Author Topic: Newbie Hiking Gear?  (Read 6710 times)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
Newbie Hiking Gear?
« on: March 04, 2018, 03:25:35 PM »
I have only hiked casually (a few 5-7 mile trails here and there) but am trying to talk my SO into staying domestic this year for our vacation and going to a national park to hike for a week. We would take different trails each day, and would not be camping/backpacking, just hiking for most of the day.

Every time I've gone hiking at home, it was in tennis shoes and leggings, without any real thought or care. The last trail we did was a little rough though and I was worried since I had no ankle support.

For those mustachians that hike, what gear would I need for a trip like this? I don't want to get decked out if I don't have to, but I plan on buying a few pairs of good wool socks and some boots at the very least. What do I need to look for in a pair of hiking boots that will last? Are these something you can buy second-hand on eBay, or is it worth purchasing them new?

Should I look for / be wary of any certain brands/styles? What should a reasonable boot cost? Any other considerations for gear?

I'm thinking we will be hiking in September, although I'm not 100% sure where yet. I'm voting for Glacier National Park, Yellowstone, Zion, Sedona, or Grand Teton, possibly Hawaii, too. All very different climates, I know, and I will have a better idea of where I'm going in a few weeks.

So I need recommendations for mustache-friendly gear that won't break the bank but will last for years to come with light use (a week trip yearly, and a few extra hikes throughout the year). I'm planning on staying in the 5-10 difficulty point range, if that helps.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Newbie Hiking Gear?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 04:05:38 PM »
We did the Trail du Mont Blanc, a hike into the Grand Canyon, the Lost Coast, and lots of other smaller trips.  We both wear Brooks Cascadia trail runners.  Wearing trail runners instead of boots will strengthen your ankles, making the ankle support of the boots unnecessary.  The shoes (or any trail runners) will be a bit over $100, but try to buy last year's model, we normally can get them for $80.

Then you will probably want a day pack if you don't already have one.  I'd go to REI or other outdoor store and try a few on.  Osprey makes some good packs.  Otherwise this is actually a really good daypack with a water bladder and rain cover for cheap on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2oPHXPD

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 04:08:30 PM »
For what you're planning you really don't need much.

Unless you are going off-trail or doing something extreme you don't need special boots. Most of the main trails in the National Parks are wilderness freeways, wide and well maintained, worn from travel. Tennis shoes are fine. At most, light hikers. You shouldn't need ankle support unless you have especially weak ankles, and even then some hightop light hikers should be sufficient.

If you do buy light hikers, brand matters less than fit. Go someplace you can try them on to ensure correct fit (no rubbing, constriction points, not too loose, etc.). No need to buy super expensive, around $100 should be fine. Or less if on sale.

Do not buy heavy duty hiking boots. They are expensive, take forever to break in, and are overkill for your plans. These type of boots are for those hiking long distances, and/or doing lots of off trail travel. They are also heavy, which takes a toll.

As for other gear: Daypack (small backpack), sun hat, water bottle, and camera. I prefer long sleeves (even in desert) and pants just to keep the bugs/sun/dirt off, though this is largely a matter of personal preference. Recommend wool or synthetic material (pretty much anything except cotton). Weather in any of the National Parks can be unpredictable and highly variable, so good idea to pack along a lightweight waterproof and windproof jacket (if you already have one) or a waterproof rain poncho (run about $30).

If you're getting off of the main trails/attractions and further into the interior of parks then you need a few more things: topo map and compass (and know how to use them), water filter, first aid kit, warm layer and some extra food and perhaps a lightweight tarp in case you have an unplanned bivouac. But I don't get the sense that this is the type of hiking you have planned.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 04:10:17 PM by FINate »

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 04:12:45 PM »
If you're getting off of the main trails/attractions and further into the interior of parks then you need a few more things: topo map and compass (and know how to use them), water filter, first aid kit, warm layer and some extra food and perhaps a lightweight tarp in case you have an unplanned bivouac. But I don't get the sense that this is the type of hiking you have planned.

That's right; I'm not planning on going off of the trails (yet) but am really enjoying newbie/easy hiking as a hobby and may develop it as I learn more. Thanks for your detailed response. I'll take a look at REI and see what I can find, and then see if I can find any sales elsewhere/online for whatever fits.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 04:46:12 PM »
We did the Trail du Mont Blanc, a hike into the Grand Canyon, the Lost Coast, and lots of other smaller trips.  We both wear Brooks Cascadia trail runners.  Wearing trail runners instead of boots will strengthen your ankles, making the ankle support of the boots unnecessary.  The shoes (or any trail runners) will be a bit over $100, but try to buy last year's model, we normally can get them for $80.

Then you will probably want a day pack if you don't already have one.  I'd go to REI or other outdoor store and try a few on.  Osprey makes some good packs.  Otherwise this is actually a really good daypack with a water bladder and rain cover for cheap on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2oPHXPD
I didn't even think about trail runners. Thanks for this! I'll go to REI and try out a few things before making a purchase. Thanks so much for your help and advice.

C-note

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 05:31:25 PM »
We hike pretty much every weekend even through the winter.  Love our Colorado backyard!  We hike a wide variety of trails with some requiring more physical activity than others - over/around boulders, narrow on-the-edge trail, etc.  We wear trail runners.  We have micro-spikes for our winter hikes which has saved our butts (and wrists!) on more than one occasion.

I hike in shorts with bike/compression shorts under them.  I also wear flexible knee supports on both knees so only about 6-8 inches of my lower legs is exposed.  Long sleeve shirts for both of us.  We both have Camelbaks but I prefer to wear a waist/hip water belt.  My main squeeze wears a backpack for light snacks, micro-spikes, tissues, gloves, ear protection, first-aid kit, compass, etc.  I'd definitely recommend a wide-brimmed hat and possibly a bandana. 

Not too expensive to outfit yourself for warm weather, day hikes.  I'd also recommend trail maps unless you're doing hikes on well-marked trails.     

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 08:56:51 PM »
Grand Teton will be nice in September, as will Yellowstone (tho crowded). Yosemite will be packed. Hawaii hiking is fantastic.

Lots of good advice so far, really you do not need much, and trail runners will be more than adequate for what you want to do. I will suggest sticking to paper maps, even though you can download maps to your phone, GPS can be buggy at times and yield inaccurate location pinpointing. Doesn't happen much, but it can happen. I ran into issues with the phone last year in Idaho hiking around Meadow Lake, and have also had minor issues when Hiking the Tahoe Rim Trail. Even when hiking a well known trail, a map is nice.

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 09:44:30 PM »
I'm going to go against the crowd here. Trail runners are likely to be sufficient, but I wouldn't go without hiking boots in September to a bunch of those places (Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Teton). I was in Grand Teton/Yellowstone in mid-September this year, and it snowed.

Even if you don't have to deal with snow, you may encounter rain and mud. Trail runners are ok in some bad weather, but not nearly as reliable as boots would be. At home, you may find that too muddy or slippery for trail runners means you just wouldn't bother hiking that day. If you're making a special trip, you don't want to find yourself limited because you don't have suitable footwear for the weather that time of year.

The good news is that if you do get a decent pair of hiking boots, they should last you forever.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 11:35:43 AM »
I hike a lot, and I prefer waterproof Keens hiking shoes. These are between runners and boots. They are lightweight like trail runners, but no wet feet. Plus, Keens have a wide toebox. This is nice because feet tend to swell, particularly for those that don't do a lot of hiking or those that put in many miles a day. If Keens don't feel right, then any of the waterproof lighter weight shoes work well. If you feel you need more ankle support, then get a pair with high tops.

Light gaiters are nice, especially in late summer/fall when trails can be dry. They keep the crap out of your shoes, which saves your feet. I made my own, but you can get them relatively inexpensively.

Day pack -- get one with a bladder and enough room to hold lunch/snacks, first aid stuff, and the layers you will shed. Water bottles can work, but I find I am more likely to stay hydrated with a bladder. Plus, it carries close to the back and is simply more comfortable.

Leggings are great. I hike in leggings with convertible pants over them in the spring/fall. Makes it easy to shed layers. I prefer those made for athletics, since they wick moisture and dry quickly.

Depending on where you go, bear spray is a must. Don't skimp here. Many national and state parks require it west of the Rockies. You'll probably never need it, but if you do, you really do.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 11:52:29 AM »
DH and I hike at lot, also on rough trails with heavy pack. We have a pair of good and expensive hiking boots. But... we both have also been lucky buying more simple hiking boots at a boot sale, or at the end of season sale. Those were very cheap and fit very well. We use those for the simpler hikes without heavy pack. With just a day pack you don't nessecarily need boots, but can use shoes

If you expect the trail to be rocky and uneven, you might want a sole that it not flexible (you cannot easily bow the sole if you push the front to the back. This way your shoe sole will not fold around rocks, which might cause blisters. If you walk on more even terrain without rocks or on gravel or asphalt, you want a shoe with a more flexible sole. Too stiff soles with give blisters on asphalt walking.
If you walk in wet terrain, you will appreciate goretex shoes. In warm terrain these would be very warm and sweaty.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 12:00:23 PM »
Another vote for trail runners. I don't hike in anything else (only do day hikes) and I hike frequently. I wear long pants or tights to protect against thorns and bites even in warm weather. I carry a women's Nathan trail running pack with hydration bladder. I also often use trekking poles and highly recommend hiking with poles for better endurance and balance (and waving about at animals). I hike a lot in high elevation locations (like northern New Mexico) so the weather is unpredictable. I keep a long-sleeve Icebreaker shirt, Patagonia light shell, merino beanie, and light gloves in my pack. I also carry a tissue pack, SPF chapstick, phone, snacks, safety whistle. I hike/trail run alone, often in areas with no cell reception, so I also carry a personal locator beacon (ACR ResQlink). I should be carrying a fire kit but I haven't managed to get around to it yet...

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 07:38:45 PM »
@C-note -- I'd love to live in Colorado but I don't know if I could handle the cold! :-) Another vote for trail runners it is. They sound like a better idea, anyway. I'll check out knee supports as well since I do tend to swell a little. Thanks for all of the great ideas.

@facepalm -- Noted! I'll be sure to carry a map. Thanks.

@FIFoFum -- What brands of boots do you recommend? I am looking to BIFL on boots, trail runners I'd expect to get several years out of (since I don't hike much).

@Lichen -- Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check them out. And gaiters, too. And thanks for the bear spray tip, too. Do you have a brand recommendation, or are they pretty standard?

@Linda_Norway -- Thank you for the advice! I'll have to select my shoe based on where we end up going, but that was a very thorough explanation and I appreciate it!

@Dr Kidstache -- Solid advice. I think I have some survival stuff at our house (BF likes the idea of a bug-out bag but ours is only about half-built). I'll rummage through that, see what we have, and supplement with some of your ideas. How big is your pack?

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 08:20:56 PM »
I like to hike in hiking shoes, not trail runners, if I'm on rocky terrain.  My favorites are by Vasque.  Currently I have the women's Mantra 2.0. While they cost a bit more than trail runners, they last three times as long for me.  for hiking clothing you can get good deals at sierratradingpost.com if you know what you want.  wear whatever feels good.  I wear a wide brimmed hat and wish I'd started doing that at your age....the sun you get now will show up on your skin in 20 years!

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 10:41:17 PM »
@FIFoFum -- What brands of boots do you recommend? I am looking to BIFL on boots, trail runners I'd expect to get several years out of (since I don't hike much).

I have a slightly older version of this boot: https://www.rei.com/product/896262/asolo-tps-520-gv-evo-hiking-boots-mens

I like them because I find it hard to find a good fit for my feet (short, wide) and these work for me. Fit is everything. The reviews indicate some construction issues in the more recent versions, so I wouldn't say I recommend them. I also haven't put a ton of miles on mine, so who knows what problems lurk. They are heavier boots than you would need for this type of trip.

For trail runners, which I use most of the time - I've been wearing some version of the Salomon XA Pro series for about a decade. They are comfortable and good for most light hiking (as well as my daily dog nature walks/hikes). I don't get multiple years out of a pair, but they are essentially everyday wear for me.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 06:58:45 AM »
Fit is huge.... And understanding that most boots need to be broken in - Keen less than more traditional boots.

I also prefer to let my ankles work most of the time, but a good pair of boots is super helpful for grip - last year my boots died too close to a backpacking trip to replace and break in. I was in my butt/thighs/face multiple times an hour on some sections of the trail. It was a hilarious and memorable trip, but would have been dangerous if I had longer days or if my body wasn't so bouncy.

If you both get new boots, you can break them in now and also get a sense of how much ground to cover each day

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 07:42:13 AM »
@Dr Kidstache -- Solid advice. I think I have some survival stuff at our house (BF likes the idea of a bug-out bag but ours is only about half-built). I'll rummage through that, see what we have, and supplement with some of your ideas. How big is your pack?

I definitely don't day hike with a full bug-out bag. What I carry is super lightweight and requires little space. I have an old version of this pack: https://www.nathansports.com/vaporairess-women-s-hydration-backpack-4527nscc
Storage Capacity: 427 cu in/7 Liters without bladder; 305 cu in/5 Liters with bladder
Very lightweight, fitted for running so there's no bouncing around of the pack, lots of pockets and bungee straps to expand capacity if needed.

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 12:24:20 PM »
I'm an avid hiker living in Montana. I'm with the crowd here: trail runners are probably just right for most of what you want to do, but if you're going to be in Glacier/Yellowstone in September, you'll probably want some hiking boots. I mainly wear hiking boots for heavy backpacking on rough terrain or cold/wet weather.

My other critical gear:
Wide-brimmed hat. A baseball cap won't do.
Sunscreen (yes, even in fall/winter!)
Bandana (to cover my neck where sunscreen tends to rub off)
Chacos (In the summer, I do most of my light hiking--and pretty much everything else--in Chacos. They aren't good for rocky or gravelly trails, but I find them soooo comfortable. I also like that they can be resoled)
Sun protection shirt--a lightweight, long-sleeved button-down that I got from REI 10+ years ago.

I might look like a little old lady, but I'll burn otherwise. High altitude sun damage is no joke.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 12:23:32 AM »
When it comes to socks, I notice that my feet respond best to wearing several pairs of socks. For hiking I used a pair of thin baseliners and a pair of thick woolen socks. Even in trail runners, my feet get sore when wearing only one pair of socks.
Maybe it is just my feet, but in some cases shoes have a little crevasse between the sole and the inside of the shoe. This gives me blisters.

Another important hiking attribute is toilet paper and a small garbage bag to put it in. You will need it underway at some point and it is good to not litter the ground with the paper.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 01:20:56 PM »
One of funniest Hiking related reddit posts I've seen said something like:

I see you with your Patagonia clothes, hiking poles, and 300$ boots.  My 5 year just hiked the same trail in sandals while carrying his barbie

It showed a picture of a little kid in sandals holding a mud covered barbie. 

The point is.. for day hiking you just need whats comfortable.  Shoes you can walk a lot in and clothing to protect you from the elements.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2018, 04:30:11 PM »
@Dee18 -- I'll check those out, thanks! I didn't know about sierratradingpost.com so I'll take a look there, too. I'm definitely taking a wide-brimmed hat!

@FIFoFum -- Thanks! Salomon's look great, and I think that with the limited hiking/outdoors time I get I could get a few years out of them.

@ElleFiji -- Thanks. Should I just wear them around the house for a week or so to break them in?

@Dr Kidstache -- That looks perfect!

@tyrannostache -- We moved the trip to August (not sure if that really changes anything, and still deciding whether early/late August). Great ideas for sun protection, too. I'll definitely be looking into a sun shirt.

@Linda_Norway -- do you wear the thin ones underneath the wool or vice versa? And good call on the T.P. - I've got some travel TP that will go in my backpack ASAP so I don't forget. :-)

@Cromacster -- Solid mustachian wisdom! I feel like I might be overthinking this. :-)

mavendrill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2018, 05:37:19 PM »
Hiking shoes really depends on locale and your personal tolerances.
I almost never wear anything, or wear sandals, though in winter I will occasionally wear tennis shoes in the snow.

A hiking stick is a god-send.  If you are going to hike more than 5-10 miles in a day, the amount of joint stress it saves cannot be overstated.

My first-aid kit has shrunk over time, and currently consists of a roll of athletic tape, sunscreen, a handkerchief, and bug repellent.

I recommend two water bottles (and always enough water for your hike).  You just never know when something stupid is going to break the lid on a bottle, and being able to have a backup that is full is just pleasant. 

A good hiking backpack is amazing.  I dropped my kelty off a cliff on accident (I was 20,000 feet up - the thinking gets iffy), and found it on our way back down at 16000 ft with a minor scuff.  That is the only damage to it in 15 years of use.  Just don't get more than you need.

Suit

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2018, 11:46:00 PM »
I'm a PNW hiker to give you a frame of reference for my choices. I have hiking shoes that look like sneakers from North Face but they are water proof which comes in handy when dealing with rain or crossing small streams. Wet socks suck. I also use a daypack with a camelback like pack inside, convenient way to carry water and spreads out the weight. I recommend a pack with straps connecting the shoulder straps across your chest and the bottom of the bag around your waist. I also hike in long pants even in summer given the thorns/bugs/etc.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 01:06:48 AM »

@Linda_Norway -- do you wear the thin ones underneath the wool or vice versa? And good call on the T.P. - I've got some travel TP that will go in my backpack ASAP so I don't forget. :-)

Thin liners as the first pair. Thick woolen socks outside. Example of liner socks for hiking boots are Bridgedale Coolmax or Bridgedale Thermal Liner. But in sports shops you can also find thin liner socks for running shoes.

narrative

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 10:00:01 AM »
Ditto the suggestion for waterproof shoes/boots. And thanks everyone for the suggestions.

We have these trekking poles and they have held up to use pretty well. We just have the two and share them between the 4 of us (2 adults, 2 kids) depending on where we're going and who wants to use them at any given time.

I usually carry the water - a kleen kanteen for shorter hikes or water in this hydration bladder for longer ones. When I bought it it came with the insulating bag but I rarely use that because it doesn't fit well in my pack. I keep it all in a cycling backpack I picked up at Aldi a year or two ago. I also carry a basic first aid kit in there as well - bandaids and the like mostly.

wonkette

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 11:45:23 AM »
Since REI has been recommended so much on this thread, join the REI member program ($20 for lifetime membership, which I made back in dividends over my first year). Then keep your eyes peeled for the REI Garage Sales that come around about once a quarter. My boots and day pack as well as several pairs of high quality socks were purchased in great condition from garage sales at steep discounts. The best strategy for shoes is to know what size you take in various brands beforehand.

Maybe this is old news to you, but if you've been questioning the wisdom of the $20 expense (as any mustachian would) I think you should go for it.

narrative

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2018, 01:11:15 PM »
Maybe this is old news to you, but if you've been questioning the wisdom of the $20 expense (as any mustachian would) I think you should go for it.

I'm not OP, but I've always wondered this. I never lived near enough to an REI for it to matter, and do now. Stupid question - are the garage sales online, in-store, or both?

wonkette

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2018, 04:28:39 PM »

I'm not OP, but I've always wondered this. I never lived near enough to an REI for it to matter, and do now. Stupid question - are the garage sales online, in-store, or both?

I guess both but they are different things. On REI.com there is a section called REI Garage. It is just a clearance section. Good place to score deals, much larger and easier to browse than an in person garage sale. I don't know if you even have to be a member to buy from that section of the site.

The in person garage sales are returned and/or damaged items that have been returned to that store. In my store they are set on tables or racks or in the case of shoes cardboard boxes. Each item has tag attached that said why it was returned. REI's return policy is pretty generous so it is a lot of 'customer didn't like it' but it isn't quite in like new condition anymore or is no longer in stock - my boots had some dirt in the treads from being worn outside but no wear pattern on the treads or anything. There are things that need minor repairs like zippers redone. Sometimes it is just the packaging that is damaged. I don't know why my daypack didn't go right back on the shelf, it was in like new condition and had all interior components. I also bought a Kleen Kanteen when the tag said 'leaked' but when I filled it up at the water fountain it was fine so I think that was user error. So basically it is like a temporary thrift store. Last one I went to the strollers and tents seemed to be the hot items.

Jaguar Paw

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2018, 08:23:58 PM »
Saw that you wrote that you may be over thinking it here, and I'll moderately agree.

I like to spend most of my time on vacations hiking and camping and places like you described, Glacier, Yellowstone, Tetons, Colorado, Alaska, Yosemite..

The great thing with hiking is that to get started, you really don't need much at all. When I first started in it, I had sneakers, a backpack, a big water bottle and some cargo shorts. I purchased absolutely nothing for hiking.

That being said, if you do get more serious about it, there is an abundance of stuff that I like and suggest.

To the original question with shoes, anything will do. I normally use trail runners and have never used boots because they seem too clunky and heavy. Last November I did a pretty sweet hike up a Colorado mountain covered in crotch deep snow while wearing road running shoes with wool socks. It's all good in the hood. Enjoy the outdoors. Don't overthink it. REI rocks!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2018, 09:58:03 PM »
Unless I missed it, the point should be made that REI has an excellent return policy.  It's only after a good long weekend of hiking or more that you know whether the shoes you bought are gonna work for you.  No amount of bouncing around on the "terrain" they have in the stores is a good substitute.  So I appreciate their generous 1 year return policy - the products do not need to be in pristine condition.

I also am in favor of boots - it really depends on the person.  I feel how heavy they are when I wear them and it is not insignificant!  But while my legs may get tired of lifting my heavier feet, my feet are so much more comfortable and I guess I just have really bad ankles.  There's no right rule, and I really don't think the main question is even terrain.  I have trail runners and boots and my trail runners are only for sub 10 mile days, boots are for everything over, regardless of terrain.

A few people have mentioned poles, and I want to promote that.  They are supposed to be good to protect your knees in the long term (especially on long descents) and I also just love them for somewhere to put my hands to prevent the blood pooling in my fingers and making them into fat sausages if I let my arms hang by my side.  You could always loop your thumbs through your backpack straps to give a little relief from this, but poles are a great help in this regard!

In the bottom of your daypack, be sure to include a headlamp, gloves and a beanie.  It was just a couple months ago a friend and I started up Mt. Dickerman outside of Seattle late in the day and were hiking down in the dark for the last 45 minutes.  There was another party of 3 just behind us that had only one headlamp between them and were using one cell phone until it died.  It was really stressful hearing/seeing them try to navigate and I couldn't believe they seemed surprised they were caught out in the dark.  Good idea to be prepared to be "benighted" at any time!

ice_beard

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2018, 11:33:26 PM »
You don't need boots.  Boots are for ankle support when you are carrying a heavy load (think multi day backpacking trip).  Boots are kind of antiquated for hiking imho.  They are heavy and clunky.  Some of the more modern versions by Merrill, etc. are lighter weight but not really necessary once your ankles have developed some strength in them from regular hiking. 
I bought an expensive pair of hiking boots many years ago before my first "real" backpacking trip and sure they worked, but a few years later during my first summer in Alaska, I realized that trail runners were what I really wanted on day hikes.  I still have those expensive boots and they see action occasionally as work boots but I couldn't imagine wearing those logs on an actual backpacking trip. 

My best tip would be to get some shoes months in advance before your trip and get your feet adjusted to wearing them.  Nothing will ruin your hiking trip faster than foot blisters made on the first day in unfamiliar footwear.  A small backpack with or without a water bladder that you can carry extra layers and snacks in is about all you need for day hiking.  REI has everything you need. 

dang1

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2018, 01:45:20 AM »
satellite phone.. ok, at least an inreach

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2018, 02:26:13 PM »
For day hiking in decent weather up to 8-10 miles I just wear sneakers. But then again I get a slightly perverse sense of satisfaction from motoring past slower hikers all kitted up with REI's finest while I'm in jeans and tennis shoes...

I do have decent leather boots that I've had for 15+ years that I'll wear on loaded multi day hikes or when I know I'll encounter excessive snow, mud, or scree, but that's maybe 15% of my hiking.

The key advice is to never wear new shoes or boots on a hike. Take time to break them in well ahead of time.

A few people have mentioned poles, and I want to promote that.  They are supposed to be good to protect your knees in the long term (especially on long descents) and I also just love them for somewhere to put my hands to prevent the blood pooling in my fingers and making them into fat sausages if I let my arms hang by my side.  You could always loop your thumbs through your backpack straps to give a little relief from this, but poles are a great help in this regard!

I don't bother with poles either, but I know people who swear by them. I consider grabbing the straps of your pack to be a bad habit (especially on hills) because you can stumble and not be able to get your hand out in time to help with the fall. Seen it happen.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 02:28:44 PM by Samuel »

Zap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2018, 04:40:10 PM »
I've hiked over 3000 miles in the last couple of years in trail runners. They are all most need for light loads, like you would be carrying on a day hike. Ankles will get stronger and balance will improve with more miles hiked. Over the ankle boots are overkill unless carrying heavy loads in very tough terrain, imo.

A small day pack would be nice. Something comfortable to carry a few snacks, water, and the 10 Essentials.

Hiking poles are something I find useful most of the time. If the trail is smooth I'll usually just carry them, but they help on downhills especially. Prices can get crazy, a stick or broom handle cut to length could work for you, try it out.