Author Topic: LED bulb recommendations?  (Read 1358 times)

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
LED bulb recommendations?
« on: July 22, 2021, 09:00:34 AM »
We've been changing out our CFL bulbs for LED bulbs as the CFLs die.

So far we've changed out about 20 BR30 bulbs around the house over the last several years.  In that time, five of the LED bulbs have failed.  I didn't track the exact number of hours until the bulbs failed, but it was a tiny fraction of the 20,000+ hours that the manufacturers promise.

The failures have been from GE (2), Hyperikon (2), and Philips (1).

Any thoughts on a more reliable brand?  Or should I just accept that 20% or more of my bulbs will probably fail far short of the predicted lifetime?  So far I'm batting 0.000 on getting any replaced under warranty.

The good news is that even with the relatively high cost of the bulbs, the ones that failed after just 2 years still ended up paying for themselves several times over in electricity savings.  Bad news is that they are now going to a landfill which seems very wasteful.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
Re: LED bulb recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 11:21:30 AM »
I wonder if it's a problem on certain circuits in our house. We have one hall light that burns out regular incandescent bulbs within a few months, and has killed a couple of different LEDs so far. The most recent LED bulb has lasted at least a year so far.

The first LED bulbs I bought back in 2010 are still all in use (in the bathrooms, so they get a lot of use).

The only ones that have died apart from the hall light are a few outdoor LEDs in our porch light, where they are exposed to moisture, heat, and cold weather, so not unexpected.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 11:48:31 AM »
@Dave1442397, interestingly in my case the ones that have failed so far are on circuits that do not have dimmers.  I don't have the fancy dimmers made especially for LED bulbs, but the Philips dimmable bulbs are supposed to work with almost any dimmer switch.  I'm really happy with the range of dimming, the lack of flicker, and the fact that none of those have died yet.

I have a pair of 100w-equivalent cheapo $1 Sylvania bulbs on the front porch, and I'm surprised they've lasted ~2 years so far with the extreme temperature and humidity swings.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 04:23:16 PM »
@Dave1442397, interestingly in my case the ones that have failed so far are on circuits that do not have dimmers.  I don't have the fancy dimmers made especially for LED bulbs, but the Philips dimmable bulbs are supposed to work with almost any dimmer switch.  I'm really happy with the range of dimming, the lack of flicker, and the fact that none of those have died yet.

I have a pair of 100w-equivalent cheapo $1 Sylvania bulbs on the front porch, and I'm surprised they've lasted ~2 years so far with the extreme temperature and humidity swings.

We have the dining room LEDs on a regular old dimmer switch (Lutron), and I can't remember when I switched to LED bulbs in there, but it may have also been 2010. No failures there so far. I did make sure I bought LEDs that were dimmer-compatible at the time.

Considering how many lights my wife and daughter leave on for no reason, I'm sure LEDs have saved me a lot of money since 2010 :)