Author Topic: Menstrual Cups  (Read 106091 times)

cbgg

• Stubble
Re: Menstrual Cups
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2014, 06:28:01 PM »
I used a Diva cup for years.  Bought it online for ~$35 and it seems like it will last...forever?

Four years ago I got a Progesterone Only IUD (Mirena) and now I don't have to deal with that anymore.  So that's pretty excellent.  But the cup is vastly superior to other products.  Cheaper, cleaner, safer, and only needs to be dealt with 2x per day.

bicoastalblues

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2014, 12:33:05 PM »
Just wondering, have any of you ladies told any other friends about menstrual cups? I have a small group of friends that all know--it came up in conversation this weekend, but I'm not sure about the others. Is this something you would ever bring up?

I love my Diva cup, I've had mine for about 3 years now can hardly feel mine when it's in. So I told one friend who was interested about it but she gets a lot of leakage issues so she's not into it. I wish I could tell more people but the gross out factor made some friends uncomfortable. I can't imagine going back to pads or tampons though, those seem like they're far more unsanitary now!

When I change it at work I usually tip the contents into the toilet, wrap it in a bit of tissue, go to the sink to wash it out and then go back to the stall to put it back in. It's a bit more complex but not having to change a tampon several times a day is so worth it. I find it's also easier to change it when I shower since it all goes down the drain anyway and you can wash the cup and replace before you get out.

I'm curious about the half hydrogen peroxide and water trick. I usually just put it in the sink with the stopper up and pour boiling water over it when I finish my cycle and rinse it with hand soap and water during.

exceljunkie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2014, 01:39:21 PM »
I found it in the frugal living for dummies!
http://www.amazon.com/Frugal-Living-Dummies-Deborah-Taylor-Hough/dp/0764554034

I finally received my cup and cannot wait to try it!!

Thanks, I'll be adding this to my library list! Hope all goes smoothly with the new cup. It wasn't very comfortable at first (I was using pads back then, not tampons), then I tried it again a year or two later and have never looked back. Also, I know there are resources out there, but I didn't know how to place it properly before and had leakage issues, but now that I know, it works great.

GeneralJinjur

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2014, 10:04:13 AM »
If trimming the stem off doesn't help, you can also flip the cup inside out and use it that way. I have a few friends who do this with their Diva Cup and they are now as happy with it as I am. I bought my first cup almost 10 years ago and you couldn't pay me to go back to pads or tampons!

KarenK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2014, 11:22:49 AM »
Oh my, I love this thread! Signed up for my account today to put up a Ting referral credit post and then I saw this...

I am not a fan of the Diva cup, found it to be super uncomfortable and difficult to use, but I did only give it a few days and didn't try much "tweaking" with it.  I use homemade cloth pads now and love them! As an added benefit that I don't think I saw mentioned, avoiding commercial pads/tampons will reduce the volume and duration of flow for many women and can help alleviate cramping and pain.

MrsPotts

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2014, 02:06:09 PM »
An ablation is pretty nifty, too.  ;)

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2014, 12:06:36 PM »
For discomfort with the DC, make sure the "tail" bit is trimmed very close. If any is left besides a tiny bit to grab onto it can chafe.

Other than that bit, the DC is great. Bought one from a health food store and I've replaced it twice in six years. (Left one in a travel bag and threw it out, another I had for a few years and wasn't sure it was able to be getting fully cleaned when I had a couple yeast infections. Better to infrequently replace than worry beyond reasonable cleaning I think.

The "all-in-one" washrooms with a sink when out are the best option for cleaning. But if none is available, washing my hands first, then going in the stall and just emptying it/wiping it out works fine. 

girly mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2014, 12:16:16 PM »
I love my Diva Cup (yes, I cut the stem) - only problem is that I sometimes forget I'm using one.... I wish I had found this 20 years ago!

Fleacircus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2014, 07:19:25 PM »
I really like the Diva cup, but it did have a significant learning curve.

If you have trimmed off the entire stem and it's still uncomfortable to wear, you can turn it inside out and use it that way, with the smooth side out.  This does make it more difficult to grasp.

If insertion is uncomfortable, try a different fold technique.  You can see demonstrations of these on Youtube.  I use a punch down fold, insert, and then do some hula hoop motions to ensure that it's fully open.

exceljunkie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2014, 02:46:31 PM »
I use a punch down fold, insert, and then do some hula hoop motions to ensure that it's fully open.

ROFL :) that made my day

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2014, 10:30:42 AM »
The comments here inspired me to give the Diva Cup another try.  I had my Mirena removed recently, and the cup is amazing.  It took some getting used to, but no leaks at all, even during a 12 hour shift. 

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2014, 08:46:45 PM »
Mine needed replacing and I tossed it out six months ago. I was putting off getting one again because of the upfront cost.

This post reminded me I would be saving money over time, so I got another today! Thanks to those here for posting/discussing

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2014, 12:12:40 PM »
I bought The Keeper about 20 years ago, and it was a wonderful money-saver.  I don't remember how I became aware of it, but I didn't buy it right away because I was trying to have a baby and didn't want to buy the "before baby" model and then have to change to an "after baby" model.  It cost about $30 then, so it did take some time to recoup the cost.   

After the baby was born and I was recovered, I bought The Keeper, and I had trouble learning to use it -- I realized later that I was having trouble inserting it and having it "open up".  The packaging suggested practicing on "light days", which was good advice.  I needed several months to learn to use it well, but once I did . . . well, I won't say I loved it because I've never loved any feminine hygiene product, but I found it much more convenient and comfortable than disposable products.  I often had slight pain with tampons, but since this does not touch the cervix, that was not a problem.  I could empty it once in the morning and once at night, and in between I didn't think about it at all.  Once I became proficient with The Keeper (and I emphasize again, that didn't happen overnight), I could do it in seconds and with no mess whatsoever -- literally, no mess.  The two secrets are to keep the whole procedure over the toilet and NOT to remove the product completely, but just to edge it out and spill the contents -- practice makes perfect.  I wouldn't wear it with white pants, but neither would I wear white pants "at that time of the month" with any other product. 

The best part:  No need to carry supplies. 
The worst part:  Never having been particularly regular, I was sometimes surprised at work and had to keep supplies in my desk.  Being forced to resort to disposable products on those days made me inordinately unhappy.

I used it with great success for 17-18 years.  I washed it by hand with dish soap at the end of each month's cycle, but never sanitized it in any way.  Oh, the money I didn't spend after that initial $30 investment! 

Then -- slowly -- I began to have some female issues, and suddenly The Keeper wasn't "enough" anymore -- and I had other problematic symptoms too.  Eventually surgery took away the whole problem, and I don't miss that part of my life AT ALL.  However, before those medical issues, The Keeper was an ideal product. 

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2014, 02:01:53 PM »
I had never heard of the Diva Cup until this thread.  I recently bought one and don't even realize it's in!  Thanks for this life changing recommendation.

EarlyQuit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2014, 05:59:39 PM »
I also have never heard about this magical device until this thread. Bought it right after reading all of your posts, so far used it during one monthly cycle. It did take me a couple of days to figure some things out, but even with that learning curve, my life has been changed for the better forever. Every woman needs to know about this.

thecornercat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2014, 06:34:17 PM »
Also love this thread! I discovered the Diva Cup in university as well. I used my first one for five years and decided to replace because of the yellowing. Purely cosmetic reasons: I'm sure it would have lasted longer. I ordered my current one from well.ca -- free shipping.

I use liners on the first couple days, though, just in case of leaks. I'm considering investing in washable cloth liners--there wouldn't be much washing involved, really, since I wear the liners for peace of mind. Just figured that's one more way of being good to the environment + plus saving $.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2014, 06:54:20 PM »
I'm considering investing in washable cloth liners--

I have a name for those.  I call them black underwear.

exceljunkie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2014, 08:52:33 AM »
Yes, just like overconsumption, I feel like there's a negative cycle (ha) with tampon/pad alternatives.  The alternative is in the minority so people are less comfortable talking about it, therefore fewer people know about it, therefore it becomes even more of a minority, etc.

So I say, talk about it just to spread the word.  I only ever knew women who talked about it because they had problems with traditional methods (too heavy, cramping, etc.) and I figured since those methods worked fine for me, it wasn't worth the bother of changing.  But the cup is totally more comfortable!  (Possibly TMI, but there's a great advantage if you have light periods because you can empty it out and immediately put it back in, whereas with tampons, taking one out tends to leave things, um, kind of too... dry to immediately put another one in.)

That's good advice from Monkey about taking advantage of the 8-12 hours between changes so you can just do it at home when you first start.

Funny story about that and male attitudes.  When I got it I was telling my SO about how awesome it is and for some reason something I say makes him think I haven't emptied it out that day and he's like, "You have to empty it out at least every twelve hours."
And I'm like, "Oh, I know, I did--wait, how do you know that."
"I was, uh, in the bathroom and needed some reading material."
"So you chose my menstrual cup instructions."
"It was that or the Ayn Rand book you had in there."
Okay, well, maybe it's not that funny.  I thought it was funny.

Hehehe...

exceljunkie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2014, 08:57:46 AM »
I had never heard of the Diva Cup until this thread.  I recently bought one and don't even realize it's in!  Thanks for this life changing recommendation.

Glad to hear it is working out for you!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2014, 06:01:48 AM »
I'm considering investing in washable cloth liners--

I have a name for those.  I call them black underwear.
Ha ha, that's what I do for every day of the month!  Hate the look of stains.

Also, the washable cloth liners are super easy to make, 2 layers of flannel (dark color) in a circle with snaps sewed onto opposite sides.  If you want it thicker add another 1-2 layers of flannel or even a layer of an old towel just in the important area.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2014, 05:43:37 AM »
I've had my DivaCup for five years now and love it. Has anyone replaced theirs from it just being old? On the website they used to say you could wait 10 years to replace it, but now it says you should replace it once a year. Mine seems to still be going strong but I'm curious when I should get a new one. Anyone else experience this?
When I first starting looking into the Mooncup, they had a lifetime guarantee. Then it was changed to 10 years. Hadn't heard about it now being only one year. Even replacing it after 10 years sounded to me like a profit-driven idea. I've used mine for a few years now and am fast heading for 40 so I don't plan on getting another one (unless I lose it or something) - I reckon within another ten years or so I shouldn't need it at all. Although with all the fancy colours and variations available now, it's tempting sometimes. I quite fancy a deep purple one, actually.

By the way, there is another thread on this topic: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/for-the-ladies-only/ - is it possible to merge threads? This one didn't come up when I searched for Mooncup (I'd forgotten that Diva cup and Keeper are more popular brands in North America).

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2014, 06:24:04 AM »
Thank you all for risking the accusation of "over-sharing" and starting this topic.  I had seen and even heard of these alternatives but hadn't really considered it an option until my MMM ladies chimed in.  Bought a DC on amazon and have now used it through 3 cycles now, and while heavy days are a little challenging in the leak department, the rest of the week is fantastic!  I'm swimming during my period...which I haven't done in easily decades!  MMM forum saved my summer! 

calsurb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2014, 07:59:43 PM »
I scrub the bejesus out of my Diva Cup with the pumice stone in the shower. It gets clean as a whistle after each cycle. I wish there was a 'lady parts' campaign so we women could share freely with our friends and family about the awesome cups that are out there. It seems so hush hush nowadays.

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2014, 03:53:23 PM »
My behind got chafed/chapped from disposable pads, so I switched to cloth 4-5 years ago (from http://partypantspads.com/).  I heard about cups here, and decided to give it one a try.  After some research, I chose the Lunette, bought it from Amazon, and I've used it for two periods now.  It cuts way down on the changing and hand-laundering, so YAY.  Sure, I can feel it, but it's not bad.  Thank god for the stem, or that thing would be a permanent fixture!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2014, 03:54:12 AM »
Another thing I think I should mention on this thread is using a sea sponge during period sex. You can get them as natural/reusable alternatives to tampons online or at natural foods cooperatives. I put it in before a date and leave it in during sex. The nice thing is that it blocks blood but allows for natural lubrication. There have been times when I haven't told the guy I'm dating that it's in there and he doesn't even notice. It is a little hard to get it out if your period is pretty light, and it's kind of gross if you're not using condoms. I've done both, though, and it's not a big deal either way. I keep intending to sew a string into mine for easier removal and keep forgetting.

Anyways, this strategy totally improved my sex life. I've been doing it for years and don't really know what other ladies do on their periods for sex besides abstain (yeah right) or just make a mess (ew).

Just thought I'd pipe up on the sex thing. I get crampier the more aroused I get when I have my period, so I'm a little jealous of you! I end up abstaining for most of my period.

Seeing another one of these threads has inspired me to get around to getting some reusable pads, don't think I'd find a cup thing comfortable as yet (tight pelvic muscles :( )

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2014, 07:23:35 AM »
I only started my foray into cups this year, but while it's not always the perfect solution, I have a good impression so far.

Seeing another one of these threads has inspired me to get around to getting some reusable pads, don't think I'd find a cup thing comfortable as yet (tight pelvic muscles :( )

If you ever decide to try, you may find these charts helpful for a quick overview, but also read individual cup reviews as well.

http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com/cup-stiffness-comparison-chart/
http://menstrualcups.wordpress.com/2010/08/19/cup-size-comparison-charts/

I did a fair amount of reading about different cups, because I've never even ever successfully inserted a tampon, so I wanted to make sure I get something that I have the best chance of actually using. I ended up getting a small Fleurcup, it was one of the more affordable ones as well, they ship to Australia, and they have discounts from time to time. :)

MichikoMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2014, 01:32:05 AM »
I love my IUD and my cup! I have mirena now because although I loved non-hormonal IUDs the extra bleeding and cramps were terrible. I just rinse/empty my cup once a day in the shower then after my cycle I put my cup in a place where it can get tons of sun which bleaches it out and disinfects it too. I will try the hydrogen peroxide method too though.

And kinda off topic, but my new "feminine" money saving device is my creaclip! Beautiful, quick and easy layered haircuts at home! I paid $30 for the whole deal (with scissors  but not the creaclip ones) and it was paid for after one hair cut. (I used to pay $45/hair cut plus tip!)

Cheshires_Coins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2014, 09:59:47 PM »
I have a Jadelle implant in my arm (it's like a light version of the hormonal pill in two little rubbery matchsticks) that was entirely free (subsidised in NZ, only doctor's fees for implantation but I got it inserted at a free sexual health clinic) because I am terrible with timing and got major moodswings on account of fluctuating hormone levels throughout the day. It will last five years, and the new one can be inserted during the same procedure to remove the old one. Constant hormone levels, can hardly see or feel it, only mild bruising, and no copper lightning rod vagina for me! (this is me joking).
And I have just acquired a Lunette menstrual cup and a few reusable cloth liners, as I am going to be overseas for a few months, don't want to have to work out what brand of product works best, don't want to have to figure out how to dispose of them, sick of contributing to landfill. If I ever have a kid I'm doing the cloth nappies thing.
Also, to reiterate what someone has said above, soft sponges are great for sex during menstruation if you are a heavy bleeder (light bleed, they probably won't notice or care anyway). Haven't used a sea sponge yet, but have had success with 'soft tampons' which are disposeable synthetic sponges. A sea sponge is likely to be my next purchase.

ENL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2014, 08:21:42 PM »
So excited to see this topic addressed.  I have been using a lunette cup (purchased from an eco-friendly baby/kid store) for about a year now and love it.  I have no one to tell because I only have a few female friends and they already think I'm some kind of hippie dippie weirdo, so my recommendation would likely just fall on deaf (and grossed-out) ears.

I see most things have already been covered in the comments but I wanted to add...

Leakage/Discomfort with Diva Cup:  If you like the idea of using a cup but have had leaking/discomfort with the Diva Cup, I recommend trying another brand before giving up.  Every vagina is special snowflake and what might work for one lady wouldn't necessarily work for another.  I believe that the Diva Cup is the among the biggest cups on the market and if it is too big for you it might be pushing too hard against the vaginal wall (discomfort) or not opening completely because there is not enough room (leakage).  Check out and compare the Diva Cup to other brands and pay attention to the diameter and length.  If you are a virgin, have a prolapsed uterus or another reason to not have much space down there, you might even want the ultra small Lunette "Model 1" or equivalent of another brand.

Feeling OH so much better:  I never noticed before switching to the cup, then switching back to tampons for a few months (to "finish up" my tampons) that the tampons had been chafing my insides every month and making me itchy and uncomfortable.  All of a sudden with the cup I felt "better" during my period and couldn't quite figure out why.  then I switched back and was like, "oh yeah I was itchy and sore before and never realized it because I thought that was the way it was with periods."  I literally do not even feel like I'm on my period anymore when I have the cup in.

Cleaning:  I clean the cup thoroughly with Cetaphil and then boil in a normal pot that we use for cooking.  If husband asks what I'm doing I just say "sterilizing stuff" and he just nods and stops caring.  I put the pot in the dishwasher afterwards and am not worried about it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 08:31:56 PM by Evil Number Lady »

Dumb blonde

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2014, 02:45:30 AM »
I have both a Keeper and a Diva Cup. I stopped using the keeper because I was afraid I was going to develop an allergy for rubber (I have lots of allergies already, don't need another one, plus an allergy for rubber means an allergy for latex: condoms and so forth). I have used the Diva Cup on and off for about 8 years now. I don't use it at night (leakage). Sometimes I can wear it and not even notice it, in other months it's not comfortable and I can feel the stem. After reading these comments I'm going to trim it down again a little bit. The Diva Cup is ideal for swimming, since I had my 3rd child a tampon fills up with water when I swim, the Diva Cup doesn't.

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2014, 12:54:57 PM »
If trimming the stem off doesn't help, you can also flip the cup inside out and use it that way. I have a few friends who do this with their Diva Cup and they are now as happy with it as I am. I bought my first cup almost 10 years ago and you couldn't pay me to go back to pads or tampons!

I second this!!! I trimmed the stem on mine and if still felt too long. I turned it inside out and it is much more comfortable!!

To add to the list of gross things men say about them- my husband calls it a vagina bucket.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2014, 10:43:12 PM »
Someone on another board mentioned that the "disposable" Instead Softcup is more than sturdy enough to be considered a durable good.

It can be washed out and reused like the Diva, etc.

CVS sells them for ~$10 for 12. If the $40 initial investment in the Diva seems like too much of a risk, you might want to try using a Softcup first.

thecornercat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2014, 09:30:07 AM »
It's hard for me to think of a Diva Cup as a risk since I've been using it for more than six years now. I replaced it once for cosmetic reasons (it can get discolored) but I didn't even have to do that. Not sure this is available for Americans, but Canadians can order it online at well.ca -- free shipping.

lemondirgopie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2014, 11:36:53 AM »
So there are actually a ton of other options aside from the Keeper and Diva Cup. I use the Fleurcup (http://www.fleurcup.com/en) which I prefer 1000x to the Diva Cup. I never could really get comfortable with the Diva Cup. Everyone is shaped differently and some people may find the Diva super comfortable, while other will need to do more research. I still keep the Diva as a emergency backup, but LOVE my Fleurcup.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but there's a great group on Livejournal that discusses every detail about menstural cups you could imagine. See their sidebar for all the available cups out there: http://menstrual-cups.livejournal.com/

I also have an IUD (copper) and can't believe that more people don't use these options. It just makes life so much simpler.

Oh, and for anyone dealing with discolored cups: hydrogen peroxide is your friend. Soak for a few hours and it looks brand new.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2014, 11:46:19 PM »
To add to the list of gross things men say about them- my husband calls it a vagina bucket.

I really want to make a penis wear mine like a little hat.  The Penile Toque.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2014, 07:27:25 AM »

I really want to make a penis wear mine like a little hat.  The Penile Toque.

LOL!!!!

lemondirgopie, I'm intrigued that you use a menstrual cup AND the copper IUD. I've been curious about the copper IUD for a while since I love the idea of non-hormonal birth control that you don't really have to think about, but I always heard you weren't supposed to use a menstrual cup with an IUD, and I'm totally hooked on my Diva Cup and not going back :) did your gynecologist say anything about it/have you been using it a while with no problems??

lemondirgopie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2014, 09:45:18 AM »
lemondirgopie, I'm intrigued that you use a menstrual cup AND the copper IUD. I've been curious about the copper IUD for a while since I love the idea of non-hormonal birth control that you don't really have to think about, but I always heard you weren't supposed to use a menstrual cup with an IUD, and I'm totally hooked on my Diva Cup and not going back :) did your gynecologist say anything about it/have you been using it a while with no problems??

So when I was doing my research for the IUD I read lots of conflicting things on the internet. While there seemed to be a consensus that it was totally safe, there didn't seem to be a lot of research on it and there are still plenty of doctors that say otherwise. I asked my doctor at the time and she said it was safe. Since the copper IUD does initially make your period heavier (and therefore there is a SLIGHTLY higher risk that it could expel) I didn't use my cup for a little while after I got my IUD (a few months) until my period felt like it stabilized to a somewhat normal amount. I did have one scare where I thought that my IUD was expelling (this was about a year in) when I took out my cup at one point. A visit to the GYN for an ultrasound found that it was safe and sound.

I'm pretty convinced that, at least in my body, my IUD is well in there. I've since used a way of taking out the cup that reduces the suction on the cervix. Instead of just pulling it out, like I used to, I bear down then break the seal with a finger over the top of the rim. I've had the IUD for I think 6 years now and haven't had any problems, really.

That being said, the internet is absolutely filled with n=1 accounts (along with plenty of horror stories) and I realize that I'm just adding to that. Unfortunately the only way to figure out if it will work for you is to try it out. Do your research but take everything with a boulder of salt as it is extremely easy to get freaked out by people.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2014, 11:03:27 AM »

I also have the copper IUD and use a cup.  I didn't even consider that they might be a problem together, but during the visit to my doc in which she inserted the IUD I mentioned that I use a cup and she didn't bring up any problems with that.  I've never had an issue with it.  As lemondirgopie says, I take care to break the seal before pulling it all the way out but that's about it, and I've had the IUD for about a year.
The IUD has made my periods much heavier, but I think some of that might just be that it's new, and some of it might be because I've been breastfeeding?  Not sure.  (Apparently there are some unfortunate women who get their periods back immediately after childbirth, and I am one of them.  Even breastfeeding didn't change that.)
I did have one check to make sure the IUD was still in place, but that's because I had a 2 1/2 week-long period and wanted to make sure I wasn't having a miscarriage or something.  (I wasn't, and it wasn't because of the IUD either.)

I got the copper IUD because hormonal birth control is absolutely miserable for me.  If that's the case for you too, it's worth looking into.  The heavier periods are well worth the trade-offs for me.

Kaptain

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2015, 10:39:03 AM »
I just ordered a MeLuna based on a friend's recommendation.  They have lots of different sizes and handle options, even a couple colors. 

I trialed the Instead Softcups for a few months and liked it (you're supposed to use it for one cycle then trash it - though I may have used it a bit longer) so felt ready to take the plunge with a longer term product.  I'm really psyched, and can't believe I'm only finding out about these at the age of 35!

mrshudson

• Stubble
« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2015, 10:55:49 AM »
I'm trying to convince all my friends to take it up, but doctors in Australia seem a little reluctant to prescribe the Mirena to women who haven't had children yet. I had zero issues but a few of my friends have been talked out of it in favour of Implanon or the plain old boring (and expensive, and tedious) Pill.

In the U.S. another IUD called Skyla is out, specifically for women who haven't had children yet. In theory it shouldn't be an issue because a simple ultrasound will reveal the dimensions of the uterus, allowing the doctor to assess the suitability of Mirena (or Skyla's) placement. IUDs hit two birds in a single stone - many, many women stop having periods altogether and experience no problems with it whatsoever except insertion cramping for a few hours. And you have your long term, hassle free birth control for several years.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2015, 01:15:50 PM »
I was reminded of this website by my friend a few days ago, thought I would share it.  It gives a review of just about every menstrual cup out there, from one blogger's point of view.  I was very surprised to see that there are something like 100 brands now available!

https://menstrualcups.wordpress.com/
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 01:17:42 PM by Zaga »

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2015, 11:39:38 AM »
Reposting to post some hints and ask a question...

First off, for a PSA, I have found that since adding a CalMagZinc supplement to my daily regime, my monthly cramps are non existent.  Nothing fancy, the walmart Nature's Bounty brand is what I buy.  Highly recommend to anyone to give a try! 

Now my question...as I'm gaining more experience with my Diva Cup, I'm finding that my heavy flow day (only one usually) simply overwhelms the cup.  Despite almost hourly emptying, I still have leakage and have to wear backup (hate!).  I have the larger model for women who have experienced childbirth so I'm at capacity for this device.  Does anyone have recommendation for a cup with larger capacity than the DC?

Thank you so much!  I was feeling so smug about being able to do anything during my period thanks to the DC, but this particular issue is ruining one day a month for me.

I wish I could give the MMM ladies a big hug for all the support and advice we have for one another!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2015, 03:10:35 PM »
I think that one has close to the highest capacity that's out there.  Check the link I posted just above, she has a chart with all of the cups, including capacity.  One of the options is to sort the chart by capacity.

What I do on my heavy days because of leakage is I made my own reusable panty liners out of flannel and sew on snaps.  But my heavy days are not nearly as heavy as yours, i can make it 8 hours most of the time on my heaviest day.

I will try out that supplement, because I have just about the worst cramps imaginable.  I'm actually having a biopsy next month to try to figure out what is wrong with me.  I hope they find something and can fix it!

Cookie

« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2015, 03:42:28 PM »
I just  joined the bandwagon! I was nervous to try the cup, but it really does help with cramps!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2015, 04:21:05 PM »
I just  joined the bandwagon! I was nervous to try the cup, but it really does help with cramps!
I really wish that had been the case for me.  I cry before my period because I know how much it's going to hurt, and nothing besides massive doses of painkillers helps :(

Cookie

« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2015, 04:43:22 PM »
I really wish that had been the case for me.  I cry before my period because I know how much it's going to hurt, and nothing besides massive doses of painkillers helps :(

Aw sorry :(. I'm on birth control which allows me to only have a period every other month. Without it, I'd have it every other week. I also take iron vitamins during the period which I hope helps, but who knows.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2015, 09:41:58 AM »
As for birth control, I wanted something that was non-intrusive and didn't involve putting chemicals/hormones in my system. I thought that condoms were my only option until I came across LadyComp https://www.lady-comp.com/
 It's 99.3% effective and works by taking your basal body temperature (orally) each morning and comparing it against a huge set of stored data of other women's temps to determine when you are ovulating.  I would say that its downfalls are that it really only works for people in monogamous relationships and cost.  It's $485 so you need up front cash (probably not a problem for most people here) but it can be used for 10 years. I split the cost of mine with my partner, so if I actually use it for 10 years that comes out to a whopping total of $2 per month for each of us.

I'm glad this works for you...the data backing up this method's effectiveness for my case is starting driver's training tomorrow ;-)  YMMV

Grem

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2015, 12:19:45 PM »
Hi,

I just stumbled upon this thread :)

I normally use pads. I can *feel* tampons when I try them to the point where I feel nauseous :/ Dr Google says I might have a sensitive cervix

I'm also shaped a bit weird, like a v instead of a o type shape...that means a tampon sits one side or the other and I get leaks...

Would a cup work for me? If I can feel a tampon would I be able to feel a cup? Would they even fit with my weird shape?

Thanks x

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2015, 04:39:33 PM »
Hi,

I just stumbled upon this thread :)

I normally use pads. I can *feel* tampons when I try them to the point where I feel nauseous :/ Dr Google says I might have a sensitive cervix

I'm also shaped a bit weird, like a v instead of a o type shape...that means a tampon sits one side or the other and I get leaks...

Would a cup work for me? If I can feel a tampon would I be able to feel a cup? Would they even fit with my weird shape?

Thanks x
It's hard to say, they don't work for everyone.  You could try the Instead disposable cup first, they are shaped sort of like a soft diaphragm.

I had trouble finding one that would work for me, my cervix is very low so I got a short cup and cut the stem as short as I could.  That worked for me, but barely.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2015, 06:31:26 AM »
Following