Author Topic: PlatinumTel Discontinuing Service as of 1/30/16!  (Read 2286 times)

lithy

• Stubble
  • Drink Indigenous
PlatinumTel Discontinuing Service as of 1/30/16!
« on: January 23, 2016, 06:35:30 AM »
Ack!

First, I tried a search and couldn't find anything so apologies if I missed something already posted.

I received an e-mail yesterday that as of January 30th, PlatinumTel (PTel, P"Tel) is discontinuing service.  They did say they will be around to help port your number out.

They offer a promo code for Ultra Mobile which I'm assuming is a one time discount of $30 off plans over $30 and $15 off plans under $30.

They also offer a free month of unlimited talk, text, and data on Simple Mobile as well as some special offers from Ting for pay as you go.

Suffice to say I need to go back to the Superguide and find a new MVNO.  I had been using PTel's $25/mo plan for unlimited talk, text, and 2G data.  Unfortunately, the comparable Ultra plan is $34/mo so that probably isn't an option.

If anyone has any recommendations for a provider, preferably GSM that offers online and/or automatic billpay, I'd love to hear them.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 06:37:21 AM by lithy »

headachemustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: PlatinumTel Discontinuing Service as of 1/30/16!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 07:34:45 AM »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 07:39:52 AM »
Ongoing discussion here, along with escape vectors to approved guide MVNOs and where to source SIM cards locally if needed, though the new February 5th port-out deadline helps take some pressure off:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/heads-up-ptel-is-ending-their-service/

As for the new VidaExpress offer that cropped up overnight, apparently it's a middle-man offering with Ultra and SIMPLE Mobile, a sort of virtual mobile dealer setup. I have to be honest, I've never heard of them. It appears someone bought the domain in March of last year after it sat fallow for nearly a decade, and there's been nothing on it until the past few days. Make of that what you will. Doesn't mean that they can't potentially be trusted, it just means they're very new and there's no track record.

Caveats for SIMPLE Mobile applies as to all other America Movil brands (Tracfone, NET10, StraightTalk, Page Plus, Total), I can't recommend them in good conscience. My feelings on Ultra are mixed. They're still relatively new (under three years), and there's minor quibbles with their legal policies, so I haven't felt comfortable adding them to the guide, but one could easily do worse than Ultra.

lithy

• Stubble
  • Drink Indigenous
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 07:43:51 AM »
Take a look at this thread for the latest on PTel's demise:
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/heads-up-ptel-is-ending-their-service/50/

Thanks!  I assumed with news that would affect this MMMers I just missed the post.

A mod could delete this thread if they feel so inclined. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!