that is a plus. It's about having more entertaining games. Hyper realistic shooter games get boring after a while and I have no idea how someone can stand playing a ps4 shooter game for hours, let alone days or weeks..or months.

Nintendo games are just more fun to play, imo.