Author Topic: Joel Osteen  (Read 42904 times)

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Joel Osteen
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2015, 07:23:42 AM »
You are gonna watch Joel today. I just know it.

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2015, 06:59:45 PM »
I'd rather watch a good sci-fi movie than attend any form of religious event. More entertaining and similarly accurate.

biocmp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2015, 07:56:54 PM »
There's a cold place in hell reserved for Joel Olsteen.

If wealth is God's blessing, is poverty God's curse?

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2015, 12:51:55 AM »
There's a cold place in hell reserved for Joel Olsteen.

If wealth is God's blessing, is poverty God's curse?

To the first part, why is that?

To the second part is hard to say but I want to say no. I think that mostly revolves around luck, circumstances, and our priorities.
I think it is important to recognize our place. If you are poor you can not help the poor financially.

Are you struggling with finances? Watch Cinderella Man. I'll ask again. Are you struggling with finances? Has life gotten hard? Watch Interstellar. Are you valuing whats important? Watch the Family Man. Watch the Weatherman. Do the odds seem hopeless? Watch the Grey. Are you lost? Watch Signs.

There is some Hollywood ministry when you need it. I still recommend Joel for the open minded

biocmp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2016, 11:34:17 AM »
I'm struggling with none of those things but your presumptions come off as condescension.  I'm in the 95+% percentile of earners for my age (according to some random web tool).  That has nothing to do with my sentiments towards Olsteen.

Further insinuating that my mind is closed because I don't like Olsteen is...poor taste.  Hopefully next you'll compare me to Hitler.

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2016, 11:48:26 AM »
When a preacher's words and actions are based on a text written by another man claiming it is the word of a supernatural power, there's no rock to stand on. If that power was supernatural, why didn't it create the paper, the ink, and transcribing its thoughts to text? Or just etch it in rock using fire/laser/lightning power?

Suppose for a moment there is a God.  Is he required to do only the things you expect of him?  If you expect that he works by etching words in stone using a cosmic laser beam, does that mean he's required to do it - because YOU wanted him to?  If God truly is operating at a higher plane than humanity, then why does humanity feel that it gets to dictate to God what he should do?  From what I've seen, the scientific method generally fails when you start off saying "OK, since I expect these certain results, I'm going to disregard anything that doesn't align with those results."  Similarly, it might be poor process to disregard a notion of God (or anything else, for that matter) simply because it doesn't align with what you wanted to find. Just something to ponder.  :)

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2016, 01:38:10 PM »
Just something to ponder.  :)

I have pondered, and upon further reflection I have decided that you have no idea what you are talking about.

If you are going to start a discussion with "suppose this theory is correct" then your theory has to be testable and falsifiable. That's how science works.  You can't prove something is true by asserting it to be true and unprovable. 

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2016, 09:58:13 PM »
I have pondered, and upon further reflection I have decided that you have no idea what you are talking about.

If you are going to start a discussion with "suppose this theory is correct" then your theory has to be testable and falsifiable. That's how science works.  You can't prove something is true by asserting it to be true and unprovable.

Well the God of the bible doesn't want to be provable, he wants to be known by faith.  Again, you're free to hate the fact that doesn't fit your idea of how it's supposed to work, but it's actually stated pretty plainly in the bible.  He intends to be just beyond the realm of proof.  Don't ask me why - that's just what the bible says, so you are correct in that the God of the bible cannot be proven.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2016, 10:30:26 AM »
When a preacher's words and actions are based on a text written by another man claiming it is the word of a supernatural power, there's no rock to stand on. If that power was supernatural, why didn't it create the paper, the ink, and transcribing its thoughts to text? Or just etch it in rock using fire/laser/lightning power?

Suppose for a moment there is a God.  Is he required to do only the things you expect of him?  If you expect that he works by etching words in stone using a cosmic laser beam, does that mean he's required to do it - because YOU wanted him to?  If God truly is operating at a higher plane than humanity, then why does humanity feel that it gets to dictate to God what he should do?  From what I've seen, the scientific method generally fails when you start off saying "OK, since I expect these certain results, I'm going to disregard anything that doesn't align with those results."  Similarly, it might be poor process to disregard a notion of God (or anything else, for that matter) simply because it doesn't align with what you wanted to find. Just something to ponder.  :)

Fuck, never mind. What Sol said.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2016, 08:21:07 PM »
I'm struggling with none of those things but your presumptions come off as condescension.  I'm in the 95+% percentile of earners for my age (according to some random web tool).  That has nothing to do with my sentiments towards Olsteen.

Further insinuating that my mind is closed because I don't like Olsteen is...poor taste.  Hopefully next you'll compare me to Hitler.

Wrong, I see you in the Weatherman sitting on the couch in this scene. It is totally you. Hollywood knows-- they always know:

https://youtu.be/JmZI1_78lJU

Psychoanalysis: you hate Joel because you think he didn't earn it like you. You think its easy to get up in front of 50,000 people or get on TV with millions watching and talk about one of the most taboo subjects out there-- God. Thats my analysis. You didn't earn it all yourself you know. Luck, parents, the right teachers, and natural endowments that were given to you took you there. You didn't will yourself into existence and to where you are
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 08:51:06 PM by mrpercentage »

biocmp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2016, 09:24:46 AM »

Wrong, I see you in the Weatherman sitting on the couch in this scene. It is totally you. Hollywood knows-- they always know:

Psychoanalysis: you hate Joel because you think he didn't earn it like you. You think its easy to get up in front of 50,000 people or get on TV with millions watching and talk about one of the most taboo subjects out there-- God. Thats my analysis. You didn't earn it all yourself you know. Luck, parents, the right teachers, and natural endowments that were given to you took you there. You didn't will yourself into existence and to where you are

You are really bad at this. I attribute a great deal of my success to my family & friends, to hard work and to luck.  I don't like Joel because I don't like sola scriptura, ahistorical analysis of this world (religion included).  Your goal of reducing disagreeing opinions to psychological faults of your detractors is, once again, condescending.

And I'm not necessarily anti-God or anti-religion. I'm anti-wolves-in-sheeps-clothing.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2016, 12:12:48 AM »

You are really bad at this. I attribute a great deal of my success to my family & friends, to hard work and to luck.  I don't like Joel because I don't like sola scriptura, ahistorical analysis of this world (religion included).  Your goal of reducing disagreeing opinions to psychological faults of your detractors is, once again, condescending.

And I'm not necessarily anti-God or anti-religion. I'm anti-wolves-in-sheeps-clothing.

So help me understand then. You don't like Joel because you know what he is without providing proof of wrong doing-- except that he is religious, and you view this as being naive, stupid, or wolfish (to take advantage of stupid people like me). Is that right? He is a wolf and I am condescending.. [does a McConahey pause, touches lip and raises finger in the air]

Reducing disagreeing opinions to psychological faults of their detractors is what people do-- they just don't say it. Thats why the religious are stupid and atheists are self righteous elitist assholes. Unless you are Gondi. You would have to be a real monster not to like Gondi, Mother Teresa, or the Dalai Lama. Those are cool because its all about perception and popularity and not stepping on any toes. I mean Christians say you have to believe in Jesus and thats just bullshit right? Now I think we are getting somewhere. Its okay to be a Christian as long as you keep your mouth shut. Mother Teressa was a doer so she is cool. Joel talks so he is a wolf. You know what? I know a secret [draws a fish in the sand]

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2016, 02:03:42 AM »
Before I get crucified or am forced to drink a cup of Hemlock I better say its okay not to like Joel. You don't have to its your right. I read you will not like 25% of the people you meet for no reason at all. I think when we do that [I have been guilty from time to time] we should say that. I just don't like him. Big difference from saying he deserves hell. There is hate in that. A personal stake in that. That might not be reality but that is what I perceive and perception is what perception does [I like movies can you tell]

biocmp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2016, 09:19:35 AM »

So help me understand then. You don't like Joel because you know what he is without providing proof of wrong doing-- except that he is religious, and you view this as being naive, stupid, or wolfish (to take advantage of stupid people like me). Is that right? He is a wolf and I am condescending.. [does a McConahey pause, touches lip and raises finger in the air]

Reducing disagreeing opinions to psychological faults of their detractors is what people do-- they just don't say it. Thats why the religious are stupid and atheists are self righteous elitist assholes. Unless you are Gondi. You would have to be a real monster not to like Gondi, Mother Teresa, or the Dalai Lama. Those are cool because its all about perception and popularity and not stepping on any toes. I mean Christians say you have to believe in Jesus and thats just bullshit right? Now I think we are getting somewhere. Its okay to be a Christian as long as you keep your mouth shut. Mother Teressa was a doer so she is cool. Joel talks so he is a wolf. You know what? I know a secret [draws a fish in the sand]

You do understand what condescension means, right?  I'm outright calling Joel Olsteen a manipulative fraud, there is no subtlety or need to condescend.

I've never claimed the religious are stupid, nor atheists to be elitist assholes.  You are the one throwing around ad hominem attacks or hoping to subtly imply psychological failures on the part of your detractors. I vociferously disagree with you regarding Olsteen.  I don't necessarily think you are selfish or greedy or stupid because you like Olsteen. None of that analysis is required to have this conversation.

Further, you are not very good at e-analyzing people. You've missed me on every attempt you've made so far. First you assumed I was poor, then you assumed I was a "Self-made" arrogant elitist, now you are subtly assuming I'm an atheist (and you are wrong again).

I don't like Olsteen because he is a smiling, glad-handed salesman.  He sells a prosperity message that I find wholly inconsistent with the recorded works of Jesus' life.  To understand Jesus, it would be best to understand the history of his people, the development of the Bible, the development of his Church and keep all of that in mind when trying to elucidate the message being presented.

Why does Christ say this:

"For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law."

And this:

"Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.”

If you accept Jesus but your idea of Jesus is incorrect, what have you accepted?

Further, at what point in your philosophical journey did you determine a God was needed? Why did you then determine the Judeo-Christian God was the correct one? 

Why not read the Bhagavad Gita? Or A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life? What is it about Joel Olsteen's message that is so resounding?  Why do you believe Joel is the one who will lead you closer to Christ's true message?

You don't think Gandhi, Mother Teresa or Dalai Lama stepped on toes? They've become universal icons precisely because they stepped on toes and allowed their actions to speak louder than their words.  And when you say the Dalai Lama, I presume you are referencing the 14th Dalai Lama, the one incarnate now.   

Fully-lived religion, assuming it doesn't become terroristic in nature, is an honorable thing. People attempting to live consistently within a moral framework is laudable from my view. It's the piecemeal approach to religion that I find wholly inconsonant with Christ's message or any religion.  Believing Jesus in word and believing Jesus in deed are two very distinct things and I have little interest in hearing someone parrot a bunch of scripture verses and tell me God just wants me to be happy.

Your second reply insinuating we'd be interested in giving you a death similar to Christ or Socrates is overblown. You haven't earned those so you needn't worry.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2016, 08:38:20 PM »
I like theatrics. Im not psychic but the closer I get to the truth the more people get upset and deny it-- or else they just give you a dull or confused look-- then I know I don't know and I'm off base. I can't see your face but I assure you its a talent of mine. Why waste time on me? Why care? What do you care if someone likes Osteen and is recommending him?

People get upset when you don't agree with their version of reality. That is what I was referring to. You have a stake in it.

And again, he is a fraud with what proof? Your idea of the way a religion you don't practice should be? It is amazing how many non-christians like to judge Christians on their Christianity. They made a song about it  https://youtu.be/u1xrNaTO1bI
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:46:25 PM by mrpercentage »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2016, 10:53:29 PM »
Edit: Retracting message for now, and sending it instead as a private message. Apologies to all.

The words were not flattering towards Mr. Osteen's gospel, however. I am not a fan of prosperity doctrine as a believer and follower of Messiah, and have little patience for things that detract so blatantly from the Kingdom.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 11:31:59 PM by I.P. Daley »

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: January 27, 2016, 12:11:52 AM »
Okay you obviously put a lot of thought and work into that. I will respect it and leave the thread in peace with others to say what they like. They should be able to say their peace.

elcheapo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2016, 12:16:38 AM »
I think Joel Osteen is clearly a fraud who exploits people of faith.  Other Christians generally think he's a heretic, because the focus of his religion is always himself (and that yours should be you) rather than about God.

Anybody who amasses a net worth north of $50 billion (and counting) by claiming to preach Jesus's message is so far removed from the Bible that there is no redemption available to them.  He's a camel trying to pass through the eye of a needle.

He's only worth $40,000,000 not 50 billion and your just jealous !

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2016, 06:53:12 PM »
Great message today. Had to bump the post. You can podcast too

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2016, 07:02:36 PM »
And again, he is a fraud with what proof? Your idea of the way a religion you don't practice should be? It is amazing how many non-christians like to judge Christians on their Christianity. They made a song about it  https://youtu.be/u1xrNaTO1bI

Plenty of evangelical Christians (who actually read the Bible) judge Joel Osteen, too.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2016, 07:35:22 AM »

Plenty of evangelical Christians (who actually read the Bible) judge Joel Osteen, too.

You know what? My family drank, smoked, and cursed a lot. My grandfather used to drink while driving on long road trips and I wouldn't be buckled up. I would be laying down in the back seat taking a nap. I have a married gay cousin that is in the armed forces. He is a great guy. I love them just the way they are. They are great people. I have an aunt who judges the gay cousin because her church is really anti gay-- she is otherwise probably the sweetest person I know. But she won't spend time with a family member (who could help her out with a lot of problems she has been having as a new widow) because he is gay. His sex life has zero impact on her. I don't get it. That's kind of why I don't go to church. Dropping an F-bomb is less of a sin than turning away blood because they are gay. You isolate a human being for their sex life that you don't see, and think that cursing and drinking is bad? Right

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2016, 09:43:29 AM »

You know what? My family drank, smoked, and cursed a lot. My grandfather used to drink while driving on long road trips and I wouldn't be buckled up. I would be laying down in the back seat taking a nap. I have a married gay cousin that is in the armed forces. He is a great guy. I love them just the way they are. They are great people. I have an aunt who judges the gay cousin because her church is really anti gay-- she is otherwise probably the sweetest person I know. But she won't spend time with a family member (who could help her out with a lot of problems she has been having as a new widow) because he is gay. His sex life has zero impact on her. I don't get it. That's kind of why I don't go to church. Dropping an F-bomb is less of a sin than turning away blood because they are gay. You isolate a human being for their sex life that you don't see, and think that cursing and drinking is bad? Right

I just watched a recording of "The Story of God with Morgan Freeman" and Joel was in it. It was great. I don't want to distract people from whats important with arguments over details. I think the message in episode 3 of The Story of God is right. I love what Morgan says at the end of the show and agree entirely.

I go to Joel not to learn rules to hold others accountable for-- I go to Joel to connect with the creator. I watch him to be the best person I can be. He helps me do it sometimes and I love him for it

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: May 23, 2016, 02:06:21 PM »
Evangelists. Blech. They all make my skin crawl.

Oh come on now, what about the one that was bragging about one of his followers buying him a Corvette. He went on and on to the point where he said he would even like a second one. (if anyone was a little extra cash)
 At least he's not spending his money!

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: May 23, 2016, 05:55:31 PM »
Well, I didn't bump it. The message from Joel this week was guarding the tongue. He said to put the sword down and be a healer. Speak words of encouragement and not to waste time trying to win arguments. Honestly it's like it was written for me personally. So there it is

czr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2016, 07:16:49 AM »
Well, I didn't bump it. The message from Joel this week was guarding the tongue. He said to put the sword down and be a healer. Speak words of encouragement and not to waste time trying to win arguments. Honestly it's like it was written for me personally. So there it is

Funny. Even though it has been over a month, I watched and remember that weekly episode that words can hurt and be as damaging as physical abuse. I am not religious but find his messages positive and uplifting enough to get over the nonsecular aspects of it all. I don't look for his show but every now and then I turn on the tv and he is on and I mostly like the message. It doesn't bother me that he is loaded or spends money because he probably only spends a small percentage of money he generates for good causes.

PS-What makes it more funny is Tyrion does the opposite of 'hold his tongue' so you may have been speaking about yourself or Tyrion about Joel's message this week personally for either of you.

Dorian Gray

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2016, 09:51:01 PM »
Osteen-tatious.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2016, 07:42:28 AM »
Okay. You don't have to watch him but the thing that is clear from every comment is that none of you have. Except Miles, he has a good excuse. I feel the same way about 99% of the churches Miles

Do you dispute that he almost never mentions Jesus much less the crucifixion and resurrection?

Here is one datapoint: http://pulpitandpen.org/2014/07/18/joel-osteen-likes-god-he-just-doesnt-like-jesus-a-twitter-survey-of-joelosteen/

"Just for kicks I did a quick survey of all Joel Osteen tweets in the last year. I can’t go further back, so we’ll stick with going back to July 8, 2013, which is a little more than a year ago. Out of Joel Osteens 806 tweets, not including any of his replies to other people, he mentions “God” 334 time.

Want to guess how many times he mentioned “Jesus”?

Once.

One time.

I figured that number seemed a little, so I exchanged the word “Jesus” for “Christ”? And know how many times Christ was mentioned?

Twice.

Two times."

I'm not a religious person so, I will probably offend believers.
Maybe their are reasons he doesn't mention Jesus.

The Virgin Birth or Virginal Conception.

"When biblically-informed Christians talk about the ‘Virgin Birth’ they really mean the ‘Virginal Conception’ (Virginitas ante partum), i.e. that Christ, the Second Person of the Trinity Incarnate, had no human biological father"

Immaculate conception.

The Immaculate Conception is a belief about Mary’s own condition at her conception. That is, she was “immaculated” by an act of God at the time she was conceived so she would be sinless and therefore the “fitting” mother of the Son of God.

Give me a break, she had a baby without sex, and further reading says she had other children but God continued to keep her virginal. It even says after giving birth her hymen was intact.

Resurrection.

What, he was dead, but now he is a living breathing person that physically is here and walks the world?
If you want to go with a spiritual belief, just philosophy of good, OK, but to say he physically did things,
like turn water into wine, apparently at Mary's insistence, how can you logically think such things.

And probably showing my ignorance, but what do you do with contradictions between the New and old testament and within the New Testament itself.

Why don't all Christians believe the earth is 6000 years old?

Where does evolution fit into your religious beliefs?

Oh, I like listening to Joel Osteen occasionally myself.

This might be interesting, and I may learn some religious teachings.