Author Topic: Mint SIM - 2GB LTE + unlt'd talk/text for $12/mo (3 month promo)  (Read 4535 times)

garg33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Anyone used Mint SIM before? They have a crazy promo going right now, unlimited talk+text and 2 GB of LTE data a month (throttled unlimited after). You pay $35 upfront for 3 months of service. Seriously tempted to jump ship from Project Fi and at least try it out.

Looks like it runs on the T-mobile network.

https://www.mintsim.com/

garg33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Mint SIM - 2GB LTE + unlt'd talk/text for $12/mo (3 month promo)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 10:03:28 PM »
Just to provide an update, I activated today and it works great so far.

Sean Og

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 09:13:30 AM »
Looking at ordering 2 sims for my wife and I this weekend, we live in a city where TMO coverage is good. We are looking at the 2GB plan for me and the 5GB plan for my wife.

ajachim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 12:47:08 PM »
Just ordered the 2 gb for me and the wife. Hoping it will be good and I'll save money from verizon

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 08:25:34 PM »
I'll just park this here from the guide discussion thread for edification purposes:

Has anyone tried Mintsim?

Mint SIM is a sub-brand of Ultra Mobile. This means T-Mobile native network, no roaming. Been a while since I've read their TOS, but as with every provider, you should do that yourself before plopping down money. As for Ultra as a carrier specifically, I'd been hesitant to put them on the official list in the past, partly due to age and marginally due to terms of service. The terms have backed off a bit on the troubling language, IIRC, and they've now been in place for a few years... so when P'tel folded earlier this year and they offered deals for escapees, I didn't balk. They're now the only T-Mobile provider currently offering the plans they are at the prices they are, the other had been P'tel.

I used to make a big deal about business longevity in my recommendations as it demonstrated a solid business model in a cutthroat industry with thin margins and no (IMHO, necessary) government regulation to protect and preserve the wholesale wireless telecom market. Then the carriers started exploiting that lack of regulation when the wholesale MVNOs eroded away their high priced cash cow user base, and now over the past year and change, we've seen a lot of shift, consolidation, shutdowns and buyouts in the industry because of it. P'tel, one of the oldest MVNOs in the nation had to close its doors. Walmart even got out of the game. WALMART. They literally sold off their Family Mobile customers to Carlos Slim/America Movil/Tracfone Wireless this last summer. Even America Movil, the 800lb gorilla of the industry owned and run by a man who knows how to work a monopoly position, is starting to lose customers. Crap is definitely going down in the MVNO industry. The risks of using any MVNO has increased some, even the "blue chip" ones. The only "safe" long-term brands for the risk adverse are the ones owned by the actual carriers. Unfortunately, without regulation, what happens to those prices once they kill off all the competition?

I feel a bit quixotic these days. We're starting to lose the battle, but so long as we're willing to chose real competition over the carriers directly, these cheaper, alternative plans should persist in some form or fashion.

Which brings us back around to Mint SIM specifically. Their gimmick, their differentiation as a sub-brand from Ultra is their price structure. Pay for X months in advance, get a bulk rate discount on service with biggest savings for those who pay a year in advance.

Given what I've told you of the current state and health of the MVNO industry... does this sound like a safe bet for saving money?

My advice? Find a monthly plan that that gives you what you need at a price that saves you money, stick with it and fight the urge to perpetually chase after the cheapest deal available by jumping from provider to provider thus causing churn and volatility with the providers, and simply appreciate the savings you can get for as long as you can still get it.

Sean Og

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 11:31:10 PM »
Thanks for that. I had read it in the other post and it lead me on a trip over to your site which is very useful.

I still think at $50 for 3 months of the 5GB plan, it is worth it (the risk of Mintsim folding etc). After the 3 month plan, all going well, I would stay on with them but would be reluctant to sign up for anything more than the 3 months. If I'm not happy, I'll probably go back to the ATT network with either H2O or Cricket in that order.

All that said....I just stumbled across a further 20% discount if you purchase the 6 or 12 month plans. That puts the 5GB/12 month plan at approx $20/month

https://www.cnet.com/news/get-a-full-year-of-mint-sim-phone-service-for-159-20/ Code is SHOPCLEVER

garg33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 04:17:25 PM »
The credit risk feels minimal to me. Even on the slim chance that they fold and you are left without service you paid for, you can try a chargeback with your credit card issuer, which has a good chance of working.

garg33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 04:17:43 PM »
Also, nice code! Now I wish I'd waited a bit, lol.

cashistrash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 06:50:31 AM »
I signed up for this.  Seems to be working well and I might do the year plan.  I'm not that worried about them going out of business.  I was affected by both Ptel and Sunrocket going out of business.  In both cases I was able to dispute the charges with my credit card and get my money back.

melanie2008

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 09:56:49 AM »
I am thinking of trying this too. I don't use my phone too much. My husband and I both use walmartfamily and it is $60/month for both of us and mine is $25 so it isn't a lot of savings for me to use the smallest plan but I think I may try it.