Author Topic: Menstrual Cups  (Read 106094 times)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Re: Menstrual Cups
« Reply #200 on: April 13, 2016, 05:33:20 PM »
I use cloth pads and love them.

As for changing the cup at work, I don't. I'm good for 12 hours with the cup. That's one of the benefits of the cup over cloth pads for me on heavy days :-)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #201 on: April 13, 2016, 05:36:34 PM »
Well I'm all healed up from having my uterus removed, and I have one very rarely used green Lady Cup size small that I'm happy to send to anyone who asks over PM.  (I also have a very well used small Lunette, same deal but not much life left in it.)  Oh, and homemade 3 layer flannel pantiliners.

All of which I will sterilize by boiling and wash several times before sending.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #202 on: April 13, 2016, 08:17:55 PM »
Does anyone use re-usable fabric pads?

I haven't tried menstrual cups bc pads are super uncomfortable for me. But I love fabric pads - cheaper long term and super comfortable.

I also like the advice about cleaning the cups.
How do women deal with changing cups at work?

Did you mean tampons are uncomfortable? I never got used to tampons, either, but I like my menstrual cup. (There's a learning curve, but I'm pushing through.)

I liked fabric pads at first, but I think I might have been on the pill when I started using them. I have heavier periods now and getting the blood out of the damn things enough to put them in the washing machine was gross. And they felt gross on heavy days and were impractical and uncomfortable for bike riding.

Another nice feature of the cup is that I can take a BATH when I feel menstrually gross! I know, tampon users have always had this option, but it's a whole new world for me.

sonjak

• Stubble
« Reply #203 on: April 13, 2016, 08:40:32 PM »

I haven't tried menstrual cups bc pads are super uncomfortable for me. But I love fabric pads - cheaper long term and super comfortable.

I have a cup but haven't needed to use it when on the pill.  When I did use a cup regularly, I would take a couple wet paper towels into the stall with me, empty the cup and then wipe the outside with the wet paper towel and reinsert.  Use the other one to wipe my fingers after.  Toss those in the same place I used to dispose of used pads.  It's actually a lot easier than the hassle of replacing a pad (and more subtle) because you already have it with you.

I still need pads, especially the liners, during my period.  After developing reactions to the disposable pads (years ago), I tried several cloth kinds and these are my favorite.  http://www.newmoonpads.com/home.html

I have had the same ones for years, have washed them many times and they still are holding up great.  (I think about buying new ones sometimes to have something different/fun but the mustachian part of me realizes how ridiculous that is so I haven't.)  I got my sister a big stash for a gift one year (she uses them as her sole protection - except when she's traveling when she buys disposable) and she loves them too.

I really appreciate that the only time I walk down the "feminine products" aisle is when I"m headed through to somewhere else.  I used to spend a ton on tampons and pads.  Now it's not even a part of my life.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #204 on: April 14, 2016, 06:01:29 AM »
Well I'm all healed up from having my uterus removed, and I have one very rarely used green Lady Cup size small that I'm happy to send to anyone who asks over PM.  (I also have a very well used small Lunette, same deal but not much life left in it.)  Oh, and homemade 3 layer flannel pantiliners.

I wish I didn't have a cup that worked for me (that's lie. I'm glad I have a cup that works for me).
But I hope someone takes you up on this. :) It's very generous of you!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #205 on: April 14, 2016, 07:15:39 AM »

Did you mean tampons are uncomfortable? I never got used to tampons, either, but I like my menstrual cup. (There's a learning curve, but I'm pushing through.)

I liked fabric pads at first, but I think I might have been on the pill when I started using them. I have heavier periods now and getting the blood out of the damn things enough to put them in the washing machine was gross. And they felt gross on heavy days and were impractical and uncomfortable for bike riding.

Another nice feature of the cup is that I can take a BATH when I feel menstrually gross! I know, tampon users have always had this option, but it's a whole new world for me.
Oh myyyy. I had never considered that, because I've never used a tampon. Oh. I might get around to buying a cup after all. I am currently building my fabric pad stash. I have heavier flows, but find the cloth pads fine; I just have a bag for carrying the folded up dirty ones and don't stress about soaking it too long before washing. They've cleaned up fine so far. I've got Party In My Pants, but don't like their shape for overnights (equally long at the front and back, and still not long enough to catch flow that tends to drip down the back). Their medium/large and liners are a dream, though

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #206 on: April 14, 2016, 07:54:39 AM »

Glad to hear your surgery and recovery went well!

If you get a request from someone who doesn't have a cup yet, please send it to them. But if after a little while nobody else is interested, I'll happily take all of it!

I have a DivaCup that works reasonably well for me, but I can't use it at night because it always leaks. Always. Only at night. So I would love the chance to try another brand or two to see if the problem is with the DivaCup or with me (am I doing intense kegel-type gymnastics in my sleep or what? It's fine during the day!).

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #207 on: April 14, 2016, 08:08:59 AM »
I think I must live under a rock. I'm in my mid-40s and only heard of a menstrual cup for the first time last year. And I have never heard of fabric pads.

I don't need either at this point in my life, but I probably would have been interested in a menstrual cup back when I needed that type of thing.

Jardeny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #208 on: April 14, 2016, 05:45:34 PM »
Me after discovering menstrual cups...

Serious love. My favorite aspect was better sleep, without having to shift side to side through the night, which would cause me to wake up with hip soreness in the morning. For stains, besides the hydrogen / water soak, I find dropping a denture cleaning tablet on a disposable cup with the Diva Cup also leaves it good as new.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #209 on: April 14, 2016, 07:08:05 PM »

Glad to hear your surgery and recovery went well!

If you get a request from someone who doesn't have a cup yet, please send it to them. But if after a little while nobody else is interested, I'll happily take all of it!

I have a DivaCup that works reasonably well for me, but I can't use it at night because it always leaks. Always. Only at night. So I would love the chance to try another brand or two to see if the problem is with the DivaCup or with me (am I doing intense kegel-type gymnastics in my sleep or what? It's fine during the day!).
It's a deal!  I'll wait a week, then it's all yours!  Stems are cut short btw, when I had a cervix is was extremely low and the only way I could get the cup in was without a stem, and that just barely with the short cups.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #210 on: June 23, 2016, 09:35:33 PM »
Help!

I just found out I may be going backpacking (in bear country) over 4th of July weekend while menstruating!  I've never gone backpacking while on my period before so I don't know how to deal with it.  (Usually use tampons, can't stand pads at all, ever, under any circumstances.) It seems maybe a cup would be the way to go, but I'm nervous about only having a day or maybe two to get used to it before really putting it to the test. Also nervous about how to clean it in the woods.  Also probably worth noting, the people I'd be going with are not people I'd even be comfortable telling I was having my period, much less having to explain having to clean it or have them see blood on my hands or anything. Can I do this?

I'm honestly tempted to just skip my period if I can get my next pack of BC pills a little early, but that has its own problems.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 10:27:07 PM by neophyte »

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #211 on: June 23, 2016, 10:02:47 PM »
Help!

I just found out I may be going backpacking (in bear country) over 4th of July weekend while menstruating!  I've never gone backpacking while on my period before so I don't know how to deal with it.  (Usually use tampons, can't stand pads at all, ever, under any circumstances.) It seems maybe a cup would be the way to go, but I'm nervous about only having a day or maybe two to get used to it before really putting it to the test. Also nervous about how to clean it in the woods.  Also probably worth noting, the people I'd be going with are not people I'd even be comfortable telling I was having my period, much less having to explain having to clean it or have them see blood on my hands or anything? Can I do this?

I'm honestly tempted to just skip my period if I can get my next pack of BC pills a little early, but that has its own problems.

I would absolutely, positively NOT try a cup under the situation you described. Cleaning it and your hands properly would be impossible, so you'd be asking for an infection. Plus, it is hard to get it in properly at first. You might get spectacular leaks. And it can be uncomfortable. Even after a few cycles, sometimes I still have trouble getting it in right, and then I am cranky all day.

I would skip the period. Second choice, I would use tampons even though you would probably have to pack the used one out.

Kouhri

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #212 on: June 24, 2016, 03:52:42 AM »
So now a few cycles into using menstrual cups...
HOLY SHIT THESE HAVE CHANGED MY LIFE!!

First cycle was kinda hard working out how to get mine folded, comfortable, open, no leaks and how to take them out. But thanks to the magic of you tube worked it all out. And now it seems like the most natural thing ever, I love it!
I brought a few cloth pads at the same time as well to use in case of leaks and teething issues and would also highly recommend.

10 reasons switching to a menstrual cup has made my life better:
1)no more buying tampons or pads ever again
2)So much more comfortable, I never really liked the feeling of wearing disposable pads, they kinda got hot and sweaty and totally gross bloody, just generally unpleasant. I also disliked wearing tampons, I could always feel the darn things, like they would be properly positioned but the dawn string. I could always feel the darn strings. Plus there was always some leakage so I'd have to use a pad anyway.
3)able to monitor my flow so much easier. A little period blood looks like an indeterminate amount, unless it's neatly held in a cup 😊
4)showers and baths actually nice when I'm on my period. And no more oh shit I bled on the towel, and having to put it through the wash prematurely.
5)no more period smell paranoia in public
6)so much more convenient, everything you need to manage a period is on (in) your person the entire time. I hated always having to plan where I was going that day and how long and pack the appropriate 'sanitary items'
7)it's better for the environment! I'm no longer contributing huge needless quantities of slow to break down  crap into landfill.  And no more chucking used sanitary items in those (super gross usually blood stained) sanitary bins in public bathrooms
8) I get frequent opportunities to save the day when friends and colleagues are in need of a pad or tampon helping me to slowly whittle down  my (small) stock of sanitary supplies that I will NEVER use again if I can help it. With the one exception of post partum but I would need to buy new stuff then anyway
9)it has improved my sex life. Like it really actually has. I don't feel gross and non-sexy on my period. And period sex doesn't result in making it look like a crime scene. It makes more of a difference than you'd think.
10) maybe it's all of the above adding together, but now I just feel normal on my period. I'm not distracted throughout the day by thinking or worrying about my period : am I leaking? is it time to change a tampon? what clothes colour can I wear just in case? Do I smell? Shit I feel unwell did I leave a tampon in too long and am getting tss? Did I bring enough sanitary items for __? etc.

I am definitely a convert :)

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #213 on: June 24, 2016, 08:02:06 AM »

Um...I guess this might be TMI (is there TMI in this thread?), but...I don't understand this. I always take a bath on my period, even on heavy flow days. When I used to use tampons I would take it out before getting in the bath. Nothing happens.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #214 on: June 24, 2016, 03:27:21 PM »
So now a few cycles into using menstrual cups...
HOLY SHIT THESE HAVE CHANGED MY LIFE!!

*snip*
9)it has improved my sex life. Like it really actually has. I don't feel gross and non-sexy on my period. And period sex doesn't result in making it look like a crime scene. It makes more of a difference than you'd think.
*snip*

I am definitely a convert :)

Wait, what?  Are you wearing a cone-shaped menstrual cup while you have sex...somehow without injuring your partner?  Or are you wearing the little, disc-shaped, disposable ones that just cap the cervix?

*snip*

Um...I guess this might be TMI (is there TMI in this thread?), but...I don't understand this. I always take a bath on my period, even on heavy flow days. When I used to use tampons I would take it out before getting in the bath. Nothing happens.

Sometimes being in water will temporarily slow/stop your flow.  Your heavy flow days might not be as heavy as FrugalParagon's, or your body might just react differently.  For me, the lighter the flow, the more likely it is to stop if I take a bath.  If my flow were really heavy and I tried to bathe without a cup in place, I would end up looking like Countess Bathory.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #215 on: June 24, 2016, 08:34:55 PM »
Help!

I just found out I may be going backpacking (in bear country) over 4th of July weekend while menstruating!  I've never gone backpacking while on my period before so I don't know how to deal with it.  (Usually use tampons, can't stand pads at all, ever, under any circumstances.) It seems maybe a cup would be the way to go, but I'm nervous about only having a day or maybe two to get used to it before really putting it to the test. Also nervous about how to clean it in the woods.  Also probably worth noting, the people I'd be going with are not people I'd even be comfortable telling I was having my period, much less having to explain having to clean it or have them see blood on my hands or anything? Can I do this?

I would absolutely, positively NOT try a cup under the situation you described. Cleaning it and your hands properly would be impossible, so you'd be asking for an infection. Plus, it is hard to get it in properly at first. You might get spectacular leaks. And it can be uncomfortable. Even after a few cycles, sometimes I still have trouble getting it in right, and then I am cranky all day.

I would skip the period. Second choice, I would use tampons even though you would probably have to pack the used one out.

That's what I was afraid of.  A lot of backpacking articles recommend them, so there must be some way to keep them clean, but the learning curve and leaks are concerning.  If I can't get the pills, I'm going to see if I can find some eco-friendly biodegradable tampons or something. I don't think there is any way in the world that the guys I'm going with would let me put used tampons in our bear bag along with our food.  I'm also pretty worried about how they would smell after several days at 80/90 temps.

decembeir

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #216 on: June 25, 2016, 12:23:48 AM »
That's what I was afraid of.  A lot of backpacking articles recommend them, so there must be some way to keep them clean, but the learning curve and leaks are concerning.  If I can't get the pills, I'm going to see if I can find some eco-friendly biodegradable tampons or something. I don't think there is any way in the world that the guys I'm going with would let me put used tampons in our bear bag along with our food.  I'm also pretty worried about how they would smell after several days at 80/90 temps.

Many ladies, including myself, use Diva Cup or similar for backpacking since it weighs less, takes up less space in a pack, and it's contents are more easily disposed of than tampons. (Just a leave no trace recommendation- I wouldn't suggest burying tampons, even biodegradable ones if you manage to find any, because they would still likely take a long time to break down and could easily be dug up by critters... instead if you do use them I would pack them out.) Cup contents should be buried with other waste.

If you are just going on a short backpacking trip with a diva cup, you could get by without a thorough cleaning and instead simply empty and wipe out with some toilet paper before using again. Otherwise, cleaning is pretty easy just using some filtered or otherwise sterilized water from your water bottle with or without a bit of soap. Once you get back home you can do a deep clean/ boil if you want.

One great thing about menstrual cups is that you can practice getting the hang of them even before your period hits... so once you get your cup, get comfortable with it trying out various folds and practicing trying to get a good 'seal' (I use a "7" fold). Obviously you won't know for sure everything is working right until you try it under real world circumstances, but I've had zero problems with mine from day 1 of use. Everyone has different experiences with their cups though, so maybe consider bringing both the cup and some backup tampons on your trip.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 12:26:27 AM by decembeir »

athiker10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Radiant Self Care
« Reply #217 on: June 25, 2016, 01:30:44 PM »

Many ladies, including myself, use Diva Cup or similar for backpacking since it weighs less, takes up less space in a pack, and it's contents are more easily disposed of than tampons. (Just a leave no trace recommendation- I wouldn't suggest burying tampons, even biodegradable ones if you manage to find any, because they would still likely take a long time to break down and could easily be dug up by critters... instead if you do use them I would pack them out.) Cup contents should be buried with other waste.

If you are just going on a short backpacking trip with a diva cup, you could get by without a thorough cleaning and instead simply empty and wipe out with some toilet paper before using again. Otherwise, cleaning is pretty easy just using some filtered or otherwise sterilized water from your water bottle with or without a bit of soap. Once you get back home you can do a deep clean/ boil if you want.

One great thing about menstrual cups is that you can practice getting the hang of them even before your period hits... so once you get your cup, get comfortable with it trying out various folds and practicing trying to get a good 'seal' (I use a "7" fold). Obviously you won't know for sure everything is working right until you try it under real world circumstances, but I've had zero problems with mine from day 1 of use. Everyone has different experiences with their cups though, so maybe consider bringing both the cup and some backup tampons on your trip.

Quoted for truth. I thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail and 90% of my period time on the trail I used a cup. I just took filtered/purified water with me when emptying to rinse off the cup. I also made sure to use hand sanitizer before/after ( as well as rinsing my hands). Not a big deal as long as you have enough purified water with you. Definitely used the woods rather than the privies though when emptying the cup. Too many flies to deal with in those.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #218 on: June 25, 2016, 09:32:36 PM »
The good news is I got the pills, so guess who's not having her period next week!   Thanks for the backpacking tips though, the cup really does seem to be the way to go for long trips. I'm just really nervous about relying on it without practice.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #219 on: June 26, 2016, 08:17:04 AM »
The good news is I got the pills, so guess who's not having her period next week!   Thanks for the backpacking tips though, the cup really does seem to be the way to go for long trips. I'm just really nervous about relying on it without practice.
I think you made the right choice.  I would have no hesitation about using a cup for backpacking - after I had used it for a few months!  The first month?  No way!

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #220 on: July 01, 2016, 06:15:05 PM »

That really sounds like the best idea.  It took me about 3-4 cycles before I got totally comfortable with the Divacup, and it was good to be near a real bathroom while getting used to it.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #221 on: July 03, 2016, 02:31:18 PM »
I love cloth pads, but I'm finding that I just can't get the darn things clean enough to satisfy me. I pre-soak and everything. Has anyone else found that?

I'm thinking I'll try the diva cup.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #222 on: July 03, 2016, 02:47:33 PM »
I did have that issue with the cloth pads.  What I did to fight it is, after soaking and a good basic rinse in the sink to run it through the wash twice in one of those lingerie laundry bags, then let air dry.  I didn't do this every month, but every 2 or 3 seemed good enough.

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #223 on: September 16, 2016, 02:56:27 PM »
I found this thread last year and just want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone on it.

I bought a Diva Cup (post pregnancy, larger size) back in January and love it.

The Diva Cup brings such a level of convenience and lower waste to my life.  In the 8 months, I've had it, the Diva Cup was with me:

1- on a 5 day inn to inn backpacking trip in Japan.  Wonderful!  so glad I didn't have to carry pads or tampons with me when I realized the calendar for my trip.
2- on one car camping trip with only outhouses. again no real issues and loved with low waste aspect.

I do have one question for everyone here.  Apologies if this has been answered already ( I don't remember reading it).  I have an 8 year old daughter, who will be starting her flow in a few years.  How have you handled menstrual cups with your daughter? 

TOgirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #224 on: September 23, 2016, 08:21:30 AM »
I've tried to read the whole thread, so apologies if this has been discussed already...

I've had a Diva Cup for about 3 years and love it. Recently I've got an IUD. Any success stories out there of these being used together when needed? (it's a hormonal IUD, so hoping it actually cuts out the need for a cup altogether at some point)

Thanks!

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #225 on: September 23, 2016, 10:52:46 AM »

I do have one question for everyone here.  Apologies if this has been answered already ( I don't remember reading it).  I have an 8 year old daughter, who will be starting her flow in a few years.  How have you handled menstrual cups with your daughter?

I don't have a daughter. But I WAS a daughter once (still am in fact), and in thinking about this question, I thought about my own first period experience which was rather...embarrassing. Thanks Nana.

If I did have a daughter, I think I would buy a (small) menstrual cup and give it to her at some point before I think she is going to get her period. Maybe not 8, but 10/11 or so. Give her some time to practice with it without having her period and just in general get comfortable with the idea of a period, and thinking about what that means as a woman. I don't mean that in a philosophical way, but in more of a reproductive your-body-is-amazing kind of way. The cool thing about the cup is that you can wear it anytime, not just when you actually have your period. She can try putting it in and wearing it around to get comfortable. The other great thing is that until her friends start talking about it, all her knowledge is going to come from you. If you introduce the cup prior to that, she won't really ever know any different.

Also, I do use cloth panty liners on heavy flow days just so I feel confident. A pre-teen would probably need this confidence even more, so I would order a few cloth pads off etsy for her too.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #226 on: September 23, 2016, 01:30:35 PM »

I don't have a daughter. But I WAS a daughter once (still am in fact), and in thinking about this question, I thought about my own first period experience which was rather...embarrassing. Thanks Nana.

If I did have a daughter, I think I would buy a (small) menstrual cup and give it to her at some point before I think she is going to get her period. Maybe not 8, but 10/11 or so. Give her some time to practice with it without having her period and just in general get comfortable with the idea of a period, and thinking about what that means as a woman. I don't mean that in a philosophical way, but in more of a reproductive your-body-is-amazing kind of way. The cool thing about the cup is that you can wear it anytime, not just when you actually have your period. She can try putting it in and wearing it around to get comfortable. The other great thing is that until her friends start talking about it, all her knowledge is going to come from you. If you introduce the cup prior to that, she won't really ever know any different.

Also, I do use cloth panty liners on heavy flow days just so I feel confident. A pre-teen would probably need this confidence even more, so I would order a few cloth pads off etsy for her too.

Honestly, I can't imagine a little girl using something that giant. One cup manufacturer suggests starting with tampons (OK, this place sells reusable sea sponge tampons that they suggest) instead of going right to a cup.

Thinx might be another good option for a young girl if she can fit them. More comfy than pads.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #227 on: September 23, 2016, 02:28:11 PM »
I don't have a daughter but I don't see that you should handle it any differently than you would pads or tampons. She will probably see you using yours - I know I certainly found out what sanitary towels were because I saw my mum using them and asked (the answer "just something women need to use when they're grown-up" was more than enough for my then, I think, four-year-old self). At eight, she might be past the age of wanting to follow you into the bathroom but she might at least see you boiling it, for example, and so be aware of its existence. Had you given any thought to how to approach the topic of tampons and pads? It shouldn't be all that different. I think the most important thing is probably just to give her the gift of knowledge (of all the options - disposable and non-disposable) and then let her choose for herself what she wants to do. It takes all kinds but it may well be that at least at the beginning she's happier with pads or panty liners. If she's interested in those, and would like to get some cloth ones, you can have fun choosing patterns she likes. I'd be interested in hearing what others who actually have kids think of this, too, though.

And for what it's worth, the mooncup site is pretty good for FAQs and has an email advice service, too. Why not send them the question, too (divacup may have a similar service, too, I suppose) but I know mooncup does. Here's the answer to the question of whether you can use it when you've just started your period: http://www.mooncup.co.uk/using-mooncup/can-i-use-the-mooncup-if-ive-just-started-my-periods/

decembeir

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #228 on: September 23, 2016, 02:59:43 PM »
I just checked my email history to verify when I first purchased my Diva cup and found that it just celebrated its 5th birthday. Happy birthday Diva Cup! It shows zero signs of wear and tear beyond some minor discoloration, so I see no reason why it won't continue to be fully operational for an additional 5+ years. I purchased it brand new off ebay for $21.50... so that puts me at a cost of about 36 cents per period so far. I really can't extol the virtues of Diva cups enough... I honestly would continue using it even if it somehow cost more than using tampons. Here's hoping I can get the cost per period down to 18 cents or lower!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #229 on: September 23, 2016, 06:31:36 PM »
I just checked my email history to verify when I first purchased my Diva cup and found that it just celebrated its 5th birthday. Happy birthday Diva Cup! It shows zero signs of wear and tear beyond some minor discoloration, so I see no reason why it won't continue to be fully operational for an additional 5+ years. I purchased it brand new off ebay for $21.50... so that puts me at a cost of about 36 cents per period so far. I really can't extol the virtues of Diva cups enough... I honestly would continue using it even if it somehow cost more than using tampons. Here's hoping I can get the cost per period down to 18 cents or lower!

Re: the discoloring. Someone upthread recommended the hydrogen peroxide and water soak. I did that, and my (6? 8?) year old Dive Cup looks new again. It's probably just vanity, but it makes it feel "cleaner" somehow.

But +1 for me for many years, still in great shape.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #230 on: September 23, 2016, 09:11:14 PM »
I don't have a daughter but I don't see that you should handle it any differently than you would pads or tampons. She will probably see you using yours - I know I certainly found out what sanitary towels were because I saw my mum using them and asked (the answer "just something women need to use when they're grown-up" was more than enough for my then, I think, four-year-old self). At eight, she might be past the age of wanting to follow you into the bathroom but she might at least see you boiling it, for example, and so be aware of its existence. Had you given any thought to how to approach the topic of tampons and pads? It shouldn't be all that different. I think the most important thing is probably just to give her the gift of knowledge (of all the options - disposable and non-disposable) and then let her choose for herself what she wants to do. It takes all kinds but it may well be that at least at the beginning she's happier with pads or panty liners. If she's interested in those, and would like to get some cloth ones, you can have fun choosing patterns she likes. I'd be interested in hearing what others who actually have kids think of this, too, though.

And for what it's worth, the mooncup site is pretty good for FAQs and has an email advice service, too. Why not send them the question, too (divacup may have a similar service, too, I suppose) but I know mooncup does. Here's the answer to the question of whether you can use it when you've just started your period: http://www.mooncup.co.uk/using-mooncup/can-i-use-the-mooncup-if-ive-just-started-my-periods/
my mum gave me some pads to carry in my backpack so if my first period came while i was at school, I'd be ok (it did, at 13). I don't recall exploring my vagina even after it did and I couldn't get my head around the idea of there being space inside me, so I never even tried to use tampons. Providing some healthy internet links, instructions and a tiny one is a good idea, but it might not work for her until she's an older teenager. Giving her a couple of options so she can choose what works for her is probably the best way, as then she can do what feels comfortable.

TOgirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #231 on: September 26, 2016, 08:40:53 AM »
I have a mirena IUD and I use a diva cup. I've had it 3 years. I think my dr said to not use the cup the first month after the insertion but it's been fine since then. I probably only get a period once very 3 months or so now with the IUD.

Thanks so much for the response. I'm hoping to be able to continue using mine as well.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #232 on: September 26, 2016, 11:49:49 AM »

Re: the discoloring. Someone upthread recommended the hydrogen peroxide and water soak. I did that, and my (6? 8?) year old Dive Cup looks new again. It's probably just vanity, but it makes it feel "cleaner" somehow.

But +1 for me for many years, still in great shape.

The H2O2 soak really works wonders - makes it look like new! I wash mine with soap regularly and soak every couple of months.

It really is amazing how easy and cheap they are. I've probably spent $80 on cups - two diva cups still in rotation (I keep one in my suitcase) and an old natural rubber one that just got kind of gross and sticky after a year or two - but they're all I've used for 10-plus years now (plus maybe $3 worth of panty liners a year), and I strongly suspect that my ovaries are going to wear out before the diva cups do.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #233 on: October 18, 2016, 07:28:23 AM »
Serious love. My favorite aspect was better sleep, without having to shift side to side through the night, which would cause me to wake up with hip soreness in the morning. For stains, besides the hydrogen / water soak, I find dropping a denture cleaning tablet on a disposable cup with the Diva Cup also leaves it good as new.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!  That tip about the denture tab revived my cup.  I was struggling with stains that could only partially be removed by scrubbing with baking soda.  I was wondering if I would need to replace it soon (it's only 3 years old).  After soaking about 12 hours in a glass with a denture cleaner tab, my cup is so clean! For anyone else trying this for the first time, don't be afraid to leave your cup in there a whole night or day.  I checked on my cup around hour 5 and it was noticeably less stained, but not as much as after the full 12 hours.

thecrazydoglady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #234 on: October 26, 2016, 09:32:40 AM »
LOVED my Divacup but recently got a copper IUD and have been scared to use it again. Thanks to this thread i think i'm going to give it a try. My periods have gotten much heavier (still worth it if you ask me) and if i don't go back to the cup i'm afraid i might go bankrupt...

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #235 on: October 26, 2016, 12:06:10 PM »
LOVED my Divacup but recently got a copper IUD and have been scared to use it again. Thanks to this thread i think i'm going to give it a try. My periods have gotten much heavier (still worth it if you ask me) and if i don't go back to the cup i'm afraid i might go bankrupt...

Yep, i have a copper iud and my periods are really heavy.  I can fill a Diva in 2 hours!  Which means that trying to catch all that with a tampon or pad is literally impossible.  I think a cup is the only way.  And I still need backup, at least in the early days.

Thinking about getting some THINX underwear.  Have you all seen those?!

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #236 on: November 14, 2016, 02:05:07 PM »
I've seen the THINX ads online, but don't know anyone using them.  Also curious for feedback on comfort and if you can feel them as they fill up.  With past UTI/yeast issues, I am hesitant to wear synthetic undies.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #237 on: November 14, 2016, 08:29:56 PM »
Just a word to the wise cup user: don't cut up, say, serrano peppers (spicy) and then change your cup. Even after washing your hands four or five times with dish soap and then taking a shower, still don't.
You can probably guess how I know this.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #238 on: November 15, 2016, 03:09:27 AM »
Just a word to the wise cup user: don't cut up, say, serrano peppers (spicy) and then change your cup. Even after washing your hands four or five times with dish soap and then taking a shower, still don't.
Yikes! Normally I like MMM's policy on emojis but this feels like one of those rare posts where words just cannot adequately express a reply. Hope the effects didn't last too long!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #239 on: November 15, 2016, 07:21:12 AM »
I've seen the THINX ads online, but don't know anyone using them.  Also curious for feedback on comfort and if you can feel them as they fill up.  With past UTI/yeast issues, I am hesitant to wear synthetic undies.

My sister and I are both fans. I wear mine as cup backup on heavy days and solo on less-heavy ones. They do start to feel wet if you are really free-bleeding.

They are my favorite we've-got-this solution. Cup overflow on an airplane? We've got this. Substitute teaching, not sure if my period will start in earnest so I don't want to wear a cup, but if it does start, I won't be able to get to the bathroom right away? We've got this.

We both only like the hiphugger. Sports ones were no good. I wish they came up higher, though. These tend to roll into my c-section pouch and I always want to yank them higher in the back.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #240 on: November 15, 2016, 08:55:57 AM »
Yikes! Normally I like MMM's policy on emojis but this feels like one of those rare posts where words just cannot adequately express a reply. Hope the effects didn't last too long!

Haha, no it didn't last that long. And it was just a very mild sensation, thank goodness, not a true burning-lady-parts feeling.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #241 on: November 15, 2016, 09:50:41 AM »

Haha, no it didn't last that long. And it was just a very mild sensation, thank goodness, not a true burning-lady-parts feeling.

*chokes*  Oh boy.  I would warn those who wear contact lenses that the same applies to them, except that your eyes are even more sensitive and there will be actual pain.  To avoid this, I take the produce bag that held the serranos (or the cilantro, which I use at the same time), stick my non-knife hand in it, and wrap the excess around my wrist so I can touch the peppers without fear.  This would be my only use for plastic gloves, so I find it simpler to use the bags.

*snip*
They are my favorite we've-got-this solution. Cup overflow on an airplane? We've got this. Substitute teaching, not sure if my period will start in earnest so I don't want to wear a cup, but if it does start, I won't be able to get to the bathroom right away? We've got this.
*snip*

For this, why not just wear a cup?  I think one of the huge benefits is that you can wear them, and comfortably!, without your period being in full-force, unlike tampons.  If I know the flow is coming, I will pop in the cup early (of course then I still clean it twice a day).

OutlierinMA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRED!
« Reply #242 on: December 05, 2016, 03:46:37 PM »
Just saw this and had to share - I'm so happy this will help other folks discover the wonder of the cup:

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-menstrual-cup/

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #243 on: December 06, 2016, 10:20:45 AM »
since this thread was revived, i just want to say that for thanksgiving i got myself some more reusable pads bc they were a thing i was really grateful this year

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #244 on: December 09, 2016, 08:05:07 PM »
I use cloth reusable pads. I never did like tampons, so wasn't sure if I would like a DivaCup. I bought some cloth pads for about $30 for a set about 4 years ago. I haven't bought a pad since. Not sure how much I'm saving by not having to buy monthly supplies, but I like less trash if nothing else.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #245 on: December 09, 2016, 08:49:47 PM »
I have a DivaCup, but I don't find it all that comfortable.  I've never liked tampons either.  I like cloth pads though.  There are the disposable cups (Instead) that I've seen at the regular stores, but I bought my DivaCup online. 

IUDs are also awesome, although I happen to have a baby courtesy of ParaGard.  Unfortunately 99.4% effective does not equal 100% effective!  I've been pretty happy with the Mirena too.  Definitely cost effective though.  I paid a $20 office visit copay for the Paragard, for something that should last at least 10 years.

I also didn't find the DivaCup very comfortable and don't like how tampons feel either. The DivaCup was mainly too difficult/painful to get in and out and that's why I didn't like it. I like the idea of it though, and kudos to those who have eliminated their pad or tampon use with it.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #246 on: December 09, 2016, 09:04:27 PM »
I have a DivaCup, but I don't find it all that comfortable.  I've never liked tampons either.  I like cloth pads though.  There are the disposable cups (Instead) that I've seen at the regular stores, but I bought my DivaCup online. 

I also didn't find the DivaCup very comfortable and don't like how tampons feel either. The DivaCup was mainly too difficult/painful to get in and out and that's why I didn't like it. I like the idea of it though, and kudos to those who have eliminated their pad or tampon use with it.

The few times I tried tampons they were very painful, but my cup (DivaCup) has been wonderful.  Perhaps softer and/or smaller cups would work better for you two?  The DivaCup is comparatively large and not-soft.

I made two reusable pads for my sister as backup for her cup (heavy heavy flow).  There are plenty of patterns that are free online.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #247 on: December 10, 2016, 06:56:45 AM »
Another non-tampon user who swears by the cup. I have a small Lena cup. On heavy days it has to be emptied off and on one memorable occasion it overflowed on an airplane, but I prefer to go with the smaller capacity to make it easier to insert. I wear Thinx as backup.

abby1234519

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #248 on: December 12, 2016, 07:21:29 AM »
I've just gone on to the amazon website, two packs of heavy pads and one pack of thin pads + a cup is about £90

Wow....that's a lot of money. I've been "lucky" enough to avoid needing lady things as I'm overweight so periods stopped. However I've started to lose weight and I'm dreading the day I need to buy tampons. There's a box under my bed unopened since my son was born. 5 years ago...

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #249 on: December 12, 2016, 07:59:16 AM »
I've just gone on to the amazon website, two packs of heavy pads and one pack of thin pads + a cup is about £90

There are a LOT of brands out there.  Is the cup brand you found on Amazon an import?  In the US, the DivaCup is around $24, which should be around £19.  Is Amazon possibly advertising a bundle that is more expensive than its components?  You can make your own pads or probably find cheaper ones.  Some forums suggest that mothers just use a small, old cloth diaper.  Old washcloths/flannels/facecloths work well to catch light overflow, as do handkerchiefs.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!