Author Topic: I almost bought a vitamix  (Read 28395 times)

hatersgonnahate

I almost bought a vitamix
« on: May 07, 2014, 12:30:45 AM »
Recently got into blending. If you have ever been in the market for a blender you must have heard about vitamix. I, too, was looking into getting one. Especially since they have such claims for quality and longevity.

Well, then I got a used blender on craigslist for 35 bucks. It makes smoothies that taste the exact same as the sample I tried at Costco. No different whatsoever. It is assembled in the usa and seems to be good quality.

So I saved over 300 dollars and got a product that does the same thing. That 300 dollars will be put into savings and over 40 years, to when I retire, at 7% compounded annually, will become thousands of dollars, which should be enough to buy a grandkid a used car.

Youre welcome, grandchild.

bluecheeze

• Stubble
Re: I almost bought a vitamix
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 03:41:01 AM »
Nice.  We got a ninja from Costco and love it. I think was $80 but in my opinion worth it have been making 2 shakes/day for over 4 months, process almonds into butter/almond milk, conistantly make hummus....the thing is great.

Unchained

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 12:26:03 PM »
This is a funny thread to stumble upon. I just bought a vitamix. Got a 35% off discount from a friend for a brand new unit and couldn't pass it up. Came out to 400 Canadian. I blend 3-4 smoothies of different sorts every day.   

This thing is durable and its obvious. I haven't even gone into the soup/dip making and I can already tell its going to last a very very long time.

msteacherstash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 06:34:48 PM »
Having a Vitamix is on my dream list... I am trying to fight the urge, but they are so beautiful and fancy. Sigh, facepunch.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 07:55:56 PM »
This family has bought so many cheap and poorly-made blenders that when someone gave us the Vitamix, I said aloud, "Where have you been all my life?"

First thing I noticed about the Vitamix - The cleanup is easier. The bottom of the blade (where the machine turns the blades) is guarded behind plastic. On the cheap models we bought, the food would get in between the bottom of the blade, the rubber cushion thing, and the screw-off plastic bottom holder. Lots of components to take apart and clean, which was always an irritation. Not with the Vitamix. You've only the inside to clean, not various tiny parts.

Second thing about the Vitamix - Blending time is significantly reduced. It would take upwards of 15 minutes to blend a quart of any smoothie that featured raw vegetables and fruit and even then you'd have chunks in your smoothies. With the Vitamix, there is an even smoothness and nowhere near the same amount of time to blend the items.

Third Thing - Capacity is increased. The Vitamix is bigger, holds more of what we love than the cheap ones. Takes less time to make more.

Now, all I know are the cheap ones and this $500 one, so I don't know if the ones in between are worth it or not. We are very pleased with the quality of the Vitamix. Maybe people could get it used somewhere; they do seem to last awhile.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 07:59:25 PM by C. K. »

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 08:23:32 PM »
I bought one 19 years ago and it's still going.  The only repair has been to replace one of the containers.  I use it a minimum of twice weekly and often much more than that.
I don't know if the newer models are as dependable but mine has certainly been great.

mjmphx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 12:16:32 PM »
We use our Vitamix between 3-5 times per day, so I can honestly say it is the single most useful small kitchen appliance (the fridge, stove, and sink get used more - that's it; behind it comes the crock pot).  It takes some routine-changing to make it worth it, but my wife does coconut and almond milk, we do smoothies, fat coffee (coffee, butter, coconut oil, salt, honey or cocoa powder to taste - beats the S-bux lattes all day long and is its own sort of energy drink), and then soups, date-and-nut-based cookie batter, and the occasional puree or applesauce.  Yes, we paid too much for it (bought it at Costco before we were Mustachian), but I can't honestly complain after burning through two cheap blenders in three years.  It's a champ.  If you can get one discounted, and are into good food, do it.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 01:20:34 PM »
Recently picked up the Ninja and so far have been very happy with it.  It cam with 3 individual cups you can just throw the ingredients in and blend in cup, change out the lid and you are good to go!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 02:47:22 PM »
I bought a Vitamix a couple months ago when we were bringing a relative out of the hospital and were going to have to puree all his food. Well, I'm happy to report that the relative perked up and is eating regular food without difficulty. So I have this Vitamix, and have discovered that I use it every one-to-two days, making an astonishing variety of fruit and/or vegetable smoothies, and probably eating three times the fruits and vegetables I ever did before. It's great--and I would never have had these results with the cheap blender I owned before…and so seldom used.

TurtleMarkets

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 01:39:39 PM »
Dont kid yourself. Vitamix is worth every penny. It is far superior to cheap blenders.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 11:27:05 AM »
Dont kid yourself. Vitamix is worth every penny. It is far superior to cheap blenders.

Absolutely  +1

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 12:22:35 PM »
When we decided to do a decent blender, I couldn't get myself to spend the money on a Vitamix, not with reviews that had it dying within a few months of ownership. So I bought a Versa for less than half the price but better reviews. 5 months later and I am still pleased with my choice. We are also the couple though that no cheap blender has made it through more than a couple of uses (we killed one on first use). I was not about to burn up that expensive a blender. I understand that Vitamix has a warranty, but I just wanted a blender that worked and kept working.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 11:43:25 AM »
We got ours a couple years ago and used it for a couple months straight, then set it aside for nearly a year.  At the beginning of this year I started making smoothies every day for 6 months on the Vitamix that were delicious.  Got a little tired of making smoothies, so for now we have switched to granola with sliced fruit, but I'm sure we'll go back to smoothies in a couple months as our supply of cheap granola runs out.

This is also the reason why we've gone to the blueberry and raspberry farms to pick around 70lbs of fruit.  We wash and freeze all of them and use around 4lbs a month.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 11:48:08 AM »
I too was going to buy a  Vitamix.  Upon doing some reasearch, I found that there was a blentech out there that cost 179(still alot but less then 1/2 here) that preforms as well or better then the  Vitamix. 

pac_NW

• Stubble
  • Have the stamina to work on it until it's right
    • Take Next Steps
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 12:00:26 AM »
+1 for BlendTech. It is also an awesome blender, juicer, smoothie maker, etc, etc, etc.

Peacefulwarrior

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 07:41:22 AM »
Lucky americans. Over here in Europe the vitamix is priced at over $900 USD. Pretty crazy for a blender (and no I didn't buy one).

kel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 09:58:16 PM »
If you're going to make the investment - and you should have real, big plans to use it outside of smoothies! - then DEFINITELY buy refurbished. I got my Blendtec refurbished for way way less than sticker price and besides working perfectly, it has the same full 11 year warranty (and no paper to fill out - if you have the ID number on the blender itself, you are covered). I love it and use it regularly for all kinds of things. Just having it is motivation to cook more creative dishes at home which helps make it closer to worth it, though still a luxury spend IMO.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 10:14:10 PM »
Lucky americans. Over here in Europe the vitamix is priced at over $900 USD. Pretty crazy for a blender (and no I didn't buy one).

Dang. That's a lotta money. Maybe buy US and have someone ship it to you? ;)

LOVE my Vitamix. Have yet to try out the dry blade for bread, but I use the my blender all the time. Bought it at the city fair for a full package at discounted price. Only thing it didn't come with is the wrench. I still need to get one so I can put the wet blade on my small container. That way it will fit under my cupboards.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 10:24:44 PM »

They're $2k AUD here ($1852.51 USD) :(

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 10:30:04 PM »
If you're going to make the investment - and you should have real, big plans to use it outside of smoothies! - then DEFINITELY buy refurbished. I got my Blendtec refurbished for way way less than sticker price and besides working perfectly, it has the same full 11 year warranty (and no paper to fill out - if you have the ID number on the blender itself, you are covered). I love it and use it regularly for all kinds of things. Just having it is motivation to cook more creative dishes at home which helps make it closer to worth it, though still a luxury spend IMO.

+1

I got my Bledtec at CostCo, not a refurb, but if it dies one day after the 8-year warranty expires, I'll buy another one in a heartbeat.  In a little over two years, I've put 850 cycles on it, so it's safe to say it gets used pretty much daily.  It makes mayo, nut flours, nut butters, pestos, coconut butter, dressings, soups, ice cream, pate, and all kinds of other things.  I'm much more prone to make stuff like condiments from scratch with the Blendtec because cleanup is so easy, and prefer my homemade "frappuccinos" over Starbuck's.  Feel pretty certain that it will more than pay for itself over the long haul.

I've bought lots of stupid shit in my life, but don't count my ridiculously expensive blender among that list.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 12:09:46 PM »

They're $2k AUD here ($1852.51 USD) :(

We just recently picked up one for about $375USD for my inlaws who live in Taiwan.  About to ship it over with a bunch of other things which are cheaper to buy in the States.

MoustacheDArgent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 08:17:51 PM »
I sometimes feel a little guilty about the money I spent on my Blendtec, but i do love it.  It came with a 10 year warranty and cost $375.  I tend to do a lot of reasearch before i buy things and both the Vitamix and Blendtec had very good reviews.  If you are happy with a less expensive one that's great.  I just realized, I'm actually drinking a smoothy I made with it right now.  I make a large batch and store the extra in mason jars and put them in the fridge for later.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 12:15:49 PM »
We went about 6 months making a smoothy every day, then oddly enough took the summer off.  Now I'm slowly getting back into making smoothies again, if only I could remember to throw the banana in too. D'oh!

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 03:11:35 PM »
Recently got into blending. If you have ever been in the market for a blender you must have heard about vitamix. I, too, was looking into getting one. Especially since they have such claims for quality and longevity.

Well, then I got a used blender on craigslist for 35 bucks. It makes smoothies that taste the exact same as the sample I tried at Costco. No different whatsoever. It is assembled in the usa and seems to be good quality.

So I saved over 300 dollars and got a product that does the same thing. That 300 dollars will be put into savings and over 40 years, to when I retire, at 7% compounded annually, will become thousands of dollars, which should be enough to buy a grandkid a used car.

Probably won't have any grand kids of my own.  I spent my (non existant) heirs inheritance on a Vitamix.  I'm rationalizing it as a medical expense,  as smoothies containing ginger and kale have done wonders for my migraines.  I have No Juicer, no microwave,  no clothes dryer and no air conditioning or flat screen anything. .. but I do love that Vitamix. 

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2014, 09:24:50 PM »
I hear the ninja is a close second. My parents bought us a vita mix for a wedding present. They have had there's for 15 years. If your blender from craigslist lasts that long, then you win.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2014, 09:36:40 PM »
I have a Vitamix and love it.

In addition to smoothies and pureeing soups, you can make ice cream/sorbet with no preservatives!

I've made a mango smoothie with just mangoes and ice cubes.

Recently made coconut ice cream. My condo building has a huge palm tree and lots of coconuts. Only two of us wanted the coconuts so I got a bunch and went into massive coconut harvesting for a weekend. A bunch of coconut water frozen as ice cubes to be put in my biking water bottle.

Used the coconut meat to make coconut milk with the Vitamix. Used this coconut milk and mixed in some maple syrup and vanilla, ice cubed it, then put the frozen cubes in the Vitamix to make delicious and nutritious ice cream...no dairy.

That alone made the purchase worth it.

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2014, 05:57:34 PM »
I have the Ninja and love it! I make smoothies, hummus, and ice cream in it.  The only thing I use more than my Ninja is my microwave.

EarlThePearl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2016, 07:49:42 AM »
I was a skeptic but my spouse bought a refurb one and it is the best. The clean up is so easy- hated using the old blender before bec of the cleanup. With the Vitamix you put soap, water in the cannister and turn it on for a minute. Then you rinse it out and done.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2016, 09:43:06 PM »
I was a skeptic but my spouse bought a refurb one and it is the best. The clean up is so easy- hated using the old blender before bec of the cleanup. With the Vitamix you put soap, water in the cannister and turn it on for a minute. Then you rinse it out and done.

That's exactly how I clean my $100 Breville blender as well. 1500 watt mega ice-crushing motor and I've never found anything I can't pulp in it.

thedigitalone

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2016, 11:01:28 PM »
I was never big on blenders, but the DW really wanted a vitamix a few years back so we bought one off of craigslist for $300

It has worked flawlessly, until about a month ago when the bearing that supports the blade assembly seized while in use, oh my, the nice pink berry smoothie that was in process of being blended turned grey in seconds and the whole unit shuddered around the counter top like mad.  After powering down the unit I pulled the rubber cover off and cloud of noxious smoke rose up and filled the kitchen, not good.

Dumped the smoothie, looked on Amazon and for $45 was able to purchase a replacement bearing + blade + drive socket and put it all back together in minutes. 

Amazing product, not only does it work as advertised, it can actually be maintained and used for years, truly a BIFL item, no regrets on the spend whatsoever.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2016, 09:25:28 AM »

Hehe the only confounding factor might be that the vitamix will still be in your kitchen in 40 years.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2016, 09:34:26 AM »

LOVE my Vitamix. Have yet to try out the dry blade for bread, but I use the my blender all the time. Bought it at the city fair for a full package at discounted price. Only thing it didn't come with is the wrench. I still need to get one so I can put the wet blade on my small container. That way it will fit under my cupboards.

Wow, that's a great idea!  I smell business opportunity and win/win.  Would anybody be interested in this?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2016, 02:12:13 PM »
Well, since this thread popped back up...

My  Blendtec now has more than 2,000 cycles on it and is still working perfectly.  I bought the little jar with the scraper lid for thick stuff.  Use it for making hummus, small batches of mayo, nut butters and other condiments.

I'm also using the bigger jar to grind cornmeal from the corn I grow and horseradish as well, and it works great.

+1

I got my Bledtec at CostCo, not a refurb, but if it dies one day after the 8-year warranty expires, I'll buy another one in a heartbeat.  In a little over two years, I've put 850 cycles on it, so it's safe to say it gets used pretty much daily.  It makes mayo, nut flours, nut butters, pestos, coconut butter, dressings, soups, ice cream, pate, and all kinds of other things.  I'm much more prone to make stuff like condiments from scratch with the Blendtec because cleanup is so easy, and prefer my homemade "frappuccinos" over Starbuck's.  Feel pretty certain that it will more than pay for itself over the long haul.

I've bought lots of stupid shit in my life, but don't count my ridiculously expensive blender among that list.

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2016, 02:41:00 PM »
Yes...Blendtec! I'm sure vitamixes are great, too. For me, it was worth the money. Once my bf and I finally move in together, someone out there in Craiglist land is gonna get a great deal.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2016, 07:10:14 PM »
I got a refurb blendtec. It's great. I don't use it anymore as much as I wish, but that's mostly because work feeds me for free.

Is its current use really worth the money for me? No, it was a splurge, a cool thing to have.

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2017, 08:37:46 AM »
Wait for one to pop up on craigslist for the right price.  I picked up one for $200.  That's a lot of money, but I could sell it for $200 and get my money back, so that's fine.  And in the meantime, I get to blend stuff with an amazing 1/2 horsepower machine:) 

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2017, 10:05:10 AM »
I'd rather buy a refurb straight from Vitamix for a little more and get the warranty. They get down under $300 a couple times a year.

The warranty has already paid off for me with a free container.

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2017, 10:51:47 AM »
I got the Blendtec "1560W Total Blender with Wild Side Jar" refurbished, for <$200 last year with a 7-year warranty. It was a great purchase. For those planning to buy it, I would recommend setting a "topic alert" on fatwalletforums or slickdeals. Last year it was on sale for <$200 at least 10 different times.

I haven't used a vitamix before but people's comments about them sound similar, and blendtecs tend to be a little cheaper perhaps due to less name recognition.

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2017, 11:59:36 AM »
I'd rather buy a refurb straight from Vitamix for a little more and get the warranty. They get down under $300 a couple times a year.

yep, that works too.

Miasmata

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2017, 09:53:10 PM »

yep, that works too.

Yup.  Refurb Vitamix plus a double-stacked discount with free shipping a bit over a year ago had one in my house for $255.  This thing crushes whatever you put in it without issue and replaced my failing Ninja that cost nearly the same amount.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 09:55:11 PM by Miasmata »

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2017, 02:52:05 PM »
I bought a vitamix a few years ago when I was going through a  juice craze. It's nice for sure, much better than "normal" store-type blenders. Honestly, I hardly use it now though.

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2017, 04:05:39 PM »
Vitamix, BlendTec and other similar high power blenders are not a joke. They are worth every penny. May not be worth it if you just juicing/blending veggies and fruits. We are an Indian family and use the Vitamix to make spice powders, chutneys etc in large quantities and it does the job without breaking a sweat. It literally takes anything you throw at it and gives the desired output in just a few seconds. Clean up is a breeze. Yes it was $400 at CostCo but the long term savings in time is totally worth it IMO.

gatorNic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2017, 02:03:19 PM »
I hear the ninja is a close second. My parents bought us a vita mix for a wedding present. They have had there's for 15 years. If your blender from craigslist lasts that long, then you win.

Ninja is decent, easier to clean as well.  I have one.  Vitamix and Blendtex are too expensive to justify right now.   However in reality the ninja is fancy food processor.  It will never crush ice or potentially get anything down to as fine as a blender.   The reason why true blenders work so well is the the blades at the bottom and shape of the jar pull everything down towards the blades which makes crushing ice better.   

Ninja can do a good job with perfect ratios of food/liquid/ice but the triple blade design more times than not I will will have small chunks of ice floating around between the blades.

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2017, 04:04:45 PM »
I'm sure quality has gone downhill recently, but I'm still using an Oster blender that is at least 20 years old. Works just fine, though we do need to replace the carafe that is starting to crack.

I don't use it for crushing ice, though.

queensborocorp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2017, 07:47:16 PM »
My mom's vintage Vita-Mix has been going strong for 32 years with daily use. How many low end blenders would one go through in that amount of time?

True story: one time she was blending a smoothie and stirring it with a wooden spoon. She dropped the spoon in, and the VitaMix blended it into the smoothie instantly.

Did she drink the smoothie? Absolutely. Wood is natural!

cantgrowone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2017, 02:49:18 PM »
All our smoothies start with coconut milk. Which we make with coconut bought in bulk. We use ours daily for breakfast and love it.

Great find!

Mel70

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2017, 03:17:34 PM »
+1 First 10 years of marriage, 3 lousy blenders, poor performance, poor design. Vitamix is great.

shawndoggy

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2017, 03:35:50 PM »
We got a vitamix as a gift from my father in law.  I thought it was the dumbest thing I'd ever heard of.  A $450 blender?  C'mon!  Till I tried it.  I have made a smoothie 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year (averaging) for 13 years. 

I've worn out a couple of blades and have even busted a couple of the pitchers, but it still takes my ice and frozen fruit crushing abuse day in and day out.

If you don't use it regularly, it's definitely a ridiculously overpriced extravagance.  If you DO use it regularly, it's pretty much the most awesome blender ever.

MrsStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2017, 05:51:17 PM »
I bought a used vitamix from ebay for 100.  Love it.   Bought the dry blade too and i'm making home made flour, nut butters, smoothies all the time. 

My sister has the ninja and hates it b/c of all the parts/cleanup.  It's a bit of hassle, i'm glad i didn't get one.

I had completely forgotten about the blendtec but my husband would like one to blend baseball bats and marbles in.  Maybe if i find one cheap on ebay ;)

Lenify

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2017, 12:16:32 AM »
Always lusted after vitamix and blendtec. Got a blendtec as a wedding present. It's night and day better than a ninja. Expensive but worth it if you use a blender often.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!