Author Topic: Non-US members: what do you use to invest abroad?  (Read 1137 times)

longtry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Non-US members: what do you use to invest abroad?
« on: March 26, 2020, 10:00:48 PM »
I'm not sure whether to post this here or in the Investor valley. Maybe a double post is better? :)

I am from Vietnam and looking to invest in some stocks/ETFs/commodities in the US, or even worldwide is better if possible. Most of the posts here focus on what to choose (e.g. Vanguard) but overlook the part of how to do it (i.e. which brokerage firm...) - which is natural because most of us are American and have no problems investing in their very own country.

IMO, the priority takes a 180' turn when we switch our view to a non-US resident. Here our biggest concern is how sure we can be about our ability to withdraw the money from abroad. The risk of losing that whole investment is very real and will surely prove to be a disaster to Mustachian-type people when it happens.

So I have some questions for you guys & gals:

1. Are there sites which combine, or at least show, both "professional" and "population" reviews on a company/service? Something like what rottentomatoes does. During my little research, I found that many brokers have very high ratings from those professional sites (brokerchooser...) and very low from the population sites (forexpeacearmy...). Which means at least 1 side is wrong. I don't know, maybe the corporate sites got bribe money from the broker firms; or maybe the amateur sites are overcome by fake bots. Finding some unbiased sources is paramount.

2. If we can't find a site that satisfies 1., then I'd like to ask non-US Mustachians who are investing in the US: how do you do it? Will appreciate the details and your ratings on the current service.
(2b. - Alternative for US-based members: are you investing worldwide, for example Europe? What brokers are you using?)

Thank you all.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
Re: Non-US members: what do you use to invest abroad?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 08:51:30 AM »
I guess there won't be many people here able to answer you. You are searching for Vietnam options. Every country has their own banks or dedicated broker. And Europe access to other countrie's banks. (e.g. Netherlands Ing-Diba is very active in other countries)

After you have chosen your bank/broker it is simply a question of choosing the ETF. All have at least one ETF of the standard indices. And even if not you can buy most on the stock exchange system. (Albeit that is often a bit more expensive)