Author Topic: Mint Closing Down. Alternatives?  (Read 12831 times)

rjbf65

• Stubble
Re: Mint Closing Down. Alternatives?
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2023, 07:46:03 AM »
There was a button I had to click from my mint account. I thought I’d be content moving to credit karma since I thought it would do most of what mint did besides the budgeting stuff. The main thing I don’t like (aside from the terrible layout) is I’m not seeing the ability to export the transactions from CK to a csv file.  I would update my spreadsheet from my data from mint religiously every single month. I track investing rate, giving rate, spending rate, tax rate etc…. 

WayDownSouth

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2023, 09:56:46 AM »
Credit Karma is a BIG TIME data harvesting company (believe it or not) and so there's no surprise that Mint would be pushing users toward Credit Karma. I'd prefer not to get into deep details but I wouldn't use Credit Karma for the life of me. I used it before, it worked well, but there's a lot of shady crap there regarding your personal info. Read their privacy policy. I closed my CK account a few years ago.

I don't get the objection over data harvesting. I will happily trade my data for a quality product, which Mint mostly was.

I moved my mint stuff to Credit Karma and I absolutely hate it so far.  Hard to find what I'm looking for.   

How did you do this? I can't figure out how to migrate over. I had assumed I'd get an email about it but it never came.

Because it's deep data and not only the harvesting but the amount they're retaining, why, and what their doing with their harvested product.

In addition, as you can see, you're not going to be trading your data for a quality product such as Mint. Credit Karma is a whole different machine. Seeing as Intuit is the owner of both (CK and Mint), nobody finds it odd that there wasn't more transparency on what you'd actually be getting from your "migration" before it happened? Now go and read those CK terms and conditions, plus user agreement. Compare with Mint. Intuit is meeting goals with that movement and it's not clear to me why they ended Mint for something so sub-par, and while giving so little details on the whole ordeal.

WayDownSouth

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2023, 11:25:24 AM »
Seeing as Intuit is the owner of both (CK and Mint), nobody finds it odd that there wasn't more transparency on what you'd actually be getting from your "migration" before it happened? Now go and read those CK terms and conditions, plus user agreement. Compare with Mint. Intuit is meeting goals with that movement and it's not clear to me why they ended Mint for something so sub-par, and while giving so little details on the whole ordeal.

The Mint and Monarch cofounder explained this in his blog post. Intuit makes their money from TurboTax. They bought both Mint and CreditKarma to funnel those users toward their profitable product. CK is much much larger than Mint and they have little incentive to keep both products running separately.

They are ending Mint because they achieved their goals with it. Providing budgeting software was never their goal.

I think you are right and I also think that the budgeting data, combined with Credit Karma, and TurboTax offers a whole lotta identity leverage for one entity, don't you? From the source and use of every financial data point to the "most important payment" and everything in between. Pretty interesting picture painted there.

I think soooooo many people underestimate the value of privacy. I don't believe most of us understand how valuable personal information actually is. It's likely the most valuable single product out there. Everyone wants it, needs it, and uses it. The more you have, the more you know and the more money you can make.

If I knew exactly what you needed to buy and when - based on nothing more than data consolidated data sets - I would be extremely wealthy.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2023, 11:51:14 AM »
Seeing as Intuit is the owner of both (CK and Mint), nobody finds it odd that there wasn't more transparency on what you'd actually be getting from your "migration" before it happened? Now go and read those CK terms and conditions, plus user agreement. Compare with Mint. Intuit is meeting goals with that movement and it's not clear to me why they ended Mint for something so sub-par, and while giving so little details on the whole ordeal.

The Mint and Monarch cofounder explained this in his blog post. Intuit makes their money from TurboTax. They bought both Mint and CreditKarma to funnel those users toward their profitable product. CK is much much larger than Mint and they have little incentive to keep both products running separately.

They are ending Mint because they achieved their goals with it. Providing budgeting software was never their goal.

I think you are right and I also think that the budgeting data, combined with Credit Karma, and TurboTax offers a whole lotta identity leverage for one entity, don't you? From the source and use of every financial data point to the "most important payment" and everything in between. Pretty interesting picture painted there.

I think soooooo many people underestimate the value of privacy. I don't believe most of us understand how valuable personal information actually is. It's likely the most valuable single product out there. Everyone wants it, needs it, and uses it. The more you have, the more you know and the more money you can make.

If I knew exactly what you needed to buy and when - based on nothing more than data consolidated data sets - I would be extremely wealthy.

These data are very valuable in the aggregate. I doubt that any one individual's data are worth much at all, except access to ad-laden financial dashboards.

I'm still trying to understand your objection to trading away personal data. The argument is that it's a mistake because...your data provide information about you? Yeah, we all get that. So what?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 12:09:00 PM by salt cured »

WayDownSouth

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2023, 06:23:28 PM »

These data are very valuable in the aggregate. I doubt that any one individual's data are worth much at all, except access to ad-laden financial dashboards.

I'm still trying to understand your objection to trading away personal data. The argument is that it's a mistake because...your data provide information about you? Yeah, we all get that. So what?

You pointed out perfectly - the aggregate. If you're not objected to the potential use cases, then no need to worry about it.

I feel that acquiring financial freedom and early retirement through an avoidance of a specifically designed lifestyle which we're pretty much all indoctrinated into is an excellent, amazing, and incredibly interesting way of giving the finger to the established norms while improving quality of life. Basically you beat them at their own game. I think a big part of that should include non-participation in providing many of these establishments with our info as well whenever possible, because for every person who participates, they are getting more free data and building stronger data sets and profiles. A lot of that can be used for not-so-cool stuff.

I have a f*ck-ton of credit cards and bank accounts, so I know my data out there, right? I could easily admit I'm hypocritical there - but maybe not. I benefit from those accounts more than the credit card companies or banks do, so I'm pleased with the tradeoff. I win that transaction in my book because I'm using their system for free to profit. Yet, they still got my data.

I suppose in the same way you don't want to give your money to the bank in a form of interest, I don't want to give my valuable data to Intuit because for me personally that particular product has no value. Credit reports are completely free right now direct from the source. You can pull them each week. What else can CK do for me that I can't do? Save me 5 minutes? No thanks.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2023, 10:28:22 AM »

rjbf65

• Stubble
« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2023, 09:31:42 AM »
I think I'm going to go with either Tiller or Simplifi.  I hate the Credit Karma site after giving it a few days. 

I would historically use mint and make sure every transaction was categorized.  At the end of the month I would export the data to a csv file then to an excel file which I would then put that data into a google spreadsheet.  I'd break it down to the penny and send the exact amount left over to Vanguard.  The process would take a solid 30 minutes but honestly a labor of love that I looked forward to doing.  Also would update the net worth figure each month. 

Sounds like Simplifi would give me the closest experience to what Mint offered but Tiller would possibly save me some time by automatically putting things into spreadsheet form.

I'll have to watch some YouTube videos of each and make a decision which way to go. 

AnotherEngineer

• Stubble
  • MMM reader since '11, forum stalker since '15
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2023, 01:47:52 PM »
I've been using Mint since 2009 for tracking spending (not budgeting) and Empower since 2014 for net worth and its investment tools, like asset allocation in one place. (And TurboTax for taxes and Credit Karma for reporting.) I export Mint annually into a tracking spreadsheet. Looking at Empower again, I believe I can do everything I used in Mint in Empower and will give it a go in 2024. I hope classifying transactions is easy and adjustable. I've had good luck with connecting to many accounts (churning) with only a few that don't connect. I can live without a daily update on my mortgage balance.

Yes, Personal Capital and now Empower will repeatedly call you. They have my Google Voice number that doesn't ring to my phone and leave voicemails. I just have to remember when I need the TFA text.

I do like the idea of paying for a product instead of being the product, but I don't need much more than aggregating transactions, so Empower can cover me...until it goes behind a paywall or stops being reliable.  If I didn't have the history with Empower, I would probably go to something like Monarch.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2023, 02:08:44 PM »
I've been using Mint since 2009 for tracking spending (not budgeting) and Empower since 2014 for net worth and its investment tools, like asset allocation in one place. (And TurboTax for taxes and Credit Karma for reporting.) I export Mint annually into a tracking spreadsheet. Looking at Empower again, I believe I can do everything I used in Mint in Empower and will give it a go in 2024. I hope classifying transactions is easy and adjustable. I've had good luck with connecting to many accounts (churning) with only a few that don't connect. I can live without a daily update on my mortgage balance.

Yes, Personal Capital and now Empower will repeatedly call you. They have my Google Voice number that doesn't ring to my phone and leave voicemails. I just have to remember when I need the TFA text.

I do like the idea of paying for a product instead of being the product, but I don't need much more than aggregating transactions, so Empower can cover me...until it goes behind a paywall or stops being reliable.  If I didn't have the history with Empower, I would probably go to something like Monarch.

Just email the dude they assigned your account to and ask them to stop calling.

AnotherEngineer

• Stubble
  • MMM reader since '11, forum stalker since '15
« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2023, 02:29:01 PM »

Oh, I've tried that many times. I got calls from many different people and numbers. Maybe it works better with Empower than when PC was starting up.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2023, 02:55:47 PM »
Yes, Personal Capital and now Empower will repeatedly call you.

Extremely glad I went with Monarch now! I used to work for a financial advice practice and a couple of the guys I used to work for have gone on to work for Personal Capital/Empower. I'm already getting a fair amount of calls, haha.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2023, 03:11:05 PM »

Oh, I've tried that many times. I got calls from many different people and numbers. Maybe it works better with Empower than when PC was starting up.

I had my account from before it got acquired by to Empower. Never got another call, but they showed the same dude's face on my portal for the longest time.

desertadapted

• Stubble
« Reply #112 on: December 22, 2023, 01:20:16 PM »
For those who are migrating to Monarch from Mint, did you have any issues with duplicate transactions between Mint and your credit card/bank accounts?  I exported the Mint csv, which uses different categories than Monarch, resulting in transaction duplication.  The apparent fix is to do some work through Mint to change categories and do a csv file for each category.  This doesn't appear possible once you transfer to Credit Karma (which is garbage, big mistake).  Interested in what experiences Monarch (or other users) are having regarding transaction duplication after migration.

rjbf65

• Stubble
« Reply #113 on: December 22, 2023, 01:27:25 PM »
I think I'm going to go with either Tiller or Simplifi.  I hate the Credit Karma site after giving it a few days. 

I would historically use mint and make sure every transaction was categorized.  At the end of the month I would export the data to a csv file then to an excel file which I would then put that data into a google spreadsheet.  I'd break it down to the penny and send the exact amount left over to Vanguard.  The process would take a solid 30 minutes but honestly a labor of love that I looked forward to doing.  Also would update the net worth figure each month. 

Sounds like Simplifi would give me the closest experience to what Mint offered but Tiller would possibly save me some time by automatically putting things into spreadsheet form.

I'll have to watch some YouTube videos of each and make a decision which way to go.

I have officially decided on Simplifi.  Tiller is really cool but I really like having a dedicated app.  Simplifi is the closest thing to Mint for me and how I would use it.     

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: December 22, 2023, 01:32:24 PM »
For those who are migrating to Monarch from Mint, did you have any issues with duplicate transactions between Mint and your credit card/bank accounts?  I exported the Mint csv, which uses different categories than Monarch, resulting in transaction duplication.  The apparent fix is to do some work through Mint to change categories and do a csv file for each category.  This doesn't appear possible once you transfer to Credit Karma (which is garbage, big mistake).  Interested in what experiences Monarch (or other users) are having regarding transaction duplication after migration.

Yes-- legions of duplicate transactions. I had not transferred to CreditKarma but I had already deleted my Mint data and deleted the account. Every transaction that was ever split (which was a lot for me) couldn't be mapped onto its duplicate. I gave up and deleted everything that was tagged "imported from Mint"-- but this deleted all the transactions that DID automatically merge properly, and so I was left with incredibly bad data.

I am still in my 30-day free trial but I am really on the fence about whether I'm going to try to fix this, or just delete everything and start over in January. It's just not worth it to me to try to comb through years of data to get everything to match up properly.

Edited to add: I don't think it has anything to do with the categories being different -- I mapped category to category when I imported, using only Monarch's existing categories. Still got many duplicates.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #115 on: December 26, 2023, 08:13:51 AM »
We just completed our transition to Tiller and did our year-end evaluation/planning for 2024 using it. Overall, I'm pretty pleased. It's better than when I used to do things with just spreadsheets and it gives me more control than Mint did. It was more of a hassle to convert than I expected and ended up having some problems with transaction categorizations and duplications that I had to search down and correct. (Primarily because Mint used to change our transaction categorization when we weren't watching closely and the last few years have been too intense to watch that closely.)

We now have a good projection of cash flow for the coming year, which is what we want of our budget programs and the area that we felt Mint fell down on. Adding banks and credit cards is ridiculously easy with Tiller. So far, I like it.

PVD_Kev

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: December 30, 2023, 05:52:16 AM »
I moved my mint stuff to Credit Karma and I absolutely hate it so far.  Hard to find what I'm looking for.

It has only been a month, and is is $50 for a year of service, but so far Monarch has been what I always expected Mint to actually be. I recommend it if you are looking for a Mint-like interface.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2024, 09:00:16 AM »

It has only been a month, and is is $50 for a year of service, but so far Monarch has been what I always expected Mint to actually be. I recommend it if you are looking for a Mint-like interface.

I created a Monarch Money account on January 2, 2024. I like it so far. My mint account is still functioning on January 4, 2024.

rjbf65

• Stubble
« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2024, 09:07:38 AM »
Simplfi has been frustrating so far.  It will duplicate transactions and also do this weird linking thing at times.  Still going to play with it and hopefully get it all figured out but it seems to me it's trying to do too much for what I'm wanting it to do.

My mortgage payment was not showing against my cash flow until I "un-merged" the transaction.  Same with Roth IRA contributions.  I feel I'm spending much more time than I'm wanting to getting the info correct. 

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2024, 09:50:15 AM »
According to the banner notification on my Mint screen, Credit Karma will have all the same features I use in Mint: Net worth tracker, transaction tracker with categories, trending, budgets, full history, etc.

I will probably just transition over to CK, because it appears to be mostly a branding change.

My understanding though, is that if I don't like CK I'll lose the option to move my data from Mint to one of the other services mentioned here, because my Mint access will be lost. Is that a valid assumption, or is moving just as easy from CK as it is from Mint?

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2024, 09:59:10 AM »
According to the banner notification on my Mint screen, Credit Karma will have all the same features I use in Mint: Net worth tracker, transaction tracker with categories, trending, budgets, full history, etc.

I will probably just transition over to CK, because it appears to be mostly a branding change.

My understanding though, is that if I don't like CK I'll lose the option to move my data from Mint to one of the other services mentioned here, because my Mint access will be lost. Is that a valid assumption, or is moving just as easy from CK as it is from Mint?

I'm surprised to hear that the budgeting feature will continue; earlier info said it would not.

"Moving" from Mint consists of downloading a CSV of your transactions and a 2nd CSV of your account balance history to be uploaded into a new app. Whether all the same data will come through from CreditKarma, I don't know, but I would be very surprised if you can't still download it all as a CSV from CreditKarma. 

Note: The .CSV download from Mint does not preserve "notes" on transactions or indicate split transactions. Because of this, I find it likely they will also not be preserved in the move to CreditKarma. Split transactions show up in the .CSV as separate line items, which means that if you use an app that pulls account history when you add an account, they won't sync. For example, if on December 1st, you spent $20 on a credit card and split the transaction in Mint into a $2, $8, and $10 transaction, and then you add that credit card and pull account history, you will end up with $40 worth of transactions for that date.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2024, 01:44:30 PM »

I'm surprised to hear that the budgeting feature will continue; earlier info said it would not.

"Moving" from Mint consists of downloading a CSV of your transactions and a 2nd CSV of your account balance history to be uploaded into a new app. Whether all the same data will come through from CreditKarma, I don't know, but I would be very surprised if you can't still download it all as a CSV from CreditKarma. 

Note: The .CSV download from Mint does not preserve "notes" on transactions or indicate split transactions. Because of this, I find it likely they will also not be preserved in the move to CreditKarma. Split transactions show up in the .CSV as separate line items, which means that if you use an app that pulls account history when you add an account, they won't sync. For example, if on December 1st, you spent $20 on a credit card and split the transaction in Mint into a $2, $8, and $10 transaction, and then you add that credit card and pull account history, you will end up with $40 worth of transactions for that date.
These are the main complaints I'm finding in web searches too. But honestly, I don't have time to do things at that level of detail. Maybe thrice a year I go in and fix a couple of categorization errors, but I don't have time to split out my Walmart bill into "groceries" versus "shopping". So CK will probably be fine for my use case, and those features will probably be added over the next couple of years anyway. None of this is persuading me to sign up for a subscription service.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2024, 03:06:33 PM »

These are the main complaints I'm finding in web searches too. But honestly, I don't have time to do things at that level of detail. Maybe thrice a year I go in and fix a couple of categorization errors, but I don't have time to split out my Walmart bill into "groceries" versus "shopping". So CK will probably be fine for my use case, and those features will probably be added over the next couple of years anyway. None of this is persuading me to sign up for a subscription service.

No one is trying to convince you?

Also, congratulations, here is your trophy. You are officially Busiest Man.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2024, 03:55:21 AM »

Rude.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2024, 06:18:04 AM »

Rude.

Apologies, I was only aiming for "snarky."

But I mean really, @ChpBstrd , you're gonna come three pages into a thread of hardcore budget nerds and say you don't have time to split transactions? 😜

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2024, 06:56:22 AM »

Rude.

Apologies, I was only aiming for "snarky."

But I mean really, @ChpBstrd , you're gonna come three pages into a thread of hardcore budget nerds and say you don't have time to split transactions? 😜

I am certainly not the busiest person and I definitely don't have time to split transactions based on the category of the item purchased.  I probably did that more when I was starting out and focused on identifying spending and reducing the outflow of cash.

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2024, 07:07:08 AM »
In case anybody procrastinated like me, Mint is still accessible at the moment (and appears to be continuing to update transactions and at least some account balances -- Fidelity is dead unless you reload it, which I am not going to bother with).

No idea how long it will be before it disappears entirely, so get your CSV files while you can...

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2024, 07:21:30 AM »
The email I received from Mint trying to convince me to shift to Credit Karma said my account in Mint will continue to be available until 3/24.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2024, 07:39:56 AM »

I am certainly not the busiest person and I definitely don't have time to split transactions based on the category of the item purchased.  I probably did that more when I was starting out and focused on identifying spending and reducing the outflow of cash.

Sounds like it's not a matter of time then; it's a matter of taste or priority, which is perfectly fine, but not about time. 

I was sharing information about what is and is not preserved in the .CSV for people who convert. Everyone uses these apps for different purposes. I split several transactions a month, sometimes to sort things out across categories but mostly because some of my expenses are shared with a co-parent (health insurance for our child, after-school care, school fees) and being able to easily total the reimbursable category on a monthly basis was very useful. But it introduced a lot of duplicate transactions when transitioning between apps. Five years of a few split transactions a month is a lot of duplication.

I have plenty of time to reconcile it, but I am choosing not to because it's too boring.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2024, 08:07:52 AM »
Yes, Personal Capital and now Empower will repeatedly call you.

Extremely glad I went with Monarch now! I used to work for a financial advice practice and a couple of the guys I used to work for have gone on to work for Personal Capital/Empower. I'm already getting a fair amount of calls, haha.

I went back to Empower recently after I left it due to account linking issues they had.  Much more impressed now...their account linking has come a long way.  The only annoyance now is the overabundance of dubious "advice" on the site based on your "market allocation".  For instance, I have an overabundance of cash right now due to cashing out some recent stock trades and they won't shut up about it.  I "get it"...but I'm sitting with my cash in a HYSA for a reason right now...and they don't let me turn the "advice" off.  Oh well...the "advice" is likely good for average joe investor...

I'm not really bothered by the "advisor" calls either.  Why? - I don't answer calls I don't recognize. 

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2024, 08:29:02 AM »
In case anybody procrastinated like me, Mint is still accessible at the moment (and appears to be continuing to update transactions and at least some account balances -- Fidelity is dead unless you reload it, which I am not going to bother with).

No idea how long it will be before it disappears entirely, so get your CSV files while you can...

Reloading doesn't work, I tried a couple of times, so don't even bother, for anyone else reading.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2024, 01:26:39 PM »
As an update on Fidelity Full View, I've been visiting the "new experience" version that they are improving and I am very happy with it.  My accounts refresh more quickly than they did in Mint and a couple the never connected or needed a security code to refresh are connecting and updating automatically.  I like it better than Mint at this point, but can't seem to edit multiple transactions at once, which is annoying.  Hopefully that changes, or maybe I'm not see it.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2024, 06:52:13 PM »
As an update on Fidelity Full View, I've been visiting the "new experience" version that they are improving and I am very happy with it.  My accounts refresh more quickly than they did in Mint and a couple the never connected or needed a security code to refresh are connecting and updating automatically.  I like it better than Mint at this point, but can't seem to edit multiple transactions at once, which is annoying.  Hopefully that changes, or maybe I'm not see it.

Are you sure you are using the new version and not the original version of Full View?

I got a call from a Fidelity guy today. I guess they noticed that the majority of my assets are not at Fidelity. :D

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2024, 05:07:20 AM »

Are you sure you are using the new version and not the original version of Full View?

I just started using Full View so I can't be 100% on what is original v. new, but they have message that says to click on "this link" for the new experience and I've been clicking on the link.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #134 on: February 05, 2024, 07:08:47 AM »
I've still not moved - I only use Mint these days to check my monthly totals.
I might just move to Karma due to laziness and not wanting to pay anything. I've not been using the budget feature in Mint for years, once I realized we are pretty ingrained now to be budget minded, I let go of the reins.
Can someone or other tell me NO don't do it, or yeah that is fine? I've read half this thread and glanced at the BH worksheet to come to my conclusion.

SpinWave0704

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2024, 12:03:49 AM »
This thread has been super informative; thanks for sharing the useful info! :-)

Also: I logged into Mint today, and I saw a message; "Mint is moving to Credit Karma in 30 days", and I still have no idea what I should do. :-(

My top choices are Credit Karma and Tiller.

I've been a Mint user for 10+ years. Like some of you, like @therethere, I've used Mint primarily to track spending after aggregating 7 bank accounts and 5 CCs. I don't use Mint to track net worth or investments (I use Vanguard to track investments.)
  • I've never used Credit Karma, but CK is my top choice because… it's free. I'm not particularly concerned about ads or user privacy at Credit Karma. However, occasionally, I've split transactions on Mint and more often, I've added notes to transactions - it seems like some of this data will be lost and/or be duplicated if I use Credit Karma.
  • I already export all the Mint transactions into a Google Sheet every few months to create my own pivot tables, charts, sanitized sheets for calculated savings rates and FI date, etc; so Tiller seems to be a good choice for me - but I hate paying the $80 annual subscription fee.
  • There's been positive feedback on Monarch, but I don't see anything that Monarch does (for my use case) at $100/yr that I can't get from Tiller at $80/yr. 
  • I don't have any active accounts on Fidelity, so all the data connectivity issues some Fidelity users are experiencing are moot for me.

Anything else I should be considering?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 12:36:08 PM by SpinWave0704 »

kenner

• Stubble
« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2024, 03:32:54 AM »

Also: I logged into Mint today, and I saw a message; "Mint is moving to Credit Karma in 30 days", and I still have no idea what I should do. :-(

I've been a Mint user for 10+ years. Like some of you, like @therethere, I've used Mint primarily to track spending after aggregating 7 bank accounts and 5 CCs. I don't use Mint to track net worth or investments (I use Vanguard to track investments.)
  • I've never used Credit Karma, but CK is my top choice because… it's free. I'm not particularly concerned about ads or user privacy at Credit Karma. However, occasionally, I've split transactions on Mint and more often, I've added notes to transactions - it seems like some of this data will be lost and/or be duplicated if I use Credit Karma.
  • I already export all the Mint transactions into a Google Sheet every few months to create my own pivot tables, charts, sanitized sheets for calculated savings rates and FI date, etc; so Tiller seems to be a good choice for me - but I hate paying the $80 annual subscription fee.
  • There's been positive feedback on Monarch, but I don't see anything that Monarch does (for my use case) at $100/yr that I can't get from Tiller at $80/yr. 

For transaction tracking I've been thus far fairly happy with Simplifi (Quicken) if you're still considering other options.  I got it when it was free for a year if you imported at least one set of transactions from Mint, not sure if that's still available but I think they also had a regular 30-60 day trial period, and after that ~$50/yr (I also didn't bother to import more than one card, and I chose the one with the least data possible since I do long-term trend tracking in my own spreadsheets and don't care about individual specifics from 10 years ago; if you want everything imported that would be more of a headache).  Thus far it's been just about as good for transaction tracking/categorization month-to-month which is my primary use case, although the 'recurring bill' tracking still needs some work and occasionally pops up a phantom payment that I need to manually clear out.  Not sure I won't eventually switch to Fidelity Full View if they get it a little more functional/stable, but for now it seemed like the best aggregator option for the lowest cost.

JJ-

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #137 on: February 24, 2024, 07:15:56 AM »

I mentioned it up thread, rocket money has a simple free version that does everything mint did for tracking spending. Their premium version is $50/yr with some extra stuff that may or may not be worth your money.

SpinWave0704

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2024, 09:57:24 AM »
Thanks @kenner and @JJ-. I'm going to try the free version of Rocket Money and see how it does. Appreciate the advice!

SpinWave0704

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2024, 10:30:48 AM »
Update 1: I created an account with Rocket Money.

Pros (so far):
  • It took only1 hour to connect most of my accounts. Plaid worked really well - way better than Yodlee, which I've used in the past.

Cons (so far):
  • It's not free. It costs a minimum of $4 to be able to export transactions into my Google Sheet, which is a critical feature for me. I didn't read the fine print and didn't realize that upfront.
  • I can't connect with HealthEquity (HSA account). Not a lot of funds in that account, so it's not a big deal.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 03:34:02 PM by SpinWave0704 »

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2024, 02:57:01 PM »
CreditKarma won't work for me because I live outside the US.  I could possibily use a VPN
to work around the issue, but I'm not going to bother.

Yesterday I switched to NerdWallet, which seems to work fine for my purposes. Basically
I just want an aggregator that let's me quickly view the balances of all my accounts. I don't
need it for budgeting purposes.  NerdWallet can link TreasuryDirect and accounts that use
Symantec's VIP 2FA, which were problematic with Mint.

For your amusement, here are two notifications I received from Mint last month:

1. This month you spent $126 on Gas & Fuel. This exceeds your budget by $56. (I don't own a car.)

2. This month you spent $20 on Alcohol. (I don't drink.)

JJ-

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2024, 06:23:57 PM »

Pros (so far):
  • It took only1 hour to connect most of my accounts. Plaid worked really well - way better than Yodlee, which I've used in the past.

Cons (so far):
  • It's not free. It costs a minimum of $4 to be able to export transactions into my Google Sheet, which is a critical feature for me. I didn't read the fine print and didn't realize that upfront.
  • I can't connect with HealthEquity (HSA account). Not a lot of funds in that account, so it's not a big deal.

Sorry about the exports. I don't use it so I was unaware that it is a premium feature.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #142 on: February 24, 2024, 07:59:30 PM »
We're using Empower (aka Personal Capital in a prior life) for now. It's not as good as Mint, we did some specific line item budgeting for our fun money accounts that will be annoying to do manually, but it's functional enough that we don't feel the need to pay for something else.

SpinWave0704

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #143 on: February 25, 2024, 12:40:54 PM »

Pros (so far):

Cons (so far):

Sorry about the exports. I don't use it so I was unaware that it is a premium feature.

No apology needed, @JJ- - I appreciate your input.

Update 2: I created an account with the Credit Karma via the Mint migration, to see how CK works.

Cons (so far):
    • I was aware of the issue with duplicate transactions, but I thought it would limited to specific types of transactions, like split transactions, manually entered transactions, etc. NOPE. I have 40% of duplicates transactions on CK - too many for me to weed through and reconcile with my original transactions from Mint.
    • Dumb question, but does CK even display transactions, like Mint? It looks like CK is only displaying my credit score and net worth, similar to what @rjbf65 reported. This is not at all what I expected from CK, unless it's user error on my part.
      • Do you think the duplicate transactions on CK is limited to the Mint migrated transactions? If so, no big deal - I have an original list of transactions from Mint, and I can add to the new (non-duped) transactions on CK, onto a Google Sheet.
      • OTOH, if CK doesn't display transactions, or is going to continue to duplicate transactions, without any rhyme or reason, whenever I want to export my transactions, then CK doesn't work for my use case.
    • CK requires you to enter a ton of PII data (understandable, if they are pulling credit reports), and a mobile phone number, and it can't be a VOIP number; grr.

Pros (so far):
    • ... still thinking if there are any...
    [/list]
    « Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 12:55:57 PM by SpinWave0704 »

bluecollarmusician

• Pencil Stache
    • You call this a Fi(re)?
    « Reply #144 on: March 08, 2024, 10:07:20 PM »
    Any long term Quicken users here?

I have been using Mint and Empower for about a decade.  Mostly Mint- I always liked the look of Personal Capital (Empower I mean) but Mint just worked better, and trying to manage transactions in both just wasn't worth it.

I like the idea of being able to manage by business and rental stuff so I thought I would give Quicken a try, but am already wondering if I should have just stuck with Empower (and I may still.)

I just thought Quicken might make tax time a little easier.  But it doesn't seem to track Investment Income (at least on Mac) something that Empower does effortlessly.

Am I asking too much?   

Maybe I should have saved the money on Quicken, but I also thought I might be able to save my decade of data from Mint- but so far that has proven to be more trouble than it is worth.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
    « Reply #145 on: March 10, 2024, 11:33:29 AM »
    I moved to CK today. The ads are annoying but I can skip those by going straight to /networth.

Cons:
    * As mentioned, they ask for a lot of PII data and don't accept a VOIP number. I don't care about their credit report feature but there's no way to turn it off.
    * The balance due doesn't list cents. That's how I make payments so it adds an extra step -- I'll have to logon to the card bank and find out the exact amount.

Pros:
    * It's free and it does what I need it to do. Cards and their transactions are listed.
    * CK sometimes has a $50 acceptance guarantee if you apply for a card through them. Steps: 1) Check DOC; 2) See if the sign up offer is the same on CK and if CK offers a guarantee; 3) If so, sign up through the CK link. This might actually get me $50 on occasion because, with 20+ cards and a lot of inquiries, I do get denied sometimes; 4) Profit.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
    « Reply #146 on: March 13, 2024, 11:01:06 AM »
    I just did the switch to Credit Karma.  I'm confused.  It only shows my net worth and my credit score.  If I search it will list my accounts.  But I'm not seeing my transactions.  It looks just like a bunch of stuff they want me to sign up for.  Like they want me to get loans and credit cards and savings accounts.  It's all offers for stuff. 

I need a list of accounts with balances and transactions.  I have a family of 4 with each of us making transactions.  I need to know how much is in each account, what is owed, who paid for what, when did I pay for that doctor's appt, how much was that thing I bought 6 months ago, what's in the retirement account, did that bill get paid, etc.  How do I get this?  Ugh.

SpinWave0704

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    « Reply #147 on: March 13, 2024, 11:08:27 AM »
    Same confusion for me, @DeniseNJ. As @rjbf65 reported, CK is only displaying my credit score and net worth; it doesn't display transactions.

RocketMoney is... not great but OK.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
    « Reply #148 on: March 13, 2024, 11:32:42 AM »
    Your transactions aren't listed on https://www.creditkarma.com/networth, at the bottom?

Transactions aren't listed by card, like in Mint. It's all one list, with the card in the transaction details.

Eta: https://www.creditkarma.com/networth/transactions has a list of all transactions instead of the most recent 3.
    « Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 11:37:57 AM by bacchi »

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
    « Reply #149 on: March 13, 2024, 01:23:32 PM »
    Your transactions aren't listed on https://www.creditkarma.com/networth, at the bottom?

Transactions aren't listed by card, like in Mint. It's all one list, with the card in the transaction details.

Eta: https://www.creditkarma.com/networth/transactions has a list of all transactions instead of the most recent 3.

Ah yes.  Thanks.  If you click on net worth then keep scrolling down it shows the transactions.  If you click the transaction it shows which card made it.  Good.  Thanks.