Author Topic: My blog feedback  (Read 2308 times)

Beach_Stache

• Stubble
    • This Frugal Father
My blog feedback
« on: June 10, 2017, 06:52:01 AM »
Hi all,
I started my own blog.  Well, I wouldn't really say I started it, my sister started it.  It stemmed from my daily conversations with her about how stupid her family is with money.  I give her what I think is great advice and she understands it and then completely ignores it.  She's one of those 1%'s who live paycheck to paycheck and is totally stressed out because of it.  She convinced me to start the blog, so I said I'd write if she administrates and does all the rest of the stuff.  I've got about 50 or so articles lined up and am aiming to do one/week.  Really I'd be happy if she's the only one who read it and I do see that with her having to edit and post the articles that she is actually making changes to her life!  I figure that with the very small changes she's made (she's still got a long way to go) I've probably saved her about $300/month or so.  Anywho, if anyone is interested in checking it out, I'd love any feedback you have on ways to make it better, article ideas or any other constructive criticism from bloggers and readers who are interested.
Thanks!
http://thisfrugalfather.blogspot.com/

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
Re: My blog feedback
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 02:49:53 AM »
Nice blog. You've staked out a spot with huge potential-being frugal with family. Not much out there in the FIRE blogosphere, and some of the stuff I've come across seems a bit extreme. You guys on the other hand seem "normal" an attribute missing or underrepresented. I'm not living in a motorhome and living off $7k a year. I'm not about to make $100k a year any time soon, and although DINK is the smart way to ER, for many of us that ship has sailed! I'd like to see more details. Your grocery bill is $400? How?! You have a quite a few possibilities dangling in that blog post.

Beach_Stache

• Stubble
    • This Frugal Father
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 04:11:59 AM »
Thanks for the response!  Yes, we're somewhat moderate.  There is a lot of free stuff you can do with kids, but also not a lot and savings can be tough, but it really is a mindset.  To hear some of the stuff people with families in our area spend money on is insane, and then the complaint that they don't have money, or that they had to put their 5th disney vacation on their credit card.  It's just nuts.  I like the idea of expanding more on the family part of it and how you can save with a larger family.  Thanks again for the feedback!

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 01:40:42 AM »
Maybe categorise your blog by theme. It is still bare but the video at the bottom could be under "Recipes/Cooking" or videos.

Lepetitange3

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 06:25:08 PM »
I like it.  You have a great niche because your "level" of frugality doesn't sound unachievable to the uninitiated.  That said, I think you need to work on your "voice"...blog readers tend to look for a saucier tone.  I don't know why that's a thing, but it's definitely a thing.  I'm a published author and have a blog and the blog has to keep up a different tone to keep readers' interest.  It's definitely a skill you could learn or you could have someone edit into your content  for you.  If you amp it up, you have a lot of potential here to earn a little side income FWIW.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!