Author Topic: Project Fi (Google Wireless Service)  (Read 14977 times)

Dexterous

• Stubble
Project Fi (Google Wireless Service)
« on: April 22, 2015, 01:03:42 PM »
Google began their wireless service named Project Fi a few minutes ago. 

What are your thoughts on the new service, especially compared to other low-cost options such as Republic Wireless?

I think it's a great deal for my use, due to it's international capabilities and my minimal usage of data.   Hopefully the service expands to other lower cost phones in the near future.  A link to the project is here:  https://fi.google.com/about/

*Edit*  There is another posting on the forum about this service -- I missed it due to it being in general discussion prior to the service's release.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 11:53:27 AM by Dexterous »

KittyFooFoo

• Stubble
Re: Project Fi (Google Wireless Service)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 01:14:34 PM »
Currently, it requires a Nexus 6: https://fi.google.com/signup

plantingourpennies

• Bristles
  • None.
    • Money, Kittens, Happiness
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 01:17:37 PM »
At its core Google is a company that makes money from my personal information-why the hell would i do any more business with them than absolutely necessary?

SaintM

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 01:20:20 PM »
How is this better than any other MVNO wireless plan?  It uses Sprint and T-Mobile, and costs $20 + $10 per gigabyte of data.  Not great networks for not great prices.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 01:29:05 PM »
Nothing actually special about the pricing, no support, and datamining... gosh, it's just like Republic. No doubt, this service will be an equal hit with all the mathmatically challenged technohedonists here willing to compromise quality for perceived value.... again just like Republic.

There's better out there for less.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 01:29:20 PM »
How is this better than any other MVNO wireless plan?  It uses Sprint and T-Mobile, and costs $20 + $10 per gigabyte of data.  Not great networks for not great prices.

The main advantage is that is uses Tmobile, sprint, and wifi...all more or less simultaneously.  As said by google it will automatically select whichever signal is strongest between the 3.

Rage

• Stubble
  • Eat the Horses
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 02:42:48 PM »
Whenever I tell people that they don't need to pay $100+ per month for a cell phone, and try tell them about Republic Wireless (which is apparently controversial with some in these forums?), they're like, "WTF is that?  Doesn't sound legit.  No thanks."  I've had a conversation like that with at least 10 people.  People have heard of Google though.

It's obviously not targeted at Joe Mustache, it's targeted at Joe Consumer. 

SaintM

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 03:11:46 PM »

The main advantage is that is uses Tmobile, sprint, and wifi...all more or less simultaneously.  As said by google it will automatically select whichever signal is strongest between the 3.

Switching from cellular to wifi is nothing new.  I guess a phone that can switch between T-Mobile and Sprint is new, but given that their networks are well behind AT&T and Verizon, who really cares?  The prices are not revolutionary for an MVNO...minimum $30/mo plus the cost of a Nexus 6 device ($650) plus data overage.

Dexterous

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 04:55:52 PM »
Due to the number of people who like to travel on this forum, I'm surprised at the amount of hate.  What other phone plan allows you to travel internationally with data, text, low cost voice calls when abroad, and wi-fi calling for $30?

To my knowledge... T-Mobile is closest to having that capability, but at a higher price.  $50mo for the plan + $10mo for international service + $.20 per minute when abroad.

*edit* I had the international voice calls rate for google's service wrong for when you're abroad
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 05:24:08 PM by Dexterous »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 05:05:04 PM »
Due to the number of people who like to travel on this forum, I'm surprised at the amount of hate.  What other phone plan allows you to travel internationally with data, text, under 5 cents per minute calls when roaming, and wi-fi calling for $30?

To my knowledge... T-Mobile is closest to having that capability, but at a higher price.  $50mo for the plan + $10mo for international service + $.20 per minute when abroad.

I love my T-Mobile plan.  Sure, I pay a lot more than the $5 Republic people ($60/mo+tax)...but having a girlfriend in Canada (and being on call while working remotely outside the US) makes international coverage immensely valuable to me.  I have international text and data included, and calls while roaming outside the US at $0.20/minute. I can also place free calls to Canada through Google Voice - I am curious to see if I will be able to use my Google Voice number from Canada over wifi without incurring cellular charges, but I'll find that out soon.

T-Mobile has decent LTE coverage in major cities, but service in between major cities has been pretty bad. Having the ability to run off Sprint networks (in my experience, Sprint has great voice coverage and poor data coverage) would be very helpful for in-USA travel.

Dexterous

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 05:33:57 PM »
Due to the number of people who like to travel on this forum, I'm surprised at the amount of hate.  What other phone plan allows you to travel internationally with data, text, under 5 cents per minute calls when roaming, and wi-fi calling for $30?

I love my T-Mobile plan.  Sure, I pay a lot more than the $5 Republic people ($60/mo+tax)...but having a girlfriend in Canada (and being on call while working remotely outside the US) makes international coverage immensely valuable to me.  I have international text and data included, and calls while roaming outside the US at $0.20/minute. I can also place free calls to Canada through Google Voice - I am curious to see if I will be able to use my Google Voice number from Canada over wifi without incurring cellular charges, but I'll find that out soon.

T-Mobile has decent LTE coverage in major cities, but service in between major cities has been pretty bad. Having the ability to run off Sprint networks (in my experience, Sprint has great voice coverage and poor data coverage) would be very helpful for in-USA travel.

Project Fi will gain you 1 more provider for better service and cost you:
$20 for the line
$10 for 1GB data ($1 refund for each 100mb you don't use -- and same for overages)
Free calls from the USA to Canada
20 cents per minute for voice calls made while you're located in Canada (these rates are the same as T-Mobile)
Free wi-fi calls from Canada to USA

The only downside it seems is the cost of that Nexus 6.  :P

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 05:41:33 PM »

Again, if you actually know what's out there and are clever enough to understand that VoIP isn't some magical nut that's impossible to crack (it's pretty danged simple), it's pretty unremarkable and not that great a deal. Speaking the truth is not hatred. Please don't confuse the two, as most people who tend to drink marketing Koolaid tend to mistake it as.

In the case of Google's Fi service specifically, the only international cellular roaming they're providing is in Canada and Mexico, same territories that T-Mobile Prepaid has at the same roaming rates (which are still higher than picking up a prepaid native SIM card), the rest globally is WiFi. I'm not saying FI doesn't have some value and won't find a niche, and I can pretty well guarantee that execution is going to absolutely shame Republic Wireless because Google's actually working with established mobile networking standards instead of some cockamamie proprietary solution full of bugs, but it's still overkill for most people. There are cheaper and better solutions, even for travelers.

Dexterous

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 06:08:21 PM »
My wife calls to Romania often (family).  I reviewed our usage for the last year and she never uses more than 250 minutes per month (all to landline).  I use <100mb of data and she uses <400mb of data.  Here is our cost comparison with that in mind using T-Mobile and Project Fi pricing:

T-Mobile:
$50  Wife's Line - Unlimited domestic talk, text, 1GB of 4G data
$10  Wife's Line - International Services (Unlimited to landlines, $0.20/min to mobile)
$25  My line - No international services added to mine... that would be $10 more

Total $85

Project Fi:
$20  Wife's Line - Unlimited domestic talk, text, $.02/min to most countries landlines, $.05/min to most countries mobile lines
$10  Wife's Line - 1GB of 4G data (refunded if not used, overages cost equal amount)
$20  My line
$10  My line - 1GB of 4G data
Sooo $60 + $5 for calls to Romania - $6 for wife's data refund - $9 for my data refund

Total $50

Butttttt the nexus 6 is $650 via project fi.  :( 
Who wants to share their knowledge on a cheaper alternative, ie those VOIP methods which I'm guessing require some sort of data only plan?  You can PM me if you think the method is too "questionable" for the forum.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 06:23:31 PM »
Who wants to share their knowledge on a cheaper alternative, ie those VOIP methods which I'm guessing require some sort of data only plan?

I already have been for over three years, and it's even stickied. (Unabridged here.)

I'll tell you right now that I know you can already do better than $50/month without Google Fi, and get better mobile coverage to boot... but I'll let you fall down that particular rabbit hole yourself. :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 06:27:06 PM by I.P. Daley »

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 08:04:37 PM »
I've been burned when Google lost interest in a side-hustle before (anyone remember Google Reader?). Since then, I've paid a fair bit ensure I'm not dependent on Google's corporate whims. Therefore, this is not the service for me.

schoopsthecat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 11:48:57 PM »

In the case of Google's Fi service specifically, the only international cellular roaming they're providing is in Canada and Mexico, same territories that T-Mobile Prepaid has at the same roaming rates (which are still higher than picking up a prepaid native SIM card), the rest globally is WiFi. I'm not saying FI doesn't have some value and won't find a niche, and I can pretty well guarantee that execution is going to absolutely shame Republic Wireless because Google's actually working with established mobile networking standards instead of some cockamamie proprietary solution full of bugs, but it's still overkill for most people. There are cheaper and better solutions, even for travelers.

I don't think this is correct about the international roaming.  I travel to Europe and South Africa regularly, and what I'm seeing shows that it will provide roaming in both, but only 3G in most countries other than Canada and Mexico.  With a data connection, I'm sure there will be lots of ways to make free voip calls if someone wants to avoid paying 20 cents a minute when abroad.  Generally, this seems like a great deal for people who travel a frequently.  I also love that you get reimbursed for data that you don't use...you literally just pay for the data you use.  That's fantastic.  Eventually, this will surely be available with cheaper phones....hopefully sooner than later.  By next fall when the next round of phones comes out, the Nexus 6 will be easy to buy used fairly cheaply anyway.

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 12:33:05 AM »
I'm using this (in the beta). It's pretty good. I wouldn't buy a Nexus 6 to use it. The ROI isn't there.

But if you already have a Nexus 6 for whatever reason, and are willing to tune your data usage -- which, if you're on this forum, you should be -- then it is pretty competitive. I basically pay $22/mo.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 07:49:12 AM »
Due to the number of people who like to travel on this forum, I'm surprised at the amount of hate.  What other phone plan allows you to travel internationally with data, text, low cost voice calls when abroad, and wi-fi calling for $30?

*edit* I had the international voice calls rate for google's service wrong for when you're abroad

*shrug. We travel some, but are rarely on the phone when we do so I don't really care. I mean most of my calls/texts are to my wife, and when we travel she's usually there with me.. We might send the odd "we're still alive" text to family when we go somewhere, but that's hardly worth changing carriers for.

We might check yelp for restaurants, or look for things to do, but we do that on hotel wifi. But honestly I'm finding that obsessing over list of the "bestest, uniquest, must-do!" things usually makes travel worse, not better.

Are anyone on the phone that much when traveling?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 11:36:10 AM »

Project Fi will gain you 1 more provider for better service and cost you:
$20 for the line
$10 for 1GB data ($1 refund for each 100mb you don't use -- and same for overages)
Free calls from the USA to Canada
20 cents per minute for voice calls made while you're located in Canada (these rates are the same as T-Mobile)
Free wi-fi calls from Canada to USA

The only downside it seems is the cost of that Nexus 6.  :P
I may already have a Nexus 6 because I'm a technology spendypants. :(  With free wifi calls from Canada, I might have to switch to this - I'll be working from Canada for four months this summer and will have very minimal non-wifi use while there.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 11:50:45 AM »
With free wifi calls from Canada, I might have to switch to this - I'll be working from Canada for four months this summer and will have very minimal non-wifi use while there.

How is this particular "feature" magically any different than the already free without any additional mobile service plan Google Voice/Hangouts?

Some of the things I've seen people make such a big fuss about with this service to justify spending $650 plus $30+ a month on a fargin' phone are things that Google's already integrated into Android and have been giving away for years at this point.

For a community of supposedly rational anti-consumerists, it boggles my mind how easily so many of you let your thought processes get short circuited by marketing and tech buzzwords.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 11:56:38 AM »
I don't think this is correct about the international roaming.  I travel to Europe and South Africa regularly, and what I'm seeing shows that it will provide roaming in both, but only 3G in most countries other than Canada and Mexico.  With a data connection, I'm sure there will be lots of ways to make free voip calls if someone wants to avoid paying 20 cents a minute when abroad.  Generally, this seems like a great deal for people who travel a frequently.

You might be right on the international mobile data front, but it still changes very little over what's already available. Their international rates aren't that great, and there's other solutions that fit into the same cost ballpark, even without necessarily swapping SIM cards, thus freeing you for potentially even cheaper domestic service plans.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 12:12:03 PM »
With free wifi calls from Canada, I might have to switch to this - I'll be working from Canada for four months this summer and will have very minimal non-wifi use while there.

How is this particular "feature" magically any different than the already free without any additional mobile service plan Google Voice/Hangouts?

Some of the things I've seen people make such a big fuss about with this service to justify spending $650 plus $30+ a month on a fargin' phone are things that Google's already integrated into Android and have been giving away for years at this point.

For a community of supposedly rational anti-consumerists, it boggles my mind how easily so many of you let your thought processes get short circuited by marketing and tech buzzwords.
I actually just looked it up a few minutes ago - I wasn't aware that Google Voice currently provided service to Canadian users.

What other international coverage cell phone plan(s) will provide me with a US number for $20/mo? My employer needs me to retain a US number and I have to be reachable when I am not connected to a wireless network.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 12:30:51 PM by JLee »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 02:43:22 PM »
I actually just looked it up a few minutes ago - I wasn't aware that Google Voice currently provided service to Canadian users.

What other international coverage cell phone plan(s) will provide me with a US number for $20/mo? My employer needs me to retain a US number and I have to be reachable when I am not connected to a wireless network.

The thing to understand about Google Fi is that it's nothing more than Google Voice/Hangouts paired with a mobile service Google tailored to it. Registering for a Google Voice phone number has to be done in the United States from a US IP address and with a US-based phone number, and they only provide and port US numbers themselves, but just as you can call and receive calls from both the US and Canada for free from within the United States over WiFi using Hangouts once that number is set up, you can do the same thing for free from within Canada as well.

I know that reads a little complex, but I'll KISS it down for you. Just sign up for a Google Voice number while you're still here, install Hangouts, give your boss that number to reach you while in Canada, keep Hangouts running, and turn off call forwarding to the phone number you used to sign up with while up north. Done, and it only cost you the privacy you're already willing to sign away.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 03:57:49 PM »

The thing to understand about Google Fi is that it's nothing more than Google Voice/Hangouts paired with a mobile service Google tailored to it. Registering for a Google Voice phone number has to be done in the United States from a US IP address and with a US-based phone number, and they only provide and port US numbers themselves, but just as you can call and receive calls from both the US and Canada for free from within the United States over WiFi using Hangouts once that number is set up, you can do the same thing for free from within Canada as well.

I know that reads a little complex, but I'll KISS it down for you. Just sign up for a Google Voice number while you're still here, install Hangouts, give your boss that number to reach you while in Canada, keep Hangouts running, and turn off call forwarding to the phone number you used to sign up with while up north. Done, and it only cost you the privacy you're already willing to sign away.
I already have a Google voice number. It looks like the trick will be finding a carrier that has adequate data coverage in Canada to allow me to receive calls over the data connection.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 04:10:24 PM »
I already have a Google voice number. It looks like the trick will be finding a carrier that has adequate data coverage in Canada to allow me to receive calls over the data connection.

Why?

If you're already going to be tethered to WiFi most of the time, you're already set. For the times without WiFi access, well... that's what voicemail is for.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2015, 04:47:29 PM »

Why?

If you're already going to be tethered to WiFi most of the time, you're already set. For the times without WiFi access, well... that's what voicemail is for.

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of not taking calls if I'm on call. I'm on a very small emergency/escalation team for my employer so if we get a call, it's a major problem (like a bank is offline). I also talked my way into a nearly-unprecedented amount of time working from a remote location, so I need to make sure I am very available to avoid getting yanked back into the office! :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:01:47 PM by JLee »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2015, 05:58:56 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of not taking calls if I'm on call. I'm on a very small emergency/escalation team for my employer so if we get a call, it's a major problem (like a bank is offline). I also talked my way into a nearly-unprecedented amount of time working from a remote location, so I need to make sure I am very available to avoid getting yanked back into the office! :)

Eh, easy enough to fix despite the inability to directly forward GV calls to a Canadian number. There's a couple options, unfortunately mobile service is straight up expensive in Canada, and I wouldn't recommend relying on VoIP over mobile data for what you're after anyway, as you need reliability. There's a few PAYGO options at around 25¢/minute, but the trick will be getting a US number to ring it. You could grab a free CallCentric DID and just forward it to any Canadian number you want when the SIP client is disconnected for 1.98¢/minute and use the native Android SIP client while on WiFi instead of Hangouts. Even at those rates, $20 would give you 74 mobile talk minutes and unlimited incoming minutes on WiFi. Google Fi would still be $20/month + data + 20¢ minute for mobile calls + tax.

Edit: Hang on a bit, maybe PM me some details about your situation. I may have a cunning plan for Canadian roaming that's even cheaper than what you're currently paying with T-Mobile.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 06:23:03 PM by I.P. Daley »

Dexterous

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2015, 09:05:35 PM »
I.P. Daley, I reviewed your thorough guide but I still do not see a better alternative for my needs travelling.  For example, in the last 30 days I've utilized voice/data in 4 countries... sometimes for 1 or 2 days.  I doubt it would be worthwhile (or even possible/cost advantageous) to go get SIMs in each of those countries just for a couple days.  FYI -- going without those services is not an option with my job.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 09:49:49 PM »
I.P. Daley, I reviewed your thorough guide but I still do not see a better alternative for my needs travelling.  For example, in the last 30 days I've utilized voice/data in 4 countries... sometimes for 1 or 2 days.  I doubt it would be worthwhile (or even possible/cost advantageous) to go get SIMs in each of those countries just for a couple days.  FYI -- going without those services is not an option with my job.

I will admit, the guide needs a bit of updating (I have been in the process of doing so), and my site does have a few other options listed this past year in the articles that haven't made it into the official list. Regarding your own needs, Truphone SIM could be a possible solution. I've been looking over KnowRoaming here lately as well, which may not be quite as cheap as Truphone in some regards (and vice versa), but it might actually be an excellent solution for both you and JLee due to it being a SIM sticker overlay for your normal SIM card that takes over in foreign countries and might pair nicely with either P'tel, Ting GSM, Consumer Cellular, or any other GSM MVNO that permits call forwarding. However, as with all my recommendations, I want to know a bit more before I start tossing the name around seriously.

Dexterous

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2015, 11:40:12 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  After doing the math for the countries we typically travel/call... Truphone is only cheaper than Project Fi if we use less than 100 voice minutes (OR 100mb of data, not both) and no texts.  I haven't had time to do all the math for knowroaming based upon recent usage, but I see their rates are only a few cents cheaper than truphone so it would not be a big difference overall.

Basically, I think those can be very useful for people who want an emergency phone that can be used briefly for voice, data, or text when travelling.  However, for regular/modest use it's not the best priced option.  Project Fi remains the cheapest I can find for mobility and regular usage, with the exception of getting local SIMs in each country if you use a lot of voice/data.  Those $.02/min rates on Fi make up the difference quick compared to the others, even with the $20 basic rate you have to pay first.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2015, 11:54:19 AM »
Those $.02/min rates on Fi make up the difference quick compared to the others, even with the $20 basic rate you have to pay first.

You might want to re-check that voice roaming price off WiFi. It's 20¢/minute, not 2¢.

Their international data rate is reasonably consistent and cost effective at $10/GB, but...

I use <100mb of data

...anyone who's using less than 100MB of data a month isn't going to go broke paying for 3MB/data a day a-la-carte internationally for 3-4 short jaunts a month, and you could probably tune that amount down even lower just by switching out the native Gmail app for K-9 Mail and looking a bit closer at background data services.

SUP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2015, 01:11:16 AM »
Whatsapp recently added calling. It is easy and free over wifi. It was a game changer for us.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2015, 10:37:43 AM »
I'm using this (in the beta). It's pretty good. I wouldn't buy a Nexus 6 to use it. The ROI isn't there.

But if you already have a Nexus 6 for whatever reason, and are willing to tune your data usage -- which, if you're on this forum, you should be -- then it is pretty competitive. I basically pay $22/mo.

Hmm. I registered when Fi was first announced but still waiting for it to come to my neck of the woods. Already have a Nexus 6, on the $30 T-Mobile prepaid plan (100 min talk, unlimited SMS and 5GB fast data, then you get throttled).

I've become spoilt when it comes to data - no need to watch usage so I stream music and download podcasts over cellular etc. Wonder if it makes sense to switch to save $5-$8 a month by reducing data usage from 5GB to less than 0.5GB.

On one hand, relatively small savings and a large hit to comfort. On the other hand, my hair is on fire with student loan debt so there's that.
I've started using my Google Voice number now that I'm in Canada for the summer, and SMS works better through that than through my T-Mobile number....that's probably a plan I should switch to.

naloj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2015, 03:22:27 PM »
I've been using Fi for a couple weeks now.

Previous Plan - T-Mobile's 100min/unlimited data $30 plan
Previous Phone - Galaxy Nexus

Reasons for switching:

- My house has spotty coverage. Sometimes wouldn't receive or couldn't place calls.
- My phone didn't support T-Mobile's WiFi calling.
- Would randomly not be able to receive group SMS/MMS.  Apparently this is an ongoing issue that T-Mobile can't/won't solve.
- Support for my phone was basically dropped despite it being basically the same specs as the Moto G and being sold direct by Google.

My cell phone usage can be described as "only when absolutely necessary".

Pros:

- Roams between T-Mobile/Sprint selecting the network with the best signal quality.  Will also roam onto Verizon when neither is available (haven't seen this happen).
- WiFi calling so I can place calls when I need to.
- Welcome kit with a portable usb charging station, case, and headphones.
- Nexus 6 has a nicer camera for omgsocute baby pictures
- Porting my number was complete in ~30 seconds
- Refund for unused data
- From what I hear nice support (didn't have to use)
- Can finance the phone for 2 years @ 0%

Cons:
- Nexus 6 is the only handset supported (even discounted at $500; very steep)
- Have to subscribe to a 1GB data "plan" minimum

My T-Mobile bill was $32.55 w/tax.  Initial Fi bill was $34.60 but should be about $24.80 or so after data refund.

I'm very happy with the Fi service. Before Fi was announced, I was on the fence about trying Republic Wireless, Straight Talk, or going without. It's cheaper than Straight Talk and according to random internet posters: Fi's WiFi->Cell handovers work better than Republic Wireless.

Would have preferred a cheaper phone but didn't want to keep paying for barely usable service/phone when I could save money with a service that works well.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2015, 03:45:00 PM »
according to random internet posters: Fi's WiFi->Cell handovers work better than Republic Wireless.

This is because Fi is using official and proper GSM GAN standards for call routing over mobile and WiFi data (the same as T-Mobile, Sprint and Verizon's LTE phone based WiFi calling support) instead of some half-baked, hacky kludge that does call transfer and handoff.