Author Topic: recommendation: find a local biking group  (Read 1777 times)

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
recommendation: find a local biking group
« on: July 24, 2017, 07:35:41 AM »
I bought a hybrid bike in 2007.  I wanted to do a triathlon and figured I'd need to be decent at riding a bike.  I was awful at it.  Inefficient at changing gears, frequently dismounting on hills, wobbly when signaling...  just bad!

In 2013 I thought I would try to commute to work by bike.  10 miles one way, and very hilly.  I sucked at it.  I started by parking  2 miles from the office and biking the rest of the way in an attempt to ease into it.  I ended up dismounting and walking up hills.  Never made the full distance. I think 5 miles was my max and I still couldn't conquer the hills.  I changed jobs, and stopped trying.

Fast forward to now, I was convinced by a friend to sign up for a sprint tri.  (My first, I never did one before.  It's next month!)  At the same time, another friend started a cycling advocacy organization in our community.  In addition to working to get trails and bike lanes in our community, they did group rides for different levels a couple times a week.  Being around people that are encouraging and already know how to do this has been a total game changer.  After not being on the bike for 4 years, in early May I went out on my first group ride, and with a little coaching (and maybe a little peer pressure!), I made it the whole 14+ mile trip without having to dismount on any hills.  And just yesterday I rode nearly 70 miles from Philly to Atlantic City.  (Not on my hybrid, the ride required drop handlebars so I borrowed a road bike from a friend!) I'm in awe of the biking community!!!

I just wanted to say if you've tried and tried on your own without much success, try again with some support.  Everyone I've met has been so nice and encouraging.  I'm doing things I never thought I'd be able to do!

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
Re: recommendation: find a local biking group
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 07:42:43 AM »
What a transformation! Great on you. I used t ride with a club on Saturday and Sunday mornings, and had not my friends been waiting for me I likely would not have ridden those days. Also, when I travel I enjoy looking up local clubs and see what they have to offer. I loved riding with the Syracuse Club, as they rode mountain bikes on Saturdays, road bikes on Sunday, and a great after work ride on Wednesdays.

JimmyFry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: recommendation: find a local biking group
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 11:09:14 AM »
After not being on the bike for 4 years, in early May I went out on my first group ride, and with a little coaching (and maybe a little peer pressure!), I made it the whole 14+ mile trip without having to dismount on any hills.  And just yesterday I rode nearly 70 miles from Philly to Atlantic City.

Congratulations!

Riding with groups really is amazing.  A regular group ride always creates a community around it, and you will find plenty of people more than happy to help you become a better, stronger, and safer cyclist.  They usually have multiple levels/speed/routes for newer riders, and even experienced riders can try the faster groups to push themselves.   The only drawback?  You may find yourself lusting after some bikes and upgrades that aren't exactly "mustachian" ;)

Keep it up Cat!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 08:30:59 AM by JimmyFry »