Author Topic: Prohibition: Ken Burns Documentary (currently on Netflix)  (Read 2523 times)

Rufus.T.Firefly

• Bristles
Prohibition: Ken Burns Documentary (currently on Netflix)
« on: July 07, 2015, 08:06:38 AM »
Ken Burns documentaries are generally very well done and this is no exception.

If you like documentaries, I highly recommend this 3-part series. Ken Burns delves into the deeper root causes that led America to attempt to legislate morality and its struggle with hypocrisy, morality, and alcoholism. The series starts in the early 19th century examining various sobriety causes and goes all the way through the legacies that are still with us today from Prohibition (e.g. women allowed in bars).

It is likely a great educational documentary for those unfamiliar with the Prohibition era. it will likely shape your perspective relating to modern-day political events and it may even inform your voting decisions for issues today and in the future. After all, "those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it." Many of the quotes from politicians and the politically-motivated individuals in the documentary have many similar echoes in today's political environment.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
Re: Prohibition: Ken Burns Documentary (currently on Netflix)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 09:22:20 AM »
Sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Prohibition: Ken Burns Documentary (currently on Netflix)
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 10:08:50 AM »
Great look at "unintended consequences" that is still applicable today - actually that we are still dealing with today... I recommend it too.

I think you might be able to watch it on the PBS website for free too. Our Roku 3 has a PBS channel which has been great.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!