Author Topic: Latest best deals to hack cell phone bill?  (Read 5647 times)

Phish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Latest best deals to hack cell phone bill?
« on: May 29, 2020, 12:57:36 PM »
I've been too lazy to change my cell plan for years.  Have T-mobile and pay $70/mo for unlimited everything.  I need a new phone so good time to switch.

Thinking of Google Fi.  I really don't talk much away from home and use google voice on my laptop at home.  When I start a podcast or music streaming at home on my wifii, and then leave my house to go somewhere, it keeps working on my wifi everywhere I go (I guess it caches the data or something?).   So that saves data usage.  I haven't tried it, but I imagine if I start google maps on the wifi at home it will still work to my destination  if I keep the wifi on (just like podcasts).  So that saves data usage too.   So in summary, i think I can get away with not using much data.

I live in a generally rural area where Tmobile is weak and Verizon and AT&T are the strongest.  And I know Google Fi uses Tmobile/Sprint/US Cellular....so that might not be idea.

What about others like Red Pocket, Xfinity, Boost, PagePlus, H2O wireless....etc....  are any of these better?  Anyone do a break down?   Thanks!

Phish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Latest best deals to hack cell phone bill?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 01:35:20 PM »
Pixel 3a is $299 if you buy it off the Google Fi site when starting service.  They have a Moto G Power for $199, that is the cheapest of the phones they list on the site that are "designed for Google Fi".  I'm wondering what exactly will be different using Google Fi if I say bought the unlocked Moto G7 Play?   Or a unlocked cheaper Samsung?  These are apparently compatible, but not "designed for Google Fi"

I think one of the reasons people keep getting gouged on cell phone plans and don't change is pure "inertia".  It just takes a lot of time to do all the research on all the discount plans, phones, and then the trial and error to see if something works.  And if it doesn't, its a hassle to change back again or try something else.  And many times its hard to know how exactly you use your phone, until you try a whole new plan and it doesn't work, and you realize you needed x,y, z.   (anyway done whining and ranting now!)

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 11:43:12 AM »
Can't help you w/o how many voice minutes, texts and Gb of data you use

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 02:47:26 PM »
If you have an iphone, Google Fi absolutely completely sucks. Don't do it. They tout being able to switch networks - not on an iphone (you're limited to T-Mobile, which is basically non-existent in my area). An iphone on Google Fi does not allow for wifi calling. And my experience with Google Fi was that it absolutely chewed data, so much so that I just turned off the phone all the time. I finally got fed up with paying $23 a month to not be able to use my phone and switched to Mint. Much happier.

I know people who use Google Fi in metro areas and they are thrilled. They also don't have an iphone. I think if you're looking at (or already have) a Google phone, your experience might be far more satisfactory.

dang1

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 04:47:07 PM »
my backup phone is a Galaxy S7, bought used off ebay, still works good. Use it on Airvoice, an ATT mvno, on pay-as-you plan.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 05:57:44 AM »
How much data do you use?  And can you cut back and use wifi more?

If you want to stay with T-mobile, they have a prepaid plan with unlimited talk and text, plus 2 GB of data for $15/month.

Phish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 07:06:35 PM »
OK so tried to do more research.  I live in a semi rural area near the NH/VT border.  The strongest signals up here are AT&T and Verizon.  US Celluar might be OK too as I see they have a lot of physical stores up this way.  There are no tmobile physical stores here because tmobile is terrible up here.  I do not think Sprint has towers up this way either. 

So Google Fi is probably a bad choice due to no Verizon or AT&T.  Also, Google Fi is really stingy on data....$30/mo inc taxes gets you 1G of data???   I used to be a big user of data, but with comcast wifi at home I'm not much any more.  And I learned that if I start podcasts at home on the wifi, and then I don't turn the wifi on the phone off when I leave the house, the podcast still plays no matter how far I go (it must cache the data).  So that saves on data.  The main things I use data for on the road would be podcasts, music streaming and mapping.  But I think I can download maps offline?

That of course is the whole trick to drastically lowering your cell phone bill....the ability to live life without having to use much data off the celluar networks.  I'm not sure if I can, but I damn well will try if I can shave $40/mo off my bill!  That may mean talking books off the overdrive app borrowed from the library vs podcasts!  I'm a investing podcast junkie so I listen to them in the car, on walks, at the beach, etc... - so I will have to do without those as they would chew up the data usage.

So for where I am on the NH/VT border, I'm looking at all the MVNO's for Verizon and AT&T.  US Mobile, Visible, Tracfone, Total Wireless, Straight Talk, Red Pocket, Ting, PagePlus, Consumer Cellular, Boom Mobile.   What is the best of the bunch here? 

Mint Mobile is Tmobile right?  So that wouldn't work.  I like Tmobile Connect at $15/mo for 2G data but Tmobile is so weak where I am.

I am due for new phone.  I have had a cheap Samsung for 3.5 yrs now and the screen is cracked and storage is too low.  Looking at maybe a Moto phone.  So whatever MVNO I choose has to work with a unlocked Moto.

I used to live in Seattle WA and do a lot of traveling and used hot spot more, so Tmobile 50G data was good for all that.  But now live rural and don't travel right now much.

Jeez this is more complicated then I thought!

Phish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 07:54:54 PM »
PureTalk USA ($12.50/m 3G data), Red Pocket ($20/mo 5G data), AT&T prepaid ($25/mo 8G), Tracfone ($30/mo 3G) looking promising due to being the lowest cost AND on the Verizon or AT&T network.  Any thoughts on those 4?

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 01:54:15 AM »
I am not sure but I think podcasts don't use much data? Should be easy enough to download while u are in wifi before u head out. I do that with all my library ebooks so I don't waste data.

The transition to cheaper plans is so worth it although it does take some readjustments in habits. Many moons ago, DH downsized from 6GB data for $60/mo to 1GB/ data for $25/mo through Public Mobile. (This is in Canada so rates don't compare). Anyway, yes being more restricted on data was a bit annoying but he adjusted. Just means limiting the random surfing - he can still browse online, but not so indiscriminately.  He used his data primarily for grocery shopping, various chat apps, Google maps, and looking stuff up as needed. Even more important than data was unlimited talk. I tried downsizing him to a 100 min/mo plan  that was only $15/mo and he blew through those minutes in 2 days.

Whereas I may only talk 5-10 mins on the phone in a month. Pretty much everyone I talk to have chat apps. On the other hand, I like web surfing more and prefer 2-4GB of data/mo. I could cut back to 1GB/mo but would have to be diligent to continually borrow e-books. So I am on a 4GB data only plan (no talk/text) for $15/mo.

Long story short, I like starting the process with figuring out your minimum must-haves. How much talk? How much text? How much data? Then, look for a prepaid MVNO that use the carriers you need (so if it is AT&T, then only consider AT&T MVNOs). I like to go through each one and check out the plans they offer working through a process of elimination based on price and who offers the plans that meet my minimum needs.

The reason it's often hard to give specific recommendations is that there is what feels like an infinite number of combinations of price and offerings. And I find different plans work better as my needs change or a better deal appears.

In my household of 5 (and this is in Canada with way fewer providers to choose from and far higher costs), we are split up between 3 different providers paying around $15/mo each (except for DH who upgraded to $25/mo because he is on the phone all day long).
1. DH needed unlimited talk, a few texts, and min 500MB of data. (Public Mobile unlimited talk/text/1GB data $23/mo)
2. 5. My mother needed some talk and text and at least 250MB of data. (Public Mobile 100min outgoing, unlimited incoming, unlimited texts, 250 MB data $13/mo + extra $5/400mins every 1-2 months)
3. DS17 didn't need talk/text but wanted at least 1 GB data. (Fido 4GB data-only $15/mo)
4. I didn't need talk/text and wanted at least 500MB data. (Fido 4GB data-only $15/mo)
5. DD18 needed a few mins of talk for emergencies, some texts, and min 500MB of data (Tbaytel 20GB/yr + 3000 texts/yr + 50mins/yr ~$15/mo)

See how varying our needs were? No one company had the plans that suited all of us for the lowest price.

BTW, I used Puretalk for a Cali vacation a few years back and thought it was great. Plus they had a discount at that time for my nurse DH :) More recently, we used H20 Wireless for another vacation last year and I would use them again if the price was right.

If u are looking for a new phone, check out slickdeals - those folks are up to date on all the latest deals. Last year, we upgraded 3 old iPhones for something like $220 or so each via a deal TMobile was offering at Costco. After 3 we met all the conditions, we got the phones unlocked and switched to a different company. I must say - the TMobile unlimited everything plan was pretty sweet while we had it :) We all got spoiled a little lol!

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 02:09:48 AM by elaine amj »

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 04:47:09 AM »
What about Cricket? At&T actually bought them and they still have great deals for the prepaid plans. And you don't have to give up podcasts--just try to do most of your downloading at home on wifi. Husband has had the 2gb plan from them for forever and he never has data issues as long as he is mindful of adding large files ahead of time at home vs. streaming while out.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 08:49:43 AM »
What phone are you currently using?  Might be helpful to know.

How does a person get AT&T Prepaid for $25/month for 8Gb of data?  AT&T Wireless's website shows it as costing $50/month ($40/mo with AutoPay). https://www.att.com/prepaid/plans/  Interested because I'm using AirVoice, and their lack of support for 'visual voice mail', plus a bug in MMS for Android to iPhone texts.  AT&T would be preferable.  I'm a former contractor with AT&T, and T-Mobile/Metro, and would happily use either of them except for the higher price point.

I'm trapped in the iPhone environment... yes, but I've used both Android and iOS, and now I actually PREFER the iPhone...  currently I'm using Airvoice Wireless prepaid $30/month ($27/mo with AutoPay) for unlimited everything + 6Gb of data. https://www.airvoicewireless.com/unlimited
AirVoice is another MVNO of AT&T.  As an iPhone user there's one interesting bug - iPhone users don't always receive text messages sent from Android users.  It's a bug AirVoice knows about, but haven't been able to fix for whatever reason.   If you're in the Android ecosystem, this isn't a problem...  unless you have friends/relatives with iPhones.  I tell my friends and family try email if I don't respond to texts.

Phish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 11:58:15 AM »
What about Cricket? At&T actually bought them and they still have great deals for the prepaid plans.

Cricket appears to be $35/mo for 5G data.  Where other AT&T MVNO's PureTalk is $15/mo for 5G, Red Pocket is $20/mo for 5G, At&T prepaid is $25/mo 8G.  So appears to not to be the best priced AT&T MVNO.  However I have not fully looked into all these plans and the small print around those monthly rates. 

This is a pretty good site that does a lot of the cost comparison of all the MVNO's for you.
https://bestmvno.com/

Phish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 01:08:25 PM »
As for the AT&T MVNO's......

Red Pocket has some good prices, but just had to wait 25 minutes for a customer service rep or chat!  Just to get some basic info.  And customer service was offshore and not that great  That is worrisome.

Consumer Cellular looks pretty good with the $22.50/mo 3G plan.  They have a professional web site too. 

Pure Talk has a really amateurish web site $20/mo 2G, $25 4G.   But customer service picked right up and was onshore.

Tracfone looks pretty good with professional web site and lots of happy customers $20/mo 1G, $25/mo 2G. 

Phish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2020, 05:28:20 AM »
Just wanted to report back.  Bought the G7 Motorola direct from Motorola for I think $110 and I now have pre-paid t-mobile connect for $15/mo for 2G data and unlimited talk/text.  Why did I wait so long!   That is the problem when you get busy....I sat there way too long paying $70/mo on regular tmobile for unlimited data.  And I don't need it!  Life goes on with out it and I have an extra $540 a year in my pocket now!

And like a dummy for years I used to just walk into Tmobile or Verizon stores and get their overpriced locked phones too.  Because I was too busy and too lazy to research options. 

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2020, 10:04:04 AM »
Apparently missed this thread last month, tossing in a couple bits all the same where still valuable and relevant.

AirVoice is another MVNO of AT&T.  As an iPhone user there's one interesting bug - iPhone users don't always receive text messages sent from Android users.  It's a bug AirVoice knows about, but haven't been able to fix for whatever reason.   If you're in the Android ecosystem, this isn't a problem...  unless you have friends/relatives with iPhones.  I tell my friends and family try email if I don't respond to texts.

It's not an Airvoice thing, it's an Apple thing. iPhone on an AT&T MVNO is gonna be a bad time. We've talked in the past, so I suspect you probably already know how SIM cards work and how SIM locks work in software/firmware by checking against SIM IMSI, so this is more for other's benefits to better explain what's going on.

The IMSI on SIM cards are like credit card numbers. The first digit(s) indicate which network, and what bank the card belongs to. Like, Visa always starts with 4, Mastercard 5, Discover 6. This is why when phones are SIM locked to one mobile network operator (MNO), sticking SIM cards from another network in won't work. This is also why SIM cards from MVNOs on the same MNO the phone is locked to will work.

So needless to say, the phone's firmware can detect who the SIM card belongs to and alter or lock down parts of the firmware and user interface accordingly. Enter obligatory, "This is Apple's fault, not _________..."

Apple locks down internet and MMS APN settings in iOS when SIM cards assigned to the AT&T network are inserted, likely due to an agreement between Apple and AT&T that goes back to them being the initial exclusive host network for the iPhone here in the USA all those many moons ago - though I've never gotten proof of this, even if similar behaviors have been noted in other countries and carriers. You toss in a T-Mobile SIM card in an unlocked iPhone, you get APN settings in the settings app (or at least you used to), but AT&T SIM cards will lock you out of those settings. Although the iPhone has a way to push internet APN settings irregardless of SIM card, the internet APN is not the MMS APN, and that is the one that is locked down. This is why any SMS messages longer than 155 characters or with media from other phones won't go through. Further, Apple has a "blessed" carrier list as "compatible" with iPhones. This means Apple has the ability to even detect which MVNO your SIM card belongs to, and automatically set the APN settings on the phone for those AT&T MVNOs... however, they choose not to. This means, as far as I can tell, Airvoice can't do crap about it.

This freezes out most AT&T MVNOs outside of the 800lb gorilla of Tracfone/StraightTalk's AT&T based SIM cards, postpaid MVNO's like Consumer Cellular, and AT&T's in-house prepaid division and phone MVNO boutique brand Cricket. Basically, every other AT&T MVNO is frozen out. You might notice Red Pocket on the "blessed" carrier list, but RedPocket's AT&T SIM cards don't support MMS on iPhone last I checked, but their T-Mo and Verizon SIM cards do. Puretalk USA isn't on the list, however, they do claim that they're one of the few AT&T MVNOs actually able to support MMS on iPhone, and I want to say a couple old timers on the forums here have had success as such, and I've seen others around the interbutts claim likewise. I don't know what ring they kissed to make it happen, because for the longest time they were just like everyone else, and then one day, "we finally support MMS on iPhone!" Of course, YMMV. There'll be permafrost in Bogota before I'll volunteer to own an iPhone, so I can't give a first hand account.

This is basically Apple telling the customer to get stuffed, and they're dictating what networks and providers you can use and what services they'll even permit on said networks... even if the MVNO has VoLTE, or VVM, or MMS support... NOPE! Apple holds the keys, and they dictate whether you get access or not. Just like every other part of their walled garden ecosystem experience. It's galling to drop that kind of cash and be told you still aren't allowed to use it however you like.

Thank you, no. This is why no matter how much I dislike Google and Android, I won't buy an iPhone. But I've digressed, heavily...

tl;dr: Lay the blame where it belongs, Apple and AT&T, not Airvoice. However, if you would like MMS back, look into switching to Puretalk USA. You should (in theory) be able to get basic MMS functionality back again while still using an affordable AT&T MVNO.

Red Pocket has some good prices, but just had to wait 25 minutes for a customer service rep or chat!  Just to get some basic info.  And customer service was offshore and not that great  That is worrisome.

For what it's worth, I've been with RedPocket now for nearly two years now. Once everything was set up, no problems at all, and the few times I needed to talk with someone didn't take too long. I suspect the pandemic's taxing their support department, and theirs isn't the only one. Influx of new customers who need cheaper phone service while cutting their budgets to the bone combined with the need to shut down centralized call centers. Don't take it as their default mode. I've had better support from other MVNOs in the past, but I've also see far, far worse from far, far bigger...

Why did I wait so long!   That is the problem when you get busy....I sat there way too long paying $70/mo on regular tmobile for unlimited data.  And I don't need it!

You also kinda over-complicated it initially. Elaine Amj basically reiterated what I've been saying for nearly a decade now. Start with who your current carrier is (or if you want to leave, the best carrier for your region), and knowing what you actually need per month, and shop from there. That makes the entire process about 90% easier than most people think it is, and how it's always presented... because you know what network already works for coverage and with your phone, and you know how much call time/text messages/data you actually need before even looking at carriers. Then it's just pricing packages that give you what you need from a carrier you can use, and having a support experience with the two or three MVNOs that best fit.

Everyone shops by price trying to get the biggest and mostest package for the money, and most guides sell it the same way. Top down shopping quickly leads to complicating the shopping experience with overwhelming options and frequently bad experiences with the new provider. If you go bottom up, and naturally limit yourself to the network you're already on and know what size mobile package you need, you've already eliminated most of the distractions and lined yourself up for an easy and successful win. And looking at who you landed with and the plan you're using speaks toward that simplicity to approach. Enjoy the savings.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 12:09:51 PM by Daley »

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2020, 11:53:25 AM »

For what it's worth, I've been with RedPocket now for nearly two years now. Once everything was set up, no problems at all, and the few times I needed to talk with someone didn't take too long. I suspect the pandemic's taxing their support department, and theirs isn't the only one. Influx of new customers who need cheaper phone service while cutting their budgets to the bone combined with the need to shut down centralized call centers. Don't take it as their default mode. I've had better support from other MVNOs in the past, but I've also see far, far worse from far, far bigger...

Piling on for anyone using this thread as a reference. 
We've had great service from RedPocket. My main requirement was to keep using the Verizon network since they're the only one that has coverage in the backcountry and RedPocket has been great.
We had a bit more of a complicated switch-over from Verizon 'cause I wanted to keep my number (not surprising, RedPocket isn't allowed to port a Verizon number directly onto their "Verizon" CDMA network so had to go on the AT&T network for a month). Their IM service was always timely and helpful. Now we're cruising along on their $15/mo plan and couldn't be happier.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2020, 01:06:47 PM »
#1. If you're already using T-Mobile, then Google Fi will work at least as well as what you have now. If you use a Google Fi sim in an unsupported phone, it can't do the super nifty switching between T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular. Which means it just stays on T-Mobile all the time.

#2. Google Fi probably isn't that great of a deal for you if you just need basic domestic service for one phone. Where it really starts to shine is if you need multiple sims and/or to use it overseas (other providers are starting to jump on the free international roaming bandwagon, but Google Fi was one of the first).

At the moment, we're on the one unlimited line for $70/mo, and it's covering the whole family thanks to the free data sims. With each line, you're allowed up to four data-only sims that piggyback off the main. So my wife has the actual voice/text/data sim that's charging $70 (plus tax/fees), and the rest of the family has a data sim (three kids plus myself). It gets cheaper with additional lines, normally we have two lines for $120 (and I'm about to sign up again, I cancelled in order to try to fix a glitch where I didn't get the free Google One subscription it's supposed to come with; I'm waiting until it expires in a few days). Each line comes with four data sims, so we normally have a total of ten sim cards (two can do voice/text/data, other eight can only do data). Since each child has a Google Voice number...they only need data. Plus we can have a sim card for two vehicles ("free" hotspot data), a sim for two different iPads, and a sim for a backup modem (we have cable and dsl, believe it or not there's been times that both were out and it's fallen back on the mobile connection). The only real catch is that "unlimited" is 22GB of full-speed, then throttled to 256kb/s. That's wicked slow, BUT it's enough for kids to still use their google voice number to call/text in an emergency, use Google Maps, etc. It's not the end of the world if the kids have to download some shows on Netflix/Youtube when they're home on wifi; I should note that we haven't even gone over 10GB for both lines combined, much less 22GB on a single line.

The cheapest you can get Google Fi for just a single line is $20/mo (they require to charge at least for 1GB upfront, but they refund if you use less). But if you're using zero or extremely little data (like my mom), just get get Tracfone when there's a good deal on a year service. Earlier this year I bought a year service for my mom for $30 (normally about $100 I think), came with 3GB data and no idea on calls/texts (she also uses google voice and thus doesn't need "true" minutes and texts). She might use a gig or three of data in a year, if that. You also get to pick which backbone provider is used, AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon (she uses AT&T with no issues).

Short version: depends on coverage in the areas you're using it in, how many phones/devices you have, and how many minutes/texts/data you actually need.

Oh, you can get a referral link to save $20 after a month service on Google Fi (you and referrer get $20 each if memory serves). Don't ask me, I'm not a shill, but there's lots of people who'll jump at the chance to get a free $20. This is per line, so if you're signing up multiple lines you only need someone else's code for line #1; once you have line #1 it can refer line #2 (remember, both referrer and referred get the $20, so if you're in both roles that's $40).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 01:14:19 PM by NumberJohnny5 »

christogram

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2020, 05:56:00 AM »
I just switched to Visible, which is Verizon's barebones service. $40/mo for unlimited everything, but if you get 3 family/friends in a Party on the service it goes down to $25 a month.

I'm in the same boat with Verizon having much better coverage in my area. I tried Xfinity briefly cause it was so cheap, but it dropped calls and always tried to push itself to wifi no matter what. I had a brief stint with at&t prepaid when it was cheaper about a year ago, and the service was the same as regular at&t just cheaper.

So far I can't tell the difference between Verizon and Visible in terms of quality of service.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2021, 10:19:23 PM »
Yeah, it's a necro post, but this topic is always timely.

I did it, I just ordered 3 months of Mint Mobile's 'new customer plan' at $15 per month.  My phone is unlocked and I was tired of paying way too much with Sprint/TMobile.  I woefully admit I stayed too long there because of inertia and also because my Hulu was tied to it.  Stupid reasons.  There is apparently no cost break on the Hulu LiveTV as I foolishly believed-- that is a slick trick they pull by bundling and I only recently separated my cranium from my rectum and looked into it.  My lazy body-at-rest inertia has cost me hundreds of dollars.  Apparently Mint uses the same TMobile towers I am already on and when I checked my data usage their cheap plan fits nicely.     

I listen to a lot of podcasts and all the cheap cell phone alternatives are constantly advertised there and it must have sunk in.  Not wanting a big disruption I first researched pre-paid plans that Sprint advertised starting at $20 per month.  I tried to talk to a Sprint agent through their online chat within my account about those plans and they refused to discuss it, they kept referring me to a 1-800 number.  Yuck.  And going into a Sprint store for this?  Double yuck.  So goodbye Sprint.

Looks like I can keep the Mint Mobile $15 going if I pre-pay for a year after that 90 days is up, otherwise it reverts to $25.  If I am happy I will likely do the whole year option and try to recoup some of the stupid tax I paid for the last 4 years getting bent over by Sprint at more than 4X that price.  Ouch. 

Look at me, this Gen X gal first cut the cable TV cord and is now out here walking away from Big Cellular. 

Let the healing begin.   

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2021, 10:57:25 PM »
Who doesn't love a good necro post? I swapped to Mint about a month ago. I initially had trouble with dropped calls, etc. Turns out that my phone was only partly compatible with the mint network despite being told it was compatible (was a Verizon-unlocked phone). It was on it's last legs anyways, so I got a new unlocked phone cheap that has compatibility with all of the major providers. I've had zero problems since then. Short version is that the mint phone compatibility checker is "optimistic", and that as long as your phone would play nice with Tmobile, then Mint is great.... at least in the Seattle area.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2021, 11:31:43 PM »
@Glenstache is your new phone an iPhone?  I have an 8 Plus that should work with Mint since Tmobile is what I started with when that was new, but if I upgrade one day I wonder what I should be shopping for as a fully compatible phone.   Whatcha got?

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2021, 09:09:44 AM »
I have a Samsung S20 that is factory unlocked and has the bandwidths for all carriers and 5G. I'm not sure what other offerings have that, but there must be others as well. As a personal preference, I just don't like the interface on Apple products, so have not looked into how they compare to iPhones.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2021, 10:03:51 AM »
Thanks for the details!

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2021, 07:46:55 AM »
In my rural area Verizon has the best coverage, I switched to Republic as it uses Verizon towers.
 Works great.
Is cheap.
Moto g power, the battery lasts for days.

GailNYC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2021, 04:00:34 PM »
In case anyone's using this thread as reference, just wanted to warn against Cricket Wireless. I switched to Cricket about four years ago because of recs here, and it was great!! Until it wasn't. Texts stopped going through randomly in July; I need my texting to be absolutely reliable! A Google search told me this was a known issue that Cricket wasn't dealing with, so I quit. I'm on Verizon now and their customer service is TERRIBLE but at least my texts all go through.

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2022, 12:46:53 PM »
I use Xfinity/Comcast for cell service & I love it.  If you have Xfinity intrnet service it is a great deal.  I pay $12/month for unlimited talk/text and 1 gig of data.  I never come close to 1 gig of data since I use my wifi while at home and turn off the cell data.  Many restaurants/stores have Xfinity wifi so that is free to use.  My total cell bill is less than $15 per month.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!